Majority judgement vote on armies internal balance

Dear fellow tacticians,

I created a preferential vote poll concerning the internal balance of AoS armies.

What I mean by internal balance is the balance of options within an army is:

- balance between allegiance rules

- balance between units

- diversity of lists - diversity of gameplays

- any other criteria you can think of 

Disclaimer: this is not a poll about the efficiency of each armies in the meta. 

So... Beyond telling you that I will share the results in 48h, that's pretty much it 

Here's the poll:

https://jugementmajoritaire.net/vote/551bbef999e7d579d9f7c9df5970a002e92ec4e20d5

If you want to share the poll on Twitter

Previous majority judgement vote on the upcoming Death battletome wishlist

Edited by pseudonyme

I just don't have enough of an opinion of most of the factions to participate, I think.

I will say I think Fyreslayers internal balance is solid, Deepkins is dire, and trying to evaluate Beastclaw Raiders broke my brain. If pretty much all the units are bad, does that mean the faction is internally balanced?

• Haha 3

I tried voting but it seems like you have to pick an answer for all the armies and I definitely don't know enough about some of them to comment. I'll note that with Fyreslayers I feel the Hermdar lodge is noticeably better than the other lodges and your only hurting yourself competively if you don't take a lodge as non of the command traits and artefacts feel strong enough to justify  the loss of the lodge rules outside of like 500ish point games.

For Blades of Khorne I feel far too much of the army's power is tied up in Slaughterpriests with their terrain piece and the Bloodsecrator.

Nurgle I feel is actually pretty good internal balance wise. Blightkings are too strong and a couple of units like Beasts of Nurgle and the 2 new plaguebearer heroes are weak but its not too terrible internally. Externally the battletome is pretty weak though and winds up making you lean very heavily on the stronger units just to stay remotely competitive.

In general, I think the lodge/slaughterhost mechanic leads to internal balance issues since it creates opportunity costs that need to be very precisely balanced. Though they are also very effective at creating multiple ways to play a given army and can really add flavor.

22 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

Mmmmmh, I guess you're both right. To answer you would need a good knowledge of all the books.

Seemed a good idea. Maybe external balance would be more relevant.

And even then... if I never play Seraphon who am I to judge if the balance is off? I think it could still work but you make judging every faction optional and you only use the data of the factions that get X amount of votes. 

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

And even then... if I never play Seraphon who am I to judge if the balance is off? I think it could still work but you make judging every faction optional and you only use the data of the factions that get X amount of votes. 

Yeah Yeah, got it 😅

12 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

My faction is weak or not that bad.  Other ones are much worse.

;)

Beyond the obvious difficulty to vite because you should know every faction, it was not à poll on power ranking, but the internal balance of an army within itself.

Created this poll because I got annoyed by yesterday tier lists on Twitter 😇

41 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Yeah Yeah, got it 😅

56 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

Haha it was meant in an encouraging way. Sorry if it read like criticism. My point was that you could still make it work. Just change the parameters a bit. 

Nah, no worries, I guess only people with knowledge of everything can answer it properly. This system is not made for optional answers or "dunno", the concept is exptessing your self on every proposa (my Death poll was à good example I think).

Concerning external balance (assuming that every payer played at least one of each battletome faction at least once) , what do you think is best, that I launch à majority judgement vote before the GHB release or à couple of month after ?

I really don't like those tier lists I saw, and would prefer the feel of the community. Comparing the feeling to the tournament stats could be surprising.

This kind of poll probably won't tell you anything useful, unless you're only looking for overall perception. The idea of balance is often completely subjective and everyone has biases they bring to the table (personal, meta, or community). Not only that, but none of us (that I'm aware) are professional game designers. Everyone thinks they're able to determine what's balanced, good, less good, etc., but it's much more intricately complicated.

Do you really think that I was expecting the ultimate truth through that poll ?  On a game with rules changing every now and then, with  hundreds of références and mostly based on dice rolls ?

So yeah, either for internal or external balance, I wanted to have what the community thinks. No more, no less.

As I said, the majority judgement is à method that force you to give an opinion on every options.

Once again, it appears that I did not think the whole thing through 😅

I think that the same poll à few months after the GHB will be more relevant.

14 hours ago, Enoby said:

Seems like people voted for power rather than internal balance. 

Yep. And it is surprising to see Daughter of Khaine in the top as I recently heard than there is 1 allegiance that tops the others from a distance.

Anyway, as many if you stated, this poll would require a deep knowledge of all battletomes.