Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 1:32 AM, Inquisitorsz said:

I'd be interested to hear which skirmish games you think are better. 

Infinity for me and it's pretty big in my area- my skirmish itch is easy to scratch around here and when you've got used to Infinity other skirmish games tend to feel like poorly balanced messes.

It's worth growing in your area if you can.

Edited by MrZakalwe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only issue with Infinity is MY GODS I wish they'd done a bit more of an heroic scale because their models are tiny! It doesn't help that they've got a seriously masterful painter doing their product work so they look really outstanding and yet require quite a high level of skill to achieve a similar paint effect. I'd class Infinity as the great masters to advanced wargamers skirmish game in terms of the models and in terms of rule depth and complexity on that front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Overread said:

My only issue with Infinity is MY GODS I wish they'd done a bit more of an heroic scale because their models are tiny! It doesn't help that they've got a seriously masterful painter doing their product work so they look really outstanding and yet require quite a high level of skill to achieve a similar paint effect. I'd class Infinity as the great masters to advanced wargamers skirmish game in terms of the models and in terms of rule depth and complexity on that front. 

Agreed, but their more recent models tend to be bigger and bulkier.  The really tiny models were made before they converted to the 3D sculpting (in 2014).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soak314 said:


My one's working fine for Other units (4 of the 5 gobbapalooza!). Try deleting the list and starting again? Most of my old ones were acting really weird post-update.

Hmm ya. I just deleted the app and redownloaded it and it won’t let me add Other Units to the Main Body of my SC or KO forces that I just tried to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrZakalwe said:

Infinity for me and it's pretty big in my area- my skirmish itch is easy to scratch around here and when you've got used to Infinity other skirmish games tend to feel like poorly balanced messes.

 

Have you tried KT arena and underworlds?

When people say 'GW skirmish' he first things that come to mind are necromunda and regular kill team. The former is a heavily narrative system with a garbage ruleset and the latter isn't much better as a competitive game than AoS or 40k. 

KT arena and underworlds, however, feel properly robust, balanced, and compelling. It always surprises me how almost nobody in my local GW based tryhardosphere wants to play em competitively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soak314 said:

 

Have you tried KT arena and underworlds?

 

Necromunda is love, Necromunda is life but it requires a really good group to make it work :)

Tried KT arena and it was quite fun (though I got slaughtered as my KT wasn't optimised for the close confines of an arena battlezone) - will be playing more of it - Shadespire lost me with the card mechanic and how you go about remaining competitive (seems to combine the worst aspects of a CCG with a miniature game). 

There's some good stuff there but Infinity is just head and shoulders above them. 40k/AoS sort out my larger scale games and to stay on topic I have a Meeting Engagements list I want to try that has two War Hydras in it- unless people bring a serious heavy hitter I think the Hydra will present quite a challenge in ME. Will report back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about armies with ambush rules such as the beasts of chaos. Can they still use their special rules to deploy at the end of they first movement phase? Or do ambush rules get negated during Meeting engagements? Cause I would imagine special rules like ambush or gutrot spume would be very powerful since you could have your whole 1000 points on the board turn one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carlos688 said:

I have a question about armies with ambush rules such as the beasts of chaos. Can they still use their special rules to deploy at the end of they first movement phase? Or do ambush rules get negated during Meeting engagements? Cause I would imagine special rules like ambush or gutrot spume would be very powerful since you could have your whole 1000 points on the board turn one. 

There's a whole thread on the rules questions section dedicated to this, but throw the rules up so we can get a look at how they go. Rule of thumb is: if you're deepstriking something it HAS to come out with or after it's contingent. I.e. I wouldn't be able to put loonsmashas in my rearguard and hide them in my spearhead.
 

 

14 hours ago, MrZakalwe said:

There's some good stuff there but Infinity is just head and shoulders above them. 40k/AoS sort out my larger scale games and to stay on topic I have a Meeting Engagements list I want to try that has two War Hydras in it- unless people bring a serious heavy hitter I think the Hydra will present quite a challenge in ME. Will report back.


Good to hear! It's a bit frustrating how dismissive people can be about ME as a competitive format when it's clearly had AoS's competitive flaws in mind with its design. And I'll definitely have to give infinity a shot now! One of the guys I play with calls it 'something you don't play for fun' as the scene here is very tourney oriented, so that's put me off in the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, MrZakalwe said:

Infinity for me and it's pretty big in my area- my skirmish itch is easy to scratch around here and when you've got used to Infinity other skirmish games tend to feel like poorly balanced messes.

It's worth growing in your area if you can.

Fair enough.
There's almost zero Infinity scene in my city, and what little is played, is ages away.
I can't justify getting into yet another game with such a small following locally. 

I have tried it once. I think there's a good game buried there, I like some of the rules, but I also found it near impossible to figure out the game by myself. 
Maybe if there was someone to run me through. I'm a very experienced gamer, but in this point of my life I think I've moved on from 250 page rule books. 

I just had a quick look.
There's 145 pages of rules, 39 pages of advanced rules and scenarios, 16 pages of FAQ and 20 pages of "new rules" 
It's just too much. 

I wanted to like Infinity, and in another life I think it probably is the kind of game that is perfect for me. But right now it just doesn't have enough appeal to make me want to jump through all the hoops. 

I agree Underworlds has one massive glaring flaw (the having to buy cards aspect) which I really hope they fix soon. But otherwise it's a great strategic game. 
I really wish that warband only came with warband specific cards, and neutral cards were only in cheap separate card packs and in the starter. That would be enough to make getting into UW easy and affordable without having to buy all the other warbands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played infinity for a while. It was great unless your internet connection went out and you couldn’t access the Wikipedia to navigate the labyrinthine rules.  

 

It’s also got the swingiest dice. There are ways to control it but bad luck in that game is extremely unforgiving. 

 

The models are really pretty tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...