Best AoS Movement Trays?

Pretty self-explanatory.

I'm looking to speed up my games. Right now I dread taking units larger than 10 models, but I really want them! 

So I'm asking - anyone who has actually used trays and experienced their utility in AoS games: What are the best ones and why?

The ones I've got are the 3d printed ones by Winterdyne.  They paint up to match your army and have a hole in the bottom so that the magnets in the base still allow me to transport them on a baking sheet/metal case.

However Mini Mag Tray have just started producing a slimline metal one - which I'm currently tempted with for my next project.  They're actually cheaper than the 3d printed ones, but more expensive than the mdf ones.  The thing that appeals is that I don't actually need to paint them up so once they've been bought I'll never need to buy new ones, plus the cloud formation ones are practically invisible on the table - and significantly easier to move your models off when the time comes.

• Thanks 1

So MinimagTRAY, thats me.

I've approched this as a 'What do I really want to use' kind of project. The issues I see with current designs are this:

Rims, lack of flexibility, cost, not ready to use, usable for the entire game not just T1

So from my site... www.minimagTRAY.co.uk

Fully magnetic trays: Made of high grade, precision cut steel the trays are fully magnetic to allow your magnetised troops a surface to really stick too.

No RIM! Finally, no rim around your troops. This allows your troops to get into base to base contact with the enemy. No more ‘counts as contact’ but correct placement of your troops in the combat phase without the need to remove your tray to do it.

Low profile. Steel means thin and strong. Profile less than 1mm means that they can easily stack on top of each if the situation calls for it.

Practically invisible when in use. We don’t really want to see the movement tray, it’s the models we want to see. Low profile, no rim and practically invisible when in use. This delivers this like no other design.

Ready to use. MiniMagTRAY are ready to use. No building, gluing or painting required to use. Just magnetised models and your ready to go. Don’t worry if you’ve never magnetised an army.

Magnetising models is sooooo easy. I've always done it for transport so it makes sense to use it on the table. I did a skaven army in one night. The whole lot.

I am going to expand the range to include some of the larger sizes but alos ways to really get the best use out these trays. Designed for fighting with rather than just deployment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sedge said:

I've approched this as a 'What do I really want to use' kind of project. The issues I see with current designs are this:

Rims, lack of flexibility, cost, not ready to use, usable for the entire game not just T1

Fully magnetic trays: Made of high grade, precision cut steel the trays are fully magnetic to allow your magnetised troops a surface to really stick too.

No RIM! Finally, no rim around your troops. This allows your troops to get into base to base contact with the enemy. No more ‘counts as contact’ but correct placement of your troops in the combat phase without the need to remove your tray to do it.

Low profile. Steel means thin and strong. Profile less than 1mm means that they can easily stack on top of each if the situation calls for it.

Practically invisible when in use. We don’t really want to see the movement tray, it’s the models we want to see. Low profile, no rim and practically invisible when in use. This delivers this like no other design.

Ready to use. MiniMagTRAY are ready to use. No building, gluing or painting required to use. Just magnetised models and your ready to go. Don’t worry if you’ve never magnetised an army.

Magnetising models is sooooo easy. I've always done it for transport so it makes sense to use it on the table. I did a skaven army in one night. The whole lot.

I am going to expand the range to include some of the larger sizes but alos ways to really get the best use out these trays. Designed for fighting with rather than just deployment.

Nice product but not enough options. Would love to see a 32mm 5 straight close formation. I realize there are a lot of possible permutations, but that's the one I'd find most useful.

Etsy- I got printed trays from someone called Mack the Maker and he will probably print 3d print different formations if needed.  I ordered some and the material is very similar in look and feel to the GW bases so it's exactly what I wanted.  I had him make me a custom sized Dread Saurian base, with the same bevel edge and...slope? of the official GW bases as well.  Turned out great!

Can confirm that mini mag trays are THE BOMB.

Got mine sent over to Australia, they arrived super quick and excellent customer service.  I don't know Sedge personally so I have no skin in the game here, just a very satisfied customer.

One thing to point out that might not be obvious at first glance: you can also use the 25mm straight 3 wide formation as a straight 5 tight formation.

i.e. a 25mm base fits perfectly along the row, in between the circles.  So it's invisible with 5 on there, and super flexible (can be used for both tight or spaced out formations).

It's the kind of thing that improves your gaming experience so much that you will never go back.  Once you've got them, you've got them for life.  I can use them for my Moonclan if I'm playing Gloomspite, or 60 Gitmob archers if I'm playing Mixed Destruction.  Then if I decide to do a Squig-heavy fun build, I can use them for that too.  You will get so much play out of these.

I only have the 25mms currently, but I will be going back for the 32mms soon enough.  And again I can use them for blocks of Arrow boys / Morr boys with my Bonesplitters, or Ardboyz with my Ironjawz, and on and on.

10/10 cannot recommend highly enough, seriously.  Love them.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:08 AM, Sedge said:

one question I got is if you have anything for calvary bases?

1 minute ago, Aezeal said:

With piling in and non ranked up moves are the still very useful? 

My thoughts as well, which is why my opening post asked for people's actual experiences.

I _want_ to use trays, but I'm not sure they would end up being useful.

No rim but magnetized doesnt really seem much better than a rim though, you're still going to have to break the magnetic force to get them off the tray.

I 3D print my own, I generally use them until I charge and just take them off the tray as part of the charge move since i know i'll be piling in after that.  It does speed up set up and the early movement phases, and I like to transport them in the trays so I can see how many of each model i have at a quick glance. I use magnets to transport and they stick through the tray since its only 1mm thick.

3 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

No rim but magnetized doesnt really seem much better than a rim though, you're still going to have to break the magnetic force to get them off the tray.

But I think that's the point - you don't have to remove them from the tray when you're piling in.

How would you not?  The tray is a set shape and size, you're definitely going to move beyond that at some point when piling in. An easy way to visualize that is putting a 10/20 man unit into a large based monster, you have to remove models from the tray to wrap around the base.

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

one question I got is if you have anything for calvary bases?

Sorry but not yet. They are being planned. Not 100% sure which shapes I will go for yet so feedback is always helpful. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

With piling in and non ranked up moves are the still very useful? 

This is the idea. The models stay on the tray throughout the combat. I personally use the 25mm 3xClose for my plague monks. They work well having that flexibility. The low profile of them allows them to slide over the top of each other. 

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

My thoughts as well, which is why my opening post asked for people's actual experiences.

I _want_ to use trays, but I'm not sure they would end up being useful.

This is Mubarak thoughts as well I was fed up with trays that only worked T1 and some of T2. I want something that I use all game. 

46 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

So the loss of the rim is key. Without this hinderance your able to slide your models around a bit to fit. They’re not rigidly locked in position. With a magnet in middle of base, models can almost hang off edges of tray and still work  

There is only so much you can achieve with a tray. An individual model is almost always easier to position (unless he falls off terrain then a tray is better) but for bulk movement I love them. 

The 3 model is a half way house. Flexibility and speed. It also ensure formations touch. 

Eg. 3 x 25mm men in tray. 2” reach. First model touches enemy. Every model in unit  has to be in combat. 

The 5 man Cloud I prefer for archers and units that don’t see too much combat but then most people prefer them 🤷‍♂️

As I say. I designed what worked for me. I would say that all other trays are bad, these just have some unique features that people seam to like 👍

1 hour ago, Drofnum said:

How would you not?  The tray is a set shape and size, you're definitely going to move beyond that at some point when piling in. An easy way to visualize that is putting a 10/20 man unit into a large based monster, you have to remove models from the tray to wrap around the base.

It is and it isn’t. Your models aren’t constrained enough to prevent some piling in.  The more models in a tray the more likely they’ll have to move off the tray. Again hard to imagine but it just works. 

I have made my own using cheap metal roofing shingles from the hardware store (less than $1 each) and cut them with metal shears (~$10 bucks).  Draw the outline you want on them and then just cut.  Metal shears cut through those things like butter and it is basically like working with slightly tougher construction paper.

It takes a bit of time is the only negative.  I started using those a long time ago in Warhammer Fantasy for movement trays, then adapted them to 40k, and now for AoS.  That said, I might look into getting some of the precut ones from miniMag since I don't mind paying a bit extra for convenience and quality.

I have not used their product, but it looks pretty much like what I have been doing for years and I can say that I prefer that far more than any other solution I have seen.  The nice thing about magnetizing bases that you plan to stick to a metal tray is that you don't need to bother messing around with magnet polarity.  Both sides stick equally well to metal.  So it is better than trying to use a 2-magnet solution.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drofnum said:

It’s a big sheet of metal and the models can stick to any point on it - not just exactly on the footprint.

You can slide models around - I do it all the time with mine since I also use them to carry and store many of my models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nin Win said:

If you're going to cut your own definitely also get a file and make sure none of it is sharp.

A cheap dremel and a round sanding bit (the most common attachment practically) makes removing sharp parts really fast and trivial.  It usually makes sparks too - so that’s fun!  Just don’t wear a good shirt or pants while you do it.

• Like 2