The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

If there's going to be a new death faction and new aelves I could see these being the two in the starter set, similar to what we had for season 2.

That would be a refreshing breath of fresh air if Stormcast weren't in the starter and it would make sense to have death as the other half of the box, there's really only a couple options for what faction the death side could be based off what we have atm so unless they're going to include whatever the new death faction will be for AoS it could be either soulblight, Flesh-Eater Courts or a  Deathmages/Deadwalkers warband all of which could be very interesting.

I will try not to repeat everything others here already pointed out way better than I can, but I really don't understand all  negativism around the reveals. 

Sure, guess we all expected more from a big event like Warhammer Fest UK. I for one, expected apart from a new Warcry warband also a full reveal or launch of Forbidden powers including the scenery and endless spells that come with it, and at least one more Battletome announcement.  But given the delay of Sylvaneth BT and the very limited availability of gloomspite it is easy to understand that both FP as possible new BT are probably suffereing from whatever is currently delaying Sylvaneth, as they all hold components produced in Asia. 

A fully new army or faction, which some seem to have anticipated, I found not a very likely thing to happen at this stage. So that leaves the often heard comment that they should have revealed more details about warcry.  Yes, maybe, I would love to know more about it too. But I guess they want to keep some things the reveal during the actual launch as well, and probably will reveal the remaining 3 warbands untill the launch in July.

The new warcry warband looks awesome, love the hoplite inspired look and lots of great details. Allthough the dude running with an enormous snake on his neck is a bit odd. I’m really impressed how te design team is able to expand the easthetic of chaos, with this new looks and themes and mixed race warbands. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

my bet is the lion is part of a lion ranger warband.

• Like 1

I wonder if forbidden power had very little attention because it also got caught in the trade embargo debacle. 

Seeing as the models are effectively in this months white dwarf (the scenery), and seemed overdue for at least an announcement, I wonder if it's also an issue that they are produced in China. 

Well resumed @SlyRebirth, exactly my experience!

Regarding the new death faction there were also rumours here earlier of a new Nagash book without Nighthaunt although my money would go into Deathrattle first to make the underworld warband finally usable and then Nagash without Nighthaunt or some sort of summon/alliance system different than the other factions 

• Like 1

@Elmir the new scenery was up to display at Warhammer fest and you could “play with it”. Really light and modular but yeah climbing those stairs is gonna be an issue for some miniatures sizes. On the other side expect at least 2 boxes if not 3, cause the square temple is in a separate box. The round one must be in another and the strange Dias with the globe inside probably a third box. And the square temple is huge!

15 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

@Elmir the new scenery was up to display at Warhammer fest and you could “play with it”. Really light and modular but yeah climbing those stairs is gonna be an issue for some miniatures sizes. On the other side expect at least 2 boxes if not 3, cause the square temple is in a separate box. The round one must be in another and the strange Dias with the globe inside probably a third box. And the square temple is huge!

Yeah, I know it was there on show. It's just weird that those models were there, but it was hardly mentioned in the preview seminar (or warhammer community), so I'm afraid this box might also be "looncursed". 

26 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Back to Warcry they didn’t say here but pictures show the creatures that they are going to fight (6 furies and 6 death chickens, internal nickname) so there will be some sort of AI, that looks exciting!!

Did they mention if these are going to come in separate boxes or as part of the WarCry box?

I really like the look of these models, and would like to add them to a Chaos/Tzeentch army.

With Warcry coming out this Summer and Slaanesh stuff out already I wouldn't be that surprised to see a Slaves to Darkness Book this Summer/Fall to put Chaos fully up to date. Especially with that WarCom preview that looks very similar to the Varanguard hand. Varanguard on foot or maybe new Chaos warriors, along with another kit or two and all the Warcry bands coming out and you have a mostly up to date and varied army. 

I suppose that WarCom preview could be from Warcry, but I just can't see "plain" Chaos Warrior types being in the game.

12 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Legions of Nagash update with a dedicated scenery piece, some endless spells and maybe a new unit / model or two would be really nice.  Hopefully we hear more about that rumour soon.

I would be pretty disappointed if this year’s death book was legions. Aside from the grimghast reapers the book is pretty good and that can be fixed with a  faq. The forbidden power supplement will have plenty of death themed endless spells that LoN can use. I would much rather see something new. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

I must admit I find a little strange that some AOS fans have no interest at all in Warcry. We know all the Warcry warbands will get AOS warscrolls. Due the nature of the kits, they will not be limited in the way the underworlds warscrolls are. There is no reason why they can’t all be min 8 models, max 24. Along with the beasts that’s at least 8 new warscrolls for AOS. The eventual slaves to Darkness book could end up being one of the most varied in the game. 

How can i be excited about warcry ? I just know it's a skirmish game with chaos dude, we don't have any other information.

As for the warbands having warscrolls... well, the shadespire warbands have warscroll too, and no one care about that because they are terrible.

I would have preffered a new complete and "true" unit for skaven, fec, fyreslayers and sylvaneth than the warscroll of warbands from a spin-off game.

Edited by ledha
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I would be pretty disappointed if this year’s death book was legions. Aside from the grimghast reapers the book is pretty good and that can be fixed with a  faq. The forbidden power supplement will have plenty of death themed endless spells that LoN can use. I would much rather see something new. 

Id much rather Soulblight myself honestly

I agree LON is fine as it is.  I wouldnt mind a modern revision if it comes to that however.  

Regarding the possibility of a new Death release, one thing I think that can be talked about is that it might have a very different look.

Nighthaunt drew heavily on the design of the old Vampire Counts and looked very tattered overall. The Rumor Engine teasers pointing to Death look like they draw more heavily on the Endtimes era release (a.k.a. Deathlords) with the Nagash like Tendrils and a rather ornate Spine deco on the skythe. This points to something new, since it doesn't really mesh with the existing kits aside from Deathlords, which I can't see being retreaded as a Solo faction.

That being said, nothing is pointing to more than one model at the moment, likely a new Mortarch with the Forbidden Power hints. So it could be nothing but an existing faction (and existing models-then likely Deathrattle, who are almost all modern plastic designs) split of with a new leader or a retread of LoN.

That said, if it is a major size release with the more baroque style of Deathlords, I'm in trouble. That's pretty much what I wanted fro Death since I got into AoS and, but I am already set on Warcry (at least the models) and invested in Chaos right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alghero81 said:

Well resumed @SlyRebirth, exactly my experience!

Regarding the new death faction there were also rumours here earlier of a new Nagash book without Nighthaunt although my money would go into Deathrattle first to make the underworld warband finally usable and then Nagash without Nighthaunt or some sort of summon/alliance system different than the other factions 

Is this likely to happen? That Nighthaunt Units will be Allies only? I just invested into 1k Nighthaunt / 1k Vampires for playing Legion of Night, this would be a oh-so-major bummer for me. 

GW hasn't built up any big story elements for a new Death Army - in fact releasing a new Death army would be a surprise of quite epic proportions, esp as most are assuming the next big release army is going to be one of the new aelf forces. 

There's several things it could be:

1) A return of one of the motley armies from before. Ergo not many new models and mostly just re-jiggling the models that are already released into a new army 

2) A totally new army  (tomb kings please) 

3) A Grand Alliance Death Battletome. Possible, it would be a new Tome and Death IS otherwise currently completed in terms of 2.0 Battletomes. This could be a huge shakeup depending on how it balanced out, especially that since 2.0, GW has mostly  focused on AoS being very limited in grand alliance armies in both their marketing and in their lack of updating the grand alliance armybooks. Noting that the most recent thing of mercenaries has been aimed toward open rather than matched play .

4) Someone made a marketing error and repeated the "new tome for each grand alliance" marketing answer that was carried at the start of the year; without realising that Death is finished, whilst all 3 of the other Grand Alliances still have multiple books to come. 

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Will there be more reveals today or were yesterday’s reveals everything they had in store for the event?

Yesterday was all the big reveals - today we might hear news or more detail on some of the releases as gamers interview/torture some facts out of staff at the event. That said I'd wager most of the AoS news is "its trapped in a container" whilst the bulk will be "OMG This contrast paint" 

Just now, Overread said:

A totally new army  (tomb kings please) 

I could see them doing „ancient Tomb Kings“ which includes Egyptian, Greek and perhaps Roman style. This would be kind of cool (and strange since I 3D designed 2 entire Death Units in Hoplite style two years ago xD)

12 hours ago, the_master288 said:

I'm excited for the other games that GW comes up with, Warcry being one of them.  What I don't want to happen is for GW to lose sight on why we're all here; waiting for news on AoS. They keep combining other games in the AoS universe into their AoS "announcement slot".  Ideally, they had another time when they could release this type of news, so that AoS players who are focused just on larger AoS battles could have something to look forward to at these events.

We are seeing more and more spinoff and niche variants of both AoS and 40k, and they all have in common that they are far less time and money consuming than the base game.

I think the message is pretty clear: GW thinks that there is money to be had in games that are easier on your time and wallet, and they are testing the waters. And rightly so, because that is where the future lies while the Oldhammers are slowly dwindling away.

Edited by Yokai

@JackStreicher from the community site “And we’re back for another day of reveals, sneak peeks and awesomeness!”

So there may be something but I suspect if anything it will be more focused on things like Black Library and ancillary games. Still might be something held back, so you never know.

ANYWAY... just to add fuel to the rampant fire of unsubstantiated new Death faction rumours that will inevitably lead to nothing except claims of being slapped in the face or sone other hyperbolic statement of distress... I give you a sketch of what is clearly, 100% guaranteed, the new Mortarch, Zombie Queen Crelis Arul, the Lady of All Flesh.

BFC26FE2-A56C-48B8-91BF-EF09F4E573D5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think its more that GW realises two things

1) A core of its market are older and don't have as much free time as they once did to game. 

2) Recruiting new gamers is a lot easier if there are games which are cheaper and faster to get into. 

With the former its about supporting the "old guard" gamers. Those who are still eager customers, but don't have the time to start another new army; or the money or both. But you can throw a smaller support game at them which works with their core army that they collected 4 years ago, and which also lets them game in the 1 hour they've got free a week. So it keeps them happy, gives them a product and keeps them within the hobby and within GW itself. 

The latter have always been there, but the market is FAR more competitive than it was back in the 80s and 90s. Not only are there a lot more wargames on the market than ever before, but there's also mobile phones, tablets, computer games etc.... The market is far more saturated with potential hobbies and interests. So GW is shedding its "high startup price" label and offering loads of smaller format games. This not only encourages more people to get invovled, but also means that those getting started can get started much quicker.

With Old World fantasy one of the biggest barriers was the perception and need to have a 1K (at least) or 2K ideally sized army to play. Armies back then also ahd a lot more models than most do currently so it was a huge time and money investment and many just burned out before they got anything finished. Skrimish, the new 1K rules; Shadspire - all these products allow gamers to get involved quicker - one afternoon and you can have shadspire forces ready to go. That means they are gaming, engaging and getting stuck into the hobby which increases their chance of sticking around and building up to big 2K and greater armies. 

1 minute ago, JPjr said:

@JackStreicher from the community site “And we’re back for another day of reveals, sneak peeks and awesomeness!”

So there may be something but I suspect if anything it will be more focused on things like Black Library and ancillary games. Still might be something held back, so you never know.

ANYWAY... just to add fuel to the rampant fire of unsubstantiated new Death faction rumours that will inevitably lead to nothing except claims of being slapped in the face or sone other hyperbolic statement of distress... I give you a sketch of what is clearly, 100% guaranteed, the new Mortarch, Zombie Queen Crelis Arul, the Lady of All Flesh.

BFC26FE2-A56C-48B8-91BF-EF09F4E573D5.jpeg

LET THE FIRES BURN!

For real though I'd be all over that, I would be a little disappointed if she was on a zombie horse instead of that sweet palanquin  held up by zombies with her zombie dogs sitting next to her. Plus it'd mean new zombies would be coming to feast on the remains of the old ones. 

• Like 1