The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, Hyperkinako said:

The rest of the WD pics of the scenery are up on War of Sigmar

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3805

Nice looking stuff

I'm not really into ancient Egypt vibe for AoS and never were for Warhammer to be honest but if I paint this scenery grey it should match my Sigmarite Mausoleum pieces and be more medieval in reception. Also there is a mention about this scenery to come from Ulgu. Shadow Aelves are coming. 

The Shattered Temple is a little bit dull but sure it’ll look good all painted up, and being quite a blank canvas does mean you can do your own thing with it.

only thing about I don’t particularly like are the steps leading up each side. I know it would have meant decreasing the number of steps or giving the model a much bigger footprint but I’d have much preferred it if they’d found a way to do it so at least models on 25mm bases could have been perched half way up them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Speaking of rumor engine : a new one !

Clearly some new Chaos Warriors properly aosified ;) 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/the-rumour-engine-29th-april-2019/

RumourEngine-Apr30-Content2ohch.jpg.c5e516cf1463e5003cac94f097b201a9.jpg

As much as I'd like to believe that, I think that gauntlet is more Chaos Space Marine, I have the current sprues at hand and it's a match. Together with some other Rumor Engines there is another wave of CSM and/or Emperors Children this year.

I think on Darkoath/Slaves to Darkness GW has been as clear as they ever can be on future releases: Whatever is part of Warcry and nothing extra for the time being.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

(...)

I think on Darkoath/Slaves to Darkness GW has been as clear as they ever can be on future releases: Whatever is part of Warcry and nothing extra for the time being.

I'd like to discuss this statement that popped here a while back. 

I really do not think the future Slaves to Darkness release is or was mistaken for Warcry.

1) STD (i.e. Darkoath) have to receive a "full" army release sometimes. Why ? Because Maraudeurs and Chaos Warriors, the core of that range, are really outdated. Because STD got a Malign Portent Herald, a Warhammer Underworlds warband, and even a new Heroes before that. They also features in many old and new artworks and books. We already have an established style for the new Chaos Undivided kits (Chifetain, Warqueen, WHU bands, artworks). 

2) Warcry was said to be (at the last seminar) a new, distinct IP, with it's own coherence and aesthetic. It is, as of now, 6 chaos warbands of equivalent size, with around 8-10 models, for Chaos Undivided (like Darkoath), but tied to some Mortal Realms (unlike Darkoath) - with Skirmish multi level scenery and Chaos creatures thrown into the mix (Furies, chaos dogs, chaos chicken, probably more further down the line). It would make no sense IMO that the new STD-Darkoath range was, in fact, just 6 infantry boxes of the same sizes and of the same composition, not looking like the already existing artworks and models. No warmamoth equivalent, no characters, just 6 more or less naked barbarians ? Too strange.

3) The story : "We got the models first than made up a new rules system for them" was revealed in the last few months : it's the general way GW operates (models firsts, rules and fluff later) and was the origin story of Warhammer Underworlds. But a Skirmish game is not an unusual sort of game and was something long asked for, and with Kill Teams success, and since Hinterlands and GW hiring Sam Pearson aka Bottles, we knew they were working on something like this for AOS.

I'm not saying STD and Warcry are not related, they are. They represent different takes on the Mortal armies of Chaos Undivided, assembling before Archaon for his counter offensive to take back the Mortal Realms from Nagash and Sigmar. But I think they are two different lines product-wise. STD-Darkoath will get their own release some day, like Sacrosanct, Nighthaunt and Gloomspite Gitz, even if it's a smaller one than those 3 (because the Chaos range is already quite good, and because Chaos already got Skaven, Slaanesh and Warcry in 2019).

TL;DR : In fact, the idea that "Warcry = the new SDT release" just comes from doomsayers or Chaos haters :P (and I'm in noooo way a Chaos apologist whatsoever :D)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I'd like to discuss this statement that popped here a while back. 

I really do not think the future Slaves to Darkness release is or was mistaken for Warcry.

1) STD (i.e. Darkoath) have to receive a "full" army release sometimes. Why ? Because Maraudeurs and Chaos Warriors, the core of that range, are really outdated. Because STD got a Malign Portent Herald, a Warhammer Underworlds warband, and even a new Heroes before that. They also features in many old and new artworks and books. We already have an established style for the new Chaos Undivided kits (Chifetain, Warqueen, WHU bands, artworks). 

2) Warcry was said to be (at the last seminar) a new, distinct IP, with it's own coherence and aesthetic. It is, as of now, 6 chaos warbands of equivalent size, with around 8-10 models, for Chaos Undivided (like Darkoath), but tied to some Mortal Realms (unlike Darkoath) - with Skirmish multi level scenery and Chaos creatures thrown into the mix (Furies, chaos dogs, chaos chicken, probably more further down the line). It would make no sense IMO that the new STD-Darkoath range was, in fact, just 6 infantry boxes of the same sizes and of the same composition, not looking like the already existing artworks and models. No warmamoth equivalent, no characters, just 6 more or less naked barbarians ? Too strange.

3) The story : "We got the models first than made up a new rules system for them" was revealed in the last few months : it's the general way GW operates (models firsts, rules and fluff later) and was the origin story of Warhammer Underworlds. But a Skirmish game is not an unusual sort of game and was something long asked for, and with Kill Teams success, and since Hinterlands and GW hiring Sam Pearson aka Bottles, we knew they were working on something like this for AOS.

I'm not saying STD and Warcry are not related, they are. They represent different takes on the Mortal armies of Chaos Undivided, assembling before Archaon for his counter offensive to take back the Mortal Realms from Nagash and Sigmar. But I think they are two different lines product-wise. STD-Darkoath will get their own release some day, like Sacrosanct, Nighthaunt and Gloomspite Gitz, even if it's a smaller one than those 3 (because the Chaos range is already quite good, and because Chaos already got Skaven, Slaanesh and Warcry in 2019).

TL;DR : In fact, the idea that "Warcry = the new SDT release" just comes from doomsayers or Chaos haters :P (and I'm in noooo way a Chaos apologist whatsoever :D)

It comes from GW statements that said "No Darkoath coming because Warcry" (this one admittedly only delivered via third party, but confirmed by multiple sources) and "If you want Slaanesh mortals, wait for Warcry" (Warhammer Community account).

We also already know Warcry warbands will get AoS rules to be used in Slaves to Darkness as well.

As for it making sense because of outdated models, all the armies already having gotten Battletomes with outdated models or extremely limited model range tells us clearly that GW does not believe in that.

You also somewhat contradict yourself. You aknowledge that GW always does miniature design before all other considerations, then say a Slaves release must come because of none-design reasons.

Maybe we are lucky enough that a Slaves to Darkness Battletome does not come alongside Warcry. That would leave the Door open to a real Slaves/Chaos Warriors update some time soon. Maybe Warcry actually includes actual Chaos Warriors in some way and we get a new kit that way (they never said warbands where the only releases for Warcry after all). It's come to my attention that Varanguard have the same gauntlets as well and predicting GW has been like herding cats the last few years.

But I think the most likely scenario is a Battletome with the usual company pieces sometime when the warbands finish releasing and that we will be lucky if the warband rules for AoS translate into actually effective markable units.

Every other expectation likely just leads down the same old road of hyping ourselves up for disappointement, as last seen with Hedonites ("Certainly they have not shown everything" "They wouldn't release without mortals" "Look, art with mortals, they are coming!" - Nope, we actually lost mortal options and gained none).

Lets not forget, Warhammer Old World got ignored by GW for a long while so a lot of the armies still have quite old plastics because the old game didn't get a huge revision. So that left AoS with a lot of legacy models and old plastic sculpts taht GW is more than capable of improving upon without even considering any change in their overall visual direction of the various armies. 

So yeah you can point to old models in almost any faction - a few exceptions might be Daughters of Khaine, for example, where the handful of models that are old were released at the end of Old World so the are more "modern" in design aspects. 

GW knows they need to update many classic models, they just don't have the production capacity to do that at the same rate as they are releasing Battletomes. Heck Skaven are still running around with metal models and if Gutbusters doesn't get a big update then there will be two armies in the line that are heavily using old materials. For that we all know that GW will address this issue one day, but that might be in years to come. Plus alongside updates they want to release new stuff, new ideas, new models new concepts into the game. Plus we have to share this iwth 40K where there are armies like Eldar who are also way behind on updates 

15 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

It comes from GW statements that said "No Darkoath coming because Warcry" (this one admittedly only delivered via third party, but confirmed by multiple sources) and "If you want Slaanesh mortals, wait for Warcry" (Warhammer Community account).

All this means is that Warcry is already announced, and Darkoath/Slaanesh Mortals aren’t. They don’t talk about things they haven’t shown in some capacity. 

• Like 3

Just a small add to my above post, I actually wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, it is frustrating to wait for updates and army expansion that just don't come along and then when they finally do, don't deliver what was "needed".

But all that is down to the above mentioned "Miniature design first, all other considerations later" philosophy. And ultimately I am here because I think the design team delivers smashing work and think that is down to the great amount of freedom that, by all accounts, is afforded to them. And propably some serious peer review and quality control. By all we know, Chaos Warriors may have been redesigned many times over since the last kit, but just never greenlit for production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Still-young said:

All this means is that Warcry is already announced, and Darkoath/Slaanesh Mortals aren’t. They don’t talk about things they haven’t shown in some capacity. 

I'd say it is a pretty clear denial by GWs standart. They normally go with a "can neither confirm nor deny" answer and this is not that. They where specifically asked about Slanesh Mortals and Slaves and said "stop looking". Warhammer Community don't normally know what is coming and what isn't, but I think in this case they delivered an answer from on up, simply by virtue of how atypical an answer it was as opposed to the usual "You never know, wait and see".

If we want to go complete speculation, I feel they actually have been caught off-guard by Chaos fans still asking for mortals with Warcry announced.

Particularly the idea that specifically Slaanesh Mortals may still be coming at this point seems rather preposterous considering there is a Battletome with by now known content coming without them.

Are Slaves in general still possible for a bigger release beyond Warcry and a BT? Sure, until there is a Battletome we never know.

But all indicators stand on "don't get your hopes up".

I think a better argument would be that Everchosen is a really old battletome without allegiance abilities and this means that one day we should see an update and recent trends and logic would hint to a combined book with Slaves / Darkoath. When this will happen it’s up for debate (and bets).

• Like 1

Just now, alghero81 said:

I think a better argument would be that Everchosen is a really old battletome without allegiance abilities and this means that one day we should see an update and recent trends and logic would hint to a combined book with Slaves / Darkoath. When this will happen it’s up for debate (and bets).

I don't think the current Everchosen battletome has any bearing on anything. It's just 3 warscrolls. It is more fluff than anything. It's like saying "Well, Battletome: Chaos Dreadhold was put out a long time ago so we should see an update soon!".   
 I don't think GW sees any obligation to update it.  Maybe Archaon and the Varanguard get put into a future Chaos battletome. we'll see. 

3 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

(...)

Are Slaves in general still possible for a bigger release beyond Warcry and a BT? Sure, until there is a Battletome we never know.

But all indicators stand on "don't get your hopes up".

I think @Still-young is correct here. It's just community communication. 

And what do you make of those considerations : 

-  That 6 equivalent infantry warbands doesn't make for an appropriate army updated ?

- That the Darkoath Chieftain, the Warqueen and the Underworld Warband share a common and distinct esthetic, and a similar release pattern than the other Malign Portents Herald armies ?

- Of the "distinct IP" that is Warcry ? We won't see a Warmamoth and so one with a Skirmish game, IMO.

Now, I'm with you that  we shouldn't get our hopes too high, nor feel "entitled" at receiving certain releases, but I think there is enough hints there that the idea "STD = Warcry" is false. And If I take the time to write those posts it's because I'm really enthusiastic about all those new releases, not that I absolutely want to prove something :P

P.-S. ; yeah when I say "Models first, rules after", I mean in general. The difference is that WHU was said to be a test in terms of new games design, i.e. something totally unplanned before the small bands came before the rules team. For new armies or something more common and asked for (i.e. an AOS version of Skirmish and Mordheim), I don't see GW releasing a STD update then going all :  "oh well, **** it, let's make a Skirmish game out of that !".