Zombies, worth it?

Charlo

So are Zombies ever worth it?

Mathhammer internet talk says that Skellies are always better (and better models obviously), but Zombies can get a very silly statline and have some nice support from Necros/ Corpse Carts etc getting to eventually throw out attacks on 2+/3+ and fight twice.

Thoughts?

I sold my 60 strong blob... I miss my 60 strong blob. 

Personally I think they're great and if they ever bring back their old Shambling Horde rule I'd be all over them again. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Charlo said:

What was the old rule?

They have been able to merge multiple units into one bigger, with some restrictions

The most obvious profit was that you could bring 3 units of 10 and merge them in your first turn, essentially covering your battleline needs with 1 big unit of chaff

• Like 1

Gnarly. Bring two blobs of 60 and just keep shambling. Shame they lost that then - I guess they a casualty of GWs "well they're old models so gotta have poor rules to reduce sales so we can scrap 'em eventually!"

It's likely due to unpopular models and the sheer amount of them needed; a unit of 60 anything are automatically some of the best objective holders; although skeletons are easier to paint and have better immediate durability. If you have the patience I'm sure zombies will work just fine as they do have some advantages. I reckon they would be great at flooding the board and just outright preventing nasty units like gristlegore terrorgheists from moving over them. Not to mention that they are very cheap.

Zombies are unfortunately in an odd place. They are less offensive the skeletons, less defensive that chainrasps, and of course lack the speed of wolves. They lack any sort of special identity to make them stand out from our other battleline options. Pretty much the only thing unique they can do is take up more space on the board due to 60 man units, which is very much a double edged sword.

• Like 1

This is going purely off my somewhat unreliable memory but... I saw someone post their zombie horde on fb. It was something like 180 zombies and he'd reported that he'd won a fair number of games running it. 

If you're out there reading this, your army looked truly awesome. 

Edited by lare2

Up till now my .60cal zombers mob never disappointed me. With vampire, necromancer and a corpse cart that thing grinds through everything.

You have 20 wounds before your ridiculous 2+\3+ goes up to a not too shabby 3+\4+.

Your regeneration lets you almost reposition your unit after the Bloodthirster had his way with them, before he went down.

A lot of things might look better on paper or are better in certain aspects, but that does not make them bad or not useful...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Zombies are unfortunately in an odd place. They are less offensive the skeletons, less defensive that chainrasps, and of course lack the speed of wolves. They lack any sort of special identity to make them stand out from our other battleline options. Pretty much the only thing unique they can do is take up more space on the board due to 60 man units, which is very much a double edged sword.

Easy way to make them stand out.

They flat out ignore mortal wounds.

An actual wound is someone going to the effort of stabbing something to death and ensuring its dead. MW are big explosions and cool magic attacks which kill most living things but ignore that zombies keep coming.