Painting models: how pointlessly persnickety are you?

JPjr

Definitely on the pernickety bus. I was working on my Necromunda Delaque models and didn't realise until after I'd assembled and primed them that you see could parts of the primer under their jackets at the bottom if  you hold it at an angle no human ever would anyway.

So there I was forcing a brush into a tiny gap to paint an the inside of a jacket no one will ever see...

Edited by Zadolix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to paint every single detail, do subassemblies, etc. Nowadays for tabletop standard I build everything at once and follow the "if the brush cant reach it, the eye cant see it" mentality. Lots of grey hilts under cloaks as a result! :PIt also helps to make what the eye does see consistent with each other, no weird shading, which sometimes happens when glueing stuff together. Or random gaps for that matter.

If you pre-shade with a good drybrush and apply thin layers you can always pick out some stuff after you are done to add some character to your miniature.

• Like 1

It depends entirely upon the model, but if something is completely invisible when you look at it, it won't get painted.  I take this approach regardless of if it's a model going into an army or into a competition.  It's the same approach that Max Faleij takes and very much a case of "if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!"

• Like 2