Mercenary Companies

7 hours ago, Eevika said:

Gargants are also nothing to get hyped about as they are absolutely horrible 

They are not that great for competitive purposes but they can be a lot of fun to play with for some people.  I usually have fun using mine.  They are also fun models that you can do a lot with creatively.  I can see why some people would not be excited if they are interested in things competitively, but by the same token these are something that more narrative players can really have fun with.  

Whether it is worth getting hyped about depends upon what you want from this addition to the game.

2 hours ago, TheCovenLord said:

Unless they get a points drop in the new GHB 

Bingo.  I would suspect we see another set of points drop for Gargants in this book considering the mercenary rules they previewed for Gargants, the general competitive dislike for the unit, and the fact that they did not take the opportunity to adjust the warscroll itself in the Gloomspite book.

If they drop the price to 130 or below then you could fit 3 of them into an allies slot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

All they have to do is get rid of that dumb "falling over/failed charge" rule for Gargants and people would start using them. That's all they have to do!

That would be a start. But in the new age of skaven/DoK/Slaanesh/FEC they need way more than that to even survive a round of combat let alone be useful. 

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

All they have to do is get rid of that dumb "falling over/failed charge" rule for Gargants and people would start using them. That's all they have to do!

I would have preferred that as their mercenary special rule.

I suppose the gripe over narrative doubt should be over how one's playmate narrates the reason for their choices. It seems to me both in the lore and history that its possible that two people who really don't like each other may join forces temporarily toward a common end. Survival, greed,  revenge and hatred, tend to be convincing reasons imo. 

Edited by Aden
Grammar

I wonder if you can use mercenaries within their respective armies for a minor buff? I.e. Blacksmoke in an Ironweld army. I mean, there's nothing to say that the forbidden power mercs can't be taken like this. I guess it's a fair trade off considering you're removing the option for real allies at this point. 

• 4 weeks later...