Mercenary Companies

I have read through the Mercenary rules and to be honest they seem fine to me. The rules are the same as Allies, ie. 20% of total points and a strict limit on the number of units based on the units taken from the main allegiance. On top of that you lose the first command point you generate. Allies and Mercenaries are bought from the same pool of points.

For me I now have to chance to collect both a few Ghouls and a few Fyreslayers if I want. These would never really have been a full army for me anyway but I have wanted to paint some for a while. The Chosen Axes is perfect for what I want for instance. So for me this is a big plus to at least the narrative style of play that I prefer.

• Like 8

I'm with you. I love my Kharadron army but I would love to have a unit of Maneaters fighting in my army occasionally.

"Who could forget the Ogres? Not anyone with a sense of smell, that's for sure. Worse manners than Trolls, and that's saying something, but there are few troops you'd rather have on your side in the heat of battle."

—Elodhir Seamane, Elven gentleman adventurer

GW-Warhammer-Dogs-of-War-Golgfags-Mercen

Edited by Mungrun
  • Like 11

It looks to me like they will bring out more Companies, for now it is restricted to the Greyfyrd Lodge and the FEC one whose name I can't remember. They both get a small bonus too so that differentiates them somewhat. I think over the course of more publications we will see Ogres and others get a Mercenary Company.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Warhammerfest round up, Gargants too:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/10/warhammer-fest-uk-2019-live-bloggw-homepage-post-3fw-homepage-post-1/

(they were clarified in the seminar as being for all modes of play, not just narrative)

Ah good to know! Thanks. As I re-read the article I again was reading it as a narrative play update. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 4:32 AM, Lucio said:

I'd better get me a copy of Forbidden power.

Flesh Eater Courts mercanries? awesome I needed some cleanup crew to preprocess the mushroom fertilizer

Looks like the GHB 2019 will be reprinting the FEC mercenary rules, so you might not need the big boxed set after all.

This is really exciting! Having read quite a few AoS novels, there's an interesting mix between forces and even grand alliances that isn't reflected in the rules right now (unless you just play open play). Having rules for a rogue necromancer to join my Nurgle or Stormcase force is really cool! 

I'm in a bit of a hobby lull right now (moving house so limited budget), but I'm pretty excited to be able to put together something new out of stuff I already own that is at least technically useful, even if I end up not actually using it much. 

I've got Ogors and Bonesplitters and Spiderfang/Gloomspite that could only benefit from some fresh new units, even if my competitive Stormcast and FEC would only be made worse.

Might start with the Giants (I've got some old metal Albion giants that could be a nice start), might start with the Freeguild (I've got a whole Empire army in gray that I've never gotten around to), might start with cannons and organ guns (I've got a dispossessed/duardin project on the backburner).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oath Stoned said:

Dont like em. Pushing cookie cutter armies to much. 

This is really just to add a cool interesting narriative focused thing. Competitive armies will not use this. No allegiance synergy, and no command point, I don't really see what's not to like, if it's not your thing don't use it. 

• Like 2

After reading the recent community article I can come up with a number of fun ideas.  I don't have to do much for the giants other than put them on the table.   I could make the necromancer detachment and convert up a Grot wizard and a bunch of mushroom-zombie grots to follow him.  I already had a bunch of dwarf artillery that I had converted up into my old WFB Night Goblin army as stolen/repurposed goblin artillery - now I have a good excuse to use them again.  I might take the Ogre company and make a unit of fancy character troggs.  So many ideas.

• Like 1

I hope we see more mercenary companies added in the future that use "AoS-era" models.  Am I right in thinking it's just the Greyfyrd Lodge one that uses newer models out of this first batch?

Any cool conversion ideas for the Pistoliers and Outriders figures?  I know I've got a couple of boxes of those collecting dust.

'Order of the Blood Drenched Rose'?  More like 'Knightly Order of the Blessed Lady'  😁

...those stories about what happened in the last village they visited were totally fabricated, no one got bitten at all 🙄

I'll get my Bretonnian Knights on the table somehow!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1