The Rumour Thread

I can believe that darkoath models were repurposed into Warcry. 

GW have talked on Stormcast about how the rules designers received the Shadespire models and only then decided to base a game around them. Could easily be the same thing here for Warcry. Would explain as well why the new models are all chaos only. 

The 2nd run of warcry models may well expand that out, and be inspired by the game system itself, which was inspired by the original models. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yokai said:

It's not just about the "need" for a faction to be updated, the relative popularity of the faction needs to be accounted for as well. It's basic return of investment.

This is a fantastic sign they are going to update ko soon. I was worried the new AoS specific factions would be eons away from updates to focus on updating fantasy armies but thank god they got the message of AoS fans who were here first. Hopefully the ko update is even bigger than the Spikey bits one  to fill in some serious roster gaps and a big update to make us good again. This rumor sounds really plausible to me despite the origin. We’ll have to take a grain of salt as usual though. 

Seems like everyone has forgotten but they will be release a 2 force boxset called Looncurse soon, remember the video GW teased? It's going to be a value box of Squigalanche vs Sylvaneth with probably a new hero sculpt or 2 in there for them. This is likely where we will see a new Loonboss on Great Cave Squig to replace the current finecast one also.

Also if you think GW sculptors just design whatever they feel like then make a game for them after then you're a little naive. GW do not work like that, yes they give their sculptors creative freedom and design the rules after the model is sculpted but anything they sculpt is still within a strict framework and context of a boxed game / faction that GW have already pre-planned to release. That is why genestealer cult and Chaos Space Marines were all release in a huge wave of new sculpts, they sculptors were told that new models were needed for X, these are the must haves to be resculpted (Abaddon, CSM, Havocs, Terminators etc) and then go and design some in your creative freedom (resulting in Master of Execution, Master of Possession, Greater Possessed etc).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

Also if you think GW sculptors just design whatever they feel like then make a game for them after then you're a little naive. GW do not work like that, yes they give their sculptors creative freedom and design the rules after the model is sculpted but anything they sculpt is still within a strict framework and context of a boxed game / faction that GW have already pre-planned to release. That is why genestealer cult and Chaos Space Marines were all release in a huge wave of new sculpts, they sculptors were told that new models were needed for X, these are the must haves to be resculpted (Abaddon, CSM, Havocs, Terminators etc) and then go and design some in your creative freedom (resulting in Master of Execution, Master of Possession, Greater Possessed etc).

I think there is an element of having planned releases but I do think they give a lot of freedom to the sculptors. I think they plan what sort of boxes they want, such as a large monster, cavalry and then some infantry and let the creatives loose. I imagine it's a very agile process where they brainstorm themes and then the sculptors work with that. I also imagine they have the sculptors working on all sorts of models in between projects, which is how we may have ended up with Shadespire. ;) 

Important note - the GW UK Website has updated the Slaanesh page. New title for it (hosts removed) and they've also removed the Lord on Food, Lord on Mount and old Keeper of Secrets. It's what I expected though a day earlier than I thought they'd do it (I figured they'd do it this weekend or run the stock down on the metal models unless there was a last minute rush and they ran out last night). 

The herald in resin has remained, odd that they didn't replace her with a plastic variation with this update wave. 

Wrath and Rapture is still listed though - guessing that they can't just dump stock on that one. Though interestingly its not yet listed as last-chance to order. 

Edited by Overread

19 minutes ago, Overread said:

Wrath and Rapture is still listed though

Yes indeed, meaning it was not as successful as the other dual army boxes. We are several month after release and still available. The other boxes were successfull enough to evaporate after just few weeks even few days. Carrion empire was a super huge success  for example. All of this make me say that daemons, especially Slaanesh have a niche public, hence the "one week only preorder" even for a super major release like Major chaos god Daemon + several 100% new miniatures.

If the new dual army box is indeed Gloomspite+Sylvaneth, I predict another big shot for GW. This, plus if the box contains a new Sylva unit (other than hero), you'll have to hurry to  buy your box!

• Like 1

Actually without background info on how many GW made and on GW's production plan its hard to say how well the boxed set sold.

Also don't forget Carrion empire sold out fast partly because it was released alongside the Battletomes for both armies. So not only was it new models, but it had new Tomes. Wrath and Rapture is only now getting new Tomes months after release, so its likely its earlier sales were stunted. However it could also be it sold really well and GW kept producing them until they reach the point where the new battletomes came out. 

It could also be that Carrion Empire was made in a much smaller volume because of the two Battletomes being released at the same time - ergo GW intended for it to be a shorter term product not a long term one like Wrath and Rapture. 

IF GW launches the Gloomspite box with a new Battletome for the other army in the set then it might also be another quick-fire duel boxed set that sells out fast and is very popular. Again if GW produced less of them at launch then it might well sell out faster and appear a better seller

Edited by Overread

25 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually without background info on how many GW made and on GW's production plan its hard to say how well the boxed set sold.

As someone who buy several boxes (6+ each time) to build a new army,  I see how fast I sell the halves, how long  is the demand during the next 2 monthes, add to this some strong presence on forum in several languages and I'm pretty confident on what I say. I have absolutly no use of trolling, beeing too old to do so (not my generation thing lol). The battletome is a superb plus for the boxes to sale, but remember forgebane, without codex, sold out pretty  fast , and it was the very first try  of a long dual box history hahahah

Edited by GeneralZero

Not a rumour but this is very interesting - Warhammer Underworlds is getting a PC game! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/26/first-look-warhammer-underworlds-online/

This is a great idea and will probably be very popular. I'm hoping it comes to the consoles (would be great on a Switch) and also enable cross play (please Sony, people want this!!!).

On another note, getting back to Rumours/Wish lists ( :D ), revisiting this image from the LVO, we have had battletomes for three of the Alliances. Looking closer at the Images, we've had Fyreslayers, Skaven, Gloomspite Gitz, Khorne and soon Slaanesh. I think it's safe to assume that we can read a bit closer into these images (with some salt to pinch of course) and I think we may see Soulblight and Gutbusters as 'new' factions. Thoughts?

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-NewBattletomes27tceg.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Not a rumour but this is very interesting - Warhammer Underworlds is getting a PC game! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/26/first-look-warhammer-underworlds-online/

This is a great idea and will probably be very popular. I'm hoping it comes to the consoles (would be great on a Switch) and also enable cross play (please Sony, people want this!!!).

Hmmm totally new game company. No idea who anyone is cause the site just says they are making this game. Not that they have ever made anything or if the company is made of any old pros. The trailer looks good, just kind of wish knew that these guys had experience making similar games.

@GeneralZero one thing that might throw off selling half boxes though is that Wrath and Rapture might also attract players of both armies very easily. Heck in 40K you can take both in the same army whilst in AoS they sort of still can if one takes a Grand Alliance or a Slaves to Darkness army and allies in the models. Of all the duel boxes this one certainly has a higher chance of more people wanting to keep both halves; heck only Karnark is a unique character model, the rest on both sides are core troops and repeat models. 

6 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

The rumor is strongly pointing at Sylvaneth next with a decently big release:

https://spikeybits.com/2019/04/rumors-new-models-battletome-for-sylvaneth-in-may.html

I have no idea why Sylvaneth now, as others seem more in need of updates and adding new characters to a faction with 50% characters as models seems strange as well, so taking it with some salt I think.

The problem with games workshop is they only think of what's the best immediate return on investment, and they almost NEVER make decisions based on the overall health of the game.  (Leaving armies unfinished while releasing new ones for years upon years, removing support for many models some of which were brand new in comparison to the ancient metal ones they still sell, etc.)

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

one thing that might throw off selling half boxes though is that Wrath and Rapture might also attract players of both armies very easily. Heck in 40K you can take both in the same army whilst in AoS they sort of still can if one takes a Grand Alliance or a Slaves to Darkness army and allies in the models. Of all the duel boxes this one certainly has a higher chance of more people wanting to keep both halves; heck only Karnark is a unique character model, the rest on both sides are core troops and repeat models. 

As a player, I know all of this. I just shared my experience on SELLING, the real life "demand on those mini" which is motivated enough to SPEND MONEY. As a result, W&R sold poorly compared to the others. Those daemons especially the Slanesh ones are for a niche people (and rarely adresses the youngest ones).

Releasing the box before both the new khorne and slaanesh tomes also seems like a poor idea. The FeC and Skaven box seemed much better planned out with a double release and some excitement and hype. People are more inclined to start new armies along with a new updated book as well, so the Wrath and Rapture box timing makes little sense to me.

If the Gloomspite vs sylvaneth box is real and matches a sylvaneth release, then that makes a lot of business sense, pushing a relatively new faction along with a updated faction release.

11 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Releasing the box before both the new khorne and slaanesh tomes also seems like a poor idea. The FeC and Skaven box seemed much better planned out with a double release and some excitement and hype. People are more inclined to start new armies along with a new updated book as well, so the Wrath and Rapture box timing makes little sense to me.

I think the timing was GW trying to have something besides Army Collection boxes for the Holiday Season something else to hopefully get some snags from shoppers looking to gift their WH playing relations.

Just now, King Taloren said:

I think the timing was GW trying to have something besides Army Collection boxes for the Holiday Season something else to hopefully get some snags from shoppers looking to gift their WH playing relations.

This. It's an easy box set for them to make, fits in with some up coming releases (so you have time to paint stuff) and can be used for either game system.

I think the biggest thing that worries me with the shadespire video game is how they talked about the warbands. They said they'd start with a few and then release more in updates later, which makes it sound like you'll have to pay for the subsequent releases. That works well enough for miniatures but I'm not looking to get nickle and dimed every time they release a new warband for a video game. If it's something like 20 bucks a season then maybe, but even then I don't think it would bode well for the widespread popularity of the game. 

18 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I think the biggest thing that worries me with the shadespire video game is how they talked about the warbands. They said they'd start with a few and then release more in updates later, which makes it sound like you'll have to pay for the subsequent releases. That works well enough for miniatures but I'm not looking to get nickle and dimed every time they release a new warband for a video game. If it's something like 20 bucks a season then maybe, but even then I don't think it would bode well for the widespread popularity of the game. 

Yeah, I would never ever pay for virtual models in the same way that I pay for physical ones.  In a virtual space you're selling a game, and only a game.  If they decide to monetize like the physical one all I can say is good luck to them. 

• Like 1