Start Collecting Flesh Eaters + King Vlagorescu 1760 pts, what to fill up with?

Necronomicon

Hi!

Been looking at the boxes to get a good start with the game, the start collecting and the kings court seemed like a

HEROES
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
Varghulf Courtier (160)

UNITS
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Horrors x 6 (280)
Crypt Horrors x 3 (140)
Crypt Flayers x 3 (160)

MONSTERS
Terrorgheist (320)

WOUNDS: 114 TOTAL POINTS: 1760 / 2000

That's exactly the content of the Start Collecting box and King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host and it leaves 240 pts to spare.

What to do with them?

Bump at least one ghoul unit up to 30, use the royal Mordants battalion for 20 pts. Leaves you 20 points short so against a maxed out list you get to roll on that triumph table for the matched scenarios. The free 6" reform move makes the unit of 30 ghouls or maybe the horrors really fast and I've had it win me a few scenarios.

I would strongly recommend bulking up at least one ghoul unit. You get an additional attack out of them when over 20, and to keep that bonus as long as possible, 30 would be recommended. Then a Ghast Courtier is a nice addition. That lets you take the Ghoul Patrol-battalion, which gives each of your ghoul units an additional summoning ability like the Ghast Courtiers and lets them come in from any table edge. Doing so would however cost you another 380 points, so you'd have to drop something from your list. I would suggest dropping the three horrors and the flayers, giving you 160 points worth of summoning, meaning that you can either summon in the Flayers or more Horrors on your first turn.

Good point. I wasn't sure of the difference between the zombro dragon and the gheist, but looking at them again, the spell on the gheist is redundant and I feel like the damage output is more consistent. I've been using the dragon for a while and it has done great things for me. I think the gheist is better as a lone monster.

Good point. I wasn't sure of the difference between the zombro dragon and the gheist, but looking at them again, the spell on the gheist is redundant and I feel like the damage output is more consistent. I've been using the dragon for a while and it has done great things for me. I think the gheist is better as a lone monster.

Totally agree. He's much better lone monster out of the two.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

the spell on the gheist is redundant

Depends what you have. If you can get two 5+ ward saves on a big blob of Crypt Horrors or on GKoTG with a Chaos Tomb Blade or Cursed Book, then you can have yourself something that's very hard to take down.

I'm currently running something similar and give it thought.. 

1x King on terror

1x King 

1x varghulf 

1x ghast courtier 

30x ghouls

20x ghouls 

10x ghouls 

6x horrors 

1x terror 

kings ghouls battalion 

this gives me a lot of options for bringing back (reinforcements) ghouls, the horrors, terror and varghulf are tanks and hit hard.. Not to mention the buffs from the kings and varghulf. 

This two boxes leave you a ton of options (that's what I did) now you just need more ghouls 

On 8/9/2016 at 10:00 AM, Sutek said:

Definitely buy more ghouls and if you can work out the points a Crypt Ghast courtier.  I'd also build one of the Terrorgheists as a Zombie dragon.

Agree - take the terrorgheist without a ghoul king on top as a zombie dragon instead. Against high bravery armies it'll do more, and you still get the better command ability for the GK on terrorgheist.

Archived