The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, willange said:

Facebook page says that you'll still be able to use the old Wyldwood models if you want.  That seems odd since the template is so vastly different, but I'm intrigued. 

I would guess that you can use the old trees individually to mark out the area but not necessarily use the old woods area footprint base.  It may also indicate that you don’t have to place the new trees so that they physically touch each other to create the wyldwoods area and there is some variance in how you can place them.

I guess once the slow boat from China gets here we will know completely.

They said on Facebook that basically the new Wildwoods replace the old ones, but you can keep using the old ones if you have them.

Edit: Somehow I missed this was already said a couple of hours earlier, my bad.

Edited by Swooper

Couple of things jump out at me, firstly maybe, just maybe, this explains the ridiculous scarcity of Loon Curse sets and they limited the amount of stock they released this week so they have more to push it again when the BT does come out? 

Not that I don’t expect it to be reasonably limited, or necessarily have an issue with that, but to be completely gone almost a day after it went on pre-order is a little odd. Especially as it’s gone in what appears all language versions, even a couple of weeks after release and the English edition had been marked ‘no longer available’ I could still pick up the French version of Carrion Empire.

Secondly, I had to chuckle at the Kurnoth warscrolls. Was it really necessary to split into 3? I mean the baseline stats & abilities are all the same still, just give the different weapon profiles. Reminds me of when I was at school and trying to pad out a project to make it look like I’d done more work than I had or fill up space.

Edited by JPjr

16 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Secondly, I had to chuckle at the Kurnoth warscrolls. Was it really necessary to split into 3? I mean the baseline stats & abilities are all the same still, just give the different weapon profiles. Reminds me of when I was at school and trying to pad out a project to make it look like I’d done more work than I had or fill up space.

It is very sensible for balancing the points. Swords and Scythes could perhaps be done similarly, but bows are such a different prospect than the others. It would be like having Enlightened and Skyfire on the same scroll.

Edited by The World Tree
  • Like 4

I must be in the minority but I’m not a fan of the new trees. They’re not bad, I just like the old ones better. Hopefully these are the Sylvaneth specific terrain and the old ones stay but become regular old trees. More variety is always good.

Edited by ManlyMuppet88
  • Like 1

Forge World had some issues with the most recent Horus Heresy book disappearing in customs or somewhere along the shipping line. It was meant to be available at the Heresy Weekender early Feb but they had to get another batch shipped over which meant it didn't release until later on in March.

Could be something similar has happened here. Heck, it could have even been part of the same shipment.

30 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

I like the old ones better too @ManlyMuppet88
I hope both are still going to be available but this comment on the AoS facebook page makes me think the old ones are going to disappear.

image.png.7577a9b235982368844db306496f8eb4.png

I'm already hitting up eBay to buy some woods that will be sold on there in favour of the new ones :D 

• Like 3

The new trees are really great for swamps so I'll grab a kit or two just for that - I think it would be a shame if the old Woods disappear as they're still great models (and look very different to the new ones) although the new ones will be better for playing with no huge base (then again, one could easily make their own bases for the old trees)

• Like 1

as long as the rules have completely changed and the wyldwoods no longer block line of sight like normal trees do (assuming you can still summon them) then im ok with people using the old ones (within reason), but if they still get the rules for normal trees plus whatever extra then no i probably wont allow the old ones as they appear to have a larger footprint than the new ones (and certain people within the community will try to game the system of '1-3 wyldwoods' as clearly the new trees represent a single tree as each 'wyldwood' rather than the current base with 3 trees as a 'wyldwood' some people will try to play it the old way and i cant be bothered dealing with that sort of cheating)

this is all speculation of course as we dont know how the new ones will function

As someone who has 7 bases of Citadel Woods, I've been thinking about how to convert them to be more similar to the newer models. I'm thinking with enough greenstuff I could do a pretty convincing job - adding hight to the tree and potentially cannibalizing part of the the old bases for the crescent bases. Could save a good amount of money and add some nice variation to the tree shapes!

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

The new trees are really great for swamps so I'll grab a kit or two just for that - I think it would be a shame if the old Woods disappear as they're still great models (and look very different to the new ones) although the new ones will be better for playing with no huge base (then again, one could easily make their own bases for the old trees)

They can't produce an infinitely large range of products. It doesn't make sense to keep 2 different sets of woods in production when you're struggling to keep so many things in stock already.    Even if you prefer the old woods, they are painful to play with, most people just removed the trees and played with the bases. The foliage was always falling off, etc. They needed to replace it if it since it was such an important part of the army.   Similar to how the old mangler squig wasn't that old, but had a lot of problems (melting over, breaking, etc) 

39 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

, most people just removed the trees and played with the bases

Point of note: I've played against dozens of players using them, and only one person ever just used the base without the trees. They are not just cosmetic (for better or worse) and in my experience, people realize that removing the trees is the same as removing, say, a wall on a building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Point of note: I've played against dozens of players using them, and only one person ever just used the base without the trees. They are not just cosmetic (for better or worse) and in my experience, people realize that removing the trees is the same as removing, say, a wall on a building.

Have you ever tried to move a 40 block through wildwoods, or worse, pile in with a 40 block on something in wildwoods, with the trees in place? It is infuriating and makes no sense. and probably a large part of the redesign. We play "respect the circles", you can not move across the circles where the trees go.  so the difference is when you're moving a very tall model, but it's likely that it wouldn't fit through the circles anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Pretty much everyone in the UK removes the bases, even if only temporarily. They are such a hassle to move through. That hassle outweighs the ugliness of being without the tree. People play that you cannot move through the base base. 

The Wyldwoods have been a blight on the army for too long. They are a massive ordeal every single game. With how Sylvaneth models are they get caught and caused damage to fragile branches. 

• Like 1

The main problem with the trees is that there's no way to do it and have the non-Sylvaneth guy be happy.

If I let the Sylvaneth guy take the trees off the bases (even if we "respect the holes") then I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, because the models don't actually fit where they are going (maybe their bases fit, but the models sure don't, that's why the trees are coming off in the first place!).  If I don't, I feel like I'm cheating the guy and being a d-bag about it.  Can't-win situation.

Even earlier that that though is terrain set-up.  Normally we just let the guy who shows up first set up the terrain in a way that looks nice to play on, knowing that you could end up on either side (or might end up playing length-wise or diagonally or whatever).  But now if I'm the first guy, I have to decide how much open space to leave for my incoming Sylvaneth opponent.  Do I clutter up the table so there's no space at all for new forests and be a d-bag?  Do I leave wide open spaces and basically gift the board to my opponent?

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

They can't produce an infinitely large range of products. It doesn't make sense to keep 2 different sets of woods in production when you're struggling to keep so many things in stock already.    Even if you prefer the old woods, they are painful to play with, most people just removed the trees and played with the bases. The foliage was always falling off, etc. They needed to replace it if it since it was such an important part of the army.   Similar to how the old mangler squig wasn't that old, but had a lot of problems (melting over, breaking, etc) 

Infinite sized realms and a billion planets in the galaxy: But GW can only provide example of trees to cover both their main games. It makes perfect sense to keep both ranges of trees in this case. The new ones are clearly design with the Sylvaneth games in mind, but the citadel woods were always for more then just Sylvaneth play pieces. They are terrain for both of their main games. It's silly to replace them and not have both.

As for playing with the old woods, everyone is so hung up on placing models directly inside the base. It's been a long, long time since I've played games of a size where I'd need to squeeze that many models in that sort of space for it to be an issue. But If I still did: "Those models here, right there, next to the trees. They have moved inside the woods". Simple fix. Even a little marker to show the unit is in there would stop someone from complaining they 'forgot' that a unit was inside the woods.

4 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

Infinite sized realms and a billion planets in the galaxy: But GW can only provide example of trees to cover both their main games. It makes perfect sense to keep both ranges of trees in this case. The new ones are clearly design with the Sylvaneth games in mind, but the citadel woods were always for more then just Sylvaneth play pieces. They are terrain for both of their main games. It's silly to replace them and not have both.

As for playing with the old woods, everyone is so hung up on placing models directly inside the base. It's been a long, long time since I've played games of a size where I'd need to squeeze that many models in that sort of space for it to be an issue. But If I still did: "Those models here, right there, next to the trees. They have moved inside the woods". Simple fix. Even a little marker to show the unit is in there would stop someone from complaining they 'forgot' that a unit was inside the woods.

It is combat that is the problem, which gets massively fiddly inside woods. Without the models physically there  determining how many models attack becomes the new problem. And what if your opponent wants to move to where your models are outside the wood but actually inside the wood?

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Oh, after getting rid of the moldlines and gaps on 9 of them I've got all the trees from the old set I'll ever need (or want - I hate fixing gaps) so they won't have to sell them for me - it would still be a shame to lose them as they fit some themes so very well (like classic undead), production capabilities play no part in my statement, more that they're just lovely terrain (which the new ones seem to be as well but they're a very different kind of tree).

As I Nurgle player I hate the Sylvaneth Wildwoods with a burning passion. GUOs and the Glottkin are too large to fit through the trees and generally don't have the movement to make climbing them a feasible move. Combined with the Sylvaneth's ability to just cover the board with them and it can create games where you're big centerpiece models are effectively unplayable.

• Like 1