Leaning models against each other

Isotop

Question

Hi folks. I got kind of a silly question regarding the legal positioning of bases. Normally we have the bases of your models standing straight on the ground, but sometimes, when there is terrain of some sort, we also find our models in "diagonal" positions (imagine a model standing on a small piece of rock with one side of its base). Is there anything in the rules stopping us from "leaning" models against each other (be it with the base or the actual model itself)? I drew a horrible picture in paint to illustrate the situation:

154041350_baseleaningquestion.png.ad2b5f5496990fc957085e93ad7b4aca.png

We could also imagine the red model being rotated 90° to the left and resting with its head on the black models spear. Even though in the picture the bases do not "overlap", I think even this would be allowed, would it not? The only thing referring to bases is this part in the core rules:

"Whenever you move a model, it can be moved in any direction or combination of directions, but cannot be moved across other models or their bases, nor can it cross the edge of the battlefield. You can pivot the model at the end of the move so that it is facing in any direction. The distance a model moves is measured using the part of the model’s base that moves furthest from its starting position (including pivoting). If the model has no base, measure the move using whichever part of the model moves furthest from its starting position."

(https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/ENG_AoSSW_Rules_booklet_web.pdf, page 4)

I am aware that models are not allowed to intersect with other models or bases during their movement (unless they are flying). But ultimately, I found nothing restricting the situation illustrated in the picture above.

What do you think about this?

Edited by Isotop

4 answers to this question

In your picture the red model stands - even if just for millimetres - on top of the black models spear. Otherwise it could not stand in such a manner.

This should violate "... but cannot be moved across other models ..." as the spear is part of the model.

Regarding your 90° rotate example: "Whenever you move a model (which includes its head),  it can be moved in any direction or combination of directions, but cannot be moved across other models or their bases."

As you can't end your move in both situations legally - as it should violate your stated rule as long as you are on top of another model or base - this situation should not occur.

Edited by DerZauberer
Spelling

I've been wondering about this myself. Well, not the tilting of a model on another model, but tilting of a model in general. 

I haven't seen any mention of anything saying they should remain completely level, and there are many situations where tilting them is the logical solution (a behemoth going over a fence, or such for example) - But I have no idea what one is "supposed" to do in that cases, nor if it can tilt itself on another model. I'll do say that my instincts say that tilting a model's base on another model is a big no, just due to how models normally don't interact with each-other on a physical level, so treating another model as a piece of terrain to tilt on would seem a bit out of the blue. That's just speculation though, I'm sure someone will come along with some hard facts! :D

4 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

In your picture the red model stands - even if just for millimetres - on top of the black models spear. Otherwise it could not stand in such a manner.

This should violate "... but cannot be moved across other models ..." as the spear is part of the model.

Regarding your 90° rotate example: "Whenever you move a model (which includes its head),  it can be moved in any direction or combination of directions, but cannot be moved across other models or their bases."

As you can't end your move in both situations legally - as it should violate your stated rule as long as you are on top of another model or base - this situation should not occur.

Fair enough. But I guess we can easily create a scenario in which a model is simply resting on the side of another model without actually intersecting it or its volume (imagine two sphere-like heads touching each other in one point e.g.).

And your interpretation brings forth another problem: Can models even be base-to-base if an overhang on at least one model intersects the volume (the base) of the other? Here is what I am talking about:

898183869_leaningmodelsproblem1.png.4c11a43eba0730d8132dcd72cc25a07b.png

Was the red model in this scenario allowed to move past the blue line? Or is the red model (in this case its sword) "passing across" the black models base? I am in a bit of a hurry right now, but I would be glad to hear further opinions and arguments on the topic. I will check the thread out later this evening and maybe provide some additional drawings. Have a nice one!

I swear I have seen something from GW about how they stated some clarification to this about how since several (ie most) models don’t completely fit inside the bases. Given that problem, overlapping the models over the other model bases is fine but not overlapping the bases with other bases or models since they understand how hard it can be to get in range of certain models without overlapping with the parts sticking out.

A good example is the Leviadon because it’s fins tail, and head extend way out across its base.

Bonus question! How far above a model would you place another model to consider that it is not overlapping the other’s base or model?

Edited by King Taloren