The Painting Contract - June 2019

Hello folks and welcome to the Painting Contract for June 2019!

If you don't know the rules they are:

Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age Of Sigmar, Blood Bowl, Blitz Bowl, Warhammer Underworlds, Warhammer Quest Silver Tower / Shadows Over Hammerhal, or Gorechosen.

On the 28th of the month the contract closes and you can then post your progress images so that they can be critiqued, shared and boasted about. It is a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone share their progress!

Enjoy!

@Mohojoe & @TheOtherJosh

May as well weigh in on this one because I've started on a bigish AoS project!  Deadline for this is August, so I've basically two months to work on everything.

For May the targets will be:

• Finish assembling a 2k Legion of Grief army
  • Base everything using the same scheme (something that ties in with the tombstones on the E2B kits)
  • Undercoat everything (Grey Seer Spray)
  • Work out the colour scheme
  • Paint the battleline options

It's a little vague as I've not worked out entirely what models are going into the list or the colour scheme I'm going to use - hoping for inspiration on the colours when the new Contrast paints come along 😉.  It is also a massive task as I'm a notoriously slow painter...

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, peasant said:

Dont try to stop me Im going to finish my 50 plagueBearers unit! Which punishment could fit un case i dont hold my contract?

Edit well they are 30+10+10

We’re not so much for “punishment” ... like the grandfather welcomes all to the garden, we welcome all to the painting table.

The reward is in the risk ... if there is no challenge there is no reward ... apathy rewards little ... while hard work gives you armies.

Make sure to post updates so we can follow your progress!

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, peasant said:

Dont try to stop me Im going to finish my 50 plagueBearers unit! Which punishment could fit un case i dont hold my contract?

Edit well they are 30+10+10

As for punishment you could take the virus, that’s keeping me sick.

would be the perfect punishment or reward for a nurgle player😂.

(now I’m only hoping that I won’t be sick for a whole month)

• Haha 2

Tough one this month. I have 24 models to go in my mixed Orruk army. In undercoat are:

5 x Brutez

3 x Gruntaz

5 x Ard Boyz

10 x Boyz

1 x Chariot.

Thing is I am not really motivated to do any of them. I am thinking the last 10 boyz and the chariot as the stretch, or the be Gruntaz and chariot as stretch. I am out of character models for this one, so its a bit of a grind to go... thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kaaras said:

Thing is I am not really motivated to do any of them. I am thinking the last 10 boyz and the chariot as the stretch, or the be Gruntaz and chariot as stretch. I am out of character models for this one, so its a bit of a grind to go... thoughts?

I find I lose motivation when I have too much to do in front of me, maybe it’s the same for you if you prefer character models?

In your shoes I’d put the 10 boyz, 3 Gruntaz and 5 Ard Boyz away so that I only had to look at the chariot and 5 Brutez. Much more manageable. And then only when they’re done would I even think about the next batch. Whether you get through them in the month or not doesn’t matter as long as you have some forward momentum.

Just a suggestion but hopefully it helps!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

I find I lose motivation when I have too much to do in front of me, maybe it’s the same for you if you prefer character models?

In your shoes I’d put the 10 boyz, 3 Gruntaz and 5 Ard Boyz away so that I only had to look at the chariot and 5 Brutez. Much more manageable. And then only when they’re done would I even think about the next batch. Whether you get through them in the month or not doesn’t matter as long as you have some forward momentum.

Just a suggestion but hopefully it helps!

Completely agree with this.  I use the Mark Bedford method of tackling big projects, basically if you have a shelf full of unpainted grey plastic and put your finished model on there, all you're going to see is a mountain of stuff left to do.  If your unfinished models are in a cupboard, when you put your completed model on the shelf you'll look at it and go "wow, they look great!  let's get the next model out".  It's one of the simplest things ever - but it really does work!  This also applies if you have a habit (like me) of leaving your bases to do all at once - you're actually put off/intimidated by the amount you've got to do, so don't enjoy doing them.  Tackling them a unit at a time, though a tiny bit less efficient actually keeps your enthusiasm up.

• Like 2

I made some progress last month and ended up building several units,  which was just what I realised I wanted to do as opposed to paint. At least I have loads of fun new models to play around with.

For this month’s pledge I am going to 

1. Finish off a unit of Namarti Thralls (final highlights on 5 and bases on all 10)

2. Paint Khorne Skull alter.

3. Paint 5 flesh hounds

4. And if time allows, start on my two allopex models while trying not to hum ‘baby shark’

17 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

4. And if time allows, start on my two allopex models while trying not to hum ‘baby shark’

You sir, are a very ambitious painter ;)  No humming? Madnes!

Edited by Kramer
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

I fear just mentioning the words baby shark doo doo doo doo doo will have that in my head for days, in fact it’s too late

This might helpt. Duuun.... duuun  duunnn...

70AFB271-7541-4F15-8C3B-117B527F1F30.jpeg.705372cca91e5f724aace1984aaa23d5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So for this month I have a couple of things I (rationally) want to do but nothing really got me excited just yet. So my pledge is to do two, stretch 3. 

1 build awesome base for Brokk Grungsson / paint brokk*

2. Build church tower terrain 

3. Finish last Skaven (except for: thanquol)

4. Convert thanquol base / paint

5. Convert and paint 5 chaos warriors & 2 chariots 

6. Find and paint 10 daemon slayers/hearthguard bezerkers 

* which I got this morning from my awesome girl in response to me proudly declaring I finished painting all my KO... I don’t think she knows how clearing backlog in this hobby works 😂

Edited by Kramer

My pledge this month: 

finish my gunhauler- making good headway on this already. 

After that, I’ve picked up Brokk Grungsson. I want to take a bit of time over him so I doubt I’ll get much else done this month.

edit: progress on the gunhauler so far.4706DAFA-4088-42B4-8ABC-C672EA3DBBDF.jpeg.11603432c8d92ecc0641cbfe3b0552cd.jpeg

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 4

Ok, I think I am going to give it a shot as well.

It may not seem to be really ambitious compared to others, but considering the fact that I haven't been able to finish a single model in years, it actually is very ambitious.

My goals for this months will be:

- Finish a  Stonehorn.

- Finish a Gutbusters Tyrant

- Make a start with a Ironblaster.

The miniatures are part of a Orgre army of around 1000 pts I bought at the time they were released (what was it 2010?)

I always loved the Ogre aesthetics and was very enthusiastic about the new models at that time. So I started assembling and painting for bit, and then life happened, never finished anything  and left them untouched until now. Really looking forward in finishing them, as even after so much time I think they are still great models. Much has change since then of course, and it is no longer an army either. So I guess I will just pick the ones I really like.

• Like 2