So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

8 minutes ago, Weazel said:

Anyone got any insight whether the pigments in Contrast paints are somehow special or is it just the Contrast Medium that does the magic? I guess what I'm asking is, do you think it's possible or even "easy" to mix your own Contrast paints from layer paints and medium when you need some of the rarer colours...? I like the effect but don't really think I need all the colours. I mean they're not cheap but Warhammer isn't cheap anyway so it's a rather moot discussion. More likely I'd face a lack of shelf space for all them pots. :D

I dont think any amount of medium can turn a base/layer into a contrast.

I think its entirely possible to mix your own Contrast paint given the plethora of miniature paints, pigments, and mediums available nowadays. From the videos they look most similar to an ink to me and inks are what is normally used in sketch style miniature painting which is what the contrast system basically is. That all said, it is probably far, FAR easier to just buy Contrast paint rather than mix your own. I think people have said this before but you can totally make your own washes but even pro-painters will generally just buy Nuln oil or whatever it is they want.

The thing I'll put out though is that I don't think Contrast is some sort of super advanced new-age paint that no other company could ever replicate  (which I've seen a couple of too excited people basically say). Its basically an ink with its medium adjusted (Haven't worked with it myself yet). If Contrast is successful (which I think it will be) I fully expect Army Painter, Scale 75, and the other miniature paint companies to come out with their own version relatively soon. I.e. still might be a year or two to get the formula exact and then put into production and distribution.

• Like 1

Just saw today’s Citadel application video on an Ultramarine. TBH, I didn’t like the outcome.

The blue looked a bit patchier than I would have liked, like the areas where undercoat was showing through where it shouldn’t be.

The white + yellow for gold Didn’t look bad for a darkened old gold look, but I can’t help but think Ret Armour + shade wouldn’t look better.

They also skipped what they did for the silver details.

Really gonna have to try these out myself, because they look way better in application on other channels.

From al that I've seen, contrast paint don't render as neat as I'd like on armour plate guys, like SM, primaris, Tau, (and their vehicles) etc... 

But they seem to be winners for organic, clothes, details you dont want to spend time on (belts, holsters etc...).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuperKick said:

On the official AOS FB someone asked will they be bundled together in a set and the response was "We reckon that's pretty likely"

Yeah, is expect it, but when GW pts together bundles, they don't discount. It's pretty much always a convenience of ordering sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Yeah, is expect it, but when GW pts together bundles, they don't discount. It's pretty much always a convenience of ordering sort of thing.

It varies, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. It really depends on if GW wants to push sales on something. Eg Terrain has been a big push of theirs recently and they've been doing deals (eg kiltleam) to shift it. Meanwhile paints and contrast paints I've a feeling that they likely won't need to push sales so they might not do a bundle sale deal; or feel they need to at any rate. 

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

From al that I've seen, contrast paint don't render as neat as I'd like on armour plate guys, like SM, primaris, Tau, (and their vehicles) etc... 

But they seem to be winners for organic, clothes, details you dont want to spend time on (belts, holsters etc...).

I think the details is an area they will really shine in because small details are always some of the most challenging to paint let alone then go in and try to shade and highlight. so a one-coat done approach might be a life saver for buckles and belts, straps, harness, pouches and the like. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It varies, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. It really depends on if GW wants to push sales on something. Eg Terrain has been a big push of theirs recently and they've been doing deals (eg kiltleam) to shift it. Meanwhile paints and contrast paints I've a feeling that they likely won't need to push sales so they might not do a bundle sale deal; or feel they need to at any rate. 

They will do deals in the form of items packed together for cheaper than individually, for instance (as you mentioned) Kill Team and Start Collecting boxes, but I can't recall them just giving a straight up price break on buying many of a thing, especially a new thing. 

Regardless, we'll see pretty soon, but like you, I suspect they won't give a break on a 'buy the whole range' grouping.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

They will do deals in the form of items packed together for cheaper than individually, for instance (as you mentioned) Kill Team and Start Collecting boxes, but I can't recall them just giving a straight up price break on buying many of a thing, especially a new thing. 

Regardless, we'll see pretty soon, but like you, I suspect they won't give a break on a 'buy the whole range' grouping.

Maybe a big mega box at the end of the year with all of them like they do for a few armies and Terrain sets. We tend to get cheap bundles about a year after release (see KO and Deepkin Start Collecting boxes).

6 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Maybe a big mega box at the end of the year with all of them like they do for a few armies and Terrain sets. We tend to get cheap bundles about a year after release (see KO and Deepkin Start Collecting boxes).

Sure, but again, those are not a bundle of existing SKUs. They are new products that contain previously available models (the SC boxes, I mean).

I'm taking about them rarely (never, to my memory) offering to take some money off as some sort of incentive to buy all of the items in a range/release.

Doesn't really matter, and I'm not trying to be fussy, but I'm pointing out that I'll be shocked if they do some kind of "preorder all the new individual contrast paints and we'll give you four of them for free.". It's just not a thing for them.

I’m loving the potential in the Contrast paints. I believe they will work really well with the existing system as well.  I’ve been playing around with Hexwraith flame as it appears to be the closest thing to Contrast paints in the existing range and it works really well with washes/glazes/drybrushing to produce a fine finish in a shorter time than painting as normal.   A much better finish than current speed painting techniques  

3 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I’m loving the potential in the Contrast paints. I believe they will work really well with the existing system as well.  I’ve been playing around with Hexwraith flame as it appears to be the closest thing to Contrast paints in the existing range and it works really well with washes/glazes/drybrushing to produce a fine finish in a shorter time than painting as normal.   A much better finish than current speed painting techniques  

I think this and the Nighthaunt Gloom were a way to test the market for these paints. 

22 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Really gonna have to try these out myself, because they look way better in application on other channels

I thought it was me! Yeah totally! Super weird how other channels look better. And I understand that’s a promotion on their side as well, but how does the usually excellent warhammer tv get outperformed on their own big release product. 

The BIG thing that I am expecting GW to do (or eventuelly someone else if they fail to to it):

One same miniature. (ideally 2: one organic like fec, skaven, pox..., one armored like primaris)

For EACH color, give a render of the same miniature applied on:

- corax white (yes, pure white or neutral white) undercoat

- the new light beige undercoat

- the new light grey undercoat

Take pictures in the same light. (ideally daylight)

This way, we'll have a better idea which color needed.

We have something  already with the primaris exposed at the Warhammer fest. We need something more official, closer to something usefull.

I'm expecting it SOON. GW, DO IT  now!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, VascoPinto said:

I'm contemplating what contrast colors colours to get. It would be great if warhammer community did previews of the colors with sharp close up images of the space marines that were on display at warhammer fest. I for one would love to see a good image of lyanden vs nazdreg yellow and cygor brown vs wyldwood for instance. 

4 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

The BIG thing that I am expecting GW to do (or eventuelly someone else if they fail to to it):

One same miniature. (ideally 2: one organic like fec, skaven, pox..., one armored like primaris)

For EACH color, give a render of the same miniature applied on:

- corax white (yes, pure white or neutral white) undercoat

- the new light beige undercoat

- the new light grey undercoat

Take pictures in the same light. (ideally daylight)

This way, we'll have a better idea which color needed.

We have something  already with the primaris exposed at the Warhammer fest. We need something more official, closer to something usefull.

I'm expecting it SOON. GW, DO IT  now!

I feel the same. Not to rant GW, I generaly like what they do, but this I don't understand. How hard can it be to share some pictures? And if not to the level as suggested by generalZero, the least they can do is sharing sharp closeups of the miniatures as they were displayed at Warhammer Fest UK.

Now, apart from what I can make up out of the various reviews vidz, I am totally in the dark what to choose, and I rather get a bunch at once instead of just trying 2 or 3 first, because of the cost and time for shipping.

Black and white are probably instant choices, and I guess I will get at least some from the brown and skin tones, but other than that I would really like to compare the different shades of the  other colours in the range.

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Black and white are probably instant choices, and I guess I will get at least some from the brown and skin tones, but other than that I would really like to compare the different shades of the  other colours in the range.

This is my thoughts.

While I feel that I am a good painter those are 2 colors that I never really figured out how to do well (because I never spent the time).  I am currently trying to get my small Empire force for Star Wars: Legion onto the table and it is not an army that I feel the need to paint to 100% and I am perfectly fine going for a table-top quality.  So my plans are to pick up the white and black paints and then use my Legion army of Storm Troopers to play around with these paints and get a handle on working with them.  From there I will invest in other colors for different armies once I have more experience with the range and have need of the other colors.

I will probably pick up a couple browns at launch as well to use for painting the robes of my moonclan.

• Like 2

The very first color you HAVE to buy, whatever your next contrast color is,  is.....the NO color contrat medium !!!

- useful for all contrast colors

- gives you a whole range of color for each  contrast color.

I noticed in all the 3rd party videos that the best contrast are obtained  on relatively clear colors. And even beter when diluted with this medium.

I'll get one pot for sure when I buy  my contrast colors, especially for the pale skins tone (FEC, Bones, Skaven come in mind but also most of the drapes/fabric on them and for example on my stormcast...)

Edited by GeneralZero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

The very first color you HAVE to buy, whatever your next contrast color is,  is.....the NO color contrat medium !!!

- useful for all contrast colors

- gives you a whole range of color for each  contrast color.

I noticed in all the 3rd party videos that the best contrast are obtained  on relatively clear colors. And even beter when diluted with this medium.

I'll get one pot for sure when I buy  my contrast colors, especially for the pale skins tone (FEC, Bones, Skaven come in mind but also most of the drapes/fabric on them and for example on my stormcast...)

Is the medium they are selling really much different from the variety of acrylic mediums you can get from an artist supply store?  I mean, the main difference between artist/craft/model acrylic paints is how pigments are handled.  When you take pigments out of the equation is there a real reason to pay more for medium that you may be able to buy in larger bulk?

I'll probably buy a single pot of GWs medium - and then compare it to artist stuff on the market and see if there is a marked difference.

Edited by Skabnoze

It's not the same as Lahmian Medium which is essentially your typical artist medium.    The contrast paints apparently have a very weird chemistry which is why you can't dilute them with water unlike  other acrylic paints I've heard of.    So I don't think you could use any medium interchangeably (but who knows)

Related -  one of the articles/videos  on the GW site went through the science of paint I learned a lot generally speaking not just 'contrast is cool' but how while pigments are pretty much industry standard it's the variances in the medium that tend to drive some of the differing properties of different 'paints.'  

In other words a brown brush paint, spray paint, airbrush paint,  glaze, ink, wash, techical paint (agrellan earth) and contrast paint all may have the exact same pigments (or very close) but the differences in the medium is what makes them act as very different products.   I've been hearing that from some youtube channels in the last year or so that really it's all the same Titanium Oxide for example for white's but it's what else in there as a medium that tends to make differing paints act differently. 

Agrellan earth apparently was an accidental  discovery when they had a new medium GW was testing that contracted so much during drying it cracked - they ended up making a technical paint out of it as the effect was cool for cracked earth.  

I suspect that means a chunk of the differences in cost for paints containing the same pigments (i.e. cheap craft paint or house paints vs miniature paints) is the medium. Scale 75 is considered a premier line of paints but it's very expensive it's probably generally speaking not because of better pigments (but it could be a  somewhat different mix) it's because of a great medium for suspending those pigments and applying them to a miniature surface in a way that ends with a pleasing result.