AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

There is written that you can't take FEC Units with the Keywords Royal Terrorgheist and Royal Zombie Dragon, that includes Abhorranr Ghoul King on Terrorgheist. Thus you can't take him as a Mercenarie.

But in LoG you got plenty of -Bravery + the new Endless Spell Horrorghast. You can easiely debuff Bravery for -5 and even more. As your Mercenaries you should choose a unit of 6 Crypt Flayers. Each of them got a Missile attack. You roll 2D6 (-2, when more than 3" away) and substract it from the targets Bravery. on an average 7 and the before said -5 to Bravery, most units will end something between 2-4 Bravery. Your Flayers will do 2 Mortal Wounds each on a unit with a Bravery of 8 which is between 10-3" away. 12 MW for 340 Points is silly. it could get even harder, if the target got just 7 Bravery its 18 MW 😎

Edited by Bademeister

28 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Do they profit from alliance rules like the 6+ death save ?

How many points ?

Only FEC and fireslayers?

- Not, they're not part of the allegiance so no bonus

- In pitched battle it's the classic amont of allied points (so 40 at 2000 points)

- Yes

12 minutes ago, Bademeister said:

There is written that you can't take FEC Units with the Keywords Royal Terrorgheist and Royal Zombie Dragon, that includes Abhorranr Ghoul King on Terrorgheist. Thus you can't take him as a Mercenarie.

But in LoG you got plenty of -Bravery + the new Endless Spell Horrorghast. You can easiely debuff Bravery for -5 and even more. As your Mercenaries you should choose a unit of 6 Crypt Flayers. Each of them got a Missile attack. You roll 2D6 (-2, when more than 3" away) and substract it from the targets Bravery. on an average 7 and the before said -5 to Bravery, most units will end something between 2-4 Bravery. Your Flayers will do 2 Mortal Wounds each on a unit with a Bravery of 8 which is between 10-3" away. 12 MW for 340 Points is silly. it could get even harder, if the target got just 7 Bravery its 18 MW 😎

Well, maybe the app and website are not updated but the Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist DOES NOT have the ROYAL TERRORGHEIST keyword. And it does not say that you can't take "FEC Units with the Keywords Royal Terrorgheist and Royal Zombie Dragon", only that Royal Terrorgheist and Royal Zombie Dragon cannot be taken as mercenaries. It's not written in bold and therefore it's not the keyword (which, again, is not on the Abhorrant King anyway).

It really doesnt matter what the app says, the app can be wrong. Until there is a specific FAQ, battalions can't be used in LoG. Which might well be a good thing, as battalions being legal would make the NH *absolutely* pointless instead of just mostly pointless in the face of LoG :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ianob said:

It really doesnt matter what the app says, the app can be wrong. Until there is a specific FAQ, battalions can't be used in LoG. Which might well be a good thing, as battalions being legal would make the NH *absolutely* pointless instead of just mostly pointless in the face of LoG :)

I'm less interested in battalions and more interested in if we can take a terrorgheist. We can take a AGKoTG as a mercenary, but I would prefer a normal terrorgheist if possible.

Anybody else feel like Forbidden Power was made for Nighthaunt? Besides the awesome Legion of Grief rules, the Endless spells are perfect for Nighthaunt, and the Terrain piece is incredible for Nighthaunt (CP gain or Re-roll saves of 1). This seems like the expansion that Nighthaunt deserves.

5 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Anybody else feel like Forbidden Power was made for Nighthaunt? Besides the awesome Legion of Grief rules, the Endless spells are perfect for Nighthaunt, and the Terrain piece is incredible for Nighthaunt (CP gain or Re-roll saves of 1). This seems like the expansion that Nighthaunt deserves.

Along qith any GH point drops I think I agree.

I have been looking at the spells in the forbidden power set, and I think I severely misjudged the bridge. The -1 bravery is quite good, it doesn't effect us like the horrorghast does and if done right it can provide either a massive slingshot for our slow skeleton infantry, or allow us to redeploy our troops where needed later in the game. Only problem ia that it is 80 points...

So the AoS app updated, which I'm very glad for, but anyone hoping for a better understanding of battalions will be sad. My version of the app doesn't list the nighthaunt battalions when looking at LoG; however, my friends does list them.

So two of the same app offer different options... ugh, really hope the FAQ doesn't get delayed

Speaking of updated app... I suddenly see a Necromancer on Nightmare in the list of leaders... but it is clearly outdated with it's abilities and spells referencing skeletons and zombies specifically instead of 'Summonable' and it does not have the Deathly Invocation ability.

Is that just a legacy unit, or is there any reason to hope it gets updated?

A speedier Necromancer would be a lot of help in keeping up with all my speedy spooks.

7 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Speaking of updated app... I suddenly see a Necromancer on Nightmare in the list of leaders... but it is clearly outdated with it's abilities and spells referencing skeletons and zombies specifically instead of 'Summonable' and it does not have the Deathly Invocation ability.

A speedier Necromancer would be a lot of help in keeping up with all my speedy spooks.

Its an older version

On 5/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, ianob said:

Why can't battalions be used? As far as I can tell, in AoS 2 as long as you can field the units for a battalion, you can take the battalion. They don't even come with allegiance keywords anymore. 

One other thing that I noticed is that the gravesite aren't as good for the LoG.  Unlike in Nagash's legions, you only get to resurrect models from one gravesite each turn - I'm hoping this is a mistake and will get faq'd...

11 hours ago, Nevar said:

Aye its the unit from the Vampire Counts PDF, however it has "Deathmages" keyword so would be usable in LoG. While no invocation he can buff skeletons still and is more mobile and a fun conversion opportunity!

37 minutes ago, SHHump said:

Why can't battalions be used? As far as I can tell, in AoS 2 as long as you can field the units for a battalion, you can take the battalion. They don't even come with allegiance keywords anymore. 

One other thing that I noticed is that the gravesite aren't as good for the LoG.  Unlike in Nagash's legions, you only get to resurrect models from one gravesite each turn - I'm hoping this is a mistake and will get faq'd...

That is incorrect. The battalions keyword also matters. If the battalions keyword is not your allegiances keyword but a viable ally keyword, then it and all units within it count as allies (even if those units would normally not be allies). If the battalion lacks your allegiances keyword and any viable ally keyword, it can't be taken at all. This is why the mortal Everchosen battalions have stopped functioning in god armies in 2.0 and why the BoC battalions had to receive errata to function properly.

As for Gravesites, yes there are 2 differences between the LoN and LoG text that I see. Firstly, the line stating that "Gravesites have the following abilities" is completely absent in LoG. And 2nd is a single word difference, LoN states ..."while within 9" of THIS gravesite...", while LoG states "...while within 9" of A gravesite...".

Edited by AverageBoss
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SHHump said:

Gravesite in log has the exact same wording as in lon? Also with lon you also ress models in your hero phase so once a turn.

40 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

That is incorrect. The battalions keyword also matters. If the battalions keyword is not your allegiances keyword but a viable ally keyword, then it and all units within it count as allies (even if those units would normally not be allies). If the battalion lacks your allegiances keyword and any viable ally keyword, it can't be taken at all. This is why the mortal Everchosen battalions have stopped functioning in god armies in 2.0 and why the BoC battalions had to receive errata to function properly.

Excuess me for my ignorence, but where do you find any keyword in the Nighthaunt battalions? It´s not like in for instance the Bonesplitter battletome that states: Bonesplitter Battalion. Nighthaunt battalions are just Warscroll Battalion and don´t have the Nighthaunt specific keyword anywhere.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

3 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

Excuess me for my ignorence, but where do you find any keyword in the Nighthaunt battalions? It´s not like in for instance the Bonesplitter battletome that states: Bonesplitter Battalion. Nighthaunt battalions are just Warscroll Battalion and don´t have the Nighthaunt specific keyword anywhere.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

FAQ states that all battalions have the keyword of their battletome and their GA. So the battalions in the NH book have the NH and Death keywords.

Edited by AverageBoss

53 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

FAQ states that all battalions have the keyword of their battletome and their GA. So the battalions in the NH book have the NH and Death keywords.

Plus they even specified it in the LoN Faq during the confusion at the start of AoS 2.0 when people were saying NH battalions didn't have NH keyword.

Q: If I include a Chainguard, Execution Horde, or Death Stalkers warscroll battalion in a Legions of Nagash army, is the battalion (and the units in it) an ally?

A: Yes.