The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think his point is that AoS has such a refreshing diversity of releases. I know I genuinely get excited to see what the next AoS faction is, be it an updated Battletome or whole new army, just because everything is so different.

Whilst Stormcast do receive plenty - more than they should in my opinion - at least it's a fair bet that not every other release will be for them, unlike 40k, where we're all but guaranteed to get a Marine  release, followed by a Chaos release, followed by a Marine, and so on.

The issue in my opinion is the fact that the 40k universe is stale (lore wise) and already has a huge range. (at least in my opinion)

They are pushing AoS since it's new and it still needs fleshing put and more factions. When AoS starts to calm down (release-wise) because GW is happy with the diversity and range you will see a lot more 40k releases

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

Doesn't make it decent. GW put out great product, but people are deluding themselves if they think that this is acceptable behaviour.

🙄 SMH

I'm more hippie than most, but not only do I think it's acceptable, I think it's laudable. If you build a business over 40 years from three guys in the back of a van to thousands of employees across the globe, you have not only a right to defend it, but an obligation to those employees.

Not that the size of your business is the key determinant. It's something you own and built, so no matter if you are a mom and pop cake maker or a billion dollar a year widget maker, you are entitled to protect what you have from those who would threaten it.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Hideaki said:

The issue in my opinion is the fact that the 40k universe is stale (lore wise) and already has a huge range. (at least in my opinion)

They are pushing AoS since it's new and it still needs fleshing put and more factions. When AoS starts to calm down (release-wise) because GW is happy with the diversity and range you will see a lot more 40k releases

Consider how many of 40k's armies are some variety of Space Marine though. 

Hell, compare Order's range diversity to the Imperium's.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Oddly enough, that was my favorite thing in the reveal.

Perhaps it's the paintjob, but I feel the three of them look a bit cartoonish compared to the other models.

I am a huge fan of these models and am definitely team Ghur. It bothers me a bit though that they allegedly dislike armour, even to the point of using bone weapons, except for the ornate steel helmets. Might have to resort to some creative converting there or bring in 1-2 other models from the Chaos range (Garreks Reavers or Godsworn Hunt comes to mind).

Edited by Bjornas

23 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Consider how many of 40k's armies are some variety of Space Marine though. 

Hell, compare Order's range diversity to the Imperium's.

Since this is the rumour tread I didn't want to go too much in detail but give GW time to sort out AoS and you will see more xenos updates (what I meant with stale is that they can't insert new factions out of nowhere since the universe is well established they can only add sub-factions)

Edited by Hideaki

I think it just that AOS has more design space than 40k since the way they establish the lore kind of pigeon-holed them a bit on the Xeno side but gives them plenty of room to make as many Space marine updates (and Chaos update) as they can, they have so many chapters and traitor legions that they can flesh out. plus the narrative for 40k has always been more of Imperium vs chaos and most Xenos are just background enemies.

AOS kind of benefits from at least saying that each GA is fighting each other as well as fighting chaos.

on the topic of rumors, I heard a lot rambling of GW considering a Seraphon remake since they have one of the oldest plastic ranges from WHF (specifically the Saurus part of the range and all the current resin models), the dilemma is are they going to remake them now and delay the battletome or do it afterward.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think it just that AOS has more design space than 40k since the way they establish the lore kind of pigeon-holed them a bit on the Xeno side but gives them plenty of room to make as many Space marine updates (and Chaos update) as they can, they have so many chapters and traitor legions that they can flesh out. plus the narrative for 40k has always been more of Imperium vs chaos and most Xenos are just background enemies.

AOS kind of benefits from at least saying that each GA is fighting each other as well as fighting chaos.

on the topic of rumors, I heard a lot rambling of GW considering a Seraphon remake since they have one of the oldest plastic ranges from WHF (specifically the Saurus part of the range and all the current resin models), the dilemma is are they going to remake them now and delay the battletome or do it afterward.

Well, if it's true we will only see it in a couple of years sadly

surprise that Funko POP stuff is actually something you can preorder from GW, I am guessing that Sylvaneath BT is going to be revealed at Warhammer feast

Edit: NVM the Funko stuff is actually coming to store next week and is not a preorder

Edited by novakai

@novakai @GeneralZero  not saying it’s the case but they sometimes split up the AoS & 40k ‘what’s coming next’ posts, so you never know might still be worth checking back later. 

Of course if they are holding it back for next week’s big event that could (but probably won't) mean more models. I’m still obsessed with the idea of having a massive Horned God style Kurnoth model and I don’t even collect Sylvaneth.

Edited by JPjr

2 hours ago, Hideaki said:

There are rumors AoS is catching up to 40k in its yearly sales. I think it’s obvious AoS is the better product at this point. A business does not support a failing or less successful product like this. It’s pretty clear AoS is becoming their a product while 40k is the b product. It also helps the creative freedom allowed in AoS is awesome. Right now AoS has more armies in it than 40k lol. 40k is so stagnant the grogs flip out if you try add any new lore or army they like the exact same thing being sold to them over and over and over again with minor updates. They treat 40k like it’s a sculpture that should never be messed with lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

There are rumors AoS is catching up to 40k in its yearly sales. I think it’s obvious AoS is the better product at this point. A business does not support a failing or less successful product like this. It’s pretty clear AoS is becoming their a product while 40k is the b product. It also helps the creative freedom allowed in AoS is awesome. Right now AoS has more armies in it than 40k lol. 40k is so stagnant the grogs flip out if you try add any new lore or army they like the exact same thing being sold to them over and over and over again with minor updates. They treat 40k like it’s a sculpture that should never be messed with lol.

40K is not their A product - their Aproduct is Space Marines alone. Heck I don't know what the sales are like now but in the past marines have been up to and beyond 50% of GWs total sales in miniatures. 

AoS is certainly coming up in the world, but I don't think it will shatter their A product and that is fine. Right now GW is still getting AoS up to power. Plus lets not forget this next year is likely going to be an abnormally high bumper year for AoS sales since the 2.0 system is solid and they are updating a lot of armies all in one financial year. So perhaps it might rise up to exceed or have insane sales; but its not until the dust settles in a year or two that we'll see more proper comparative figures. 

• Like 1

The new huge chaos marine release, Cicatrix Maledictum lore, and Vigilus campaign strongly disagrees with your weird A is better than B now argument. Both systems are in great shape and are not competing with each other. 

As far as sylvaneth; I’d wager we’ll see something after Looncurse has been out for a week or two. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, novakai said:

surprise that Funko POP stuff is actually something you can preorder from GW, I am guessing that Sylvaneath BT is going to be revealed at Warhammer feast

Edit: NVM the Funko stuff is actually coming to store next week and is not a preorder

What if- GW needs time for production because the Sylvaneth release is more than a battletome and endless spells? 

• Haha 1

40k and Aos are certainly on totally different stage, let alone their themes and atmosphere are completely different, or  even opposite

40k is on the road of already decades of developing, its theme is about the rotting and dying and struggling of the whole galaxy, (except greenskinz or nids I guess). Its frame is well-established and development must be steady and reasonable. It is for sure you will not see 'new things' as often as in Aos for there were already so much treasure written in its long history, creativity or 'new thing' doesn't always mean 'welcomed' in the case of 40k (just look at the impact caused by the invention of primaris). Surely a series of events after 8e mainly focused on the imperium,  since imperium is now  facing a disaster never seen before and 40k means to be a surviving story of humankind in grimdarkness of the far future and this is why it is unique. Moreover, it is safe to predict when the dust of crisis of imperium is settled, we will see more from xenos (to be fair they have already mentioned a lot about xenos, take Ynnari and GSC as examples)

Aos, however, means to be new. Although writers have done a great job on establishing the world, especially after 2.0, there are  still so many gaps and mysteries yet to be solved. Without constant content updating Aos can not grow into a mature setting. Ppl usually feel there are constant new things created for Aos, this is very true, because this world lacked so much when Aos was launched!   They used to only have the base setting of the world!

Aos now is experiencing exactly what happened to 40k from 2017-2018 when 8e launched, for all factions need a refreshment of 2.0 rule if Gw still wants them playable otherwise they will be cut out just like greenskinz and Gitmobs (temporarily at least).

What we truly need to consider is where the world will go  after the tide of refreshing finally ends and all must-have factions get released (light/dark elves, traditional dwarf and mortals aka free people, etc). My guess is more campaign books like Vigilus and Forbidden Power in which we can find expansion of rules and development of lore, sometimes get new factions hinted  before in fluff (sky grots, etc). However, my worry is how those talented writers will create mortal heroes, for it appears to me that the time span of events in Aos is usually about hundreds of years, which is long enough for heros (I mean mortals, not sigmarine or chaos or undead) to get old and die.  In this case creating famous mortal heroes will be quite difficult, as long as they do not simply transform every hero into SCE. 

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

You went from ‘there are rumours’ to ‘it’s pretty clear’ real quick 😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Austin said:

What if- GW needs time for production because the Sylvaneth release is more than a battletome and endless spells? 

well if it is a bigger release but they already reveal the Gnarlworm it would mean that any new thing for Sylvaneath has already been created but GW want to have a proper reveal for it (Warhammer fest).

it possible though since the Gnarlworm rumor engine pic was shown off in August so at least with these set of items they been holding off until now to release them

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

🙄 SMH

I'm more hippie than most, but not only do I think it's acceptable, I think it's laudable. If you build a business over 40 years from three guys in the back of a van to thousands of employees across the globe, you have not only a right to defend it, but an obligation to those employees.

Not that the size of your business is the key determinant. It's something you own and built, so no matter if you are a mom and pop cake maker or a billion dollar a year widget maker, you are entitled to protect what you have from those who would threaten it.

I think it is romantic to think that this is done over some sense of history and ownership. From what I’ve seen,  in publicly traded companies that sense of history and ownership is at best internal advertising. The folks who make high level decisions in a publicly traded company are generally focused on short term profit and long term sustainability of the ability to make that profit. The nice thing is that such goals usually coincide with retaining your staff and avoiding lay-offs - but we shouldn’t lionize them as the necessarily the same folks for whom the work was likely about more than profit, or as really being interested in employee welfare as anything beyond a means to an end.

Which is not to say anyone is evil or that it is objectively immoral to use the tools at your disposal to crush your competition - simply that they don’t need our defense. In fact, they probably couldn’t care less what we think on the matter as long as we keep consuming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

well if it is a bigger release but they already reveal the Gnarlworm it would mean that any new thing for Sylvaneath has already been created but GW want to have a proper reveal for it (Warhammer fest).

it possible though since the Gnarlworm rumor engine pic was shown off in August so at least with these set of items they been holding off until now to release them

Get rid of that “if” and we got ourselves two people saying the same thing. Must be true! Rumor time!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Not much to talk about yet, but I’m pretty excited about the “return” of “DoW”.

should be cool to see what sell swords are available 

Hope we are not returning to era of:

"Enlightened/Skyfires everywhere"

At first glance it looks like it might have negative impact on matched play. Curious about the details, right now this is very clouded view we are having on this topic.

• Like 1