So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

For those bemoaning varnish then just get vallejo brush on varnish, I use their matt varnish in a large bottle and it's amazing. And it's so easy too, add a 50/50 mix of varnish and water in a pot and apply it like a wash and soak up the pooled varnish with a brush - done. Takes 30secs a model.

• Like 2

One other application could be to help define where highlights need to go - so you take a test model and apply say the black contrast paint.  Once dry you've a pretty definitive guide on where to apply chunky and fine edge highlights.  Would be great for people who are wanting to take their painting to the next level!

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

This is the biggest thing making me hesitate. I've not varnished a model in the last 25 years it so. I just don't like the look, the risk, or the time taken to do it.

If these paints are going to require a varnish to prevent them coming off from normal handling, then that's a large knock against them.

The varnishes are there to protect - a few of us popped our test models into bags and not noticed any rub off (I carefully popped mine in the top to find it had bounced right to the bottom after a few hours in a car).  However GW used it as an opportunity to improve the current varnish and add a new one and also acknowledged one area the new paints aren't as strong in.

17 hours ago, Battlefury said:

So, to be very honest, I think those contrast paint are pure ?>?>?.

They are glazes. That's it. Painting those thinned paints onto that "new" primer ( you could also take pure white primers for the same reason, really ) it will let the colour run into the recessed areas, leaving the high edges thinner, so the primner can shine through.

For those, who are like "WOOOOOOOOOOW those paints change everything", please think again. It is basically glazes. And you can do them yourself, with every single colour.

Receipe:

1. Take colour you want
2. mix in Glaze Median / L. Medium ( whatever glaze medium you use
3. Paint the model
4. Done

You really don't have to paint another 6€ ( guess they gonna cost that ) on paints, that are already existing.

Firstly, you're completely entitled to your opinion, however as with any hobby released don't knock it until you've tried it!  I was massively cynical about the GW dry paints until I tried them and had to eat a huge slice of humble pie and now use them fairly regularly.

The new paint isn't a glaze (or more accurately a wash/shade/ink as a glaze shouldn't pool), it has different flow properties to using a regular medium and the coverage is significantly better.  As I made clear in my post you can apply them on any undercoat - the two new colours add to the range (not replace) because GW knows that the Corax White can be "peeky" at times (that came from the chap who developed Corax White).  It also adds in the long sought after warm white and cool white undercoat colours.

The question of "are these revolutionary" - no (in my opinion).  "Are these game changing" - for some yes, for others no.  If you're already happy with how you paint and already have paints then there is absolutely no reason to pick any of these up.  However for people looking to create a battle ready army - or even more so new hobbyists, these paints are going to be a fantastic way of painting.

Ultimately as existing hobbyists, it's down to us to choose how we integrate this new range into our existing methods.  I'm certainly not going to bin my existing collection and start painting everything using Contrast paints.  However I will likely swap out how I do some items.  I honestly am stunned by the result of Guilliman Flesh over Wrathbone.  It produces the same effect that you would achieve with 20 minutes of blending three different flesh colours.  Black Templar is another one that creates an end effect that would take a lot longer with regular paints and highlighting.  I'm likely not going to be using this for painting a Golden Demon entry, but for a 2000 point army they're certainly going to speed things up for me.

11 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Do you know if the "contrast" line of paints has some metalic colors? (gold, iron etc...)

They don't (at least initially), however you can use them over a metallic undercoat to achieve a similar effect.  The reason is the metallic pigments will mess around with the flow of the paint.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Battlefury said:

So, to be very honest, I think those contrast paint are pure bollocks.

They are glazes. That's it. Painting those thinned paints onto that "new" primer ( you could also take pure white primers for the same reason, really ) it will let the colour run into the recessed areas, leaving the high edges thinner, so the primner can shine through.

For those, who are like "WOOOOOOOOOOW those paints change everything", please think again. It is basically glazes. And you can do them yourself, with every single colour.

Receipe:

1. Take colour you want
3. Paint the model
4. Done

You really don't have to paint another 6€ ( guess they gonna cost that ) on paints, that are already existing.

Is it? I agree that if anything comes close, it is probably Glaze. But from the examples I have seen so far, the contrast paints seems to hold much more pigment. I doubt if you can achieve the same with a random thinned paint, or perhaps you can with multiple layers, but that doesn't exactly speed up painting. Time will tell of course, but the first impressions and reviews by people who were lucky to have the opportunity to try them out, are quiet positive for what I have seen

At least for me it is worth the try. I won't buy me the full range at once, but certainly try some of them. As some already pointed out, if it saves time, there is much more time for the details.

What bothers me a bit is the requirement of having it varnished. I am not really keen on doing so. And another valid argument brought up by others, is that there is a risk it will hold people from further improving their painting. That would be a shame of course, but on the other hand, I think only few are gifted with the talent and time to ever reach a more than decent painting level via the GW  propagated base-layer-highlight approach. I for one, will never master an advanced  painting method as described by Nos, and my shaky hands (tremor) are not  of much help here either. 

Another thing that makes me looking forward to it, is that I think it would be great to have my 7 year old son interested in the hobby at some point, not now, but maybe in a few years (if it is his  thing at all of course), Having more satisfying results in an easier way, a maybe  less frustrating experience,  will definitely help to get him enthusiastic (I hope)

So if not disappointing in what it promises to do, I think this paint is a win for all.  Less grey or badly painted armies on the table, lower entry level for new or young players, easier to finish a full army for those with limited time, better sales for GW (which, lets hope, will be invested in more and better stuff for us), more time for details, and for the more advanced painters a new tool to experiment with. And  those who prefer other, better, more advanced or cheaper technics, or prefer more unique, less standard colour schemes, there is still the existing range (or other brands), as it is an addition not a replacement.

I wouldn't say I'm a bad painter, I can with the time and effort have a lot of fun making really nice models. But I am a slow painter and I definitely find doing it often to be a chore, I like the idea of the contrast paints to help me get through my backlog and get those battleline units out quick and easy because boy do I have a lot of unpainted models.

I have to say I am in love with how the browns and reds come out with the contrast paints they look really nice, vibrant and deep. I'm also interested in the new whites as I find corax often comes out a bit grey for my liking at times and doesn't have the nicest texture. Will be interesting playing around with these when they come out, I honestly can't wait because it might finally help me get a finished army out on the table.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I wouldn't say I'm a bad painter, I can with the time and effort have a lot of fun making really nice models. But I am a slow painter and I definitely find doing it often to be a chore, I like the idea of the contrast paints to help me get through my backlog and get those battleline units out quick and easy because boy do I have a lot of unpainted models.

I have to say I am in love with how the browns and reds come out with the contrast paints they look really nice, vibrant and deep. I'm also interested in the new whites as I find corax often comes out a bit grey for my liking at times and doesn't have the nicest texture. Will be interesting playing around with these when they come out, I honestly can't wait because it might finally help me get a finished army out on the table.

This is me in a nutshell as well. I've gotten a lot better over the past year, but anything which can help chug out line troops so I can spend time focussing on the character and vehicles models is something I've got interest in. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Battlefury said:

So, to be very honest, I think those contrast paint are pure bollocks.

Receipe:

1. Take colour you want
3. Paint the model
4. Done

If I can prime with a brush why buy a spray can or an airbrush?
If I can mix highlights with white or cream why buy lighter layer paints?
If I can shade with thin paints why buy washes?

The answer to all of these is simple - time, effort and consistency. It's the same with Contrast.

I've done a couple of army projects now which have been 90%+ glazes over zenithal/white primer. Offer me a 6€ pot of pre-mixed glaze which would always have a perfectly consistent paint:medium ratio and save me having to mix up fresh batches and it's an auto buy. If that product means I get a consistent vibrant finish with just one coat that's even better. That's what Contrast seems to be offering.

• Like 10

Tbh, my painting skills are pretty poor.   So, these look promising.  

A while back, I experimented on Nurgle daemons with washes over Corax, but wasnt very happy with the results and it seemed to take ages layering the washes.

Later, with the release of Soul Wars I was more impressed  with results from Hexwraith Flame and Nighthaunt Gloom with a little dry brushing for highlights.  These paints felt much more beginner friendly.

If Contrast turns out to be the next iteration of these paints, i’d snap them up.   I dont expect them to be perfect, and but something more user-friendly would be nice.   Also, i guess the style of painting the promote will be better suited to some models than others.  Nevertheless, it’ll be fun to experiment.  I might pickup SC FEC to take some of the new range for a spin!

I have 2 big  (hordes) armies that are waiting their coat of paint. They are actually pure grey plastic. lol. Skaven and death (skelies). I already have many paints  pots. My main concern is TIME. What is your advice?

- Wait for those contrast paints? or - Use your pots, you'll see later !

8 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I have 2 big  (hordes) armies that are waiting their coat of paint. They are actually pure grey plastic. lol. Skaven and death (skelies). I already have many paints  pots. My main concern is TIME. What is your advice?

- Wait for those contrast paints? or - Use your pots, you'll see later !

If it were me it would depend on how much painting time you're going to have over the next 2-6 weeks. If it's going to be enough to make a decent dent in your collection then maybe make a start? You could always on those minis or sections of minis that you wouldn't use contrast on anyway, like centrepiece minis or metallics.

It'd also depend on the army. I've painted huge numbers of zombies and Nurgle minis by giving them a Corax White spray and two coats of Athonian Camoshade. Some armies can do very well with just washes. On the other hand if you're working on Witch Aelves I'd definitely wait on these.

Edited by AGPO

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Skaven and death (skelies)

I have literally just put the finishing touches on 100 skellies. It took me a good couple of months, all in. The end result is pretty similar to the bone effect in RuneBrush's picture of a pox walker. I would've definitely waited for the contrast paints if I'd've known when I started - ha ha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what, think I've decided... I'm officially sold on these new paints. Really looking forward to testing them out. First on the block, those Underworlds warbands which I would never have got round to painting. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, lare2 said:

You know what, think I've decided... I'm officially sold on these new paints. Really looking forward to testing them out. First on the block, those Underworlds warbands which I would never have got round to painting. 

That's a really good idea, trying it out on underworlds.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Battlefury said:

So, to be very honest, I think those contrast paint are pure ?>?>?.

Receipe:

1. Take colour you want
3. Paint the model
4. Done

MOD EDIT:  This is a family friendly forum here

12 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Wouldn't that massively defeat the purpose of demonstrating what contrast paints can do, if you are highlighting them anyway?  This whole thing is strange...

I agree with both of you guys.  I'm super skeptical of the benefit of this new paint line and I think it's purely marketing.  I would love to see some side by sides and see if there is any benefit between the standard paint method with individual pots and this new combined method of the contrast paint.  It's also confusing as to why they would want to highlight when they should be promoting the benefit of the contrast paints.

• Like 2

OK, I'll way a month to see those paints and reviews.

The way I see them: this is a tool to speed up main units (schaff) painting. The other paints are a super compliment . I'm sold on this time saving tool.

My main concern is that reading you guys (especially the ones who were at WF2019 testing the paints) is that the result is fragile and need some varnish.

So, we really have to wait for the reviews here.

22 hours ago, The World Tree said:

Those aren't just the contrast paints. But the contrast paints plus usual highlighting techniques. Apparently not the Plague Marine.

That is not what the people who posted the pics said. Particularly Ben. Their actual tweets are linked to with exactly what they said when they posted the pics. If you have more information then I do please share.   I've seen lots of pics this weekend where people just said "I experimented with the new Contrast range and this is what I thought, here's my pics" 

I remembered last night that I received 200+ minis last month from the last Reaper Bones Kickstarter. Some of them are really cool, but most of them don't deserve spending too many hours on them. I'm gonna Contrast the heck out of those, it's should be a great benchmark to test how it behaves.

The people who are complaining about these new paints forming bad habits or holding back people from learning to paint better.... consider this. 

If I can paint 120 clan rats in 10 hours instead of 60 hours.... that's a lot of extra time to put into centerpiece models, painting classes, different techniques, experimentation and practice.  
I'm not going to become a better painter by just painting the same clan rat 120 times. I'll get better by painting different things, with different colours and different techniques.  
If this stuff can save significant time for all the mundane things, then that opens up a lot more time to become a better painter where it actually matters. I don't need to paint every single clan rat to a competition level. But I still need to paint them to play at a tournament or whatever. 

I'm a very slow painter. I think I paint pretty well, but horde armies give me nightmares. There's not enough hours in the day, days in the week and weeks in the year for me to get through that much painting. 
I'm actually going to do an experiment when these paints come out.
I'm going to sit down, record and time how long it takes me to get 120 clan rats to a good tabletop standard using these new paints. 
It will test the time saving, and it will test how good the new paints look. 

• Like 4