So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

A new technical paint isn't instant talent.  There is a learning curve on how to use it.     But you've got multiple people who have used it  with good results it's hard to argue it's a marketing trick by GW.  That's including Sleboda who aside from his trophy case, has published as many tutorial articles in White Dwarf on painting tips for gamers as anyone else.   (I've played against his stuff on the tournament scene and it's beautiful) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

A new technical paint isn't instant talent.  

Agreed, however I think its also true that using quality tools and using the right tools for the right job can more easily unlock potential talent within a person than using the wrong and/or poor quality tools. 

You can see it more easily in some things than others, for example in photography a good quality camera that allows manual/partial manual controls can often unlock more potential skill in a person than one which is just a point and shoot. Sure composition is still teh same between the two, but one has more creative potential, more control, quality and less excuses from the operator as to failings.

I think these new paints are going to fall into the category of unlocking more potential skill within people. I think the results will do a lot to boost moral and confidence in people which will in turn encourage them to paint more. More practice, seeking greater skill and results and encouraged to paint up more models will, in turn, create new painters. Sure other brands of paint might do similar, but GW is bundling this in with a big marketing push that other paint companies haven't done. 
The community site also made mention of "battle ready" articles and painting tutorials being put out over the next months. GW is doing this to help sell their paint, but it will also boost painting across the board.

• Like 3

Agree entirely.  Was  responding to the idea someone out there had bad results with a high quality tool  means the tool doesn't work.  

I'm very excited for these new Contrast products.   I'll take faster, easier to get basic painting done any day which hopefully lets people work on the next level of painting skill at their convenience.

Edited by gjnoronh

Looks really good, though Mengel is obv really experienced at life-hacky high standard batch painting and other people will take longer than two hours to figure out the technique. Definitely a positive overall to have a quick and efficient option.

Wonder how long it'll take for people to figure out a bunch of wacky unintended bonus uses for them

Was wondering what it would be like to use these over an airbrushed zenithal prime but I guess you might struggle to get enough coverage over the darker shades.

43 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Was wondering what it would be like to use these over an airbrushed zenithal prime but I guess you might struggle to get enough coverage over the darker shades.

Zenithal doesn't have to be white on black. If you think you'll get a better result, white on mid-grey is totally acceptable, it just depends how deep you want your shadows. Maybe add a blue or red glaze over the primer to get cooler or warmer coolers(not unlike the new spray primers). There's gonna be a lot of fun experimentations in the near future!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, gjnoronh said:

That's including Sleboda who aside from his trophy case, has published as many tutorial articles in White Dwarf on painting tips for gamers as anyone else.   (I've played against his stuff on the tournament scene and it's beautiful) 

Aww, shucks man, yer makin' me blush. 😊

Thanks for the kind words.

7 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

There's gonna be a lot of fun experimentations in the near future!

Truth! I'm very excited. I have not looked forward to a new hobby product this much in a long, long time.

13 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Wonder how long it'll take for people to figure out a bunch of wacky unintended bonus uses for them

I give it less than a day 😉  The 'Eavy Metal guys have found the new paints to be fantastic for glazing over metallics for the shadows - apparently they're much easier to control than a regular thinned down paint.  You also get some quite funky results airbrushing them too.

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I give it less than a day 😉  The 'Eavy Metal guys have found the new paints to be fantastic for glazing over metallics for the shadows - apparently they're much easier to control than a regular thinned down paint.  You also get some quite funky results airbrushing them too.

Oh tell me more?

3 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

Oh tell me more?

From what I heard, because the paint is transparent, they act as a filter rather than a solid overlay colour when airbrushed.  I'm guessing they give a similar effect to airbrushing an ink over a colour.  Looking forward to having a play with this when they're released as there still isn't a good replacement for the old FW clear red paint!

Honestly having seen the pro video on wc, and mengels work with them, I'm very interested. I'll be testing them out before buying but I can see them being very useful. As someone who considers themself intermediate to advanced, I see these being very useful. Not so much for doing more grimdark muted work, but standard stuff like my aos schemes will benefit greatly. I hate basecoating. I struggle to get through it to highlighting which I really enjoy. As such this will greatly speed it up. First go will be on looncurse.

I’m  really looking forward to trying it on some scenery. And for the little side-projects (ie. Underworlds Warbands) that I get distracted with.

Be nice to finally finish of those things I never seem to get round to. Think I’m exactly the customer GW is trying to sell this to. :)

Edited by ManlyMuppet88
  • Like 1

I think he really highlights where I believe Contrast is really going to shine: organic and natural materials, like flesh and leather and stone. From most of the picture I've seen, the Contrast paints look like they leave a bit of a textured pattern on flat surfaces which can be really interesting for natural material that are not usually just one flat color. Creating these textures with normal acrylic paints is a pretty long and complicated process with a lot of glazing with either very thin paint or wash, and it's always difficult to recreate a good chaotic pattern. And the long drying time will allow for some easy wet blending to add some color variations.

The stippling idea is also interesting: because of the thickness of the paint and the way it dries, stippling might produce small gradient dots that look more natural than the usual opaque dots we get from normal paint. Could be cool!

I checked out the article today and while I did not like all of the examples shown in regards to simple coverage (the Ork skin did not turn out well), I will say that the black and white looked absolutely fantastic.  Those are two colors that I have never really managed to become good at shading/highlighting and these paints look like a really good start.  So just for that alone I am really glad these are coming out.  The other colors I expect will have some use - but I really want the black and white.

I think I will pick up the full set when it comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asensur said:

It is there any review with zenithal priming? 

Not yet as I believe all testing has been done in a closed environment.  Am intrigued how this could work with a coloured base (e.g. blue), white(ish) zenithal prime and then Contrast on the top!

Another thought for these new paints - I've just got some 18mm models - layering on such small models can be more of a challenge before you start obscuring detail. Contrast paints could be a huge game changer for them in terms of what is possible on such a small area, esp for establishing a very solid base colour and some highlight/shading. 

17 hours ago, SolomonHelsing said:

I might have to save a chaos warrior or two to try the purple over metal, see how it compares to my purple inks look wise. 

ContrastPaintRange-May24-MetalExample11s

Well seeing how these g over leadbelcher and retributory armor I'm very glad my Path To Glory Slaves can wait a bit to get done as the purple should look great over leadbelcher, Got a few spare warriors to try the different shades with first before my initial warband. 

7 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

I think he really highlights where I believe Contrast is really going to shine: organic and natural materials, like flesh and leather and stone. From most of the picture I've seen, the Contrast paints look like they leave a bit of a textured pattern on flat surfaces which can be really interesting for natural material that are not usually just one flat color. Creating these textures with normal acrylic paints is a pretty long and complicated process with a lot of glazing with either very thin paint or wash, and it's always difficult to recreate a good chaotic pattern. And the long drying time will allow for some easy wet blending to add some color variations.

The stippling idea is also interesting: because of the thickness of the paint and the way it dries, stippling might produce small gradient dots that look more natural than the usual opaque dots we get from normal paint. Could be cool!

I just found the color sheme of my up coming FEC army: the job that he did on the arch-regent is just amazing.

BTW, as a deaf person, the subtitles doesn't help a lot. For the flesh, I've undertood that he used a medium. But the top red? the armour red? Can someone help me to figure out how he did it (step by step)? Which undercoat? Which paint? how to do the flesh tone? the top red? the armour red? Thx in advance guys.