AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

On 3/8/2020 at 11:35 PM, CeleFAZE said:

With what you have you could probably run an Epicurean Revellers list with two mobs of 30 daemonettes and a unit of 5 hellstriders as a cheap 3rd battleline.

Mounted daemonettes, seekers, are actually pretty good, but generally aren't seen in lists since you want to maximize heroes for depravity generation. I think you could get some mileage out of them though, as they'll pop up to 6 attacks a model in the turn after they cause any casualties. Generally you would just use them to run at obscene speeds to eliminate backline threats like unprotected characters and artillery.

but maybe two Contorted Epitomes to give you a better shot at making your enemies strike last,  

I was looking at Epicurean Revellers.  And not maximizing heroes.  In general I am a huge fan of the Exalted Chariot with a Blade Bringer.  

2 x Epitome's

Masque

5 Hellstriders

Epicurian Revellers (containing the follow)

2 x 30 girls, 3 Hellflayers, Exalted Chariot.  While the latter particularly is better as heroes I'm looking to maximize on MW output.  Sure it won't be that high but the Battalion is 180 points.  I also want to make the 60 girls the workhorse for objective control and being scary.  I am proxying the 3rd HF cause i own lots of chariots and it makes the list 2000 exact.  I've toyed with the idea of dropping HFs, making the Exalted a hero and taking Sylle Eske.

I didn't fit in any Seekers even though I'm a fan.  If only they were in the ER Battalion.  

I'm not overly concerned with maximizing the Slaanesh Hero/Depravity but more just taking the army and seeing how it fairs and what I can do to fine tune it for what it is.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I was looking at Epicurean Revellers.  And not maximizing heroes.  In general I am a huge fan of the Exalted Chariot with a Blade Bringer.  

2 x Epitome's

Masque

5 Hellstriders

Epicurian Revellers (containing the follow)

2 x 30 girls, 3 Hellflayers, Exalted Chariot.  While the latter particularly is better as heroes I'm looking to maximize on MW output.  Sure it won't be that high but the Battalion is 180 points.  I also want to make the 60 girls the workhorse for objective control and being scary.  I am proxying the 3rd HF cause i own lots of chariots and it makes the list 2000 exact.  I've toyed with the idea of dropping HFs, making the Exalted a hero and taking Sylle Eske.

I didn't fit in any Seekers even though I'm a fan.  If only they were in the ER Battalion.  

I'm not overly concerned with maximizing the Slaanesh Hero/Depravity but more just taking the army and seeing how it fairs and what I can do to fine tune it for what it is.  

Let us know how it works out. I've been a bit disappointed with the performance of my army when I don't focus on depravity generation, but if you can make it work I'd love to hear how it went. There's just so much cool stuff I want to run that isn't 2-3 keepers.

30 minutes ago, Shaquilleoheal said:

Anyone know the size  base  of the Herald of Slaanesh character? 25mm or 32?

It's in the FAQ on base sizes on  the Warhammer Community website 🙂 I believe it is 25 though, but check if you want to be 100% 👍

Looking at Slaanesh and I am taking a fancy to hellstriders, but while going over the Hosts options it struck me that even though they are technically battleline, no host really seems like a fit for them.

- Invaders are supposed to be based on Epicurean Revellers, not Seeker Cavalcades, even though you aren't penalized for not adhering to this.
- Pretenders' battle brait only applies to units with 10 or more models, which means your army effectively won't have it unless you take units of 15+ hellstriders. Those units may not necessarily be bad in themselves, but you are put into a straitjacket in terms of spending points that will heavily alter what you could include in the rest of your list. Doesn't seem like a fit.
- Godseekers are supposed to fill out their battleline with seeker chariots so they can generate depravity with retreat and charge, not hellstriders. So even though you would assume this would be the best fit, in actuality it is likely the worst.

Ironically it seems that Invaders is actually the best fit for hellstriders. Hellstriders can reach the enemy territory faster than daemonettes can if needed, and other than a battalion you may not take anyway, there is no inherent penalty for them (Pretenders) or superfluous overlap (Godseekers). What do you guys think? Any other perspectives?

Edited by JackOfBlades

And I've already searched through this thread for discussion on fiends, but I still want to ask: What is the point of this unit supposed to be?

For example you could include a keeper instead that will actually generate depravity points, doesn't have the -1 to enemy wizards' casting aura but instead does unbind and cast two spells a turn including the excellent Song of Secrets and Progeny of Damnation spells and the realm spells, isn't exactly a slouch with its own damage output, has a 4+ save to the fiends' 5+ which somewhat makes up for the fiends' defensive bonuses (saying that, the fiends' defense bonuses are very good against units that want to roll 6+ to hit or wound in melee). On top of that the keeper costs 60 points less than the unit size for the fiends' bonus which could be the difference between being able to include something else or not. And both fiends and keepers are expensive non-battleline units, so you could say they are competing for points and thus the comparison is valid, it's not like you can slap in as many of both as you want.

I would want to include them, but it seems very hard to justify because of their anti-synergistic role with the rest of the army, being built for exactly what you don't want a non-HERO unit like them to be doing. Does this unit need to be fixed in an update? or is there a role for them that I'm missing to see, as I desperately want the case to be? (perhaps it's the "good against units that want to roll 6+ in melee" thing? anything!)

Edited by JackOfBlades

11 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

And I've already searched through this thread for discussion on fiends, but I still want to ask: What is the point of this unit supposed to be?

For example you could include a keeper instead that will actually generate depravity points, doesn't have the -1 to enemy wizards' casting aura but instead does unbind and cast two spells a turn including the excellent Song of Secrets and Progeny of Damnation spells and the realm spells, isn't exactly a slouch with its own damage output, has a 4+ save to the fiends' 5+ which somewhat makes up for the fiends' defensive bonuses (saying that, the fiends' defense bonuses are very good against units that want to roll 6+ to hit or wound in melee). On top of that the keeper costs 60 points less than the unit size for the fiends' bonus which could be the difference between being able to include something else or not. And both fiends and keepers are expensive non-battleline units, so you could say they are competing for points and thus the comparison is valid, it's not like you can slap in as many of both as you want.

I would want to include them, but it seems very hard to justify because of their anti-synergistic role with the rest of the army, being built for exactly what you don't want a non-HERO unit like them to be doing. Does this unit need to be fixed in an update? or is there a role for them that I'm missing to see, as I desperately want the case to be? (perhaps it's the "good against units that want to roll 6+ in melee" thing? anything!)

So far, I, like you, struggle to fit them into a list. I really think the biggest fail is that they aren't even fitted into a single battalion (other than the W&R one).

I can't even justify summoning them in, as there are better choices there, too. It's a shame. I REALLY want to put them out there......

3 hours ago, Tasman said:

So far, I, like you, struggle to fit them into a list. I really think the biggest fail is that they aren't even fitted into a single battalion (other than the W&R one).

I can't even justify summoning them in, as there are better choices there, too. It's a shame. I REALLY want to put them out there......

They can be included with Epicurean Revelers, but it doesn't actually do anything for them. Only Daemonette keyword units.

The only way I could see to use them is in a major anti-caster skew build, alongside a couple of epitomes, enrapturesses, and maybe an allied curseling.

Something like:

Keeper

Epitome

Epitome

Enrapturess

Enrapturess

Hellstriders x5

Hellstriders x5

Hellstriders x5

Fiends x3

Fiends x3

Allies:

Curseling

Spells:

Mesmerizing Mirror

17 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

Looking at Slaanesh and I am taking a fancy to hellstriders, but while going over the Hosts options it struck me that even though they are technically battleline, no host really seems like a fit for them.

- Invaders are supposed to be based on Epicurean Revellers, not Seeker Cavalcades, even though you aren't penalized for not adhering to this.
- Pretenders' battle brait only applies to units with 10 or more models, which means your army effectively won't have it unless you take units of 15+ hellstriders. Those units may not necessarily be bad in themselves, but you are put into a straitjacket in terms of spending points that will heavily alter what you could include in the rest of your list. Doesn't seem like a fit.
- Godseekers are supposed to fill out their battleline with seeker chariots so they can generate depravity with retreat and charge, not hellstriders. So even though you would assume this would be the best fit, in actuality it is likely the worst.

Ironically it seems that Invaders is actually the best fit for hellstriders. Hellstriders can reach the enemy territory faster than daemonettes can if needed, and other than a battalion you may not take anyway, there is no inherent penalty for them (Pretenders) or superfluous overlap (Godseekers). What do you guys think? Any other perspectives?

I actually utilize hellstriders quite a bit in my godseekers lists. Regular seeker chariots just have a difficult time justifying their points, as they're more points than hellstriders and the amount of depravity you get for having multiple chargers just isn't actually enough to build around. I'd much rather spend those spare points towards another keeper.

It's also worth noting that ironically the seeker cavalcade battalion that's "supposed" to be good for godseekers actually allows units to bypass charging to pile in from 6", which is kind of anti-synergistic.

Overall hellstriders' role is to be cheap battleline that's durable enough to hold objectives. That's something that fits any of the hosts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, TheGrayKing said:

Hello all, I'm taking the jump to Chaos with Slaanesh and I'm planning on running a Godseekers Host army, what would be a good build for Godseekers?

Are you running normal Godseekers, or Scarlet Cavalcade Godseekers from Wrath of the Everchosen?

Also, do you prefer using beasts of chaos (depraved drove battalion is required for the Slaanesh keyword), daemons, or mortals? All three can work on their own, but generally you're going to be most optimal with a force that's primarily daemons with some mortal units.

Due to the way depravity generation works you're going to want a lot of heroes. I try to run 6 when I can, but usually not less than 4. Some people go as low as 3 that I've seen, but since you need a hero alive on the board for summoning that's a risky choice.

Some must-pick choices:

1-3 Keepers. At least one is a must- have for the command ability. They're great sources of depravity and do a lot of work. Also the only reliable source of locus after the nerf. You might not field three to start, but having the model for a third is useful when you get the ball rolling on depravity.

1 Contorted Epitome. Our best caster. Rerolls to cast and dispel, great for handing out "strikes last" debuffs and has a useful unique spell.

Useful choices that largely depend on playstyle:

1-2 Bladebringers on exalted chariot. These do a lot of work and don't degrade in effectiveness as they take damage. Good unique spell that can be cast multiple times in a turn.

1-3 units of 5 hellstriders with clawspears (cheap, fast and sturdyish  battleline)

1-2 units of 40 marauders with axe & shield. Charge a minimum of 9" in Godseekers, and put out a tremendous number of attacks. They lose their rend once they're less than 20 models and die to harsh language,  so get them in combat ASAP. Also battleline.

1 Sorceror Lord on Manticore. Excellent unique spell, good support for Slaanesh slaves to darkness units.

1-2 Infernal Enrapturesses. Helpful for sniping out support characters, especially if your opponent is running heavy on magic-hate. Really fragile, however.

30-60 daemonettes. Either field them in big mobs, or summon as needed to flood objectives with weight of numbers at crucial times.

5-15 seekers. Fastest cavalry in the game, decently killy for taking out backline shooting or support threats. Very fragile. Good choice for summoning.

The Masque. Surprisingly resilient, and decently killy. Makes for a good designated survivor for summoning purposes.

Generally our choices are strong, but I would avoid fiends for now. I would also keep in mind that the general's handbook will be out in a month or two (though COVID-19 might delay that), and so our point costs may change significantly enough that these choices will be better or worse.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

Are you running normal Godseekers, or Scarlet Cavalcade Godseekers from Wrath of the Everchosen?

Also, do you prefer using beasts of chaos (depraved drove battalion is required for the Slaanesh keyword), daemons, or mortals? All three can work on their own, but generally you're going to be most optimal with a force that's primarily daemons with some mortal units.

Due to the way depravity generation works you're going to want a lot of heroes. I try to run 6 when I can, but usually not less than 4. Some people go as low as 3 that I've seen, but since you need a hero alive on the board for summoning that's a risky choice.

Some must-pick choices:

1-3 Keepers. At least one is a must- have for the command ability. They're great sources of depravity and do a lot of work. Also the only reliable source of locus after the nerf. You might not field three to start, but having the model for a third is useful when you get the ball rolling on depravity.

1 Contorted Epitome. Our best caster. Rerolls to cast and dispel, great for handing out "strikes last" debuffs and has a useful unique spell.

Useful choices that largely depend on playstyle:

1-2 Bladebringers on exalted chariot. These do a lot of work and don't degrade in effectiveness as they take damage. Good unique spell that can be cast multiple times in a turn.

1-3 units of 5 hellstriders with clawspears (cheap, fast and sturdyish  battleline)

1-2 units of 40 marauders with axe & shield. Charge a minimum of 9" in Godseekers, and put out a tremendous number of attacks. They lose their rend once they're less than 20 models and die to harsh language,  so get them in combat ASAP. Also battleline.

1 Sorceror Lord on Manticore. Excellent unique spell, good support for Slaanesh slaves to darkness units.

1-2 Infernal Enrapturesses. Helpful for sniping out support characters, especially if your opponent is running heavy on magic-hate. Really fragile, however.

30-60 daemonettes. Either field them in big mobs, or summon as needed to flood objectives with weight of numbers at crucial times.

5-15 seekers. Fastest cavalry in the game, decently killy for taking out backline shooting or support threats. Very fragile. Good choice for summoning.

The Masque. Surprisingly resilient, and decently killy. Makes for a good designated survivor for summoning purposes.

Generally our choices are strong, but I would avoid fiends for now. I would also keep in mind that the general's handbook will be out in a month or two (though COVID-19 might delay that), and so our point costs may change significantly enough that these choices will be better or worse.

Thanks for the extensive reply, I was planning normal Godseekers with a list looking something like this.

Keeper of Secrets - General

Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot

Infernal Enrapturess

The Contorted Epitome

Seeker Cavalcade Battalion:

3 Seeker Chariots (Battleline)

2 10x Seekers.

40x Daemonnetes for summoning and some other heroes.

Part of the reason I'm planning it this way is because I was planning on buying 4 Start Collecting boxes because they seem to have some great value.

2 minutes ago, TheGrayKing said:

Thanks for the extensive reply, I was planning normal Godseekers with a list looking something like this.

Keeper of Secrets - General

Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot

Infernal Enrapturess

The Contorted Epitome

Seeker Cavalcade Battalion:

3 Seeker Chariots (Battleline)

2 10x Seekers.

40x Daemonnetes for summoning and some other heroes.

Part of the reason I'm planning it this way is because I was planning on buying 4 Start Collecting boxes because they seem to have some great value.

I haven't done much with regular seeker chariots, so I can't comment on their effectiveness, but the ability to retreat and charge is great, especially with the mortal wounds and the extra little bit of depravity from that many charging Godseeker units. I've been considering picking some up myself, if only for the days I don't want to deal with high model counts on the board.

3 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

I haven't done much with regular seeker chariots, so I can't comment on their effectiveness, but the ability to retreat and charge is great, especially with the mortal wounds and the extra little bit of depravity from that many charging Godseeker units. I've been considering picking some up myself, if only for the days I don't want to deal with high model counts on the board.

The low model count starting on the board seems really nice and being able to consistently charge with the Chariots sounds good in theory. I'm not trying to build the most competitive Slaanesh army because my local meta isn't super competitive, the most competitive army in my meta is a guy who built Gristlegore FEC because he thought it looked like a ton of fun.

So how do you think my army idea would do in a meta consisting of Khorne (both mortals and daemons from 2 separate players), Stormcast, Nurgle, CoS, FEC, Spuig GSG, Seraphon, Nighthaunt and potentially Idoneth Deepkin?

7 hours ago, TheGrayKing said:

The low model count starting on the board seems really nice and being able to consistently charge with the Chariots sounds good in theory. I'm not trying to build the most competitive Slaanesh army because my local meta isn't super competitive, the most competitive army in my meta is a guy who built Gristlegore FEC because he thought it looked like a ton of fun.

So how do you think my army idea would do in a meta consisting of Khorne (both mortals and daemons from 2 separate players), Stormcast, Nurgle, CoS, FEC, Spuig GSG, Seraphon, Nighthaunt and potentially Idoneth Deepkin?

My meta has been lacking in some of those, so I can't speak from experience with all of them, but you should be able to keep up with most of those. Most of those crumble if you kick out their support pieces, which shouldn't be terribly difficult. Godseekers from aqshy can have two flying keepers, or in your case a flying keeper and bladebringer, which can do some work.

What may give you problems potentially is CoS, but their effectiveness varies tremendously depending on which city it is, and how much shooting they bring. Also maybe seraphon? I didn't have the opportunity to play them before everything shut down, but just like with CoS having strong casting, teleportation and good shooting gives us issues.

7 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

My meta has been lacking in some of those, so I can't speak from experience with all of them, but you should be able to keep up with most of those. Most of those crumble if you kick out their support pieces, which shouldn't be terribly difficult. Godseekers from aqshy can have two flying keepers, or in your case a flying keeper and bladebringer, which can do some work.

What may give you problems potentially is CoS, but their effectiveness varies tremendously depending on which city it is, and how much shooting they bring. Also maybe seraphon? I didn't have the opportunity to play them before everything shut down, but just like with CoS having strong casting, teleportation and good shooting gives us issues.

Again thanks a lot for the information. I don't know how often the Seraphon will show up as the guy who has the army primarily plays 40k and I haven't seen him play AOS since I've been playing. The CoS from what I saw was dwarfs with gyrocopters and steam tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, backslide said:

Seeker chariots I have 4 can I make them useful?

There's basically 4 things I could see you using those for:

1. Summoning. Seeker chariots are really points efficient for summoning and can do enough work that they're not a terrible option to have in your toolkit.

2. Run 3 x 1 for battleline in a godseekers list. You could use the last one as a bladebringer to put them all in one list.

3. Run them all as bladebringers. Offensively they're not as efficient as a BB on exalted chariot, however on a wounds per point defensive level they're actually more efficient. This opens up potential combos like running them in a Syll'Esskan host, lining them up within 12" of Syll'Esske and throwing a wheels of excruciation across them. That's an average of three wounds dealt to each, doubled to 24 depravity on turn 1. The wheels literally cannot kill them outright, and regardless of how many wounds they take they don't diminish in effectiveness. Could definitely be a thing.

4. Run them in a Legion of Chaos Ascendant list. Since they have the daemonette keyword Belakor can bring back whole-model casualties.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to start. I'd be happy to hear how any of those work out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

4. Run them in a Legion of Chaos Ascendant list. Since they have the daemonette keyword Belakor can bring back whole-model casualties.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to start. I'd be happy to hear how any of those work out.

I'll take number 4 thanks 😀 can even put them in the battlion so they always get +1 to wound

• Thanks 1