AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

9 minutes ago, Poryague said:

Can use it to cast slothful stupor from the keeper on Marathi or a terror ghiest turn 1. Also states it only counts the spell if it was successful to cast so if you whiff slothful stupor you could go for a different spell with proper positioning of wizards.

Also seen a list where they took fateweaver he knows all spells in the army within 18. This includes slothful stupor or whatever else you have. 4-1 at bobo lost to skaven failed a key locus and didnt do enough damage to the screen. To get to key target. Killed the warlock engineer with spell portal and fate weaver. didn't quit get to the verminlord warpseer. Also failed to kill the plague furnace. Got counter charged by 80 plague monks.

Yeah that was Darren Watson, it's a really interesting list. He took some interesting pieces to really take advantage of Kairos' manipulate a d6 once per game as well (beast caller's bones specifically so he could take control of a monster once per game). 

Edited by SwampHeart

12 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Yeah that was Darren Watson, it's a really interesting list. He took some interesting pieces to really take advantage of Kairos' manipulate a d6 once per game as well (beast caller's bones specifically so he could take control of a monster once per game). 

A good idea for sure in it's set up. From the looks of it the mistake may have been not pushing the army more for the vermin lord who had death frenzy and has an aoe battlshock immunity for 2/3 the board.   Maybe got a little gready though I understand why if the kos did their job he could of killed both the furnace and the vermin lord. The dice rolls got him rolled a 1 for the keeper who went for vermin lord so the verminlord retreated on his activation. The failure of locus and not doing enough damage to the screen kinda sucked.

Interesting thing i just notice looking at the bobo video. If the list they showed for the skaven and slaanesh match were the correct list submitted by the players the skaven list had invalid entry on it. He gave the suspicious stone to the plague furnace only masterclan can have it. That thing provides a 5+ mw and wound save. Depending on the kos out put and if it double activated that could easily be the difference between the plague furnace living and being dead. Don't know if it would of made a difference.

Edited by Poryague

1 hour ago, Poryague said:

Interesting thing i just notice looking at the bobo video. If the list they showed for the skaven and slaanesh match were the correct list submitted by the players the skaven list had invalid entry on it. He gave the suspicious stone to the plague furnace only masterclan can have it. That thing provides a 5+ mw and wound save. Depending on the kos out put and if it double activated that could easily be the difference between the plague furnace living and being dead. Don't know if it would of made a difference.

The Plague Furnace has that ability naturally - just like (for whatever unknownable reason) basically every other Skaven large model has. 

52 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

The Plague Furnace has that ability naturally - just like (for whatever unknownable reason) basically every other Skaven large model has. 

I know it has a built in version thats not what im talking about. The Artifact he gave it is Suspicious Stone thats a master clan artifact the plague furnace can't have that artifact. This gave him 2 5+ roll instead of just the singular built in 1 5+ after save. 

Edited by Poryague

2 hours ago, Poryague said:

I know it has a built in version thats not what im talking about. The Artifact he gave it is Suspicious Stone thats a master clan artifact the plague furnace can't have that artifact. This gave him 2 5+ roll instead of just the singular built in 1 5+ after save. 

Ahh my mistake. Yeah that's a pretty impactful item to have on such an already durable model. Upon further inspection of Phil's list, I think its really bad formatting but I think the Suspicious Stone is on his Verminlord Warpseer. 

Edited by SwampHeart

54 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Ahh my mistake. Yeah that's a pretty impactful item to have on such an already durable model. Upon further inspection of Phil's list, I think its really bad formatting but I think the Suspicious Stone is on his Verminlord Warpseer. 

In the video they posted from the tournament they showed his list. The furnace had the suspicious stone. Its posssible the list was poorly formated and caused confusion. It was not well formatted infact most list they showed had multiple differnt formats some clearer then others. This could have artifacts and traits in spots causing confusion as to who has what. They need to come with standard format that makes it clear who has what. So yeah could easily be a miss read of the list.

Hey guys I’m new to AOS, just got back into it with a group of friends and the gf. Have not played since 8th edition. I collect Iron jaws and gf is on Slaanesh. We are trying build her a 2000 point army and have the Slaanesh side of the demon starter set and a start collecting box. 

So question is what would be a way to approach 2000 point with what we have for a somewhat competitive army.  Don’t need optimum list but just were to go so can compete with everyone. I am clueless in Slaanesh. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, DavisMMA125 said:

Hey guys I’m new to AOS, just got back into it with a group of friends and the gf. Have not played since 8th edition. I collect Iron jaws and gf is on Slaanesh. We are trying build her a 2000 point army and have the Slaanesh side of the demon starter set and a start collecting box. 

So question is what would be a way to approach 2000 point with what we have for a somewhat competitive army.  Don’t need optimum list but just were to go so can compete with everyone. I am clueless in Slaanesh. 

Thanks 

So looking towards the minimum number of purchases: One more start collecting box, the new Hedonites of slaanesh battletome, a Keeper of Secrets, a Contorted Epitome, and the Fane of Slaanesh.

In your purchases, you’d end up with a little over 2000 points of units.

One thing worth noting: With these purchases, you’d either want to build 2 Bladebringers on Exalted Chariots, or you’d want to build 1 Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot and 2 Seeker Chariots (instructions for Seeker Chariots can be found online).

Tentative list, Godseekers Host:

Leaders: Keeper of Secrets (General, Thrill Seeker, an artifact of your choice, spell: progeny of damnation), Contorted Epitome (spell: hysterical frenzy), Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot (spell: lash of Slaanesh), Infernal Enrapturess (spell: soulslice shards)

Battleline: 30 Daemonettes, Seeker Chariot, Seeker Chariot

Other Units: 10 Seekers, 5 Seekers

Battalion: Supreme Sybarites

It’s not a perfect list, but I think it matches up reasonably well against semi-competitive but not tournament-level lists. Quick ways to improve it even further: Buy 30 more Daemonettes, a box of 5 Hellstriders, pick up Chronomantic Cogs off of eBay... and if you really want to splurge, maybe find a way to fit a second Keeper of Secrets in there.

Edited by CB42
  • Thanks 1

I've been asked to play a nicer list for more casual games, and I thought about Slaves to Darkness -  are marauders any good for us? I know they're not the best we have, but I'd like them to be at least okay - a challenge without being overwhelming in a casual setting.

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

I've been asked to play a nicer list for more casual games, and I thought about Slaves to Darkness -  are marauders any good for us? I know they're not the best we have, but I'd like them to be at least okay - a challenge without being overwhelming in a casual setting.

This has been my thought as well. I need to play slaves for my local. What sucks is I don’t own slaves outside of chosen and a sorc lord, and a chaos lord. I can field maybe 1k points

1 minute ago, carnith said:

This has been my thought as well. I need to play slaves for my local. What sucks is I don’t own slaves outside of chosen and a sorc lord, and a chaos lord. I can field maybe 1k points

Surely if you want to play a more casual friendly list, all you need to do is focus on the non-leaders in the armybook, especially non-hero chariots and Fiends. Outside of hero choices (and maybe Helstriders) our units aren't particularly powerful.  Regular seeker chariots for example are hardly scary for their points cost.

No need to go Slaves, unless you want to.

Plans for a more casual list that opponents won’t complain about:

No Keepers

No Epitome

No Syll’Esske

Max 1 Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot

No Bestigors

Max 3 heroes (to limit depravity generation)

Basically everything else is fairly costed or overcosted.

The  dictatorship of the mediocre is disgusting. If you like playing competitive games, stay competitive and never bring units that you don't like to please someone, find some more competitive minded people and have fun. And, after all, you're going to a tournament - and the aim is to win, right?

Edited by Cookiez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cookiez said:

The  dictatorship of the mediocre is disgusting. If you like playing competitive games, stay competitive and never bring units that you don't like to please someone, find some more competitive minded people and have fun.

I'm not sure about disgusting - I just want my friends to have fun when fighting my army.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'm not sure about disgusting - I just want my friends to have fun when fighting my army.

Same. Just that my friends complain about 30 daemonettes, they’d complain about lot of stuff. But like I know my friends would bring fulminators and hordes of ungor raiders to try to shoot me off the board, or other fairly powerful tactics or counters. It’s just frustrating playing bad lists cause of opponents who can’t list build. Being told fiends are appropriately costed at 210 but bestigors are fine at 120 and enlightened at 140 and don’t deserve to go up, that evocators are fine where they are at, but my army is a problem is a bit frustrating though. 

21 minutes ago, carnith said:

Same. Just that my friends complain about 30 daemonettes, they’d complain about lot of stuff. But like I know my friends would bring fulminators and hordes of ungor raiders to try to shoot me off the board, or other fairly powerful tactics or counters. It’s just frustrating playing bad lists cause of opponents who can’t list build. Being told fiends are appropriately costed at 210 but bestigors are fine at 120 and enlightened at 140 and don’t deserve to go up, that evocators are fine where they are at, but my army is a problem is a bit frustrating though. 

People will complain, and it sounds like your friends will complain no matter what. You have a few options here - you can help them build lists that do use incredibly strong things to lead to more balanced games (as well as talking them through how to play around the Locus, like charging 3 units to an area where there's a Keeper so they can't all be Locus'd, and screening out your Keeper and Daemonettes from getting to their key units). But in my experience, even better list building and some discussion of tactics doesn't get people to stop complaining. Someone can be netlisting and if their skill isn't there it won't help them win games. It'll just keep them from losing games solely off of list quality.

Another option, and one that I've done with some of my less competitive friends: Play imbalanced games! If you play at a more competitive level, try playing games of 2000 points vs 2500 points, or 1500 points vs 2000 points. The extra points and inherent advantage from playing with extra points will make them less likely to complain that your army is unfair, and the additional challenge will make you a better player - at 2000 vs 2500, it's not enough to rely on the Locus and strength of the Keeper / Daemonettes to just stomp enemy melee, you have to work for that win. This is doubly true at 1500 vs 2000. This one can be a hard sell if your friends have big egos, but if they are willing to play an imbalanced game, I suspect this might be the best option.

The final option is what you've been proposing. I'd say in this case, remove the things that are valid to complain about and tell them they're being ridiculous if they complain about the rest. Let's be honest here: Slaanesh is, right now, a very powerful army. I don't think it's quite DoK or Skaven tier, but it's real close. If they're not playing a tournament level list or a top tier army themselves, they're starting from behind before any skill comes into play. More than that, though, are things that aren't overpowered but feel bad to play against. When you charge and get Locus'd, that feels bad. When you lose half your forces but kill half the other guy's forces, then he summons everything back, that feels bad. Yeah, the non-Slaanesh player still got outplayed and could have played around it, and maybe we pay in points costs for the summoning, but that won't change how it feels. Minimizing your army's ability to use the Locus and limiting how much you summon will make the army feel more fair - even if you use very strong units. Running 90 Daemonettes in an Epicurean battalion, and then winning in a traditional "I attack, you attack" fashion will feel much less bad for the losing player than if you'd run 2 Keepers and Syll'Esske, killed a bunch of stuff, lost them, then summoned 2 more Keepers to the field, even if all else is equal. I suspect that, if your friends will complain no matter what, at least this will pull some of the teeth out of those complaints - the army will feel like a strong but traditional army to fight against rather than a new and unfair army to fight against.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

Marauders are, interestingly enough, super cost effective assuming both of their potential buffs go off. But I think in a more casual environment they make a fine core choice that most people should enjoy playing against. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rentar said:

To anyone who's built the Fane and magnetised the giant moon bit:

How did you magnetise it? Send pictures if you can. I would greatly appreciate it!

I don't have one myself, but looking at the kit in the GW store, wouldn't it be best to just pin it instead of magnetising? (Drilling a small hole in each surface area and pinning with copper wire.)

So in the realm of life the jade diadem on a 6+ save you heal a wound well the faq

Page 79 – Artefacts of Power: Relics of Ghyran, 
Jade Diadem
Change the rules text to: 
‘If the unmodified save roll for an attack that targets the 
bearer is 6, heal 1 wound allocated to the bearer.’

Even if the rend -3 and your save is 4+ you still roll. Since modifiers are applied after you roll. Still get to heal some of the damage. Also cogs let you reroll failed saves. It is possible hordes with loads of attacks but no rend can make a model generate more dp then they were expecting it to. Probably still going do die but you get more milage on the dp. I may test it this weekend.

In an attempt to see less of the Keeper of Secrets, here is a list I came up with. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders Host
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)
- General
- Trait: Hunter of Godbeasts 
- Artefact: Blade of Symmetry 
- Host Option: Strongest Alone (Pretenders Host Second Command Trait)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Phantasmagoria
Viceleader, Herald of Slaanesh (120)
30 x Daemonettes (300)
5 x Hellstriders with Claw-spears (100)
Mesmerising Mirror (60)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 62

The magic phase is still strong with the combo of Epitome and Vice with Phantasma/Soulslice with the Chariot being a killing machine. Blade of Symmetry on the Whips gives damage 2 whips, and hunter of godbeasts will smack down any monster as it should give +1 dmg to all attacks (so daemonettes/mounts dmg 2) and meant to run off by itself with Strongest alone. 

If the lists needs further toning down, then removing epitome for sorc manticore to remove a spell and a better spell caster. 

6 minutes ago, carnith said:

In an attempt to see less of the Keeper of Secrets, here is a list I came up with. 

- Host: Pretenders Host
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)
- General
- Trait: Hunter of Godbeasts 
- Artefact: Blade of Symmetry 
- Host Option: Strongest Alone (Pretenders Host Second Command Trait)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Phantasmagoria
Viceleader, Herald of Slaanesh (120)
30 x Daemonettes (300)
5 x Hellstriders with Claw-spears (100)
Mesmerising Mirror (60)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 62

The magic phase is still strong with the combo of Epitome and Vice with Phantasma/Soulslice with the Chariot being a killing machine. Blade of Symmetry on the Whips gives damage 2 whips, and hunter of godbeasts will smack down any monster as it should give +1 dmg to all attacks (so daemonettes/mounts dmg 2) and meant to run off by itself with Strongest alone. 

If the lists needs further toning down, then removing epitome for sorc manticore to remove a spell and a better spell caster. 

Traits and Artifacts only apply to the hero and not the mount. All the chariot crew count as a mount (they even clarify this in the new warscroll format) so Hunter of Godbeasts only apply to the whip. Always tought of the artifact that add 1 dmg for heralds tho. Probably better on epitome since it got 9 atacks so 9 more potential dmg, but that depend if you gonna use contorted epitome locust too or only hide it behind for casting magic. Bladebringers on Exalted Chariots are so underrated by the Keeper comparison, but they got a ton of wounds to convert into DP, cost almost half the points, and deal 2d3 MW on charge, potentially more with good dice rolls, and d3 more in the enemy turn if it survives, I see it as good as a grinder as the potentially -2 rend 10 dmg of keeper claws. Of course Artifacts and Traits make the keeper stronger, but so do giving the right things to the Bladebringer. Some people where talking about the Goblet of Draining as an example, every time you inflict a wound to a hero roll a dice, on a 5+ you deal d3 more mortal wounds to that hero. Bladebringer can proc it 4 times a turn. In the magic phase using arcane bolt, in the charge phase with the chariot dmg, at the start of the combat phase with the chariot dmg, in the combat phase using the whip. In the enemy turn it can proc 2 times (both of the combat phase instances).

Well dang on the mount part, but the blade is a nice option regardless if you have a second relic. So would rerolls from Strongest alone only affect the herald then? If thats the case, then using the fane would be better since it affects the whole model and not just the bearer. 

- Host: Godseekers Host
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- General
- Sinistrous Hand
- Trait: Speed-chaser
- Artefact: Cameo of the Dark Prince
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
- Spell: Hysterical Frenzy
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Phantasmagoria
Infernal Enrapturess, Herald of Slaanesh (140)
Viceleader, Herald of Slaanesh (120)
Bladebringer, Herald on Seeker Chariot (160)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Soulslice Shards

Battleline
30 x Daemonettes (300)
1 x Seeker Chariots (120)
1 x Seeker Chariots (120)

Battalions
Supreme Sybarites (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

Here is my take on a Godseekers list? Comments?