AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

Page 54 of the 2019 GHB confirms that we can take nighthaunt battalions in LoG allegiance.

See attached picture, that is indisputable proof; can we take nighthaunt units? Yes we can, therefore we can take nighthaunt battalions.

Screenshot_20190630-205857_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

7 hours ago, Qrow said:

Page 54 of the 2019 GHB confirms that we can take nighthaunt battalions in LoG allegiance.

See attached picture, that is indisputable proof; can we take nighthaunt units? Yes we can, therefore we can take nighthaunt battalions.

Screenshot_20190630-205857_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Nighthaunt battallions are granted to a Nighthaunt Army. It has nothing to do with keywords and everything to do with the allegiance choice you make when creating the army as per page 52. Of the nighthaunt battletome. Nighthaunt battallions are only available to a Nighthaunt Army, which is to say an army that has chosen the Nighthaunt allegiance, not the Legion of Grief allegiance. 

Edited by Cr1m50n

1 hour ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

Given the lack of FAQ/errata for Forbidden Power has there been any kind of community consensus on how gravesites are played in LoG? Do we know how it was ruled at Heat 3 etc? Don't really want to invest the time & money in certain units if you can only use 1 a turn.

The FAQs are imminent so I'd just hold out for now and play RAW to be on the safe side.

Hi everyone! 

I've got both the Tempest of Souls and Souls wars boxes and looking to take the NH side into a 1500 Legions of Grief list.

I thought about the following list as I just need to get the Malignents starter box and a necromancer to bring it to 1470 (units I need labelled with a *) and get the most bang for buck in terms of value.

Here is what I thought:

Leaders:

KoSoES- General (I think) 

Spirit Torment

GoS- NL

Necromancer*

Units:

10 Chainwrasp horde (x3) (can also be bigger sized units if needed

10 Grimghast Reapers

8 Glaivewraith Stalkers

3 Spirit Hosts*

5 hexwraiths*

Behemoths:

Mortis Engine*

Total: 1470 / 1500

Regarding Artefacts, spells etc, I really have no idea. I am still really new to AoS and I have just done some simple games for fun using simple rules and no artefacts and spells that aren't in the warscrolls. Some help in what would be good would be helpful!

Like I said, I am trying to get the most bang for buck with buying new units needed to bring it up, but I am totally open to other suggestions that are more expensive. For example I know the Glaivewraith stalkers arent really great, and they are just there to fill in the points, so again im totally open to suggestions to swap them out. 

How is LoG compared to LoN in general right now? As LoG is still pretty new, I guess there isn't much information out there right now. That and couple in the GHB19 changes.

Any info or suggestions are definitely welcome!

Got a friendly coming up and thought I'd try LoG. At work pretending to graft but listbuilding... don't have access to the book though. Is there any reason LoG can't take Nagash RAW? If he can be taken, does he have to be the general? Cheers in advance. 

9 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Got a friendly coming up and thought I'd try LoG. At work pretending to graft but listbuilding... don't have access to the book though. Is there any reason LoG can't take Nagash RAW? If he can be taken, does he have to be the general? Cheers in advance. 

As far as I can remember - you can, and he doesn't have to be the general

11 minutes ago, XReN said:

As far as I can remember - you can, and he doesn't have to be the general

Cheers - that's what I was thinking but I really wasn't certain. This will be faqed into oblivion I reckon. Might take him but make him the general as a compromise. 

6 hours ago, lare2 said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/age_of_sigmar_forbidden_power_designers_commentary_en.pdf

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/age_of_sigmar_forbidden_power_errata_en.pdf

And with that, Nagash is legal in a Legion of Grief army.  😂

3 minutes ago, Equinox said:

Ha! So he can! And he still doesn't have to be the general. 

Thinking about the wording, LoG is not considered to be a Legion of Nagash. All battalions in LoN can't be taken - that sound about right? 

Edited by lare2

2 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Ha! So he can! And he still doesn't have to be the general. 

Thinking about the wording, LoG is not considered to be a Legion of Nagash. All battalions in LoN can't be taken - that sound about right? 

Yeah, the FAQ does not answer the battalion question.  I would still weigh on the side that they cannot be used.  Same with the Nighthaunt battalions.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Equinox said:

Yeah, the FAQ does not answer the battalion question.  I would still weigh on the side that they cannot be used.  Same with the Nighthaunt battalions.  

Aye, gotta agree with you. Looks like LoG are outdropping no one!

16 hours ago, lare2 said:

Gravesites have been fixed but absolutely no mention of battalions...

What were the rules before? And what are they now? 

I'm really confused by LoG now. So they're not part of LoN, but not Nighthaunt anymore? Still, they get the gravesites etc but have no batallions? 

18 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

I'm really confused by LoG now. So they're not part of LoN, but not Nighthaunt anymore? Still, they get the gravesites etc but have no batallions? 

In summary, the gravesites have been Errata'd so that each is able to trigger D3 wounds back to a SUMMONABLE unit every turn - so that's potentially 4D3 each turn.  Previously the wording was such that you could only pick 1 gravesite each turn.

Because it wasn't answered in the FAQ it appears that you cannot include any battalions within a Legion of Grief army (as they do not have the Legion of Grief keyword and the army doesn't have a special rule to cater for this).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

In summary, the gravesites have been Errata'd so that each is able to trigger D3 wounds back to a SUMMONABLE unit every turn - so that's potentially 4D3 each turn.  Previously the wording was such that you could only pick 1 gravesite each turn.

Because it wasn't answered in the FAQ it appears that you cannot include any battalions within a Legion of Grief army (as they do not have the Legion of Grief keyword and the army doesn't have a special rule to cater for this).

Great, thanks for the info!

Really strange they didn't FAQ it, as it seems like the kind of thing that people would most likely wonder about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

LoG never was part of Nighthaunt. Just because it uses lots of Nighthaunts unit doesn’t make them automatically part of the Nighthaunt allegience.

1 hour ago, Platypus said:

LoG never was part of Nighthaunt. Just because it uses lots of Nighthaunts unit doesn’t make them automatically part of the Nighthaunt allegience.

I know. Didn't mean to infer that they are. Only tried to say that because they are not part of LoN, and also not NH, what are they exactly? Their own faction? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Platypus said:

The confusion comes from the way battalions are included in your army.  Within the core rules it says you can include battalions if you have the right units in your army, however within pitched battle rules you put the battalion in and then fill it up (I'm paraphrasing this).  I believe this partly stems from Open Play being the original core of the game (which is a different approach to composing your army over pitched battle profiles).

What complicates issues for us at the moment is the inconsistent way battalions are "allowed".  The Legions of Nagash battletome says that armies from there may include any of the battalions in the book.  Legion of Grief isn't part of that book, but from a Lore aspect is one of Nagash's Legions, yet can't even use Deathmarch despite being able to include all of the units.

There's an FAQ somewhere that says that battalions automatically gain the keyword from the Battletome they're in*, so there is a certain amount of logic that as Legion of Grief may include warscrolls with the NIGHTHAUNT keyword, that we also should be allowed to include NIGHTHAUNT battalions too.  It would seem the intention is we're not allowed (you can only use battalions from the battletome that also includes your army), but this was sadly missed from the recent FAQ (along with the Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass) and the impression is that we're going to have to wait another 6 months until we actually know the answer.

* bearing in mind "Legions of Nagash" isn't actually an allegiance or keyword - it's the title of a battletome that we frequently use to refer to 5 different allegiances

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Harken said:

Quick question, can LoG use the mausoleum terrain as gravesites?

Gravesites isn't a terrain piece, it's a point often marked with something. It doesn't block models or anything. Use what you want but remember that it shouldn't effect the battlefield more than the rules LoG has. So even if you use something big you should measure from the middle of it anyway. 

5 hours ago, Harken said:

Quick question, can LoG use the mausoleum terrain as gravesites?

2 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

Gravesites isn't a terrain piece, it's a point often marked with something. It doesn't block models or anything. Use what you want but remember that it shouldn't effect the battlefield more than the rules LoG has. So even if you use something big you should measure from the middle of it anyway. 

Nor do we want them ever to be errated as terrain with the mew Match Play rules.  Never have I ever been so happy about our 1mm table dot gravesites with whacky removal and replacement rules when a 3D gravesites are used.