The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Have you ever tried to move a 40 block through wildwoods, or worse, pile in with a 40 block on something in wildwoods, with the trees in place? It is infuriating and makes no sense. and probably a large part of the redesign. We play "respect the circles", you can not move across the circles where the trees go.  so the difference is when you're moving a very tall model, but it's likely that it wouldn't fit through the circles anyway. 

Oh, believe me, I know it's annoying af. That's why I'll be glad when/if there new book severely reduces the amount of those things in the table!

These things are one reason I quickly went b from 30-man bloodletter units down to 10-man.  Moving large units around, over, or through pieces of terrain absolutely blows.

Still, the tree is a part of the model terrain. It's volume is more than the circle. A branch in the way does prevent a model from moving past it if it's in the way, just as any other piece of terrain on the table would. 

Edited by Sleboda

54 minutes ago, Forrix said:

GUOs and the Glottkin are too large to fit through the trees and generally don't have the movement to make climbing them a feasible move.

Great Unclean One, sitting in a tree, R-O-T-T-I-N-G! 🎶

Sorry, the mental image of a GUO climbing a tree is just very amusing! 😄

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Forrix said:

As I Nurgle player I hate the Sylvaneth Wildwoods with a burning passion. GUOs and the Glottkin are too large to fit through the trees and generally don't have the movement to make climbing them a feasible move. Combined with the Sylvaneth's ability to just cover the board with them and it can create games where you're big centerpiece models are effectively unplayable.

Uhmm.. this is exactly what the trees are supposed to do. Make areas unacceptable for non flying big monsters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Uhmm.. this is exactly what the trees are supposed to do. Make areas unacceptable for non flying big monsters.

Aye but the issue is that its possible to use the forests to fully block off parts of the map or entrap a model which then cannot retaliate; since you can't destroy nor move the forests once they are down. 

Remember its a trick only one faction can perform in the whole game and there's no counter for it - the nurgle player has no means to counter the forest 

• Like 5

hmmmm.... slight tangent but above comments related to the woods blocking movement of lumbering giant models like GUOs got me thinking.

Would you allow a model to move through a small gap, let's say 2", between 2 Azyrite ruin walls if its base is bigger than 2" (assuming the model has enough movement to completely clear the gap and walls and be set up on the other side)?

15 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Would you allow a model to move through a small gap, let's say 2", between 2 Azyrite ruin walls if its base is bigger than 2" (assuming the model has enough movement to completely clear the gap and walls and be set up on the other side)?

Hell no, I always try and respect the base size where possible .. if I / you can't fit, then its climbing or moving around. Big models might be great at kicking ass, but there's got a be a penalty for being so large :)

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, JPjr said:

hmmmm.... slight tangent but above comments related to the woods blocking movement of lumbering giant models like GUOs got me thinking.

We don’t. Choke point s in terrain add extra tactical decisions. The other way around of course is all good. (So as long as the base fits through it’s all good. )

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Overread said:

Aye but the issue is that its possible to use the forests to fully block off parts of the map or entrap a model which then cannot retaliate; since you can't destroy nor move the forests once they are down. 

Remember its a trick only one faction can perform in the whole game and there's no counter for it - the nurgle player has no means to counter the forest 

I'll also emphasize that this is often 6 to 9 citadel woods and potentially more (I'm not that familiar with the ways Sylvaneth have to put down forests), it's an absolutely huge portion of the board.

43 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Which is an unacceptable mechanic for a game.

Mweh, unacceptable is way too strong in my mind. It’s the lack of interaction with the woods being summoned which is not fun. 

If it were an endless spell that’s perfectly good mechanic. It’s not the blocking bigger models in my mind. A mechanic that lets you influence the battlefield is fun in my mind.

Just now, Kramer said:

Mweh, unacceptable is way too strong in my mind. It’s the lack of interaction with the woods being summoned which is not fun. 

If it were an endless spell that’s perfectly good mechanic. It’s not the blocking bigger models in my mind. A mechanic that lets you influence the battlefield is fun in my mind.

I think the issue not against affecting the battlefield, but that its a very one-sided affair. The Sylvanath player can put them down where the rules allow them too; but other players/factions cannot move, influence nor remove those placed woods. So you end up with a mechanic that is all geared toward providing advantage for one faction only.

IT would be fairer if the opponent could burn/destroy the woods or put their own terrain down etc... - ergo if they could play with or at least influence the mechanic. 

Remembering that terrain setup is normally a 50-50 thing where both players put down terrain and agree to its final composition for a game (excluding tournaments where terrain might be pre-placed by organisers). So the wildwoods is taking something that is typically a joint effort and making it onesided. The new woods should go a long way toward helping out the design of the mechanic to make it fun for both parties. 

Are you all really thinking that something like a Great Unclean One could not just walk through some little trees hedge like it was nothing ? :P

BTW I love that system of preview-by-short-stories GW is now doing for big fluff release like, as @Double Misfire said,  Maligne Portents and Vigilus Defiant / Vigilus Ablaze. 

Also, some interesting lines about "human engineers inventions" and "clockwork armies". Maybe it's to set the mood for something in the future...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the issue not against affecting the battlefield, but that its a very one-sided affair. The Sylvanath player can put them down where the rules allow them too; but other players/factions cannot move, influence nor remove those placed woods. So you end up with a mechanic that is all geared toward providing advantage for one faction only.

IT would be fairer if the opponent could burn/destroy the woods or put their own terrain down etc... - ergo if they could play with or at least influence the mechanic. 

Remembering that terrain setup is normally a 50-50 thing where both players put down terrain and agree to its final composition for a game (excluding tournaments where terrain might be pre-placed by organisers). So the wildwoods is taking something that is typically a joint effort and making it onesided. The new woods should go a long way toward helping out the design of the mechanic to make it fun for both parties. 

Haha that's a long post for agreeing with me ;) 

fully agree on the new Wyldwoods.

Edited by Kramer

15 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just to steer this away from wyldwoods, GW have updated the Warhammer Community site with a new story for the upcoming Forbidden Power Release and may mention one of the spells....

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/10/tales-of-forbidden-power-sacristygw-homepage-post-1/

Anyway, not long now until the Warhammer Fest reveals.... :D 

It's obviously Lauchon the Soulseeker in that story ;D 

54277695_417637082138481_5817706917909187986_n.jpg.5448c46eebda3569a4d0075042261632.jpg

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 4

Rikkit cared more for the immediate treasures anyway. Clockwork armies stood to stiff attention in a pit below a walkway, caged orbs of fire crackled with sentience as they swung suspended from the ceiling, while a sword hung in mid-air between two pillars. Black flames occasionally rippled along its length, revealing twisted runes worked into the metal.

From the recent short story (paragraph above the picture of the two skaven skulls). 

Apparently we may have robots waiting in the Stormvaults. 

@HorticulusTGA They are always interested in things they can steal and "upgrade". There is really old and quite good book from the 6th ed "Vermintide" (no relation to the game) with skaven warlock engineer that has been stealing various inventions (both human and dwarven) to recreate dwarven zeppelin.

Just now, michu said:

@HorticulusTGA They are always interested in things they can steal and "upgrade". There is really old and quite good book from the 6th ed "Vermintide" (no relation to the game) with skaven warlock engineer that has been stealing various inventions (both human and dwarven) to recreate dwarven zeppelin.

Oh yes, I also loved the story of Clan Skryr versus Legion of Azgorh in Tamurkhan : Throne of Chaos about that ! Such an arms race with industrial spying in the midst ;) 

But yeah, there more and more mention of human engineers' creations in the fluff since AOS2 (in the Hedonites Battletome lately e.g., another mention of the cogforts, etc. etc.).