AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

Tried another game with Slaves. I think the none-hero units are unfortunately not great for us; they're much better than they were, but really for casual play only. The Chaos Sorcerer Lord and Lord of Karkadrak have both been surprising winners - the LoK is very nicely tanky. 

That said, overall, I think Slaves Slaanesh can be more fun to play than our normal lists and that tends to be what matters. Much more synergy, but we can still throw a keeper in for a punch.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Tried another game with Slaves. I think the none-hero units are unfortunately not great for us; they're much better than they were, but really for casual play only.

Have you experimented with marauders? With reroll hits and wounds from a chaos Sorc lord or warshrine, and triple exploding 6s, they force 2 saves per model at -1 rend. Need to kill a bloodthirster? Get 10-15 marauders in on the thirster and pile the other 25 into the next 2 units. 81 saves at -1 kills 30 Hagg narr witch aelves with buckler and blessing, or 14 Hearthguard Berzerkers with a nearby battlesmith. It’s like 30 Slaaneshtigors on the charge plus 33% extra damage just for fun, except you aren’t reliant on the run roll in the movement phase or the charge roll when you’re already committed - you can check your buffs and bridge in the hero phase and decide if you’re going in or if you don’t want to if you fail a spell cast.

I’m thinking of running Slaarauders with Sorc lord, warshrine, Epitome, and Soulscream Bridge. In Godseekers, they literally can’t fail a charge from deepstrike, and that gives them an effective 25” guaranteed charge radius if the spell goes off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CB42 said:

Have you experimented with marauders? With reroll hits and wounds from a chaos Sorc lord or warshrine, and triple exploding 6s, they force 2 saves per model at -1 rend. Need to kill a bloodthirster? Get 10-15 marauders in on the thirster and pile the other 25 into the next 2 units. 81 saves at -1 kills 30 Hagg narr witch aelves with buckler and blessing, or 14 Hearthguard Berzerkers with a nearby battlesmith. It’s like 30 Slaaneshtigors on the charge plus 33% extra damage just for fun, except you aren’t reliant on the run roll in the movement phase or the charge roll when you’re already committed - you can check your buffs and bridge in the hero phase and decide if you’re going in or if you don’t want to if you fail a spell cast.

I’m thinking of running Slaarauders with Sorc lord, warshrine, Epitome, and Soulscream Bridge. In Godseekers, they literally can’t fail a charge from deepstrike, and that gives them an effective 25” guaranteed charge radius if the spell goes off.

I've used marauders - they did some damage and then just dissolved. They have low bravery and a naff save, so if they're not striking first they'll get killed. Don't get me wrong, they do a lot when they are in, but it's basically a 300point (or 410 with SL) glass cannon that doesn't generate anything back. Put them into the right unit and you're golden, but if something gets them first they're done for. At an optimal level, I feel the keeper is better due to locus and DP.

The Soulscream bridge combo would work well for an alpha strike, but I feel the issue would arise when the enemy hits back. After the mauraders are dead, you best hope they killed 600+ points to make their money back from that combo. 

Maybe with a few blocks of marauders it'd be better as then you have multiple threats, but with just one you really struggle if the opponent knows how killy mauraders are.

Edited by Enoby

58 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Maybe with a few blocks of marauders it'd be better as then you have multiple threats, but with just one you really struggle if the opponent knows how killy mauraders are.

Yeah, I was thinking something like Syll Host Keeper (with thermal) Epitome 3x40 marauders Sorc Lord warshrine Bridge warshrinebattalion. Gives you 4 primary threats of which 2 can have long range on any turn, and 124 bodies holds objectives good. And marauders with reroll saves will be super tanky vs no rend and somewhat tanky vs rend -1.

8 hours ago, CB42 said:

Yeah, I was thinking something like Syll Host Keeper (with thermal) Epitome 3x40 marauders Sorc Lord warshrine Bridge warshrinebattalion. Gives you 4 primary threats of which 2 can have long range on any turn, and 124 bodies holds objectives good. And marauders with reroll saves will be super tanky vs no rend and somewhat tanky vs rend -1.

It would certainly put out a lot of damage, though I'm assuming as you're not using Syll'Esske in the host so you may struggle with DP generation and so might find yourself on the back foot near the end of the game. It would certainly be worth testing out  though - I think marauders have some untapped potential, and it's just finding out how to make the most of it.

You may also want to consider finding room for a chaos lord if possible for the double pile in.

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

It would certainly put out a lot of damage, though I'm assuming as you're not using Syll'Esske in the host so you may struggle with DP generation

You may also want to consider finding room for a chaos lord if possible for the double pile in.

I mostly ran Depraved Drove last year - I’ve never been big on DP generation, I’ve always been about those exploding 6s leading to some truly absurd numbers of saves. I’m just frustrated that the warshrine battalion is Syll Host locked because I’d much rather run Godseekers.

Chaos lord is cool, I just couldn’t make room for him. I wanted redundancy on the reroll hits / wounds, and so adding him meant dropping from 3 marauders to 2 or dropping the keeper or Epitome, and I felt all three were core to the list.

11 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

Hello all

I'm not a very experienced player for aos but looking to play more over the year.  Currently I'm looking to try to make a semi competative godseekers army.  

Any tips or tricks I should be aware off?

Try to make a list of what abilities you need to remember and what phases they happen in. There's a lot to keep track of, but it'll get easier with practice.

Also remember that you get extra depravity points as godseekers depending on how many of your units charged that turn, which is something I always forget.

Aside from that if you go aqshy for your army's realm of origin and take at least one warscroll battalion (supreme sybarites is usually a good pick) you'll be able to take the thermalrider cloak and the girdle of the realm racer for two flying characters.

8 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

Hello all

I'm not a very experienced player for aos but looking to play more over the year.  Currently I'm looking to try to make a semi competative godseekers army.  

Any tips or tricks I should be aware off?

Be sure when charging/piling-in that you keep your units wholly within 12" of a Keeper of Secrets so they can benefit from the fight-twice command ability, it's one of the most important synergies in the army and making sure you don't accidentally move out of range of it is key. I recommend having at least one cheap character (such as a Viceleader) stay in your backfield at all times so that you have a hero to summon new units from in case you start taking heavy losses - you can't summon units if all your heroes are dead!

Before sending a big scary character (like a Keeper of Secrets, or Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot) into combat, see if you can have them get buffed by the Fane of Slaanesh (meaning, they take a mortal wound and on a D6 roll of 2+ they get to re-roll all hit rolls until your next hero phase) - not only does it give you a depravity point, it massively increases the effective damage output of that character. It does require some forward planning on where to place the Fane (ideally towards the middle of the board) and keeping the hero within 6" to receive the benefit, but it's well worth it if you do it right. I would also recommend looking at Chronomantic Cogs if you want to dabble in Endless Spells; combined with the Godseekers' own +1 to charge, this means your units get a whopping +3 to their charge rolls - which is especially nasty for your summoned units as they then only need a 6+ on their charge roll (in another host without Cogs, summoned units normally need a 9+ to charge!)

Edited by Jaskier

4 hours ago, Selpharia said:

So is it just me, or do the new KO look like they’ll be a nightmare to deal with? 

Not as much as Tzeetch. 

In Eternal Conflagration 6 flamers and an exaulted flamer can take down a keeper in one round of shooting. Combined with 1 drop armies, tarpits that don't give depravity and teleportation (Changehost) they look like a hard counter hero focused Slaanesh. 

1 hour ago, Goorie said:

Hey fellas. By any chance does any of you tried out/has experience with lists based on fiends? I am in love with the models but I always get stomped...

Fiends are a tough sell, unfortunately. They will do some damage, but the same points of daemonettes is usually more durable and damaging. Where they could have a place would be in an anti-caster focused list, alongside an enrapturess and an epitome or two. I can't vouch for something like that since I haven't personally tried it, and considering there are at least two armies in the game with no non-allied spellcasting, it's kind of a risk to go all in on. That being said, if Tzeentch ends up being the next major threat in the meta we'd want whatever we can muster to keep them from getting their spells through and accumulating their points for summoning.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the responses guys.  Currently I dont own a keeper but do have quite alot of everything else for daemons.

Currently thinking of going for heavy chariots/fast builds.  

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Godseekers Host
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)
Infernal Enrapturess, Herald of Slaanesh (140)

Battleline
30 x Daemonettes (300)
30 x Daemonettes (300)
5 x Hellstriders with Hellscourges (100)

Units
6 x Fiends (420)

Battalions
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

It's not "the list" but would it do well?

1 hour ago, Gumbalina said:

Cheers for the responses guys.  Currently I dont own a keeper but do have quite alot of everything else for daemons.

Currently thinking of going for heavy chariots/fast builds.  

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Godseekers Host
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders

Battleline
30 x Daemonettes (300)
30 x Daemonettes (300)
5 x Hellstriders with Hellscourges (100)

Units
6 x Fiends (420)

Battalions
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

It's not "the list" but would it do well?

Maybe drop one blop of nettes for another of hellstriders a cheap hero and supreme sybarites.

23 hours ago, Imhotep71 said:

So has anyone used the Soul Grinder battalion with any success?

I'm considering trying it in a "take everything that normally is considered less than optimal on paper and see what it can actually do" list just for fun. I need to put together a second soulgrinder before I'm set for that, and I may need a second set of fiends, but I'll be sure to report on my findings.

I think there's some great possibilities in our allegiance that don't synergize well with depravity points, and I wonder if it might be viable to just toss summoning to the wayside and lean into those options.

3 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

I'm considering trying it in a "take everything that normally is considered less than optimal on paper and see what it can actually do" list just for fun. I need to put together a second soulgrinder before I'm set for that, and I may need a second set of fiends, but I'll be sure to report on my findings.

I think there's some great possibilities in our allegiance that don't synergize well with depravity points, and I wonder if it might be viable to just toss summoning to the wayside and lean into those options.

I’ve been toying with that idea as well. I have 3 soul grinders.

I may have to see what it’s like building a list that doesn’t rely on summoning and see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Imhotep71 said:

I’ve been toying with that idea as well. I have 3 soul grinders.

I may have to see what it’s like building a list that doesn’t rely on summoning and see what happens. 

That would definitely make the battalion a reasonable upgrade price.

It's a shame there isn't a way to mark BoC units without the warscroll battalions, as I think there's a lot of potential for things like bullgors, but I really dislike the idea of the added list taxes involved.

I'm having a hard time finding a keeper around here for my list, so I wanted to ask, anyone had any success without running one? After the change on the Locus having one seens even more important ... Any advise on how to proceed with a list building if i'm unable to get one in the near future?

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

I'm having a hard time finding a keeper around here for my list, so I wanted to ask, anyone had any success without running one? After the change on the Locus having one seens even more important ... Any advise on how to proceed with a list building if i'm unable to get one in the near future?

Run an epitome for sure if you're going without a keeper,  it will give you two casts and dispels with rerolls, though without access to the keeper-tier spells. Also the epitome has a better version of locus it can use at the start of the combat phase that can hit multiple units. I think it may actually be one of our best models.

On the upside, the keeper's command ability only works on hedonite keyword units, so if you're not running a keeper you could try using S2D or BoC units without much issue.

• Thanks 1