How many units have which saves?

Coyote

Question

I love mathhammer and statistics- but am still newer and have limited experience with opponents.

Question - for units with saves - like 6+, 5+, 4+,  3+ 

Which are the most  common Saves we see in the game?  Do most average Battleline have 5+?

Is there a breakdown by units in the game by their saves?

Otherwise I suppose I’ll start looking Warscroll by Warscroll.

3 answers to this question

So it changes a little from unit to unit, but by general principle, 5+ and 4+ are the most common. 6+ and - are kinda low / bad but often compensated through high wounds or ward saves or cheap cost. 3+ and 2+ are considered high saves and a natural 2+ is quite rare.  There are some aesthetical cues which are reasonably consistent throughout the game. There are usually adjustments as well based on "quality" of the troops.

3+ saves are mostly elite stuff like heroes, some monsters etc. Cant think of a model with a innate 2+ save.

Generally, lightly armored units are around 5+ and heavy armor units are around 4+. 

For example most of the classic battleline units (10 man) have a 5+ save. Think Dispossessed Warriors, Sylvaneth Dryads,  Eternal Guard, 
Most classic wizard style caster heroes also have a 5+ save, (Elven Sorceresses, Human battlemages etc).  However stormcast caster heros have often high save (3+) as they are heavily armored and magical.

Most units with a 4+ save are also heavily armored, like most of the stormcast, ironjawz, chaos warriors, 

6+ or - is generally for stuff that is either very lightly armored or just not armored at all like Blood Reavers, Hounds, Witch Aelves, Savage Orruks, Skeletons etc. 

Armor is not the only thing though, there are usually adjustments for size, skill with weapons, shields and troop quality etc. This can go both ways as larger things can be easier to hit as  they are an easier target, but also harder to hit due to tougher skin or sth. 

In the end I would reccommend looking warscroll by warscroll through the whole list of things anyway to have a general idea of what every faction does anyway. Know your enemy and all that. It will help you in the long run. I reccommend looking at like a faction a day and try to understand their rules and think of how you would play with them and how you would play against them. That way you have a reasonable bite size everyday and you dont overwhelm yourself.

Or if you just care about saves you can look through the units and keep the type of things they wear / quality / lore they have in mind. There is a resonable pattern and you will be able to predict the save (and other things) quite well just by picking up on these cues.