AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

9 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

2 Solar Engines should kill 11.67 daemonettes per round of shooting on average. If your opponent was regularly killing 30 in one go then he got very, very lucky.

With all hits and wounds being rerollable? 3 damage a piece due ro Chaos.

15 hours ago, Kasper said:

How do you guys deal with Seraphon? I have loads of issues with this matchup. He runs 1 Engine of the Gods, 2 Bastilladons, 1 bearer and 4 Razordons, Slaan and then screens of Skinks. He also used Shackles to lock down units while they got pinned and shot off the table.

I ran with 1 Keeper, 2 Exalted Chariots, 1 Epitome, then 2x 30 Daemonettes and 1x 20 Daemonettes.

I can't ever get to the Slaan and the Bearer, they just chill all game. It didn't help he got 2 arcane terrains right next to each other. Each round of shooting the Bastilladons wipe out 1 unit of 30 Daemonettes quite easily. 4 Razordons took out my Keeper in 1 round too etc.

I think I approach the matchup all wrong, but I have always had issues with this list and can't ever break the wall. It's especially bad when he gets a double turn with the 2 Bastilladons. 

If you dont want to use outside hordes. I would suggest giving units fly to get to the back line units. They tend to have low body count screens.  Though not perfect it does counter it to a degree.

11 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

No, you are correct. I was just going by the baseline stats. With rerolls to hit and wound they will kill 23 daemonettes on average. With rerolls to wound only it's 15.5 and 17.5 with hit only.

Sure, I'm not suggesting that two Bastiladons can't kill 30 Daemonettes in one go. They clearly can. 

I see a lot of posts (not just here, but in every Warhammer group that I've visited) that take the form of "X opponent totally stomped me, how can I possibly beat this list?" and more often than not when the person actually described what happened in the game it's clear that their opponent rolled really well.

It's foolish to generalize from "I lost this game in a dramatic fashion" to "I can't ever beat this list" in pretty much any situation, but it's particularly foolish if you already have clear evidence that the results of that one game are driven at least in significant part by luck.

@Kasper  -- back to the original question of how to beat that list. I agree with others here insofar as a list like this is going to be a difficult matchup for most Slaanesh armies simply because the Bastiladon shooting is very good against our daemons, and we are very daemon focused and we lack ranged to clear out those screens or pick off the key support units. There are a couple of things that this Seraphon list is weak to. Let's look at how it functions. The base list you described has 1700 points tied up in the Slann Starmaster, Astrolith Bearer, 2 Bastiladon, 4 Razordons, 1 unit of Skink Handlers, the Engine of the Gods, and 3x10 skinks. There might be more skinks than that, of course, but there isn't much room in the list for anything else major.

• All of the offensive punch is tied up in the shooting, and that shooting really needs to stay close to both the EoTG and the Astrolith Bearer. Without the rerolls to hit and wound the list just doesn't do enough damage to be a serious threat. The Razordons also only have a short range of 12" and the EoTG range is not that icnredible at 20". 
  • The list is 6 drops at an absolute minimum, meaning you should be able to get the choice of first turn. 
  • Basically everything in the list is defensively inefficient except the Skinks. Bastiladons are OK against regular damage if they get the reroll save buff. Otherwise their defensive efficiency is horrible. The EoTG is OK with rerolls to save but horrible without.
  • Combatwise, the list is most vulnerable on the first turn if you are going first. If you can make a legitimate alpha strike, you can get one turn of combat in before they get to enable their reroll saves. 
  • Aside from that, the list is very vulnerable to any opponent that is prepared to play the objectives. They have to keep the vast majority of their resources in the same place, and their offensive output is not very impressive. Therefore if you can get to the objectives and have enough defensive efficiency they can't really hope to win. Even if you let their Slann summon all game long they won't amass enough to dislodge you until the late game and by then you will be too far ahead. 

Given this analysis, I think you can make the matchup favorable in two ways. One is to go for a full on horde approach and just put as many bodies as you can on the board. Non daemons are preferable, but even daemons are fine if you put enough of them on the board. 

The other (and imo better) approach is to focus on a Depraved Drove list. For one, this is probably the best way to flood the board win non-daemons. Marauders and Hellstriders are nice, but they can't compete with Ungors, Bestigors, Centigors, Bullgors etc.

You also get a very legitimate shot at presenting a serious T1 threat. Ungor Raiders can get into range very easily and clear out the Skink screens, giving a big unit of Bullgors or Bestigors the chance to take a boat ride courtesy of Lauchon. The 12" boat plus a 6" move and run+charge should be plenty to get a T1 charge off unless your opponent deploys way back in a corner. If they do that, they are basically conceding anyway as you can take over the board instead of alpha-striking and they will never deal damage quickly enough to dislodge you in time. Depending on what you get access to, 30 charging Bestigors has a very good chance of killing 2 out of the 3 behemoths on turn 1, which will be game over. Even if you only kill one of them it's probably game-over, especially if it's the EoTG.

Thanks a lot for the in-depth writeup. :) When I say Bastilladons wipe out 30 Daemonettes, it's probably more likely around the 20-25 mark. But honestly there isn't much of difference between him clearing a unit or you losing 25, since the last will run to battleshock. With how important CPs are, it feels kinda ass to "waste" a CP on 5-7 Daemonettes. I swear I haven't ever rolled a 1 on the battleshock with my Daemonettes..

I feel like the result is the same every time I play that army, and as you said yourself, killing around 25 is about average, so I can kind of count on that happening each shooting phase. I don't think Seraphon players bring a similiar army and doesn't go for the Thunderquake batallion? I haven't played one at least without it. Being able to reroll everything is honestly just insane vs. chaos daemons. I spend the first turn or two chewing through Skinks, and eventually he gets a double turn where the Bastilladons clean up so much.

Having no proper magic or ranged attack to pick off key characters feels like a huge disadvantage against that specific army/list. I guess I could experiment with spell portals and more endless spells. Also, looking back, not giving my KoS thermal cloak was a big mistake and really limited my threat/summoning range for some ambush potential. As mentioned there was also a huge amount of terrain, which really funneled my army. We played shifting objectives, and he managed to have a real good location where his Bastilladons could hit units attempting to cap either of the bottom/middle ones.

I'm abit stubborn and don't really want to rely on Depraved Drove. I'm OK with it simply being a super uphill battle with "pure" Slaanesh units, I just wanted to know if I was missing something super obvious, or if it was a kinda difficult matchup. Everyone on the forums just makes it sound so easy. Push forward and generate 100s of DP, where as that isn't my experience at all fighting similiar lists as the Seraphon stuff and other armies spamming 1 W models.

45 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Thanks a lot for the in-depth writeup. :) When I say Bastilladons wipe out 30 Daemonettes, it's probably more likely around the 20-25 mark. But honestly there isn't much of difference between him clearing a unit or you losing 25, since the last will run to battleshock. With how important CPs are, it feels kinda ass to "waste" a CP on 5-7 Daemonettes. I swear I haven't ever rolled a 1 on the battleshock with my Daemonettes..

I feel like the result is the same every time I play that army, and as you said yourself, killing around 25 is about average, so I can kind of count on that happening each shooting phase. I don't think Seraphon players bring a similiar army and doesn't go for the Thunderquake batallion? I haven't played one at least without it. Being able to reroll everything is honestly just insane vs. chaos daemons. I spend the first turn or two chewing through Skinks, and eventually he gets a double turn where the Bastilladons clean up so much.

Having no proper magic or ranged attack to pick off key characters feels like a huge disadvantage against that specific army/list. I guess I could experiment with spell portals and more endless spells. Also, looking back, not giving my KoS thermal cloak was a big mistake and really limited my threat/summoning range for some ambush potential. As mentioned there was also a huge amount of terrain, which really funneled my army. We played shifting objectives, and he managed to have a real good location where his Bastilladons could hit units attempting to cap either of the bottom/middle ones.

I'm abit stubborn and don't really want to rely on Depraved Drove. I'm OK with it simply being a super uphill battle with "pure" Slaanesh units, I just wanted to know if I was missing something super obvious, or if it was a kinda difficult matchup. Everyone on the forums just makes it sound so easy. Push forward and generate 100s of DP, where as that isn't my experience at all fighting similiar lists as the Seraphon stuff and other armies spamming 1 W models.

I think switching to helstriders (over Daemonettes) will help lots.  40 of them are going to be more survivable than your 80 Deamonettes, a bit cheaper, much faster and harder hitting.  Also, they aren't daemons, so don't get as ruined as easily by the Basilidons and are effective in smaller units so don't suffer as much from battleshock.

With lots of casters and generally only ok spells, endless spells are also potentially invaluable.  For only 30 points a well placed Prismatic Palisade can really mess is any opponent attempting to castle up and hurt you from range.  Aethervoid pendulum is also great for shifting an opponent thats squished together. Germinds do a bit of both with some damage and the light one effects shooting, making the Basillidons only hit on 5+.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I think switching to helstriders (over Daemonettes) will help lots.  40 of them are going to be more survivable than your 80 Deamonettes, a bit cheaper, much faster and harder hitting.  Also, they aren't daemons, so don't get as ruined as easily by the Basilidons and are effective in smaller units so don't suffer as much from battleshock.

With lots of casters and generally only ok spells, endless spells are also potentially invaluable.  For only 30 points a well placed Prismatic Palisade can really mess is any opponent attempting to castle up and hurt you from range.  Aethervoid pendulum is also great for shifting an opponent thats squished together. Germinds do a bit of both with some damage and the light one effects shooting, making the Basillidons only hit on 5+.

Ooh good point here.  Dispelling endless spells also screws up their summoning by giving them less casts to change into points.

24 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

People have been talking about big blocks of seekers and hellstriders, how are they finding them? Also spears or whips, and anyone done any comparisons to centigor? Or marauder horsemen come to think of it.

I’ve been running a block of 20 Seekers alongside a Keeper of Secrets. The 20 Seekers fighting twice, with exploding 6s into 3 hits on the first set of attacks, tends to kill whatever needs to be killed, and their speed is insane - great both for getting off a turn 1 charge and for stealing objectives turns 3-5.

Centigors are more comparable to Hellstriders, the centigors force more saves on the charge but the Hellstriders are a LOT better on later turns after the first, so its a balancing act. And of course, the Hellstriders are battleline, which is nice. I think centigors are best as MSU 5 man squads for stealing objectives as cheap alternatives to Hellstriders or seekers, or I might consider using 20 of them - but I feel like if I’m using 20 centigors I’d rather use them in nurgle for blades of putrefaction, and if I want them for an alpha strike, I’d rather upgrade them to 20 Seekers for 160 points.

Hellstriders should always be with clawspears. Always.

Edited by CB42

On 6/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, Enoby said:

It's strange, daemonettes seem to have gone from close to overpowered to just okay without many actual rules changes.   

Totally agreed. What a weird joyfulness for hedonites 🙃

Soo, planing my first pure Hedonites list and thinking about something along the lines of this (2k, competative).

Keeper of Secrets (Sinistrous hand, Thermalrider Cloak)

Keeper of Secrets (Sinistrous hand, Ignax Scales)

Herald on Exaulted Chariot

Infernal Entrapturess

Seeker Cavalcade

5 Hellstriders with Claw-spears

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

2000 on the nose.

Makes for 5 drops with solid Alpha strike (20 seekers and Cloak Wearing Keeper), with 10 Hellstriders, Keeper number 2 and Chariot to follow turn two, while the Entraptress and one unit of Striders stay back to cap objectives and summon reinforcements.

6" activation combined with double activation should make a mockery of all but the deepest screens. Biggest weakness seems to be lack of durability (less than 100 wounds, eep) but I'm hoping speed, summoning and killing power will make up for this. 

One thing I can't decide on is Host. All have their advantages but I'm really Torn between Invaders (for command points) and Seekers (for a touch more speed). 

Any thoughts/advice.

41 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Soo, planing my first pure Hedonites list and thinking about something along the lines of this (2k, competative).

Infernal Entrapturess

Seeker Cavalcade

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

2000 on the nose.

Makes for 5 drops with solid Alpha strike (20 seekers and Cloak Wearing Keeper), with 10 Hellstriders, Keeper number 2 and Chariot to follow turn two, while the Entraptress and one unit of Striders stay back to cap objectives and summon reinforcements.

6" activation combined with double activation should make a mockery of all but the deepest screens. Biggest weakness seems to be lack of durability (less than 100 wounds, eep) but I'm hoping speed, summoning and killing power will make up for this. 

One thing I can't decide on is Host. All have their advantages but I'm really Torn between Invaders (for command points) and Seekers (for a touch more speed). 

Any thoughts/advice.

Being competitive, I prefer Sybarites to Cavalcade battalion. The battalion usually provides 2 CP/turn that is extremely useful.

Another note is the usefulness of epitome (my personal thought). IMO the locus is our strong point, and the second chance of locus given by the epitome was huge for me.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about a Depraved Drove list for a little while, and I'd like to know if you had any feedback / advice for me. 
I still need to figure out the details, but this would be the units I'd like to field.

Allegiance: Slaanesh

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand
Great Bray Shaman of Slaanesh (100)
The Contorted Epitome (200)
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)

Battleline
40 x Ungors of Slaanesh (200)
10 x Ungors of Slaanesh (60)

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
30 x Bestigors of Slaanesh (300)

Battalions
Depraved Drove (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Wildfire Taurus (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

5 minutes ago, Dr.E said:

Being competitive, I prefer Sybarites to Cavalcade battalion. The battalion usually provides 2 CP/turn that is extremely useful.

Another note is the usefulness of epitome (my personal thought). IMO the locus is our strong point, and the second chance of locus given by the epitome was huge for me.

Humm, extra CP are always good but how are you getting two a turn from Sybarite battalion? It only triggers once in your Hero phase, so surely max one per turn and even then with only 4 heros it's 66% chance at best with my list. Still worth considering by I want to see how much value I can get out of the Cavalcade for a few games before switching from it.

Epitome is definitely interesting but struggle with spending 200 points on a model with only 7 wounds, 5+ and meh damage output. I know you can spice it up with artefacts and it's great if you want to reliably cast Endless spells, but I'm not convinced it's be worth loosing the Herald on Exalted Chariot or 10 seekers for (in this list).

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Saiken said:

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about a Depraved Drove list for a little while, and I'd like to know if you had any feedback / advice for me. 
I still need to figure out the details, but this would be the units I'd like to field.

Allegiance: Slaanesh

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand
Great Bray Shaman of Slaanesh (100)
The Contorted Epitome (200)
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)

Battleline
40 x Ungors of Slaanesh (200)

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
30 x Bestigors of Slaanesh (300)

Battalions
Depraved Drove (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Wildfire Taurus (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

Personally I'd drop the Taurus and Warshrine for more warm bodies.

Warshine can't bless anything except itself (Beasts don't have the Mortal keyword) and doesn't seem worth it for just the 6++ aura.

Taurus just doesn't seem worth it when you already have Locus of distraction.

Those extra points could make the other two units of Ungors 40 strong, or add 2 *10 beast units of Bestigors and some cheaper endless spell fun.

22 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Humm, extra CP are always good but how are you getting two a turn from Sybarite battalion? It only triggers once in your Hero phase, so surely max one per turn and even then with only 4 heros it's 66% chance at best with my list. Still worth considering by I want to see how much value I can get out of the Cavalcade for a few games before switching from it.

Epitome is definitely interesting but struggle with spending 200 points on a model with only 7 wounds, 5+ and meh damage output. I know you can spice it up with artefacts and it's great if you want to reliably cast Endless spells, but I'm not convinced it's be worth loosing the Herald on Exalted Chariot or 10 seekers for (in this list).

1.  I meant the total CP/turn.

2. I give the frenzy spell to my epitome in general. The mirror works a lot when the spell hits hard. I know the Sword of Judgement build, but haven’t tried it yet.

But yeah, I agree that the epitome is not the always-to-go option ;)

Edited by Dr.E

4 hours ago, Dr.E said:

Totally agreed. What a weird joyfulness for hedonites 🙃

Same with fiends. I think it is a shame since the mechanics of the army pressure you to go for characters, so it would be a nice balance and a tough decision to have effective troops that want to compete for those points.

3 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Infernal Entrapturess

Seeker Cavalcade

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

2000 on the nose.

Any thoughts/advice.

I really like this list in certain matchups, upsettingly fast for your opponent to deal with if they are screening, it comes apart against a dedicated combat army that wants to fight a collection of chaff units.

Dont drop the seeker cavaclade, it is really good, using little units to mess with your opponent, prevent units from moving by tying up in combat, picking off fanatics etc.

A tempting option in my view would be to drop the enrapturess for a sybarites battalion to make you 2 drop, then drop 1 unit of 10 seekers to 5 and make 1 units of hellstriders 10 man and reduce the chariot to an epitome to give you cogs. The army gets faster, you always get to choose first or second turn and everything gets in turn 1. Less overall depravity but more CP if you take the cameo, burn it and get rerolls to hit so lots of things striking twice.

2 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

I really like this list in certain matchups, upsettingly fast for your opponent to deal with if they are screening, it comes apart against a dedicated combat army that wants to fight a collection of chaff units.

Dont drop the seeker cavaclade, it is really good, using little units to mess with your opponent, prevent units from moving by tying up in combat, picking off fanatics etc.

A tempting option in my view would be to drop the enrapturess for a sybarites battalion to make you 2 drop, then drop 1 unit of 10 seekers to 5 and make 1 units of hellstriders 10 man and reduce the chariot to an epitome to give you cogs. The army gets faster, you always get to choose first or second turn and everything gets in turn 1. Less overall depravity but more CP if you take the cameo, burn it and get rerolls to hit so lots of things striking twice.

Thanks for your thoughts, definitely worth considering.  I was trying to avoid an all or nothing Alpha strike, but the good options in the list really push you towards it.  More food for thought :)

2 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Personally I'd drop the Taurus and Warshrine for more warm bodies.

Warshine can't bless anything except itself (Beasts don't have the Mortal keyword) and doesn't seem worth it for just the 6++ aura.

Taurus just doesn't seem worth it when you already have Locus of distraction.

Those extra points could make the other two units of Ungors 40 strong, or add 2 *10 beast units of Bestigors and some cheaper endless spell fun.

Thanks for you feedback ! 
I definitely overlooked the "Mortal" Keyword on the Slaanesh-Marked Chaos Shine, my bad ! 
True also that Taurus might be overkill given the Locus of Distraction. I thought it could be great to chew through chaff for instance.

I guess Seekers could be interesting too if I make those cut. It could be 10 of them.

Hey all

I've about to kick start a Godseekers, Chariot heavy army and I'm beginning with 3 start collecting kits. And two extra chariot bases! I'm thinking of making one of each chariot with a herald, then 2 Seeker Chariots...

Any good?? or should I shimmy my chariot choices?

Also, am I right in thinking I can make two Seeker Chariots out of one Exalted Chariot kit?

So according to the bottom of the GHB preview article on warhammer community, there will be a pdf early july with points updates for hedonites of slaanesh... It is a little nerve-wracking at this point since the only data they have is a brief period of people losing to them who have never faced them before and havn't yet adapted. Its a recipe for a crippling over-reaction if they are not careful.

Personally I am biased, however I dont feel there are any characters who are undercosted. they are swingy with massive damage potential but glass cannons so I hope they dont get increases. Maybe an increase in depravity cost is better.

For troops, I would like to see seekers as battleline and fiends and damonettes return to their original pre-book cost. I think that will make list selection more challenging.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

So according to the bottom of the GHB preview article on warhammer community, there will be a pdf early july with points updates for hedonites of slaanesh... It is a little nerve-wracking at this point since the only data they have is a brief period of people losing to them who have never faced them before and havn't yet adapted. Its a recipe for a crippling over-reaction if they are not careful.

Personally I am biased, however I dont feel there are any characters who are undercosted. they are swingy with massive damage potential but glass cannons so I hope they dont get increases. Maybe an increase in depravity cost is better.

For troops, I would like to see seekers as battleline and fiends and damonettes return to their original pre-book cost. I think that will make list selection more challenging.

False alarm, they made a mistake and updated the article. removed hedonites and inserted gloomspite. We may be staying as is.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:13 AM, Satyrical Sophist said:

People have been talking about big blocks of seekers and hellstriders, how are they finding them? Also spears or whips, and anyone done any comparisons to centigor? Or marauder horsemen come to think of it.

This is a pretty easy question to evaluate. Let's start with the basic statistics. I'm going to use my WDR formula for offense, which allows us to compare damage of different rend values. Also note that WDR is a measure of efficiency, so it takes into consideration the point cost of the unit. With both WDR and defensive efficiency, higher numbers are better. 

Note that these numbers don't factor in the exploding 6's to hit as they should benefit all of these units equally.

Seekers have a WDR of .068 at baseline and  .101 with Soul Hunters, and a defensive efficiency of .125.

Hellstriders with clawspears have a WDR of .06 at baseline and .099 with Soul Hunter, and a defensive efficiency of .2.

Marauder Horsemen (using the newly announced points value of 80 per 5) have a WDR of .05 and a defensive efficiency of .188

Centigors have a WDR of .048 at baseline, .075 when charging, .067 when drinking, and .103 when drinking and charging. They have a defensive efficiency of .188 against ranged damage and .25 against melee damage. When drinking their defensive efficiency drops to something like .141 against ranged and .188 against melee (this is an approximation).

Marauder Horsemen are pretty clearly the worst of the bunch, comparing unfavorably to Hellstriders in both categories. They are also the slowest with only a 12" move and no run and charge, although they can retreat and charge. I think we can eliminate those unless you are picking units for reasons other than performance.

Seekers stand out as the fastest of the bunch, with an extra 3.5" movement over Hellstriders and an extra 2.5" movement over Centigors. 

Based on just the raw numbers, Centigors are the most efficient option if you intend to be attacking. If you make them drink, they perform comparably with baseline Seekers on offense but still outperform Seekers on defensive efficiency both in and out of melee. When charging, they far outperform Seekers, although that pattern flips in subsequent combat rounds as Seekers will likely have Soul Hunter and Centigors lose their charge bonus. That said, this highlights an internal tension in the Seeker warscroll: they are at their best in rounds of combat after the first, but they also have the worst defensive efficiency, meaning they are less likely to still be there to benefit from this bonus.

Centigors are basically similar to Hellstriders, but more flexible. They can outperform Hellstriders on defense if they don't drink, and outperform them on offense if they do. They also get a +1" movement advantage over Hellstriders. Hellstriders are battleline though, which makes them instantly viable as a pick over Centigors if you need to fill battleline. If you are already taking Depraved Drove though you might just be filling your battleline with Ungors or Gors.

The one real monkeywrench in this analysis though is the Hedonites of Slaanesh keyword. Seekers can fight twice thanks to the Keeper command ability, and they can benefit from the Icon of Infinite Excess, whereas Centigors can't. So if you are looking to absolutely maximize offensive potential, Seekers are probably the best choice.

TL:DR Summary:

• Marauder Horsemen are pretty much strictly worse than all of the other choices, but the other three units all have a place
  • Hellstriders are mostly useful if you need the battleline
  • Centigors are the most versatile and efficient at baseline, and they do a good job of hitting hard with their initial charge. They are the best choice in most cases based on pure stats
  • Seekers are the best if you want to absolutely maximize initial speed and offense at the cost of everything else and are prepared to support them with the KoS command ability and/or Icon of Infinite Excess.  

• Like 2