So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

11 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Speaking of old paint still in use - here's a pic from my choices from Purples when I was working on some Blood Bowl Dark Elf stuff.  I've got some of my original 1990 GW paints and plenty of my stuff from the 90's and early 2000s.  Storage  (Upside down in an airtight container for any paint but not inks) and maintenance  (checking paints every now and then adding some medium or water to paints getting too thick) helps a lot!

https://twitter.com/Khornelord/status/1136436798509527041

Thanks for sharing.  I have only been in the hobby a year and some change, I have a pretty nice collection of citadel paints, but I am worried about them keeping. I imagine especially with contrast that it will take me years too exhaust some of the colors. 

Can you explain more of your methods? 
What does storing upside down do? Do you do these to all your paints in use (let's say I'monly  going to go a day or a week before i use a paint again, should i always store it upside down?)
How often do you find you need to add water to paints?   
I received some old paints off ebay once (with a collection of minis) and i found most of them were too far gone to revitalize with added water, though it did seem to work for a couple that weren't already too dry. 

Evaporation occurs due to exchange of liquids (water mostly) from the paint into the air.  That occurs between the air in the container above the paint and with exchange of air through the gaps in the space between bottle and  paint pot lid to the surrounding air.

Storing it upside down means there is less volume of space for air exchange between the liquid paint and 'air under the lid' as there really isn't any.  The liquid paint doesn't diffuse through the gaps around the lid - there is some exchange between paint and the air at those gaps in the lid but it's not as much because the space is less.  

By keeping them in an air tight container you are essentially creating a 'humid' environment when you aren't using the paints for an extended period of time.  This reduces evaporative loss as well.    It won't matter as much if you use them every night but we all have those periods when the paints get put away and we don't think about them for a some time. When I crack that lid after a long period of not using you get a big whiff of paint solvents 'new paint smell' that loss is happening all the time in more open set ups.   

How often I add water depends on how the paints look like.  In the past I'd just go through the entire collection once every 6 months to a year and open every pot check the status and add water if I think appropriate. I haven't done that for a bit (and I've thrown away a few pots in the last year so that may be related!)   Dropper top ones I deal with less often because it's more of a pain in the neck to do.   

Its too late when it's a dried out mess, but if things are starting to look a bit too thick in the pot you should add some water.      If you are going to always be diluting your paint on the palette anyhow a little more water may keep it at the right consistency to use out of the pot.

Edited by gjnoronh

Ok the paints are up on NZ website:

For what I see:

• Pots are 18ml
  • The battle Ready Paint Set (4-3-2-1) saves you about 30 NZD  13 NZD on an otherwise total of 111 NZD 
  • The full contrast bundle saves 13,7 NZD  nothing...
  • Contrast Medium and Stormshield are the same price as contrast 
  • At least they show small example pictures for each contrast paint (and brief instruction for whcih paints to combine to get the effect shown). 

The Batlle Ready paint set could be an interesting option to consider, if it would be a permanent option. But now I am just interested in Contrast, the new medium and the primers. I really don't need shades atm. The bundle really isn't a save at all...order individualy  via the known resellers is probably much cheaper

All under the condition that I didn't make miscalculation, and the price difference will be the same for all countries (NZ is generally more expensive ) 

Edited by Lowki
  • Thanks 1

I think you did make a miscalculation (or i did)

All prices in NZD:

For the mega bundle...$13.5 * 34 = $459 .  This is the typical $0 savings. typical GW "1 click for you convenience bundle" 

For the 4-3-2-1:
4 base paints: 7.5x4 = 30
3 contrast 2 shades 1 contrast medium: 13.5x6 = 81
so I got a total of $111 NZD, which means the bundle($98) only saves $13 NZD, not even 1 free contrast paint and helps them dump their old and drying stock of base paints that they now intend to sell much less of. 

So assuming the savings is the same % in the US (11.7) this bundle is still slightly more expensive than it costs us to buy paint from literally anywhere other than games workshop directly.  And you aren't restricted to this exact ratio of paints. 

2 hours ago, Asensur said:

Black Templar unavailable... 

My order will have to wait. 

I was strongly leaning toward placing an order at full retail with GW in order to get some paints ASAP. If they've managed to once again fail to produce enough product to meet demand (ala several of the dual army boxes), then I'll simply wait and order from Amazon or a discount flgs. 

How annoying.

Edited by Sleboda

There’s definitely a certain “look” to them which I don’t like close up. Likee a particularly refined sort of dipping. They work because they adhere to the shape and contours of the model so effectively but I think that leads to a particularly garish, slightly wet comic book pop that I don’t like. It’s hard to explain but it feels like it highlights and shades everything equally, and I’ve moved to a much more selective form of both personally speaking.

I like  painted models to look painted, I like delicate indication of brushstrokes. These treat the model as essentially a 3D map that you block in the territories of. I have a similar feeling about airbrushes too in that they tend to remove any of the analogue signs of craft, and thus personality. Again people are free to paint as they wish, it’s not a judgement. I’ve come to the realisation personally that despite wishing I could paint faster or complete more of my armies etc, the most important thing to me is that I’m pleased with them when they’re done, and that will probably mean dipping in and out over the course of years. Life is too complicated and real to turn a hobby into anything other than a joy, however occasional. 

Totally just my preference though. From a perspective of using models at tabletop level or producing armies in a short space of time they will work wonders.

Most importantl for me,  while I doubt this was the reasoning behind them, thinking in particular of some less co-ordinated hobbyists or kids with learning disabilities etc it will allow them to be able to field models that look like the ones they see in WD up to a point. Now I’m a huge fan of encouraging people in that bracket to paint how they wish because it will lead to a more unique and expressionistic style than most of us ever achieve, but again most people want to have their models look like the GW archetype and I am genuinely delighted for them that this option makes it considerably easier to do that.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

I think you did make a miscalculation (or i did)

All prices in NZD:

Yeah you are completely right, for some mysterious reason i used a price of 13,9 NZD for one pot of contrast, instead of 13,5

Stupid I admit

I don't see any particular sale on the GW site except for the forced old paint bundle with (only) 3 new contrast. I just want contrast (got the others).

Reduced price only on online shops. Am I wrong?

I'll try to focus on my need on ONE army (FEC) and limit my first contrast purchase on 10 (MAX) contrast colors (technicaly 9 colors+1 medium). Even less. Hard to limit the palette (skely+ skin tones+ reds+browns+ violets you are already around 10)

1 hour ago, Nos said:

I like  painted models to look painted, I like delicate indication of brushstrokes. These treat the model as essentially a 3D map that you block in the territories of. I have a similar feeling about airbrushes too in that they tend to remove any of the analogue signs of craft, and thus personality.

Well said. With dips (and to an extent for most airbrushing by most people) the "art" seems like it's missing.

In my opinion, dipping was one of the worst things ever to happen to this hobby. I think the contrast paints are significantly different from dips, but I understand the similarity you are implying.

Edited by Sleboda

So you pay $57 instead of $61...but doesn't reach the free shipping threshold, so unless you're buying something else direct order, means you're actually paying more for these paints than you would at the store. Why does GW do this? Every other storefront in the world offers sales and discounts, you know, to encourage customers to shop with them. 

I was so ready to buy into this deal if it was something like $50 for the bundle. Man I'm disappointed. Guess I'll just pick up one or two contrast paints when they show up at the local shops.

Edited by Mutton

Aaaaaand they're gone.

Under one hour on the GW US site and the contrast paint collection is sold out. 

Dumb, dumb, dumb. A $250ish sale evaporates. Now I'll wait and pick up a few pots here and there down the road when they could have had my full impulse buy today. This lack of demand planning has reached the ludicrous level.

When I worked in sales at GW we were trained to ride retailers hard about ordering onesies or special ordering since a product always sells best when it's hot, fresh, and in stock. Now the very same thing that used to kill us about bad retailers is manifesting all too often from GW themselves.

I know we're not supposed to be negative here, so I'll say this: at least it means people are interested in the new paints.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It means people are so interested in new paints GW is stock outstripped. 

Honestly I think these issues started a LONG time back in the Kirby era. GW was bleeding a lot of mature gamers for a very long time under Kirby. It wasn't all in one night it was a steady bleed of customers who drifted to other games, other markets. Heck the explosion of millions of £ of kickstarters alone showed how much money was floating around that GW wasn't picking up nor tapping into. 

So now GW has not only  come out of that era; not only made huge changes but also markets like crazy. Before they relied basically only on white dwarf and store launches with a little info online; but mostly the community had to hunt for hints. Today GW is pushing out news 7 days a week! Who here will be eagerly refreshing the site come late tomorrow to see what next weeks pre-orders and previews are. 

So I figure some of their stock issues are because they didn't grow themselves over those formative years and now they've got a huge resurged market that's bigger than they can cope for. That said Contrast paints is huge and GW has made it huge so its not just hitting their core market; its hitting the whole miniatures market at large (and perhapsa bit beyond too). So I'm not shocked they are out of stock. I'd expect swifter restocking of the paints; but I'd say riding out a 1 month or so choppy period where there's abnormally high pressure on them.

Plus at present from GW's point of view that $250 is already theirs either directly or through 3rd parties. You can't get your contrast fix from anyone else, so GW knows if you're not getting it today you'll likely huff and puff and get it when it is in stock next time. So provided they restock well they don't lose out and gamers don't lose out much either.

Plus don't forget over the next few weeks you can benefit by getting all the 2nd hand info from those who have used it and find out what works and what doesnt. 

Personally I'm more excited for 15mm models and contrast paints. 

Might be worth pointing out that the stock issue isn't absolute - the big bundle is no longer available because certain colours (Black, White, Talassar Blue, Darkoath Flesh, Warp Lightning Green at the time of writing) have sold out their preorder allocation. Individual stores will still be getting all of these in next Saturday, and the rest of the range is available in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Plus at present from GW's point of view that $250 is already theirs either directly or through 3rd parties. You can't get your contrast fix from anyone else, so GW knows if you're not getting it today you'll likely huff and puff and get it when it is in stock next time. 

Except not. Like I said, I had an impulse to get the full set today. I had been wavering on getting any at all because, for me (even though I can afford it), they are priced about $1.50 too high. Then I bought into the hype, saw the one-stop-shop option to get them, and thought "yeah, why not?"

Then I couldn't get them.

Now, when the hype frenzy has died down and they are in stock somewhere near me, I'll go get some, maybe even a dozen, of the colors. They're losing the sale of about 20 jars, plus whatever I might have added to the preorder that is now no longer happening.

I'm not saying my lost dollars will hurt them, but I suspect I'm not the only one in this boat.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

1. After Carrion Empire and Looncurse sold out, you should know by now that GW was gonna run out of stock quickly.

2. After Carrion Empire and Looncurse sold out, GW should know by now that GW was gonna run out of stock quickly.

I don't know what everyone is surprised about.

9 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

1. After Carrion Empire and Looncurse sold out, you should know by now that GW was gonna run out of stock quickly.

2. After Carrion Empire and Looncurse sold out, GW should know by now that GW was gonna run out of stock quickly.

The difference of course are those were limited run box sets and these are permanent staples of the GW lineup.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

People hoping that GW would learn lesson from #2 😝

• Like 1