AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

Just now, Sigwarus said:

True, its a lot harder against deatharmies but possible. On the other side of the cake its ridiculus against skaven. But thats not half of your games. Most demon armies got mortals mixed in and tzeencth have beastbirds. With up to 8 screams at minus 2-8 in bravery even bravery 10 needs to worry

yeah , my experience is vs nurgle (maybe worst match up for nighthaunt/Lon) and Seraphon =( 

Really want that errata to come out so that I can feel assured that I am actually playing the rules correctly, especially in an upcoming friendly tournament.

Still enjoying the LoG, tried out olynder in a few games and found there is actually some decent power there for her. Had her in a list with reikenor, a mortis engine and 2 banshees against a slaanesh player. The amount of mortal wounds I put out from screams, the mortis engine and olynder was great; practically shredded the HoS players infantry on turn one and reduced them to only their big heroes.

Still don't think she is worth losing the dreadblade as a general, the dreadblade is just to versatile with its teleport, but it was fun to play with.

18 hours ago, Qrow said:

Really want that errata to come out so that I can feel assured that I am actually playing the rules correctly, especially in an upcoming friendly tournament.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we may see something today as Wednesday seems to be a popular day for FAQs.

5 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we may see something today as Wednesday seems to be a popular day for FAQs.

I was doing the same last week, the past few had been out on the wednesday 2 and a half weeks after their release. Suppose forbidden power probably has a lot more questions though.

I hope it is out today though, it would make sense to be out before their next large release. As they have promised an errata in july with additional point changes for newer battletomes, I doubt they want to have more than just that on their plate after this weekend

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qrow said:

I was doing the same last week, the past few had been out on the wednesday 2 and a half weeks after their release. Suppose forbidden power probably has a lot more questions though.

I hope it is out today though, it would make sense to be out before their next large release. As they have promised an errata in july with additional point changes for newer battletomes, I doubt they want to have more than just that on their plate after this weekend

I was expecting this last week- but I feel now we may not see it until the July digital download FAQ around the newer factions points!  But lets hope its sooner, although Im loving moving after taking a unit in Lauchon (which surely gets nerfed)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dead_Duardin said:

So nighthaunt faction hasn't been squatted by Log? 

About to start an army of spooky ghosts for 2.5 so kind of important ha

Nope, not at all, it just offers a different way to play them. The easiest way to differentiate them is:

Nighthaunt offer mobility shenanigans and potentially massive hitting power

LoG offers bravery shenanigans and unit recursion.

Thankfully, neither one will override the other, it just means we have two ways to play the same army.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Dead_Duardin said:

So nighthaunt faction hasn't been squatted by Log? 

About to start an army of spooky ghosts for 2.5 so kind of important ha

You should listen to this GHB 2019 Nighthaunt faction réaction on the honest wargamer podcast http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/638503971-the-honest-wargamer-ghb-2019-faction-reaction-ash-nighthaunt.mp3

I always that the NightHaunt book was ****** and invalidantes by LoG, but the guest has à insightful take on how should they be played

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipping it qould be idiocy by GW turning off the NH:B by the releasing of LoG. NH:B is too recent.

LoG has no Access to warscroll battalions. And the ways to play LoG and NH;B are totally different. Based on rules, spells, options and so on it's a quite big different usage.

what it would have been interesting it would be make LoG part of LoN:B. To have at least access to deathmarch, or more spells

Games workshop releases these alternative forces now and then.  The Litchmaster got one in a White Dwarf that was pretty interesting.  To my knowledge they’ve never gone mainstream.  My guess would be at most LoG might influence content in a future Death Battletomb.

GW is making what money they want from Forbidden Power.  They’ll stop at that since this is just part of a business cycle before they explore the next story in their intellectual property.

So here we go with what I'm planning for my Legion of Grief army!  Trying to go with a strong narrative, but without being a complete push over in a game.

Allegiance: Legion of Grief
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
Necromancer (130)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass (140)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
20 x Dreadscythe Harridans (280)
20 x Dreadscythe Harridans (280)
Mortis Engine (180)
Soulscream Bridge (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the endless spell.  I'm liking the bridge over the horrorgeist as it doesn't affect my own army, but happy to take suggestions!  Equally I don't mind tweaking the heroes a little bit, it pains me not to take a Spirit of Torment - only way would be to drop the Necromancer (which reduces my already low-ish magical ability)

With the army builder updated on the Warhammer Community website, just though I'd try something out. It tells me that Legion of Grief has access to all LoN and Nighthaunt battalions...

Edited by lare2

10 minutes ago, lare2 said:

With the army builder updated on the Warhammer Community website, just though I'd try something out. It tells me that Legion of Grief has access to all LoN and Nighthaunt battalions...

It's also not 100% accurate. It is by all accounts a fan made project.

For example it keeps thinking Darkoath models can take marks of chaos, which they can't (such as the shadespire warband).

No offense to the warscroll builder person, I know he frequents the forum sometimes! But AoS is a bit more convoluted on what goes where, not like say Warmahordes and their builders which flat out states "hey this unit goes in this theme force").

26 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Selecting Legion of Grief in the "Add Units" drop down, doesn't give me access to battalions?  Could be a bit of a glitch in your browser.

16 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

It's also not 100% accurate. It is by all accounts a fan made project.

Definitely. Think it's still 100% worthwhile to wait on an FAQ.

5 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Selecting Legion of Grief in the "Add Units" drop down, doesn't give me access to battalions? 

Have you selected LoG for allegiance and then Nighthaunt for the add unit section? In fairness it might be my browser going skewiff... on a work computer and they're not exactly cutting edge! 

9 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Have you selected LoG for allegiance and then Nighthaunt for the add unit section? In fairness it might be my browser going skewiff... on a work computer and they're not exactly cutting edge! 

That's not how it works. The point "Add units" does only show what units Nighthaunt can get, there is no check which could be used in another allegiance. (And there is a Legion of Grief Section, that has all units included, that can be used in Legions of Grief)

With the same logic you could say that Soulblight are playable when choosing Legions of Grief allegiance because you can still choose "Soulblight" in Add units, which is not the case rulewise.

Scrollbuilder checks the bare minimum if you have the right amount of leaders, battleline, artillery and behemoth. It doesn't even know what Allies are if you don't mark them manually and doesn't know if a unit is a possible ally or part of the Allegiance.

12 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

That's not how it works.

Nice one - thanks for clearing that up. 

Think I'll still be giving LoG a wide berth until we know for certain about battalions.

Edited by lare2

48 minutes ago, Rod said:

BattleScribe is way better

Last time I've seen a list made in it, I almost thrown. It's looks like a mess of useless info, maybe good for players who are starting to play, but too bulky for putting a list together on the fly.

3 minutes ago, XReN said:

Last time I've seen a list made in it, I almost thrown. It's looks like a mess of useless info, maybe good for players who are starting to play, but too bulky for putting a list together on the fly.

hahaha " good for players who are starting"  , wtf, really wtf

is not as simple as roster builder, which is a mess

Edited by Rod

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

hahaha " good for players who are starting"  , wtf, really wtf

is not as simple as roster builder, which is a mess

I haven't used it since 2016, so no idea how it looks now

Then why you said it's good?