The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, the_master288 said:

I'm excited for the other games that GW comes up with, Warcry being one of them.  What I don't want to happen is for GW to lose sight on why we're all here; waiting for news on AoS. They keep combining other games in the AoS universe into their AoS "announcement slot".  Ideally, they had another time when they could release this type of news, so that AoS players who are focused just on larger AoS battles could have something to look forward to at these events.

I'm definitely biased in this regards though as I sit here eagerly awaiting some Slaves to Darkness news like a fiend, haha.

Yeah, I can understand how this marketing is misleading. I don't think it's correct to think that these other games are really taking away resources from AoS though. I doubt they are not doing a battletome because of Warcry, for example. So it's not like the Warcry reveal would otherwise be an AoS reveal if it didn't exist. They could cut it up into a 30 min AoS seminar, a 15 min Underworlds seminar and a 15 min Warcry seminar, I suppose.

The advertising for Warcry, in regards to being lumped in as an AoS update, is no different than what they did with Killteam.  I get not being that excited if a dedicated AoS skirmish game does not interest you, but I also am willing to bet that A LOT of people are excited for it.  In fact, given that it appears to be the spiritual successor for Mordheim I would not be surprised if this game makes quite a big splash.  GW is smart to be heavily marketing it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

The advertising for Warcry, in regards to being lumped in as an AoS update, is no different than what they did with Killteam.  I get not being that excited if a dedicated AoS skirmish game does not interest you, but I also am willing to bet that A LOT of people are excited for it.  In fact, given that it appears to be the spiritual successor for Mordheim I would not be surprised if this game makes quite a big splash.  GW is smart to be heavily marketing it.

I for one am very excited about it, and I don't play 40k or AoS. Large scale mini games are just too time consuming for me anymore.

If did play AoS I would be really excited about it, because a whole new line of models are being released that can be used in AoS. 40k didn't really get any of that with Kill Team, just repackaging of old boxed set.

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

Because that single army is the barometer we all use to decide how well GW is doing at updates for the entire game?

no, I think they were talking about different things but I have seen the Grey knight situation and I understand that rule writing is GW biggest weakness and flaw when they update stuff with lack of foresight.

24 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Do we have any rumours or speculation on what the death faction could be ?  Is it more likely Soulblight or Deathrattle ?  Possibly a new Mortach leading ?

speculation is that an old ally of Naagash is trapped in the Stormvault and he sent the Nighthaunt to free whoever it is. since Nagash doesn't have many willing allies the list is pretty small on who it is with the first choice in everyone mind being Krell

a theory is that they are updating faction that has Shadespire/Nightvault warbands first and that would mean that Sechpural guard would be part of the army so Deathrattle army lead by Krell sound possible

another theory would be that it Azhag but that seems less likely but still possible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

a theory is that they are updating faction that has Shadespire/Nightvault warbands first and that would mean that Sechpural guard would be part of the army so Deathrattle army lead by Krell sound possible

I'm not sure what the size of a warcry game will be but I would be very happy if I could just plug in a Shadespire/Nightvault warband and play a full game of warcry.

Just now, xking said:

That lion for Warhammer underworlds. It has a Daughters of khaine headpiece,  but the colors just don't look very Daughters of khaine-ish.  

Maybe it's for one of the other elf factions ?  Lion Rangers?

My best guess is either Hysh Aelves or Wanderers, since Lion Rangers are traditionally a High Elf thing, but the shoulder pauldron is similar to some of the Eternal Guard (Wanderer) shield designs.

I'm actually becoming increasingly curious as to the long term plan for Wanderers, they seem unlikely to be rolled into either Tyrion's or Malerion's forces, the new Sylvaneth book doesn't look to include them, and they don't really have a patron god or centerpiece unit to theme an army around.

18 minutes ago, xking said:

I'm starting to think The Wanderers might be getting their own book and their own underworlds warband. 

At first I thought that elf looking warhorn rumor engine was for the Sylvaneth, but not anymore. And we know that the non-chaos factions of warcry are not going to be new models. 

I think we may have a Wanderers release of some kind on the way, either for underworlds or a general release.

This would be amazing and make me regret starting AoS this year with DoK. Woooooooooooooddd Elves!!!!

I must admit I find a little strange that some AOS fans have no interest at all in Warcry. We know all the Warcry warbands will get AOS warscrolls. Due the nature of the kits, they will not be limited in the way the underworlds warscrolls are. There is no reason why they can’t all be min 8 models, max 24. Along with the beasts that’s at least 8 new warscrolls for AOS. The eventual slaves to Darkness book could end up being one of the most varied in the game. 

As for future books we should learn a lot when the ghb comes out. The previous book had 13 allegiance abilities in it. It would make sense to put abilities for armies that aren’t coming this year into the new book. If we do some very logical combinations like putting Devoted of sigmar into free peoples, there are 18 factions waiting for a book. 4 books plus 13 in the ghb leaves just one faction without anything new this year. If they do completely new factions this year there will be a couple more without anything but we should still see the majority of factions get something new this year. It will also be much easier to deduce what might be coming this year. 

If anyone is going to warhammer fest today, it might be worth asking the developers if they intend to do more allegiance abilities in the 2019 ghb. 

After being a bit disappointed about the reveals at first, I am now pretty happy with the state of things. Warcry is looking better and better. I’ve already get Archaon and a gaunt summoner painted up so using Warcry as a way into a slaves to Darkness army is pretty tempting. 

A lot of the biggest complaints about AOS 2 have been in regards to balance. A new ghb means new points and a new accompanying faq. 

Of the 13 aos2 books released so far 9 of them are pretty well balanced against each other. If gw can bring down the level of Lon, DoK, fec and skaven and tweak a few other things we could be in a very good place going forward. 

A new season of underworlds with another 8 warbands will leave that game in a very good place with the majority of factions represented. 

My only regrets about warhammer fest is that we haven’t heard more about the rules of forbidden power and Warcry.

If anyone can dig a little info out of the devs today, that would be great.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 6

If the lion is Hysh aelves... then I am worried it will turn out they are  AOS space wolves, made worse by the fact I hate lions.

If its wanderers then I would be ok, as it means it would almost certainly be a supplementary theme rather then a potentially main theme. Lion rangers could also be folded into wanderers as they are both nomadic aelves that dislike cities.

Perhaps you’ll employ the Maneaters of the Gutstuffers

It must be pretty safe to say that the name dropping of 'Gutstuffers' rather than 'Gutbusters' in the GHB write-up implies an Ogor battletome coming soon, right? Unless it's simply a mistake, but one would assume they'd have edited it if so. 

2 hours ago, xking said:

That lion for Warhammer underworlds. It has a Daughters of khaine headpiece,  but the colors just don't look very Daughters of khaine-ish.  

Maybe it's for one of the other elf factions ?  Lion Rangers?

Looking at the basing I’m going hysh light realm elves. High elves have a history of working with animals, the savannah/ desert basing really fits the realm in my mind, a lion -Esque creature fits as well and of course the bright paint job. 

41288EB7-E26D-4092-84A1-FC33D714D49B.jpeg.522e5f9ccd129c99210c461c6de87cba.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Klamm said:

It must be pretty safe to say that the name dropping of 'Gutstuffers' rather than 'Gutbusters' in the GHB write-up implies an Ogor battletome coming soon, right? Unless it's simply a mistake, but one would assume they'd have edited it if so. 

I thought it was meant as the regiment name. Maneaters band together, the stuff their guts after battle, the name is born.

I rememeber back when I was a youngster all I wanted for christmas was a Super Nintendo. That christmas the Nintendoshaped box under the tree turned out to be something else for my cousin and I got a brand new schoolbag instead. 

The reveal yesterday kinda took me back to that day😉

I get that delays and such might be the real crook here but what I always failed to understand is why GW never preview rules, show the game in action or have bunch of fans test it. 

Why do we have to wait untill the very last moment to know if the actual product is any good?

Im talking Forbidden Powers and Warcry. 

GW has made some really great games and also a bunch of halfbaked products. 

It would be really nice to know if Warcry is worth the waiting and money saving.

You know kill a bit of the unrealistic hype as we are so very often left to speculating and wishlisting.

My guess on the Warhammer Fest 2019 reveal of the dedicated 1000 points rules in the next GHB: encourage people to have multiple small armies to stop them complaining that their only faction does not get anything. It will also help people to have allies and mercenairies.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I thought it was meant as the regiment name. Maneaters band together, the stuff their guts after battle, the name is born.

I also think its more an indication that the units who can be Mercenaries are units with Unique Warscroll, like Named character. 

What is interessant here in the name is the mention of Maneaters, who are no longer sold by GW.

So either a new kit will come out, either its a case of "take your Ogors and play them with the Gutstuffer Maneater Warscroll", which seems more reasonable to me. It will probably be the same thing for the dwarves: buy a unit of Vulkite Berzerker and play them with the unique warscroll of the Lodge.

So we should expect underworld season 3 in september (if its following the previous season release schedule) so we should hopefully see what the lion is by late August. If it's teased at this point you would expect it will be in the season three starter set.

If there's going to be a new death faction and new aelves I could see these being the two in the starter set, similar to what we had for season 2.

Does anyone get the feeling warcry will play like mordheim? which i think would be great. Especially if they have done some homework on some of the fan made campaigns that have been made over the years. There's some great stuff out there.

A few notes from yesterday that might be of some small interest.

- There was a rumour going around at about 1pm (one hour before the AoS preview) that the AoS preview had been cancelled. A couple of the GW staff on-site were asking another staffer about it - clearly this was not the case, although it's possible (if unlikely at that late stage) that the line-up had changed and something of note had to be pulled.

- In the AoS rules seminar at 11am Jervis Johnson showed a screen grab of the points calculator they use. Not unexpectedly, it assigns a base score to the main statline (move, wounds, save, etc), then there's a tick box for whether a unit can fly, and other elements (number of models, weapons - and whether those cause normal wounds or MW, etc). The interesting part is that they have a list of warscroll abilities that are all given basic points costs (usually 20 or 40 to start with), so that a unit that has an ability which causes 1 MW on charging (for example) will have consistency for the value of that ability with another unit that has the same or similar ability.

- Once the calculator has a basic points cost, that information goes to the playtesters to see if the values hold up in the context of synergies, etc. Any differences that come back are then also tracked, and the calculator updated constantly to iterate and refine. The point about the calculator I don't think is to do the work of setting points, but to provide as consistent basis as possible for the subject of balance. There are also other factors taken into account - base size, since it affects the amount of attacks; and one thing called "Puny" which takes into account whether a model has lower survivability (eg single model with 5 wounds) as it has a lower chance to use its abilities more (since it has less chance of lasting to later rounds).

- In the AoS Lore seminar at 12pm Jes Bickham very briefly mentioned a reference to the evolution of the game with respect to endless spells, and mentioned the creation of 'named' endless spells in the lore - but possibly also a reference to what's coming up in Forbidden Power (possibly special versions of endless spells that are different in the way that named characters are different from unnamed characters?)

- Another point made pretty clearly by Phil Kelly was that Destruction would have its focus. This was in the context of AoS1 being SC vs Chaos (and he said that Order vs Chaos would always be the spine of the evolving narrative, naturally); AoS2 being SC vs Death. So AoS3 may well be Order/SC vs Destruction. Not really a big surprise, but nice to understand some of the thinking.

- Jes Bickham was also pretty strong on the point of Archaon coming back "in a big way" - not clear if this is a battletome, or just as part of the narrative evolution. Made me wonder if a STD faction might be led by Archaon... after all, WarCry is basically a big party to please the dude. Anyway, expect him to still play a big part in stuff.

- If you're going to attend WH Fest and want to be in one of the main previews, get there very early. We arrived about 9:30am (30 mins before doors opened) and were queuing for over an hour (partly because they couldn't put swag into bags quick enough!) - by the time we got to the Info desk, all preview wristbands for the main systems were gone, though there were still some good ones (see above!)

- There were good demos available for things like AoS champions - a good way to pass 20 mins, whether you know a game or not. As you'd expect, staff were all friendly and enthusiastic.

- Oddly, the shop there carried pretty much everything you can buy, but nothing was priced... so you'd have to pick stuff up, go through the snaking queue system to the till before you knew how much it would cost. Apparently this wasn't planned... seems like a strange move, so I could believe it was an oversight. As well as the white boxes, there were also old WHFB boxes on the shelves there (square bases only!) - if they had prices and there were some discounts, I think they would have sold a lot more.

I think those are the main points of note from what I saw, I'll add other stuff if I think of it.

EDIT: Oh, and the Contrast paint looks good. Solid colour as with base paint, but difference in shade where it pools (but quite naturally). Doesn't cover larger, flat areas so well, but it's certainly a great way to get three colours onto a model in a much nicer-looking way than base alone. GW army painter I spoke to claimed that he definitely uses it for his work, which having seen the results I can believe - my expectation is that for now the colour range gives you a bunch of useful starting points, but it isn't exhaustive. So if you're looking for a middle red, blue, green, etc, it's great. But if your starting point needs to be different versions (eg Khorne Red instead of Mephiston, perhaps), then you might still want to go base + shade. Not sure if you can mix Contrast well with other Contrast paints, or other paints in the Base, shade, etc range.

Edited by SlyRebirth
One more thing...
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The nice thing about the new warband, apart their two snakes leader, is that swarms are back! With the small snakes pet miniature at the bottom. Have more pictures if you can’t find them online. After the preview I was searching them and Ben Johnson chased me to point me towards them after an hour earlier he told me he can’t tell me if new miniatures were going to be displayed because the seminar was not finished yet 😂😂😂

Anyway my biggest complain is that I did 90 minutes of queue to get to the seminar tickets and find out all previews seminars were full. We then got few teasers for spin off games but nothing for the mainstream game. Compared to last year with Soul Wars you can imagine that as disappointing. Personally had lots of fun and clearly the new Contrast paint was the highlight with something like 50 maybe more spots to try the new paints constantly occupied and everyone pretty happy with the outcome. I just think 34 pots and 2 cans are gonna be a slow investment.

Back to Warcry they didn’t say here but pictures show the creatures that they are going to fight (6 furies and 6 death chickens, internal nickname) so there will be some sort of AI, that looks exciting!!

And their design concept outstanding:

4F9056FF-72E3-4B73-8E1F-F15B3480ADA7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2