So, what do we think of the new Contrast paints?

Looks pretty interesting. Could be good for horde armies like Skaven. I am especially interested in combining the colours with the existing range and how the 'Eavy Metal team might use them. Think you will like them?

Edited by Greyshadow

They look really great! What will be interesting to see is not just fast painted models with them, but when more advanced users get a hold and start mixing them up with additional highlighting and colour blending and layering. 

At the very least they cut down a huge amount of basic edging work so might lead to more casual advanced layering methods - eg now you've got th basic edging done on the whole model and more time to spend picking out select highlights on the most highly raised surfaces etc..... 

For beginner and the less skilled it looks a marvel to get models painted fast  and hoard armies like skaven are going to love it for getting more clan rats on the table!

• Like 2

I hope to see a picture of all colors on some test minis like in the showcase/vitrine - I could imagine that using this combined with zenithal highlights from an AB could wield very interesting results, especially for quick skintones/flesh.

Personally if I paint something it has to be good because I'm a firm believer that it's only worth to do something if you're doing it well and wouldn't be content with just those paints but they look like they could be a very helpful tool even for more advanced painters.

For those that just want to get ****** done they seem to be perfect (and truth be told, they were formulated exactly for those gents) - so everyone wins!

A small thing that brought me joy where some of the throwback names... Snakebite leather, ultramarines Blue, etc.

Also the new primer could be very good, I imagine it to be very smooth.

• Like 1

I don't believe I'm writing this but I might be actually more excited than as if they showed a new army. Under one condition - the effects will be as good as shown in the video. Will defenitely test them myself. If what they show is true, then I will paint Gloomspite army in no time.

Edited by Aryann
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Im testing it before I judge because it sounds a bit too good to be true.. but... if it works it’s a great option. 

That’s how I feel. The skink in the video looks a bit rough but it isn’t bad at all for table top standard. Hopefully, we’ll get someone who has tried them out at the demo to enlighten us.

I think a skilled painter working well with layers of highlights will get a better effect for certain, but for hitting tabletop standard quickly or for providing a base coat to work up from for further selective highlighting this paint could be a huge time-saver. 

The only thing I can see it might lack in is that the way it works means colours in all 3 regions are the same shade, so if you wanted a variation in shade between two or more colours that might not work; however it remains to be seen. 

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Looking at it again I honestly feel the Contrast painted model has more depth. That could also easily be because of some extra effort but I like the second model more. 

image.png.ba6e4c22b63985936d8d3610dc0c4f26.png

I think they used more layer paints in the second miniature compared to the first one. that's why we think the second is better.

However, I still think it's a great product and maybe cheaper.

Edited by Mungrun

30 minutes ago, Mungrun said:

I mean it's still Citadel branded paint! 😉

I'll need to wait for more reviews but it would be interesting if this replaces the "dip" (via brush of course, not actually dip) method for quick and fast paint jobs. Or at the very least gives an alternative.

Or did I miss the methodology and this is a form of the dip method but combining the Prime+Base Coat part?

Seems very similar to the “painting with inks/washes” method of speed paint. But more colours and anything that lets people paint quicker if they want to is welcome!

I feel one thing that’s really not understood is that the new models are so sharply detailed at this point is that they do most of the work themselves. When I started painting 20+ years ago a huge part of painting technique was about working against the limitations of the model casts. Those Models were and still are great in respect to their form and character, don’t get me wrong, but there was a lot less relief and small detail so you really had to work to produce a sense of depth.

New models though, so long as your layers aren’t too thick it’s basically impossible to obscure the detail. There’s obviously still a tremendous degree of craft in painting well as objects to be looked at in great depth, but if you just want figures on the table to look good, just paint neat with thin layers and washes for shade and they will look Great.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mungrun said:

I think they used more layer paints in the second miniature compared to the first one. that's why we think the second is better.

Yeap. They didn’t edge highlight the first model, tis a trick!

I'm torn.

One one hand, I'm happy to see innovation, happy for (almost) anything that reduces the amount of grey plastic I have to face on the table, and happy for those who will be encouraged to take up or increase their participation in the hobby.

On the other hand, I'm feeling trepidation over the cost, the quality of results, and the idea that some painters may reach a "good enough" level of result and never reach further - it would be a shame for them to miss out on the awesome feeling you get when you 'level up' as a painter.

On the other-other hand, I'm bummed. I really was looking forward to something that was going to explain the totally freaking amazing red on the Looncurse squig riding character (and on the new chaos feral/raw guys also seen in today's preview). I've chased the red holy grail for decades, and never quite hit the mark. I wanted the new paint announcement to be tied to making that red.

12 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

I think a better comparison would be

old primer with traditional 2 thin coat
 new primer with traditional 2 thin coat
new primer with new contrast paint

Because they seemed to advertise the new spray primer as something needed for the contrast paints to work

The new primer is basically zenithal.

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

On the other hand, I'm feeling trepidation over the cost, the quality of results, and the idea that some painters may reach a "good enough" level of result and never reach further - it would be a shame for them to miss out on the awesome feeling you get when you 'level up' as a painter.

It's more likely that the easier higher level of achievement that the paint allows one to reach will result in more people being more confident to actually paint and thus develop skills. I know many get fearful when it comes to paint because whilst you "can" strip models its a pain in the neck, never cleans them perfectly and isn't ideal. Plus it takes ages.
So yeah many end up not painting or not painting much. A paint that allows people to get their army ready to go that fast - yeah I can see it encouraging them to keep painting, to paint more and get more models on the table but also improve hteir skills. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1