Stormcast command ability if not using a Stormhost keyword

darranh1

1 hour ago, darranh1 said:

Do stormcast ETERNALS get to choose a stormcast command ability if I choose not to use Stormhost keyword so I can select my battle trait staunch defender. 

There are some terms thrown together in a strange way. First of all "Straunch Defender" is a Command Trait. Command Abilities are another mechanic, as well as battle traits are another mechanic (page 117 in the Battletome).

If you choose a stormhost you are forced to use the Command Trait and Artefact of the Stormhost. If you don't choose a Stormhost you can use the one of the Command Traits and Artefacts from page 118 of the battletome.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

There are some terms thrown together in a strange way. First of all "Straunch Defender" is a Command Trait. Command Abilities are another mechanic, as well as battle traits are another mechanic (page 117 in the Battletome).

If you choose a stormhost you are forced to use the Command Trait and Artefact of the Stormhost. If you don't choose a Stormhost you can use the one of the Command Traits and Artefacts from page 118 of the battletome.

Sorry to be confusing. The stormhosts also get an additional command ability but I don’t see any additional command abilities if I don’t choose a Stormhost.

I really like staunch defender which is why Id prefer not to have a Stormhost keyword. 

9 minutes ago, darranh1 said:

Sorry to be confusing. The stormhosts also get an additional command ability but I don’t see any additional command abilities if I don’t choose a Stormhost.

In case of Command Abilities.

You get three with the core rules ("At the double", "Forward to Victory" and "Inspiring Presence") + the command abilities of the Hero Warscrolls you use +the Allegiance can have Command Abilities (in case of Stormcast Eternals it is only through the Stormhosts)

Edited by EMMachine

On 5/17/2019 at 6:05 AM, darranh1 said:

I really like staunch defender which is why Id prefer not to have a Stormhost keyword. 

Your options are:

No Stormhost chosen: You may choose Staunch Defender as your general's Command Trait.

You choose a Stormhost: Your general MUST have that Stormhost's Command Trait instead. No Staunch Defender.

Stormhosts give you a bonus (extra command abilities, bonuses abilities, etc.) but at the cost of requiring your Command Trait and first artifact be what the Stormhost has for you.

So those are your two options. If you want Staunch Defender, but you also want to use one of the Stormhost's abilities, then I am afraid you are out of luck. If you want Staunch Defender, then just ignore the Stormhosts all together.