So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

8 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

That is not what the people who posted the pics said. Particularly Ben. Their actual tweets are linked to with exactly what they said when they posted the pics. If you have more information then I do please share.   I've seen lots of pics this weekend where people just said "I experimented with the new Contrast range and this is what I thought, here's my pics" 

Well, I am right. It was painted with one highlight on each colour. 

15 hours ago, Battlefury said:

Why was it edited?

You'd used a naughty word that hadn't been picked up by the profanity filter 😉

15 hours ago, the_master288 said:

I agree with both of you guys.  I'm super skeptical of the benefit of this new paint line and I think it's purely marketing.  I would love to see some side by sides and see if there is any benefit between the standard paint method with individual pots and this new combined method of the contrast paint.  It's also confusing as to why they would want to highlight when they should be promoting the benefit of the contrast paints.

From the pieces I've seen I wouldn't say that the end effect isn't drastically different between the traditional method and contrast method.  However the contrast method is significantly quicker.  You're still going to need traditional methods to pick out details - if you want to.

5 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

If I can paint 120 clan rats in 10 hours instead of 60 hours.... that's a lot of extra time to put into centerpiece models, painting classes, different techniques, experimentation and practice.  

100% this!  At the end of the day, they're simply another item in our arsenal of tools, nobody is going to force you to use them.

• Like 4

This is a tool for the tabletop gamer first and the hobby painter second. I have friends playing horde armies, like beasts and skaven who can't wait to just splatter clanrats and ungors in contrast paint, to get a decent tabletop result and save a LOT of time. Spare time is precious when you have a lot of responsibilities, kids etc. So getting your hordes up and looking decent and focus attention on centerpiece models is great.

I would use this to just get the 40 man blob of skeletons done, but not to paint Nagash for example.

• Like 4

I would say this paint line has been pretty well received so far. 

But (as has always been the case with anything to do with painting), there are complainers or people scoffing at the idea.... And for no real valid reason imo. Airbrush paints are just pre-thinned, but they exist and get sold plenty for a reason (and I'm very happy they do).  Washes can be made yourself too, should you so desire, but are still sold in a readily available package and this list can go on for a while.  It's all about ease of use for the end user, and one other major point.  

This "new" formula being available to the masses is really good for one simple reason: consistency.  And just for that reason alone, it's a win in my book. 

I've recently given a painting seminar to people in our LFGS who mainly play board games, but who wanted to give miniature painting a go. Even the most basic techniques like washes and drybrushes were already an eye-opener to them and now, they actually play some boardgames with painted models. Anything that lowers the entry barrier to painting, is a huge in in my book, regardless of perceived costs or ease by some hobby elitists.  I really wish this product was available during that seminar... 

When I started in the hobby 20+ years ago, there was always TFG in the shop who didn't "just want to drybrush" his models, then he "didn't just want to dip or wash them".... Now, he probably doesn't want to "cheat" by "just airbrushing them" and soon, he'll "doesn't want to just contrast them".  Ironically, the people I knew who were like that, often had a mountain of grey/metal/primer with a handful of models in them that could be considered mediocre at best as well. ;)

And I'm fully aware of being condescending to some people... But I don't give a flying f*** about being condescending towards people who are condescending themselves towards people trying to put in effort, but without wanting to master the art of paint/medium mixing. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I've been playing the game for 15 years now, from a young age of 11 to 26. I have never enjoyed painting, the hobby for me is playing, going to events, meeting people and making memories. I paint and I try to paint to a good standard as I know it enriches the game for me and my opponent. 

I will normally prime, basecoat, shade, drybursh and on special models like Drycha, Alarielle I'll go further. These contrast won't make me any more lazy, or make me make "less" effort, it'll just speed up the process I already do. 

One thing these contrast paints has highlighted to me is there is a LOT of condascending, gatekeeping elitist painters out there that have shown their true colours. Gatekeeping is gatekeeping and this hobby is for all of us, trying to shame people and say "God these paints are so lazy, I'd hate to play against a army painted with them, some people are ruining my hobby etc" is just ******. 

Everyones hobby is their own hobby, for some people painting is a craft and it's 90% of what the hobby revolves around. For people like me who paint their own armies despite not liking the process to enrich the game the hobby is not that, it's meeting people, making memories, attending events and all that entails. Let people enjoy their hobby and don't push your views onto people.

Contrast paints will ultimately lead to more painted armies, will they be winning Golden Deamons or pressuring the pro painted rankings? No. Will it allow people who don't enjoy the process to paint their armies faster so they can enjoy what they best about the hobby? 100%, that in my eyes is a massive positive. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Disclaimer : Uninteresting post.

I tend to spend a lot of time painting models, and I am happy with any new  product that can make the paint faster / easier. So I am looking forward to this new line.

Will I buy everthing? No. There is still colours/materials that I will want to paint the old fashion way, but I will sure buy some for specific projects (my Hellboy KS  ennemies come to mind) and specific colours (my guess is that I will love both whites, the black, and a leather one).

But frankly, I am very surprised to see that there is a debate on this new line and that there is haters. You don't like this new way of painting ? Fine. Keep painting like you always did.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

I'm a very slow painter. I think I paint pretty well, but horde armies give me nightmares. There's not enough hours in the day, days in the week and weeks in the year for me to get through that much painting. 
I'm actually going to do an experiment when these paints come out.
I'm going to sit down, record and time how long it takes me to get 120 clan rats to a good tabletop standard using these new paints. 
It will test the time saving, and it will test how good the new paints look. 

I'm super impatient to read you back with the result. I have the same to do plus a skeleton army!! (and a lot of other things.

That's finally really good that the looncurse mess makes me cancel my order to start a sylvaneth army: I'm able to focus on what I have now ;-)

32 minutes ago, AxolotlQuestions said:

They've confirmed the new paint goes over normal primer just fine. The new primer is just a) better than Corax White (not hard) and b) the right colour to get good results. 

Awesome - thanks for the quick response. Just thinking, as I can envisage using a combination of contrast and standard paints for different parts of a model. 

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Apologies if being dumb but, the new paints require a specific primer aye? Do we know if the normal citadel paints can go direct onto this primer as well? Cheers in advance. 

It needs a bright primer. A very cool review that have been already posted:

https://the-art-of-caesura.blogspot.com/2019/05/citadel-colour-contrast-paints-first.html

I  guess, as you can already do it with washes, you will be able to have very différent results if you tint your whitish undercoat with primary and secondary colours glazes. An easy example would be à green contrast paint over pale yellow, pale blue or pale green.

I can't wait for deep down reviews and my own experimentations over zenithal and pré shading

Edited by pseudonyme
  • Like 3

On 5/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, The World Tree said:

That's a really good idea, trying it out on underworlds.

I find that the Underworlds warbands are fantastic for all sorts of experimentation. Add testing these paints to the list of things for which they are great.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

I'm not going to become a better painter by just painting the same clan rat 120 times

I disagree. I once painted 200 Clanrat models (the ones with no tunic, representing Skaven slaves). The ones painted toward the end were both noticably better than the earlier ones and were completed much more quickly.

I did indeed become a better painter by painting the same models multiple times.

That's not meant as a comment about the new paints, just about improvement with repetition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

, trying to shame people and say "God these paints are so lazy, I'd hate to play against a army painted with them, some people are ruining my hobby etc" is just ******. 

Honest question: Has anyone here actually said anything close to that?

If so, I missed it. And if so, ****** that guy/gal.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I disagree. I once painted 200 Clanrat models (the ones with no tunic, representing Skaven slaves). The ones painted toward the end were both noticably better than the earlier ones and were completed much more quickly.

I did indeed become a better painter by painting the same models multiple times.

That's not meant as a comment about the new paints, just about improvement with repetition.

Of course the more you paint the better you'll get. 

But you also have to push yourself and try different things. 

You don't become a better musician by just playing 1 song. 

And that's assuming you maintain your standards after painting 120 clan rats. Is also possible you start rushing as you get sick of the same miniatures. Dunno about you but I find that can be a huge barrier for how much time, effort and motivation I have for a particular project. 

17 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

One thing these contrast paints has highlighted to me is there is a LOT of condascending, gatekeeping elitist painters out there that have shown their true colours.

This applies to so many "tribes" within this hobby, though:

• Open/Narrative players (i.e. AoS originals) towards Matched players
  • Matched players towards Open/Narrative players
  • WHFB fans towards AoS, and it's fans
  • AoS fans towards WHFB, and its fans (see: Tomb Kings)
  • Hobbyists towards Gamers
  • Gamers towards Hobbyists

etc.

3 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

This applies to so many "tribes" within this hobby, though:

• Open/Narrative players (i.e. AoS originals) towards Matched players
  • Matched players towards Open/Narrative players
  • WHFB fans towards AoS, and it's fans
  • AoS fans towards WHFB, and its fans (see: Tomb Kings)
  • Hobbyists towards Gamers
  • Gamers towards Hobbyists

etc.

You forgot the most important tribe of them all

AoS players against SCE players. Heyooooo!🤪

You know if theres one thing I need to see is how this paint works with non-citadel paints/primers. Curious if anything odd happens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sleboda said:

The most I’ve seen here is myself and others presenting heavy skepticism regarding the overall effect of these paints.  Maybe they were talking about comments from a different site?

6 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Of course the more you paint the better you'll get. 

But you also have to push yourself and try different things. 

You don't become a better musician by just playing 1 song. 

And that's assuming you maintain your standards after painting 120 clan rats. Is also possible you start rushing as you get sick of the same miniatures. Dunno about you but I find that can be a huge barrier for how much time, effort and motivation I have for a particular project. 

I'm a little unusual maybe. I prefer my units to be composed of identical models.  It just looks more like an army to me that way. Plus, I find something soothing about the repetition.

23 hours ago, Elmir said:

When I started in the hobby 20+ years ago, there was always TFG in the shop who didn't "just want to drybrush" his models, then he "didn't just want to dip or wash them".... Now, he probably doesn't want to "cheat" by "just airbrushing them" and soon, he'll "doesn't want to just contrast them".  Ironically, the people I knew who were like that, often had a mountain of grey/metal/primer with a handful of models in them that could be considered mediocre at best as well. ;)

Surely it is his prerogative if he doesn't want to airbrush, drybrush, dip (etc.) his models? There is nothing in your post that suggests he tried to enforce these rules on others, so I don't see how that makes him a TFG.

Also, isn't declaring somebody's paint jobs as "mediocre at best" not a teeny-weeny bit elitist too?

Edited by Kyriakin

15 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Not here, but yesterday we have been discussing the new paints in our group and something close to that was said. 

Also some people have the idea that just painting your models with effort is not enough and you have to improve or pay for your models being painted to show respect to opponent. What a bunch of bull..