So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

On 5/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, Okonomiyakimarine said:

the metallic red looks awful. I hope i can make it work in another way though. How am i supposed to ever finish my 30k thousand sons without contrast points, now that i know that they exist...

I airbrush Tamiya Clear Red (acrylic) over VMC Gold. Looks great. Give it a really light wash with Nuln Oil, but you could also shade more carefully into recesses.

3 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

Joe for a painter like you I think you can get some really cool fast effects  using them like a wash in the amounts you would use a wash.  Some of the videos linked are basically doing that they don't seem to be gobbing it on.

It is true that I had considered the alternate uses for the paints, probably having seen some of the same videos that you have.

That said, it still seems to me that the price is excessive, especially since if I don't use them as the liberal one thick coat way of speed painting, and just as an accent technique, then they really are even more costly. In other words, I could probably get largely similar effects to those sometimes-uses with other less expensive layer/wash/glaze paints I already own.

I dunno. I hear ya, and actually appreciate the encouragement (especially since I was sooooo hyped about getting all of them). I'm just disappointed in the price point.

Note to mods: This is not a price "rant." As someone who worked in GW sales for years, I'm as tired if hearing people whine about prices as anyone. They are free to set their price on the luxury goods they make. I'm simply bummed out and explaining why this price for this product has derailed my once certain purchase of the whole range (plus the attendant expansion to my HobbyZone racking system).

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

Well at this price and the lack of a bundle release , I probably won't buy the lot, but just what I need, just like Runebrush said. So in a way, I guess I should be thankful as it probably saves me from buying paints I never use, or find them dried out by the time I need them. 

Still, is the price really that excessive?  Assuming they come in 18 ml pots (is that actually officially confirmed?) they are like 0,04 GBP per ml more expensive than the normal paint range. Given the normal paints are already expensive, it is still a lot of money of course, and the full range would cost a little fortune, but the price difference will not prevent me from buying at least some of the more useful to me. I guess much comes down to the question how much paint you will need for a single layer. Also take into account that this single layer suppose to replace 3 layers of paints, so in the end I wouldn't be surprised if the total amount paint used, is not much different from the traditional base-shade-layer approach.

@Sleboda I fully understand that the above only applies for the average at best painter like I am, where the result of the traditional approach isn't much better than with contrast (I hope/assume). For the more advanced/very advanced painter (a category I believe you belong to, right?), where the new paint are more an accent technique as you say, I can imagine it is simply not worth the money.

Edited by Lowki

18 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Not saying those guys are wrong, but the "official" word has been one thick coat.

GW's official word on one of their hobby products is hyperbolic and wrong?! *Gasp* - you worked for GW, same as me, you know how often they are internally unaware of how their own products will be used. 

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It is true that I had considered the alternate uses for the paints, probably having seen some of the same videos that you have.

That said, it still seems to me that the price is excessive, especially since if I don't use them as the liberal one thick coat way of speed painting, and just as an accent technique, then they really are even more costly. In other words, I could probably get largely similar effects to those sometimes-uses with other less expensive layer/wash/glaze paints I already own.

I dunno. I hear ya, and actually appreciate the encouragement (especially since I was sooooo hyped about getting all of them). I'm just disappointed in the price point.

Note to mods: This is not a price "rant." As someone who worked in GW sales for years, I'm as tired if hearing people whine about prices as anyone. They are free to set their price on the luxury goods they make. I'm simply bummed out and explaining why this price for this product has derailed my once certain purchase of the whole range (plus the attendant expansion to my HobbyZone racking system).

That being said buddy I'm never a buy it all on release guy (even for armies)  I'm going to try it out with a few here and there.   Given that I've got more pots of paint already  then I know what to do with (some going back 29 years in age!) no reason to buy say 30 new pots at once.

I still feel some of the stuff I've seen from folks just splodging some on during Warhammer Fest on twitter is just spectacular in context of the  the lack of time and  skill involved.  My paint skills are good - there are lots of awards on my trophy shelf, but my output as I get older keeps decreasing due to kids and work.     If I can get fast but still looks good initial layers  I'm quite happy to buy a couple of colors and give it a shot. 

3 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

For bretonian speaking people, here is a quick insight of the Contrast paints by Maxime Pastourel (the guy who designed Mortarion).

Basically he says that he totally embraced and included them in his painting.

His skaven was done in 30 minutes and he used some on his Mortarion.

That's really useful, it looks like Max has replaced a number of the base colours he'd normally use with Contrast - because they cover in one hit and nicely recess shade at the same time.  Really impressed!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, Sleboda said:

Yeah, at that price I've gone from a guaranteed 'buy the range at launch' stance to 'probably won't get any' stance, unfortunately. 

I was really very excited to get them, but now they are just too pricey for what they are. Remember, to use them as designed you are going to burn through pots very quickly. So, not only do you get paint jobs that are lower quality than if you used standard paints and a traditional set of techniques, but you pay much more per model in paint cost.

Pass.

To be honest, that depends in the painter. Most people will get the same or better results with some experience on contrast paints than they will with the regular method i way less time.

So the time they save with better results is something to take into account. For the most experienced painter i am sure some pots might be useful, but if you already an advanced painter, you tend to have the knowledge to be more resourceful and how to get around to get the effects you want.

• Like 1

Of note, GW just released today an article on WC. Preorder this weekend, doing a deal wherein you choose any 4 base, 3 contrast, 2 shade, 1 technical and they'll be at a discount. Curious to see if that competes with other seller's discount on GW products however.

PaintPreOrderPreview-Jun2-BundlePromo3siuhj.jpg

• Like 2

I am just curious. Is the way contrast colors work over white prime similar to what i have chosen to be my main painting technique? I prime white. Take any color I like. Mix it 2 or 3:1with lahmian medium. So i have highlights through the white prime and the very thin color and simultaeniously recesses darkened. If it has to be darker i take another run with either a fitting shade  color or a dark base color mixed again with medium

i actually hardly ever do real manual highlighting except for drybrushing as my hand is not calm enough and it takes too long. 

12 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Of note, GW just released today an article on WC. Preorder this weekend, doing a deal wherein you choose any 4 base, 3 contrast, 2 shade, 1 technical and they'll be at a discount. Curious to see if that competes with other seller's discount on GW products however.

PaintPreOrderPreview-Jun2-BundlePromo3siuhj.jpg

Had exactly the same thought. But we’ll see what the price will be. 

Like @GeneralZero said it’s s hard bundle to decide on and most likely you’ll have the stuff you want in the other categories any way. 

I’m panting greenskins for the first time soon so I might fill a bundle with that but even then it doesn’t seem likely. 

I think it would depend on volume - sure you might not get a red contrast paint for that 1 red space marine model because you've already got 20 shades of red paint to hand and you've got layering/water blending methods and perhaps and airbrush too. However if you're painting up a 200 strong skaven force that brown might be ideal for speeding up the process. 

And even if you're not painting Skavens. Browns are always useful color.
In fact, those are the Contrast paints I'm most interested in. Being able to do all those leather pouches, boots and so on fast? You know, the little details you don't really want to spend time painting, but not doing so would make the model look worse.

• Like 3

You're right about brown. Several other colors are in the same spot:

- skin/pale skin

- red, so many things can be red.

- green and in a lesser extend blue

- gray (more likely light gray)

All of the above have also the usefull option to be super pale with the new medium.

And last but not least:

- bone, yeah, in a world full of bones, how could you possibly miss this one?

Edited by GeneralZero

19 hours ago, Banshee1978 said:

I am just curious. Is the way contrast colors work over white prime similar to what i have chosen to be my main painting technique? I prime white. Take any color I like. Mix it 2 or 3:1with lahmian medium. So i have highlights through the white prime and the very thin color and simultaeniously recesses darkened. If it has to be darker i take another run with either a fitting shade  color or a dark base color mixed again with medium

They do work similar to this, but with a lot stronger pigment colour.  They are also more viscous and have a longer working time than a home made wash, so easier to manage.

20 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

- we don't really know which contrast paints colors are good for us (which ones to chose???).

I'd argue that most of us don't know what regular colours we want either - we get guidance from other painters or guesswork!  Once these hit the public (rather than a handful of lucky painters) it won't be long before we start seeing people including these in how they're painting.

After much consideration, and now seeing the price point, I'm off the opinion that if there is a good bundle deal that comes to roughly 25% off, I'll get the range in one go. Otherwise, I'll get maybe six or so colors max.

Over $8 per bottle (after tax) for a jar that will be gone through very quickly is just excessive.

Edited by Sleboda

I'm contemplating what contrast colors colours to get. It would be great if warhammer community did previews of the colors with sharp close up images of the space marines that were on display at warhammer fest. I for one would love to see a good image of lyanden vs nazdreg yellow and cygor brown vs wyldwood for instance. 

Anyone got any insight whether the pigments in Contrast paints are somehow special or is it just the Contrast Medium that does the magic? I guess what I'm asking is, do you think it's possible or even "easy" to mix your own Contrast paints from layer paints and medium when you need some of the rarer colours...? I like the effect but don't really think I need all the colours. I mean they're not cheap but Warhammer isn't cheap anyway so it's a rather moot discussion. More likely I'd face a lack of shelf space for all them pots. :D