So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

I was looking at non-GW paint ranges as well to see GW have innovated something new here or whether it's just clever marketing, it's a bit of both I think. I noticed that vallejo's Game Ink used over white primer is basically the same thing however the vallejo game ink range is only 11 colours as opposed to GW's 34. So it's not a new concept or innovation as such but they've done really well to introduce a huge range of colours to play with.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XReN said:

Also some people have the idea that just painting your models with effort is not enough and you have to improve or pay for your models being painted to show respect to opponent. What a bunch of bull..

Yeah, I would actually rather play against a very badly painted army that someone painted themselves than a beautiful army that someone paid to have painted.

At least the person with the army he/she painted themselves is actually involved in the hobby,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

Yeah, I would actually rather play against a very badly painted army that someone painted themselves than a beautiful army that someone paid to have painted.

At least the person with the army he/she painted themselves is actually involved in the hobby,

The hobby is many things to many people and not all are the same. For some they want to game, they don't enjoy building nor painting and might suffer to do it, but if the ycan afford to have someone else do the work for them so they can get on and play that's fine.

Just the same as people who have huge collections of top painted models and they don't game - they don't have too.

The ONLY time its an issue is if someone commissions an army or buys it second hand and claims the work as their own. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

That is completly dumb! I know people that don't like or don't have time to paint but are completly in love of collecting and PLAYING the game . Having the money to make the miniature painted is one solution. At least both (the bad painter and the paid painter) offer to you a game with a painted army! And that is equally precious.

• Like 2

Hey, just my opinion, based on decades of experience, but someone who actually gives a darn about their models tends to be a better/more fun/more engaging opponent. 

A pay-to-play opponent tends to be a ****** at the table.

I prefer people who embrace the whole shebang, not just the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Big nope, that is another radical opinion I disagree with.

I'm a simple man - if army is painted - good, if it's painted good - great!
Doesn't matter to me who painted it, because for each of us there is something in this hobby that we like and don't like. 

I might be biased as a professional painter but here it goes: Some people don't like to paint but like to look at their painted collection. And good for them, we don't all need to like all aspects of this quite complex hobby. And I much prefer seeing two painted armies on the table because  well, it looks pretty. It's as deep as I get here, I just prefer pretty. I don't really care who painted them, especially that locally it's not uncommon occurence that both mine and my opponents models are my work ; )

If we're complaining about people ignoring some parts of the hobby, i find those not caring about lore much less fun to play with. Hearing gamer-y slang names for all the units and factions for few hours is pretty grating ; )

If contrast paints lead to more painted armies, I'm happy though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I can confirm that the 'Eavy Metal team would happily do this too 🤣

Honestly I'd bet most gamers would - mould line removing is just a chore. One some its fine but LOATH things like hair; all thin tiny bits all tiny corners all waving bits GAH! 

*resumes glaring at Slaanesh models*

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I don't mind people with professionally painted armies. They tend to me rare and really fun to check out. That said, it bothers me when they're allowed to compete in painting competitions with them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It does not bother me if someone has their army painted by commission.  That is better than just grey plastic armies.  Honestly, there is nothing more valuable than time and people should be careful to spend it on the way that brings them the most enjoyment.  If painting is not enjoyable for you but the game is then I see no issue with paying someone else to paint your army.

I regularly play Star Wars: Legion with a friend and his Rebel force was commission painted.  He got a budget, but good, painting job and it looks nice.  He himself is a good painter and I have seen a number of 40k and Fantasy armies he painted in the past and they were great.  But he decided that he did not want to devote the time to his Legion force right now but wanted it painted - so he paid someone to do it.  I can’t fault that thinking.

Edited by Skabnoze

14 hours ago, Overread said:

If I could afford it I'd pay someone to clean teh darn mould lines off all my models!! And I'd not feel nor be any less the gamer for it ;)

This has won my award for Post That Makes Love To My Soul.

Actually, I'll put the offer out there: If anyone wants to talk business, pm me.

By hate of mould lines are gamers united!! :)

In other news lets also not forget painting takes time, its very easy to collect more armies than you can feasibly paint, esp if one has a higher standard of painting. Paying someone to paint up an army for you so that you have time to work on other projects is very valid. ESp when people get to periods in life where free time might be really short. If you've only got a proper 4 or 5 hours once a week to game and then only short periods inbetween it might be really hard to build and paint an army in any reasonable length of time. 

7 hours ago, Sleboda said:

This has won my award for Post That Makes Love To My Soul.

Actually, I'll put the offer out there: If anyone wants to talk business, pm me.

Don't know if I could play against someone who didn't remove their own mold lines. I prefer to play people you know who are actually involved in the hobby 😂

Edited by ageofpaddsmar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Don't know if I could play against someone who didn't remove their own mold lines. I prefer to play people you know who are actually involved in the hobby 😂

Yeah in my experience someone who actually gives a darn about their models tends to be a better/more fun/more engaging opponent. 

But that's just my personal experience with people who pay to have mold lines removed. 

Edited by SwampHeart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

Yeah in my experience someone who actually gives a darn about their models tends to be a better/more fun/more engaging opponent. 

But that's just my personal experience with people who pay to have mold lines removed. 

Are there actually people who pay to have mold lines removed??

There are people who pay others to build their armies for them - often having them paint them too. Some also pay others to convert their models. I've not yet really heard of anyone paying another person to just build their models, but I'm sure it has happened.

Also lets break things into two parts here. There are clearly people with bad attitudes when it comes to playing the game and being social. Some of them pay for commissions, some don't; some are "weeb powergame metabeating seal clubbers" and some are just people who lack social skills. 

Then there's people who can afford to and do pay others to build and/or paint their models for them. These can be people who chase the meta; who swap armies often; who are just rich enough and want a higher quality than they can achieve or are willing/able to put the hours into learning. Heck they can be regular gamers who are just really short on time and want to use what time they have playing. Some might also have motive problems that prevents them putting together and painting models to a standard they are happy with etc...

The two groups can cross over and be totally separate from each other. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, Sleboda said:

I disagree. I once painted 200 Clanrat models (the ones with no tunic, representing Skaven slaves). The ones painted toward the end were both noticably better than the earlier ones and were completed much more quickly.

I did indeed become a better painter by painting the same models multiple times.

That's not meant as a comment about the new paints, just about improvement with repetition.

It happens the oppossite to me. The last batches are my worst painted minis because i am already bored to death.

Well, we should first of all agree, that we can & should not judge someone's opinion, because opinions are just his opinions.

What my concern is & was with those paints is, that it might be a cash grabby method, to sell basically inks. I do not intend to offend anyone, who sees an oportunity in it, because it is absolutely nice, when people can benefit from it.

But why am I not that convinced about those colour range? Because GW tends to lean into behavior to squeeze everyone's wallet.
I have in mind, that there was that new technical paints, that came with the Soul Wars box, that where Nighthaunt Gloom and Hexwratih Flame.
Tutorials have shown, that those paints are soooo good, but guess what happened? They dry splodgy as fu**. The purpose those paint where made for just failed, at least for the most people I know. They basically use them as shades & glazes. That's ok, but the 6€ per pod mark is a huge bumer for them.

That's where I see those new contrast paits coming in for 6€ per pod, too. Tutorial have shown, what they are like, and they are actually good inks, just as those from other manufacturers.
What I don't want to see is people feeling fooled by either its result or pricing. Why is that?
Because I know, that the storemanager will promote those as the miracle colours to be that goooood and fast to paint models, wich can again backfire, when it comes to new customers.

New players where arguing ( meaning here locally ), that those technical Gloom and Flame colours are not good. So they feel a little betraied,a ctually.

And hopefully that will not happen!

Painters, whoa re used to those techiques, will for sure benefit from it! And that's good.
So that's why I think it would have been better to show painters how to use the L.Medium in combination with any colour they like, to make inks from it. And then the same technique could be applied to those.

But that's just my opinion.
If the new pods come in for 3,30€, then it's another story. Because then I would concider them really good, because noone will have to mix anything.

And I would like to point, that there was mentioned, that people not liking it are haters. But don't judge anyone being a hater, just because he / she doesn't like it. Most of the opinions are based on experience, that are worth listening to.
And sceptic mindsets make discussions worth, because it asks for seeing things from another perspective.

3 hours ago, Battlefury said:

... Hexwratih Flame.
Tutorials have shown, that those paints are soooo good, but guess what happened? They dry splodgy as fu**. 

???

I use that paint a ton, for various things. It's become an important tool in my toolbox. I've been painting for about 35 years, and have won a Slayer Sword and dozens of other painting trophies ... yet that paint improved me. I expect these new paints will do the same for me.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I use that paint a ton, for various things. It's become an important tool in my toolbox. I've been painting for about 35 years, and have won a Slayer Sword and dozens of other painting trophies ... yet that paint improved me. I expect these new paints will do the same for me.

That's good, when it works for you. Here it is massively hated.

@Battlefury Maybe you just had failed batch (that happens sometimes with new Citadel paints). Many painters  on twitter and instagram use Hexwraith Flame and Nighthaunt Gloom and results are always at least good (depends on skills ofc). Look for example at sonicsledgehammer tutorials - no marketing here.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by michu

2 hours ago, michu said:

@Battlefury Maybe you just had failed batch (that happens sometimes with new Citadel paints). Many painters  on twitter and instagram use Hexwraith Flame and Nighthaunt Gloom and results are always at least good (depends on skills ofc). Look for example at sonicsledgehammer tutorials - no marketing here.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the advice, but this time it wasn't me, who doesn't like the paints. I have no purpose in using them in any way, as it doesn't fit the army.

It is my local community, who doesn't want to use them anymore :)