AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

If it is ours, I do wonder if it means a book may come earlier than expected. Certainly not this year, but maybe next year. I'd have initially guessed we may skip over 3rd edition and be one of the first 4th edition books to come out. 

Let's hope they've had a good amount of time to work on the book this time. 

37 minutes ago, AirbrushThreepwood said:

I bought a Slaanesh Battleforce last Christmas (impulse buy) and it has been sitting on my shelf for a few months now. I think I am finally going to start assembling them and building an army.

I just bought myself a Lord of Gluttony because it's such a gorgeous model so I'm not far off from having a 1500 point army.

If get a Lord of Pain I could do this list.....

Is this list any good?

I don't have a Battletomb I'm just messing around on the AoS builder

Screenshot_20220607-133441_Bromite.jpg

Unfortunately Slaangors are not very good at all, but thankfully you can swap them with more Painrbringers or Twinsouls from the box. Other than that, the list should work well enough - just make sure to try keep Glutos topped up on healing to ensure he still has a 5+ ward save as long as possible.

• Like 1

Played against a nurgle list last night which contained a Great unclean one, their giant mercenary, some blight kings plaguebearers and blight lords.

used this list

Army Faction: Hedonites of Slaanesh
    - Army Type: Lurid Haze

LEADER

Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (265)
    - General
    - Command Traits:
    - Artefacts: 
    - Spells: Hysterical Frenzy

Sigvald (265)

BATTLELINE

Blissbarb Archers (170)

Blissbarb Archers (170)

Hellstriders with Hellscourges (135)

BEHEMOTH

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

TERRAIN

Fane of Slaanesh (0)

OTHER

Slickblade Seekers (230)

1 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (330)

TOTAL POINTS: (1965/2000)

I won and it ended up doing rather well, the Krondspine seemed necessary to deal with the gargant. Everything else needed to work in tandem to finish things off, with my blissbarbs managing to keep alive all game by running away from his slower units.

Sigvald didn’t do much except kill 3 blight kings, but I was able to summon a keeper and two more exalted chariots and through speed and summons maintain objective control and whittle him down to his GuO and 3 plaguebearers. Meanwhile I still had 18 blissbarbs, 2 exalted chariots and a keeper on the field.

It’s certainly fun to have nurgles disease tick away for one mortal wound every round to get that depravity up! But killing big targets feels difficult and the great unclean one was a constant terror the whole game who I dealt with by simply keeping away from it as much as I could.

The new rally bonus netted me two crew twin souls back, and the movement bonus was pretty useful in the one turn I had it.

I need to keep practicing with the list to see if I need any tweaks. The Krondspine feels so useful for an army like slaanesh and covers it’s weaknesses fairly well, and you don’t pay the summoning point tax for it either!

On 6/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, Enoby said:

Unfortunately Slaangors are not very good at all, but thankfully you can swap them with more Painrbringers or Twinsouls from the box. Other than that, the list should work well enough - just make sure to try keep Glutos topped up on healing to ensure he still has a 5+ ward save as long as possible.

Oh that's a shame, they look so cool.

How bad are they? Like absolute trash or just not great?

I like the aesthetic they bring to the table. 

Thanks for the advise 

Greetings fellow Hedonites,

I've got a one day event coming up this Sunday, 3 games. I had been on a Nurgle kick since the new book came out, but I'm breaking out the ol Slaanesh for the event. List is below and I'll be sure to provide updates on how I did. I've found that there are two things I cant leave home without when it comes to Slaanesh; Glutos and the Dreadful Visage.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Indomitable
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (475)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265)
Lord of Pain (155)
- General
- Command Trait: Feverish Anticipation
- Artefact: Oil of Exultation
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (330)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (330)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Myrmidesh Painbringers (145)*
1 x Exalted Chariot (200)
Dreadful Visage (90)
*Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88
Drops: 7

Edited by Sigmalthus
Spelling

Looking forward to seeing the outcome with this list!

I’ve been tempted by the dreadful visage. I found in my previous game I couldn’t risk sending in multiple units sometimes because of the strike-back in my opponents activation. I’d love to hear how it works out.

what’s your game plan with the list?

In case you peoples missed this, This HOS list went 5-0 last weekend in a 30 players 2 day

Army Faction: Hedonites of Slaanesh
    - Army Type: Invaders
    - Army Subfaction: The Lurid Haze
    - Grand Strategy: Beast Master
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (270)*
    - Artefacts: Oil of Exultation
    - Spells: Flaming Weapon
    - Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

Sigvald (265)*

Synessa (260)*
    - General
    - Spells: Pavane of Slaanesh

BATTLELINE

Blissbarb Archers (170)*

Blissbarb Archers (170)*

Hellstriders with Hellscourges (135)*

BEHEMOTH

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)*

ENDLESS SPELL

The Burning Head (20)

TERRAIN

Fane of Slaanesh (0)

OTHER

Blissbarb Seekers (220)*

Centigors (90)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wordy9th said:

I’ve been tempted by the dreadful visage. I found in my previous game I couldn’t risk sending in multiple units sometimes because of the strike-back in my opponents activation. I’d love to hear how it works out.

My general plan is to scream loudly and try not to die! In all seriousness, I played a similar list as the one I mentioned above against DOK last weekend and ending up winning with DOK conceding bottom of 2. The twinblade units were able to really perform as long as I was careful with their targets. Sigvald and Glutos were both great distractions and tanked quite a lot. The Dreadful Visage did 3-4 mortal wounds every time it moved and allowed me to charge into targets I'd usually not because of strike last. 

I'm thinking as long as I play cagey I can squeak out a few wins. Looking forward to trying anyway!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Have you considered allying in a mindstealer sphiranx instead of taking the dreadful visage, or in addition to it? It's more reliable since it needs no cast and cant be unbound (while also giving you a monster), but the dreadful visage does have the advantage of being able to move before applying its effect, giving it a longer threat range which could be decisive.

Edited by JackOfBlades

4 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

Have you considered allying in a mindstealer sphiranx instead of taking the dreadful visage, or in addition to it? It's more reliable since it needs no cast and cant be unbound (while also giving you a monster), but the dreadful visage does have the advantage of being able to move before applying its effect, giving it a longer threat range which could be decisive.

I’ve actually run a list with both. I’ve found the range from the Visage keeps me using it instead of the Sphiranx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AirbrushThreepwood said:

Oh that's a shame, they look so cool.

How bad are they? Like absolute trash or just not great?

I like the aesthetic they bring to the table. 

Thanks for the advise 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but currently Slaangor are one of the worst warscrolls in the game (if not the worst!)  Of course if you really like the look of them there's no harm in playing with them, just don't, er, don't expect them to do much of anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So after finishing the the Sybarite Blade-Carnival, what would make the most sense to do next? I already started with the Warcry box for more archers and to bring the twinsoulse to a 10 man squat.

PXL_20220602_131248121.jpg.8c754f0a993da1de2525bc2bb6ef7b5d.jpg

Group pic of the leaders

Edited by Sonnenspeer
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

Looking at the new GHB rules, I think units of 10-15 Painbringers followed around by a LoP in the new objective holding battalion could be worth looking into. With them rerolling hits, their damage isn't too shabby. Below is the average damage of 15 Painbringers:

Screenshot_20220615-163930_Chrome.jpg.a57830c8d548ba9325fe638f60c01d74.jpg

Also, if we look at units of 10 Painbringers vs 10 Twinsouls in the new +1 damage battalion, we can see their damage against GV compared (both rerolling and not for the Painbringers as there's no gaurantee they'll get the command point off).

Screenshot_20220615-164357_Chrome.jpg.849c9b1d5f50d7bc0b48b89ef23bbc8a.jpg

So 10 twinsouls are clearly better damage wise than Painbringers when both get +1 damage. 

However, this does make me think that a unit of 15 Painbringers counting as 3 each for objectives, rallying on a 5+, and rerolling hits with a unit of 10 Twinsouls to clear the opponent's GV will be good to use. 

• Like 2

Interesting stats - provided points remain relatively similar, I'm very interested in seeing how units of 10 painbringers develop with the new GHB.

I've quick-fired a list here:

- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Triumphs:
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (475)
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265)
11 x Blissbarb Archers (170)
10 x Myrmidesh Painbringers (290)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (330)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Slaangor Fiendbloods (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 106
Drops: 8

With the blissbarbs as GV, hopefully staying out of harms way, while the Painbringers, Twinsouls and Slaangors (look, I had 130 points left and I'd love to see them do two damage xD) are in the new Bounty Hunters batallion gaining +1 damage. 

Quick and dirty, but the concept of using more 'elite' infantry in slaanesh, backed up by Glutos' aura and a strong ranged component appeals to me. Of course we don't have all the information yet, but I wonder if the theme will turn out workable.

-Edit- Plus it's nice to create lists without the Krondspine, which I've been using more or less exclusively in my slaanesh lists lately!

Edited by Wordy9th
  • Like 1

So how we feeling about these changes? I'm in the camp of that it's nice, but does nothing really for us. 

A lot of our units are fragile enough as it is that units against us with +1 dmg will just tear through our units. Maybe a return to hellstriders who can't get spiked off the board is our way again. 

A possible list I'm thinking of that might have some interesting gas is. 

- Host: Godseekers Host
- Triumphs:
Lord of Pain (155)
- General
- Artefact: Cameo of the Dark Prince
Synessa, The Voice of Slaanesh (260)
Shardspeaker of Slaanesh (150)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
The Masque (135)
10 x Myrmidesh Painbringers (290)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Slickblade Seekers (230)
5 x Slickblade Seekers (230)
1 x Exalted Chariot (200)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 115
Drops: 10

The Slicks and Exalted got in bounty hunter. The bliss and myrm go in the counts as 3. The list still has 50 points left over. I'm wondering if Synessa is worth it anymore without +1 cast from cogs. This could easily change to Lurid Haze with Synessa becoming Sigvald. Would be nice to get Gnashing jaws. I think it could be fun to run over a slow moving unit for massive mortal wounds. Assuming basic unit is movement 5, you likely roll a 10, so 5 mws. Maybe our wheels come back, but that's also hard to fit into the list. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same camp as @Carnith that they're nice to see - we did get more than any (?) other faction overall, but we didn't get any huge targeted drops and I'm baffled Slaangors didn't see a change. 

I do think, with the bounty hunters being fully revealed, we're better skipping out on making Painbringers and Twinsouls battleline and just taking Blissbarbs mixed with Hellstriders (who won't count for GV) to deny the opponent's points and just park/summon GV units on the special points when needed. Potentially use the GV rules to help 10 Painbringers in combat, but tbh I don't know if that's worth it should they become priority number 1 for bounty hunters. 

On the bright side, I do think the Bounty Hunter battalion is a great fit for our Slickblade Seekers - they're very fast and easily able to hit on the regular. 

The points drop on Sigvald is nice too. 

I don't think we'll be going up in the meta, but it does help a little bit and we'll probably be in a better place than before, but not by loads. 

• Like 1

I know that for the list I ran the other week these drops would have helped me fit an extra unit in rather than play majorly under with nothing to show for it but a Triumph...so in that sense, yay? 

Keepers at 400 and Daemonettes at 130 are still laughable, though. I'm pretty sure they refuse to drop the points on Slaangor not because they think they're good but because they just genuinely don't care. 

• Like 1

One day I hope we get a designer who enjoys our faction and allows us to be a middle of the road army.  I hate to go “look at that army!” But seeing that boc who got a tremendous buff also got point drops. 

I guess we are in another cycle of waiting for the faq and maybe they errata warscrolls there? It’s a bit of a tiresome cycle of waiting to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Carnith said:

One day I hope we get a designer who enjoys our faction and allows us to be a middle of the road army.  I hate to go “look at that army!” But seeing that boc who got a tremendous buff also got point drops. 

I guess we are in another cycle of waiting for the faq and maybe they errata warscrolls there? It’s a bit of a tiresome cycle of waiting to be disappointed. 

I think the best chance we have is a new book. A bit like Lumineth 1 to Lumineth 2, I think our books were written very close together and so loads of things were kept very similar - with the stuff that changed in ours being 'necessary' fixes. Unfortunately due to the time crunch, we got a 0.5 battletome that was probably written in a week with the constant pressure of "whatever you do, don't make it OP" looming over the writer. 

It made for a boring, half designed battletome with monumental points costs to try provide double insurance against OP summoning.

I do think a new book would be a lot better, so long as it's not released soon. Sylvaneth went through something similar, with a powerful 1st book, a half baked weak 2nd book, and now an actually creative 3rd book. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I think the best chance we have is a new book. A bit like Lumineth 1 to Lumineth 2, I think our books were written very close together and so loads of things were kept very similar - with the stuff that changed in ours being 'necessary' fixes. Unfortunately due to the time crunch, we got a 0.5 battletome that was probably written in a week with the constant pressure of "whatever you do, don't make it OP" looming over the writer. 

It made for a boring, half designed battletome with monumental points costs to try provide double insurance against OP summoning.

I do think a new book would be a lot better, so long as it's not released soon. Sylvaneth went through something similar, with a powerful 1st book, a half baked weak 2nd book, and now an actually creative 3rd book. 

I feel the same way. Point reductions might make what there is more functional but it wont change the uninspired, seemingly rushed nature of the army book. I think the slaanesh release was clearly driven by the new wave of miniature sculpts, and the army book itself was either:

1) Both management and authors only intended it as an errata for the previous army book.
2) The authors wanted to create a labor of love, but were under pressure from management to just make an errata.
3) Management wouldve green lighted creativity but the authors just didnt care for slaanesh, and simply wanted to check the boxes that said "new army book" and "power level toned down" and move on.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 2