Several questions RE saves and modifiers

ByronicHero

Question

Hi,

1) Can a unit have two instances of the same save? For example, can a Chaos Lord on Manticore have his 5+ MW save and then also take an artefact giving him another 5+ MW save? 

2) Can a unit have two instances of an effect such as re-rolling saves of 1? Can they have both re-rolling all saves of 1 and simply all saves? If so, is there a particular order this should be applied in? 

3) Am I right in thinking that if units have -1 to hit one of my units they can't get any 6s without positive modifiers on their part? 

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

1) Yes a unit could take a artefact giving another mortal wound save, so you'd do the regular mortal wound save, then the artefact save.

2) You can apply two instances of an effect such as re-rolling saves of 1, however because you can't re-roll a re-roll, you wouldn't get to use both of them, just one of them. So in your example you'd be best off just using the all saves re-roll as it can re-roll more than just ones of course.

3) Yes that is correct, however with the new books, most, if not all of the 6+ to hit effects have been changed to unmodified 6's so they would still get the effect going off. However that is just from the recent books so anything older is often 6+ and would not get their effect happening.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SolomonHelsing said:

1) Yes a unit could take a artefact giving another mortal wound save, so you'd do the regular mortal wound save, then the artefact save.

2) You can apply two instances of an effect such as re-rolling saves of 1, however because you can't re-roll a re-roll, you wouldn't get to use both of them, just one of them. So in your example you'd be best off just using the all saves re-roll as it can re-roll more than just ones of course.

3) Yes that is correct, however with the new books, most, if not all of the 6+ to hit effects have been changed to unmodified 6's so they would still get the effect going off. However that is just from the recent books so anything older is often 6+ and would not get their effect happening.

Brilliant, thanks. A few quick clarifications: 

1) Are there any restrictions to that? Given the requisite buffs and items could I have 5 or 6 saves on one unit? 

2) I didn't know a re-roll couldn't be re-rolled. Is that consistent across all of AOS in all phases (unless stated otherwise)?

3) Pertaining to the various saves. If I have an item that causes attacking units MWs on a save roll of X would that apply to any save roll, or just the initial one? 

Thanks for the swift reply! 

3 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Brilliant, thanks. A few quick clarifications: 

1) Are there any restrictions to that? Given the requisite buffs and items could I have 5 or 6 saves on one unit? 

2) I didn't know a re-roll couldn't be re-rolled. Is that consistent across all of AOS in all phases (unless stated otherwise)?

3) Pertaining to the various saves. If I have an item that causes attacking units MWs on a save roll of X would that apply to any save roll, or just the initial one? 

Thanks for the swift reply! 

Your first and third questions are going to be answered by the following. Abilities that prevent damage/wounds, like the Rune shields, are not saves. The only thing in the game that is actually a save is that number printed on your warscroll that says save. Everything else is just a damage prevention ability.

As for your 2nd question, you can NEVER re-roll a re-roll in AoS.

Edited by AverageBoss
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Your first and third questions are going to be answered by the following. Abilities that prevent damage/wounds, like the Rune shields, are not saves. The only thing in the game that is actually a save is that number printed on your warscroll that says save. Everything else is just a damage prevention ability.

As for your 2nd question, you can NEVER re-roll a re-roll in AoS.

Excellent, thanks.