Faction specific sections

Booby

There are a lot of people that use this site, and the majority of those people bring in and offer excellent insight into tactics, list building, lore, strategies, and everything else under the sun. I personally get good value from what I read (I’m mostly a lurker), *when I can find it*. 

But, for the love of god, we need faction-specific subsections within each grand alliance parent section. 

I recently started collecting Slaanesh after the new release. TGA is one of the first places I normally go to start learning about armies. But slogging through the first Slaanesh thread of 97 pages, and then the second thread, currently 20 pages, is an absolute turnoff from this site. 

Theres so much good conversation in these threads, but they’re impossible to follow or quickly find specific topics of conversation. Despite the wealth of knowledge all your members have,  I’m inclined to use other sites simply because they’re far easier to navigate and organize specific conversations. 

My suggestion is this: under each Grand Alliance, you have sections specifically for each faction, along with a Grand Alliance General section when non-specific faction stuff can continue to live  

Chaos > Slaanesh > threads

Chaos > Khorne > threads

Chaos > General > threads

This allows users to have more focused, clearer conversations that are far easier to find, read, and contribute to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The reason I don’t break it down is due to death by subforums. 

Im happy to give this some consideration, but to split the factions into battletomes it would be adding a ton of subforums and most of these will be very little posts. 

Look at sites like Dakka and Warseer with tons of subforums that have no posts in them.  You end up with bloated boards that look unused  

I'd wager go back 10 years or so and we likely would have had separate subforums per faction. Heck back then we had forums like The Hive dedicated to a single Warhammer 40K army. However whilst some who established themselves back then have survived (such as The Hive) the internet population of forum visitors isn't what it once was. Many people get as far as Facebook and Google and not much further in. I've seen it in pretty much every forum in a massive drop off of new members and active members. 

That said it might be worth considering subforums for some of the more popular armies on an army by army basis. Whilst that might not sound fair there's no point in giving, for example, Fyreslayers a whole subforum if they are only getting a handful of posts a week in their thread; whilst factions like Stormcast might well be viable if their single thread is clipping along at a fast rate of pages a week.  

• 3 weeks later...

This... won't do anything, literally, anything.

Here's why: most of the discussion already happens only inside faction-specific threads and if you have a question you are left with two options: search for the answer, or ask the question. Same as now. So making more layers just won't cut it.

What can be done that would, IMO, make searching for answers more convenient is adding a tag to threads and posts across the forum, marking them as "<faction name> FAQ" that you can use as filter in search engine. That will require a lot of work from mods to do so.