AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

Here's a rough draft of the mounted LoP. I would tentatively point it at 240 points. I did not give it a native 3+ save as I feel that would be a bridge too far considering the other abilities, especially the built-in ward that is thematically necessary for a Lord of Pain. I also did not give it a command ability as GW seems to be phasing out the idea of command abilities on warscrolls as we've seen with the new tomes, instead opting for the pseudo-command buffs that we've seen more of. I tried to stick closely to paradigms that we have already seen as core to the Slaanesh identity, and a buff that provides something that already exists in the game but is not currently a granted ability. I used the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak as a rough skeleton to base this on, bearing in mind that rend is trending upwards in recent releases (though I tried not to go overboard).

image.png.6cdac90824c84c61fcea0e8d8e5d151b.png

Edited by CeleFAZE
modified the ability to not be usable on the Lord of Pain itself. I intended it to be a buffing unit and if it could self target it would just end up being run by itself to become a mortal wounding cruise missle.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CeleFAZE said:

Here's a rough draft of the mounted LoP. I would tentatively point it at 240 points. I did not give it a native 3+ save as I feel that would be a bridge too far considering the other abilities, especially the built-in ward that is thematically necessary for a Lord of Pain. I also did not give it a command ability as GW seems to be phasing out the idea of command abilities on warscrolls as we've seen with the new tomes, instead opting for the pseudo-command buffs that we've seen more of. I tried to stick closely to paradigms that we have already seen as core to the Slaanesh identity, and a buff that provides something that already exists in the game but is not currently a granted ability. I used the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak as a rough skeleton to base this on, bearing in mind that rend is trending upwards in recent releases (though I tried not to go overboard).

image.png.6cdac90824c84c61fcea0e8d8e5d151b.png

From a fluff perspective, where is the "First Among Seekers" ability coming from? Extremely powerful, average 7 MWs on whatever they charge! 

• Like 1

I would love to see the twins get to give a shenanigan or two to nearby friends, like Dexxie giving out her +1 attack next turn ability or Synnie giving euphoric killers or MW or something on 6s to hit with ranged weapons. Those buffs might be strong enough to be 1/battle; maybe with one extra use if you bring both

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LeonBox said:

From a fluff perspective, where is the "First Among Seekers" ability coming from? Extremely powerful, average 7 MWs on whatever they charge! 

I derived it from the background in the Paragon of Depravity command ability from the foot version, where mortal followers of Slaanesh are inspired by the Lords of Pain to push themselves further to emulate their example. I felt that seekers would strive to charge more recklessly into enemy lines for the same reasons. It would make the most sense to restrict it to mortal seekers and hellstriders, but mechanically I felt it was also something that should benefit daemonic seekers too.

For the background of the mounted lord I was thinking back to the stories of how one has to pass through 6 different temptations to reach the palace of Slaanesh. Lords of Pain are so dulled to sensation that for the strongest among them the only thrill left is to seek out the throne of their missing god and take in some lingering essence that remains. What they find is the exalted seeker wyrms, writhing in mourning, desperately tasting the air for any trace of their absent master's affection.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Selpharia said:

I would love to see the twins get to give a shenanigan or two to nearby friends, like Dexxie giving out her +1 attack next turn ability or Synnie giving euphoric killers or MW or something on 6s to hit with ranged weapons. Those buffs might be strong enough to be 1/battle; maybe with one extra use if you bring both

Agreed, we do seem to have a dearth of passive buffs from heroes to rank and file in our army, compared to some other armies that boast a tonne of synergies (Skaven springs to mind). 

10 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

I derived it from the background in the Paragon of Depravity command ability from the foot version, where mortal followers of Slaanesh are inspired by the Lords of Pain to push themselves further to emulate their example. I felt that seekers would strive to charge more recklessly into enemy lines for the same reasons. It would make the most sense to restrict it to mortal seekers and hellstriders, but mechanically I felt it was also something that should benefit daemonic seekers too.

In that case, I think the recklessness should be reflected in the mechanics; perhaps if either charge roll die is an unmodified roll of 1, the charging unit suffers D3 mortal wounds? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeonBox said:

In that case, I think the recklessness should be reflected in the mechanics; perhaps if either charge roll die is an unmodified roll of 1, the charging unit suffers D3 mortal wounds? 

That's a part of the current Slaanesh design philosophy I'd prefer to move away from, the abilities that are "win some, lose big" or "play a separate minigame to unlock what should be baseline". The risk is built in to the ability being linked to a hero that it will be points-restrictive to run multiples of, and only benefits one unit with an ability that's baseline on the stormcast chariots and annihilators. I plan to add an element of "win big lose big" with rules for combat elixirs for the mortal hedonites, that will allow multiple buffs to be stacked with a detrimental risk associated. I always felt that should've been something we had once the new mortals were unveiled with all those potion bottles on their belts. So as to not clutter the main thread with homebrew shenanigans, I'll start a new thread for brainstorming:

Hi all, I'm playing against a good Slaves to Darkness player in a league in the next few weeks. It is not an army I've played against before and I suspect archaeon will be there.

I plan on bringing be'lakor and glutos for a 2-drop using battle regiment. This way I aim at going first and dark mastering Archie on his first turn.

Do you have any cues for me in terms of list building and strategy for this matchup?

Is Lurid hazing Sigvald worth it in your opinion?

Any help will be appreciated, and I will try to take a few pics and do a little battle report.

Edited by webert1

This is what I plan to run. Ideally I would summon a keeper on turn 2 (with archers and sigvald deep strike generating depravity on turn 1) but I feel like I might be too optimistic.

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2021** 2,000 (Chaos - Slaanesh) [1,985pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Battle Regiment

+ Leader +

Be'lakor [360pts]

Glutos Orscollion [475pts]: 3. Dark Delusions, Battle Regiment - 1 Commander, General

Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh [265pts]: Battle Regiment - 0-2 Sub-Commander, General

+ Battleline +

Blissbarb Archers [180pts]: 11 Blissbarb Archers, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, High Tempter

Blissbarb Archers [180pts]: 11 Blissbarb Archers, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, High Tempter

Hellstriders with Hellscourges [135pts]: 5 Hellstriders, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Hellreaver, Hellstrider Banner Bearer, Hellstrider Icon Bearer, Hornblower

+ Other +

[b]Myrmidesh Painbringers [160pts]: 5 Myrmidesh Painbringers, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Painmaster

Slickblade Seekers [230pts]: 5 Slickblade Seekers, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Hunter-Seeker

[b]+ Scenery +[/b]

Fane of Slaanesh

+ Allegiance +

[b]Allegiance[/b]
. Allegiance: Slaanesh
. . Invaders Host: Lurid Haze

+ Game Options +

Game Type:2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

++ Total: [1,985pts] ++

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by webert1

On 9/19/2021 at 4:20 AM, webert1 said:

*snip*

I do like your list, and I think Belekor is the best shot against Archaon (besides another Archaon!). Your best bet would be, if possible, kill the sorcerer lord ASAP. If Archaon can be denied rerolling hits and wounds, as well as a free +1 to save, you'll have a much higher chance. Lurid Haze may be the best option to assassinate, but it really depends where they place the sorcerer. 

Other than that, just place as much chaff in the way as possible for Archaon until you've used your other models to kill his stuff, then try finish off Archaon. 

It'll be a tough fight, but very winnable :) Just kill anything that buffs Archaon ASAP. 

• Like 2

Anyone else excited for Bladeborn? Looks like we can essentially use the Dread Pagent in WarCry-lite. I see no reason why we can’t pit them against existing WarCry bands as the cards look identical in style to me. $50 Barnes and Noble pickup. Day-one purchase for me. Let’s me use a Sphyrinx, Spire Tyrants, Untamed Beasts, Dread Pagent, Eyes of 9, Garrek’s Reavers, krugah’s Ravagers, Godsworn Hunt and Ghasrak’s all in a tiny standalone game. Super exited. 

Hello friends! I have two questions, help me please:

1) Soporific Musk ability - it says that, while this unit has 4 or more models, subtract 1 from wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons that target this unit. Its means if fiends unit have 4 or more models it will have this bonus or if enemy unit that target fiend unit has 4 or more models, fiend will have this bonus?

2) The beguiling gem artefact of invaders host- if we use this artefact on Scarband's Carnage weapon profile,  Scarband is unable to use this weapon, because the amount of attacks become 0 ?

On 9/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, CeleFAZE said:

Something like:

Vainglorious host:

Sadistic Strikes: Attacks by friendly Slaanesh units that roll an unmodified 6 to wound gain an additional -1 rend.

Mirror Guard: Myrmadesh Painbringers and Symbaresh Twinsouls may be selected to pile-in within 6" of enemy units and may pile-in an additional 3" in the combat phase

Exemplar of Excess: Sigvald may be your general in addition to your chosen general.

Martial Depravity: At the end of your battleshock phase you gain d3 depravity points if any enemy models were slain by attacks from friendly Slaanesh models during the preceding combat phase. In addition, instead of summoning a unit in your turn, you may spend 6 depravity points in your hero phase to provide up to d3 friendly Slaanesh units one of the following bonuses until your next hero phase (different units may select different bonuses): +1 attack to all weapons, +1 to wound, or +1 to save

Debauched Host:

Masochistic Glee: During your hero phase any number of friendly Slaanesh units may take d3 mortal wounds. If they take damage in this way this unit may select one of the following bonuses until the beginning of your next hero phase: +1 to charge rolls for every mortal wound received, immunity to battleshock, or +1 to casting and unbinding rolls for every mortal wound received.

Pleasure from Pain: Slaanesh units in your army have a 6+ ward.

Lord of Debauchery: Glutos Orscollion may be your general in addition to your chosen general.

Gorge on Depravity: At the end of your battleshock phase gain d3 depravity points if any of your units received wounds that were not negated this player turn. In addition instead of summoning a unit this turn you may spend 6 depravity points in your hero phase and select d3 units, you may heal these units for d3 damage, or if no wounds have been suffered by these units your may return slain models to these units with a combined wounds characteristic of up to d3. You may select the same unit multiple times.

Prodigal Host:

Dance of Death: Slaanesh daemon units in your army may retreat and charge in the same turn. In addition Slaanesh daemon units in your army do not need to pile-in towards the closest enemy unit when they make a pile-in move.

Grandiose Entrance: Slaanesh daemon units in your army may be set up in reserve in the realm of chaos instead of set up on the board during deployment. You may set up one unit in the realm of chaos for every unit that starts on the board. At the end of any of your movement phases you may set up a unit from reserve anywhere on the table outside of 9" of an enemy models. Any units set up this way may change the lowest die rolled for any charge rolls made that turn to a 6. Any units not set up by the 4th battle round are considered slain.

Progeny of the Divine: Dexcessa and/or Synessa may be your generals in addition to your chosen general

Avatars of Depravity: Gain d3+1 depravity points at the end of your battleshock phase. When summoning a unit using the Feast of Depravities allegiance ability, if you choose to set up the unit within 12" of either Dexcessa, Synessa, or a Keeper of Secrets you may deduct 3 from the depravity point cost of the summoned unit.

Damn mate, this is so cool to read. I really want this factions and rules in Hedonite book 😅 If only someone could send this to GW... It will be really nice. I really like the idea that we can also spend DP for buffing units, not just for summoning, and I really like those variants of hosts

Edited by AronQ_

1 hour ago, AronQ_ said:

Hello friends! I have two questions, help me please:

1) Soporific Musk ability - it says that, while this unit has 4 or more models, subtract 1 from wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons that target this unit. Its means if fiends unit have 4 or more models it will have this bonus or if enemy unit that target fiend unit has 4 or more models, fiend will have this bonus?

2) The beguiling gem artefact of invaders host- if we use this artefact on Scarband's Carnage weapon profile,  Scarband is unable to use this weapon, because the amount of attacks become 0 ?

Dunno about the second one, but for the first one, it's based on how many models are in the Fiends' unit; if you have 4+ Fiends in the unit, enemy units are -1 to-wound them with melee attacks. This is why you often see Fiends taken in units of 6 to keep that bonus up (as a unit of 3 wouldn't have it.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AronQ_ said:

Correct. Beguiling Gem specifically states it can reduce melee attacks to 0. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeonBox said:

Correct. Beguiling Gem specifically states it can reduce melee attacks to 0. 

Wow, this is so cool, we can really debuff Scarband, because this gem can  disable his ability "Total Carnage"which can potentially give 16 mortal wounds!

4 minutes ago, AronQ_ said:

Wow, this is so cool, we can really debuff Scarband, because this gem can  disable his ability "Total Carnage"which can potentially give 16 mortal wounds!

I imagine Skarbrand is Bravery 10, though, so there's a chance he won't be affected. 

Yep Skarby is Bravery 10, and speaking very honestly, I would not want to have my plan for dealing with Skarbrand hinge on rolling an 11+ on 3D6, as that's a real recipe for getting your face mauled. Worse, he's usually got a Bloodsecrator nearby giving him +1 attack anyway.

My expert advice? Don't try to Beguile Skarbrand. Kill him. Kill him dead. Or feed him chaff. Either is good. Or both. Both is better (I hear Slaanesh likes both.) 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:23 PM, AronQ_ said:

Beyond the issue of his high bravery, Khorne has multiple sources of +attacks, meaning you may only end up reducing it down to 1 or 2 attacks, rather than 0. Far better to keep him bogged down with chaff as others have suggested, as we have a tough time doing enough damage in one go that we don't just make him angrier.

• Like 1