AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

22 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Sorry I know this was previously discussed but I'm looking into playing nighthaunt and legion of grief. Is it 100% you cant use the Nighthaunt battalions in Legion of Grief? Are there any arguements for being allowed to use them?

Unfortunately, there is no definitive 100% correct answer to this question yet, we are all waiting on GW to release an errata that verifies exactly what we have access too. The forum is split, some are sure we will get access while other are certain that we will not.

I personally hope that we get access to at least the shrieker host, even if only the shreiker host, because it would be great in LoG while it is only mediocre in nighthaunt. Hell, I was talking with a mate who plays LoN on the weekend who idly speculated on a amended shrieker host that needs lady olynder instead of a tomb banshee; it won't happen but it would be a great addition to LoG.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Sorry I know this was previously discussed but I'm looking into playing nighthaunt and legion of grief. Is it 100% you cant use the Nighthaunt battalions in Legion of Grief? Are there any arguements for being allowed to use them?

At the moment no, because the rules only state that "unit" get the Keyword, while Legions of Nagash stated that "units and warscroll Battalion" get the Keyword.

5 minutes ago, lare2 said:

See LoG placed high (8th) in recent GW GT. Would be interesting to see what was run.

GHoN won the whole thing and good to see some regular deadites on here place well as well. 

The future's shyishian purple. 

nice!, where we can find those lists? 

When was GW GT ? I assume it was before the new Generals Handbook came out.

The List would look like this with the new Generals Handbook if one CP was added, but there would be still 150 Points to fill because you can only buy 1 CP with the new rules. And interestingly I don't find an Artefact in the List.

Allegiance: Legion of Grief

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Vassal of the Craven King
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (200)
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Spell: Dread Withering
Knight of Shrouds (100)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
Necromancer (130)
- Spell: Shroud of Terror

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)

Units
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Lauchon the Soulseeker (60)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Have you guys considered including Nagash? Can't find anything forcing us to have him as general so a dreadblade could be the general for easy summoning. Nagash's spell checks against bravery and could quite reliably do d6 dmg, and heal for the same amount, in a bravery bomb list. He could also easily cast the bravery reduction spell, then cast horrorghast, and then if the dreadblade(with command trait) is already in place a unit would have a bravery reduction of 6 to 8.  2d6 and roll double of whats left seems doable. 

Include a purple sun for even more madness (and bravery reduction) 

Have a unit of morghasts to charge in and reduce the bravery even more. 

Even if we cant use the shrieking host we could still scream them to death with tomb banshees

49 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

Have you guys considered including Nagash? Can't find anything forcing us to have him as general so a dreadblade could be the general for easy summoning. Nagash's spell checks against bravery and could quite reliably do d6 dmg, and heal for the same amount, in a bravery bomb list. He could also easily cast the bravery reduction spell, then cast horrorghast, and then if the dreadblade(with command trait) is already in place a unit would have a bravery reduction of 6 to 8.  2d6 and roll double of whats left seems doable. 

Include a purple sun for even more madness (and bravery reduction) 

Have a unit of morghasts to charge in and reduce the bravery even more. 

Even if we cant use the shrieking host we could still scream them to death with tomb banshees

I think the mainproblem is that units with an value of 700 points have to be removed that Nagash would fit in (or 650 if the extra command point is removed). If you basicly swap halve the list for a single model there is not much left of the list before.

39 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Everyone reckons that Nagash will be FAQ'd out of the LoG fairly soon, as to fit with the other LoX rules.

If that will be the case they should allow LoG to take the LoN spell lores and double spell rule and give LoG three more own spells and artefacts

25 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

If that will be the case they should allow LoG to take the LoN spell lores and double spell rule and give LoG three more own spells and artefacts

Why?

They're a sub army for fluff purposes, not an entirely new force. The fluff for it would be really against Nagash' inclusion anyway.

17 hours ago, Charlo said:

The fluff for it would be really against Nagash' inclusion anyway.

Especially after Legion of Sacrament, Legion of Night and Legion of Blood excluded Nagash as well in their own allegiances. There is a point that there is a Allegiance called "Grand Host of Nagash", if someone wants to play Nagash.

Edited by EMMachine

56 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

Yeah ok sorry for asking, I'm a nighthaunt player so i don't now how the other legions work. I just read the rules for LoG and tried to see different combos outside the obvious ones 

Except for the point that the other Legions have Battalions (because the rules say so), Legion of Grief isn't so different to Night, Sacrament and Blood.

I mean, it was mentioned multiple times that having to use Lady Olynder as General if she is in the list wasn't liked (because she can't stack the Bravery debuff that high as a generic hero) but you are forced to use the other Mortarchs to be General in their Legion as well. Because it makes sense that the highest Leader of the Legion (or Nagash in the Grandhost) is the General. (It's basicly a narrative implemenation into the rules).

On 6/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, Charlo said:

Everyone reckons that Nagash will be FAQ'd out of the LoG fairly soon, as to fit with the other LoX rules.

The story in Forbidden Power takes place deep in Shyish.  Whatever the Midnight Tomb is it sounds stupid important.  Put together that peanut butter and chocolate and even the Great Necromancer may consider pulling a guest star appearance.

• Millenia spent getting his Nine Tombs back.  
  • Millenia spent reading them again.  
  • He’s probably ready for some new material.

So maybe this has been covered already... but can LoG not take the Aetherquartz Brooch and Vassal of the Craven King for two rolls of a 5+ to refund out CPs?

Add in Kurdoss and that is three different 5+ rolls to acquire more CPs per turn.  Is there a rule of one somewhere to keep this from happening?

2 hours ago, Nevar said:

So maybe this has been covered already... but can LoG not take the Aetherquartz Brooch and Vassal of the Craven King for two rolls of a 5+ to refund out CPs?

Add in Kurdoss and that is three different 5+ rolls to acquire more CPs per turn.  Is there a rule of one somewhere to keep this from happening?

No, and this is part of the strategy used the by person who placed LoG high in the GT, my friend faced him and said his CP generation was pretty insane, combined with realm command abilities it did quite a number. The other part relied on the Ferryman endless spell to move the ghosts about, dispelling it with the banshees for the +1 attack if the enemy didn't.

13 hours ago, Nevar said:

Snip

Is there a rule of one somewhere to keep this from happening?

The Devs wisely rolled the three rules-of-one into the core rules.  The craziness with games outside match play was too much.  It’s also just nice not having to rules switch anymore.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the FAQ it for “reasons”

Hi, could you guys rate my army sheet? 
Leaders:
Knight of Shrouds General Role:  Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch Command Trait: Tragic Emanations
Abhorrant Archregent Ally  Spell: Shroud of Terror
Kurdoss Valentian Role: Leader: 1

Tomb Banshee Role: Leader: 2

Battleline:
Chainrasp Horde Role: Battleline: 40
Skeleton Warriors Role: Battleline: 40
Skeleton Warriors Role: Battleline: 10

Behemoth:
Mourngul Role: Behemoth: 1

Other units:
Dreadscythe Harridans: 20

Endless spells:
Horrorghast 
1 extra command point
1990/2000

Strong points: big bravery penalties, possible -2 to hit, a lot of command points, a little bit of bravery bombing, interesting options from KoS and AR

Weak points: too much reliance on AR and his ability to cast spells, no + for casting spells, 40 chainrasps or 40 skeletons?, just two Banshees, few options to utilize that many command points, is AR worth it?!

I'm looking for a strong list using Harridans and (possibly) Mourngul. Let me know in the comments what I could change.

4 hours ago, Franek said:

Hi, could you guys rate my army sheet? 
Leaders:
Knight of Shrouds General Role:  Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch Command Trait: Tragic Emanations
Abhorrant Archregent Ally  Spell: Shroud of Terror
Kurdoss Valentian Role: Leader: 1

Tomb Banshee Role: Leader: 2

Battleline:
Chainrasp Horde Role: Battleline: 40
Skeleton Warriors Role: Battleline: 40
Skeleton Warriors Role: Battleline: 10

Behemoth:
Mourngul Role: Behemoth: 1

Other units:
Dreadscythe Harridans: 20

Endless spells:
Horrorghast 
1 extra command point
1990/2000

Strong points: big bravery penalties, possible -2 to hit, a lot of command points, a little bit of bravery bombing, interesting options from KoS and AR

Weak points: too much reliance on AR and his ability to cast spells, no + for casting spells, 40 chainrasps or 40 skeletons?, just two Banshees, few options to utilize that many command points, is AR worth it?!

I'm looking for a strong list using Harridans and (possibly) Mourngul. Let me know in the comments what I could change.

I don't know who we can use as allies but, either way, they can't have spell lore spells so the Abhorrant Archregent can't have Shroud of Terror. 

I would also use Dreadblade Harrow as your general because he can teleport to gravesites for summoning or next to an enemy units for bravery debuff. 

As a nighthaunt player i have had some nice games with a mourngul where he did some powerful impact but sadly most games he just gets focused hard by shooting or getting stuck in a battle with a other big monster(so no healing )  and just dies. So I'm swapping him out from my list for something better. 

I really like Reikenor the Grimhailer as a wizard due to him being able to get +3 to cast and making him good at casting one of the more important spells (slaanesh has for example really strong anti-magic, with rerolls and such) so he would more reliably cast Shroud of Terror (high casting value of 8.) and get away that horrorghast across the field. 

LoG is good at getting your unit back so you, in a way, want your units to go in, do alot of damage, die, and then get back at full strength. By that i think skeleton warriors are better because a  big chainrasp horde takes too long to die and dont have that much damage with its 1" range. skeletons has the same attacks(in big numbers) and has the same to hit/wound  (with a hero nearby) but has 2" range instead with spears. 

Hope this helped (I can't sleep and it's 4:30am... Better write some posts instead) :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1