AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

I'd have to bring it up again as it was a few weeks ago. It was a discussion I'd had with Ritchie, the owner of JustPlay, talking about a list he'd seen James Tinsdale run in store, so not a first hand account.

My feeling is that the dreadblade Harrow general is universally better due to the board control, however the above mentioned list can pack a much bigger punch.

Thoughts on this LoG list? Two huge tarpits with mediocre killing power, two crazy hammers - with the ability to reroll hits on both (due to reapers inherit ability, and the chainghast for the revenants), and the ability to hit twice with whoever a Necro can reach. Combine it with the Dreadblade Leader who can teleport to a appropriate gravesite and ressurect a unit. Dire Wolves for some extra objective grabbing in those battleplans where there's a ton of them.

Thoughts so far: Spirit Torment for supporting the Chainrasps. Possibly replace with something else.

Allegiance: Legion of Grief
LEADERS
Necromancer (130)
Necromancer (130)
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
Spirit Torment (120)
UNITS
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
2 x Chainghasts (70)
TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 174

Any suggestions for a 1250 point teams list for LoG? I was thinking something like this:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Necromancer (130)
- Spell: Dread Withering
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Vassal of the Craven King
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Knight of Shrouds (100)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 95

Basic idea is go horde and swarm objectives, keep Revenants in the grave and pop them out to go after heroes/key units. My partner will most likely be playing FEC.

2 hours ago, Piikalo1 said:

Is legion of grief an extension of the legions of nagash book? I ask because im wondering if I can somehow play deathmarch battalion in the list 

No, it's neither an extension of the LoN nor Nighthaunt battletome and you can't use any battalions whatsoever.

What do you guys think about this list?

Dreadblade harrow (general, vasal of the craven king)

Necromancer (aetherquartz brooch, -1 save spell)

Knight of shrouds

Knight of shrouds on ethereal steed

40 chainrasps

2x10 chainrasp

20 grimghast

20 bladeghasts

2x12 banshees

Extra Cp

So now that I've got a few games under my belt and have a feel for both the core rules of AoS as well as my army, I've realised I need to get better at placing my gravesites. 

I'm wondering if people have a standard set up that they go for and/or tailor based on the battleplan and opposition army at hand?

Any mental checklists that you run through as per above?

• 1 month later...

Almost finished painting this...

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Vassal of the Craven King
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Knight of Shrouds (100)
Necromancer (130)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
10 x Hexwraiths (280)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

Just need to paint the foot shroud 

On 3/10/2020 at 3:35 PM, Liquidsteel said:

So now that I've got a few games under my belt and have a feel for both the core rules of AoS as well as my army, I've realised I need to get better at placing my gravesites. 

I'm wondering if people have a standard set up that they go for and/or tailor based on the battleplan and opposition army at hand?

Any mental checklists that you run through as per above?

I believe @AidenNicol has a post regarding this from earlier in the thread: (Page 23 I think): 

I do. Point one, if your general isn't the Dreadblade Harrow, make it the general. 

Point 2. You want 3 of the objectives reasonably close together so that one unit can benefit from all three. This unit has been relegated as "extremely durable unit to soak threat targeting", for this role I reccomend 40 Chainrasps or 30 Grimghast Reapers, anything buffable with an ethereal save really. The other units in your army have been relegated to "bring back when dead". The fourth point goes behind the enemy army, 9 inches from the enemy table edge. This means that should they not commit forces to protecting this site, your general can instantly warp there and bring back a unit you threw into an aggressive fight earlier. 

Always be spending your units. Be as aggressive as you can. Your opponent isn't likely to be getting their stuff you kill back, but you will.

@AidenNicol Is this how you are currently running your gravesites? Any new thoughts you have on placement?  

Hey everyone! New player here, haven't played a single game of AOS yet, but I'm very slowly painting my spooks, between other models. I came here to ask if LoG is in a decent state rn - can they win things, are they worth investing into as a new player, what are some of the must haves (other than the Harrow) and where should I start with a 1k list?
So far I have the Soul Wars Nighthaunt part, SC: Malignants, 10 Bladegheists, 5 Hexwraiths, Cairn Wraith and 3 Spirit Hosts (from this box that included them, forgot its name). Do you also have any ideas whether we could expect any bigger changes for Death in 2020? 

Edited by Sharrankar
grammar

Buy more Chainrasp Hordes and one Necromancer.

I don't have high hopes for Nighthaunt, Legion of Nagash or Legion of Grief in 2020. There might be room for new alligiance abilities for LoG in the the next General's Handbook, but this army could be dropped entirely just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out LoG for the first time on TTS the other day having not played AOS in ages. I was playing vs my friend’s not too cutting edge Idoneth (i.e. not eel spam). I ran:

Harrow general with brooch and vassal trait for cp regen

KoS

KoSoES

GoS w/ dread withering

Torment

Necro w/ dread withering

40 rasps

20 harridans

20 bladegheists

12 myrmourns

Gravetide and extra cp

He was running a king, a caster, swordfish guy and fish guy, 9 eels with lances, turtle and the namarti batt (he outflanked the 2 melee squads with fish guy).  He was the faction who has run and charge first turn then fight first t2. We played the rulebook mission 6 with 2 objs which I think was advantage me.

All in all went very well, better than I expected. T1 he threw the eels into the myrmourns and rasps in the centre (should’ve deployed the banshees further back), killed 25 or so rasps and 10 myrmourns, so both would wipe from BS. I let the banshees wipe and autopassed the rasps (possibly the wrong choice but the rasps were blocking my heroes and the obj), then resummoned them next turn. His king failed the charge so that and his turtle were sitting mid board. Next turn i regenned about 10 rasps back with sites and the necro and threw vanhels on them, and withering on the eels - three were left after the first swing and none after the second. The bladegheists surrounded and just managed to kill off the king t1, while the harridans started on the turtle.

t2 he brought his namarti on off behind me on one side, then charged them into the resummoned banshees and rasps. Honestly they pretty much bounced with minimal damage and were finished off in quite short order as the harridans whittled down the turtle. Little was left after t3!

So yeah quite surprised given my lack of practice, but I think the scenario, his paying for high rend, and also pretty terrible dice conspired against him! I did note that the banshees and both kos didn’t live up to their potential what with having to spend my cp on autopass and resummon (and not rolling a 5 on 4 dice) but not sure how typical it is to need to spend both t1 (i know on average I should’ve had at least one more to spend, probably on the vanhels’d rasps). But i did like being able to play my ghosts as the attritiony horde they always should’ve been in my book!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, LordPrometheus said:

Glaivewraiths literally do nothing, though. How is this calculated?

That table was made by an AI... the same AI that says Arkanaut Company is the best unit in Kharadron Overlords when it's possibly the opposite.

Greetings

Edited by ACBelMutie

Hello to you all!

might start up an LoGrief/NH army soon, but got the idea of including Nagash stuck in my head.

is it possible to make a workable LoGrief list that includes Nagash? Doesnt need to be ultra competativ, but should not be a complete walkover list either.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

On 5/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, Fellman said:

Can LoG us Nighthount endles spells? a sorry if its a silly question I am new to the legion

Endless spells are not restricted by allegiance, they are only restricted you can summon them. If you want to play them you need either Nighthaunt Wizards or Nagash.

2 hours ago, Rangeltoft said:

Hello to you all!

might start up an LoGrief/NH army soon, but got the idea of including Nagash stuck in my head.

is it possible to make a workable LoGrief list that includes Nagash? Doesnt need to be ultra competativ, but should not be a complete walkover list either.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

It's not forbidden in the rules of the Legion of Grief like in with Legions of Sacrament, Legions of Night or Legion of Blood and he could be General if he wants without including Lady Olynder in the List because he doesn't have the Mortarch Keyword, but you basicly spent 44% of your points in a 2000 Point army in a single model and it doesn't make much sense lorewise.