AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

2 hours ago, Sorrow said:

I have a mixed feelings on new art and lore.

Symbaresh and Painbringers look utterly amazing artwork.

I am truly hoping we get more artwork of Glutos model, for that one art piece, due to its artistic style, leave the entire palanquin model devoid of numerous details that actual palanquin model has.  If that is going to be the sole art piece for Glutos and palanquin model, that is a disappointment.

The art showing Exalted Steeds is good, though the Exalted Steeds come across as velociraptors, not the beautiful purple seahorses.  OSemk1qXSacq7hNi.png.2476cfca9dbbf71ca3fe66d07c66fdc7.png

Sigvald art is okay, I suppose. Model looks better.

Lore is rather strange, since I was hoping that big lore part of AOS 3 was going to be Slaanesh/Newborn, and Sigvald taking the fight to Nagash like Teclis is not particularly promising.

ALSO, my fellow Hedonites, not a single book dedicated to our faction has been announced. That is a great disappointment to me. Short stories of Slaaneshi around the Realms have been amazing but short and always end up with Hedonites loosing.

I am tagging the following users since I would really love to hear their opinion on my thoughts in this post.

@Enoby @CeleFAZE@Overread@Popisdead@SorryLizard@Klamm

The exalted steeds are a great direction, I feel. They seamlessly bring together a number of the more recent design cues from the range, like the armor, jewelry, hooves, and flowing cloth, while still keeping a recognizable silhouette that immediately reads as a steed of Slaanesh. My only real disappointment is the lack of a daemonic cavalry version of the exalted steeds, but considering the sheer scale of this release it would be a bit greedy to demand more than we're receiving at this point.

As for the narrative, I think we'll see the plotline of the Newborn spread out a bit more across the grander direction the game's story takes. Considering Tzeentch's involvement with the imprisonment of Slaanesh, and the prophecy from the last short story, I imagine this will open up the opportunity for some godly politics within chaos, which is always a treat to see. As for Sigvald marching into Shyish, it seems a little lazy at first glance, but it does make our faction relevant in more conflicts between the grand alliances, which can only do good things for our foothold in the events to come.

While there currently doesn't seem to be any BL books coinciding with the new release, I think with our increasing relevance to the overall narrative we could see something sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 5:42 AM, umpac said:

I've been searching for a good alternative for a while but imo the only good option is converting GW models. Cultists or warbands with weapon and headswaps seem solid. 

The Hellstriders come with so many extra heads, I use classic marauder bodies with Hellstriders heads (and whips for flails). I have no complaints

36 minutes ago, SorryLizard said:

What colour schemes are people thinking for the Hedonites once they get their hands on them?

I'm going to go silver, bone and blue and I really want ot know how they're getting that mid tone brown skin because I want to include that in my scheme too.

Slaanesh is the only army I tend to go with a fairly traditional paint scheme for, I do hair with magos purple, alternate cloth with shyish purple and magos purple, and do metal with either silver with a purple wash or gold. For daemon skin I do the standard pale purple-grey, and for human skin I actually do a base of a pale skintone and then take about 6 different army painter brown washes and do two random ones for each model so I get a pretty broad range of skintones represented.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sorrow said:

ALSO, my fellow Hedonites, not a single book dedicated to our faction has been announced. That is a great disappointment to me. Short stories of Slaaneshi around the Realms have been amazing but short and always end up with Hedonites loosing.

I get that.  

GW needs to push unique aesthetic and they appear to be doing this with both Tzeentch and Slaanesh (Nurgle and Khorne mostly seem like Fantasy era styling still).  Otherwise they'll get stuck for still be clones of Michael Moorcock, LotR of the 1970s and Conan.  So while at first things aren't quite the direction I would expect it settles in well.  

I'm also an old ****** whose Slaanesh army is 99% Juan Diaz sculpts.  Even my Masque is an old metal one which I hate compared to the new one but,.. mmm well cash strapped also 😉  So I'm unlikely to jump into a lot of new kits.  Even if I get that Glutos I'll use old metal daemonettes.  

3 hours ago, Overread said:

On the short story front I think BL is still reeling from the loss of Josh Reynolds who could put out volume and quality and clearly really got the setting at both the god end and the small person end of the structure.

I hope so.  I read a Josh Reynolds Slaanesh novel where the Beastlord was exceptionally touched by Slaanesh and had some guide and tutelage from a Chaos Lord.  There was also a good Sylvaneth vs Slaanesh short story from maybe a year ago.  BL mostly screws up announcements.  If there is a short story with a good antagonist from an army I play they only detail the protagonists.  I've emailed them several times saying "I would have bought this book had you given us a clue about both factions involved since I'm a fan of both" and like the monolithic ignorance of giant corporations they've ignored that and continued to plod along clueless.   

• Like 2

I said before that I am in love with literally entire release.  I adore the new models.

My concern is perhaps a bit foolish, but for example that artpiece showing palanquin model is done in art style where details are not emphasized.  We are Hedonites, devil is in the details. Thus I hope we get a better artpiece of palanquin model as whole.

I love the new Exalted Steeds, would just love to see that purple seahorse model in art. Once again, perhaps this is a stupid trivia to wish.

That being said, no new BL books dedicated to Slaanesh? Those are bad news.

One of my favorite WHFB books is Sigvald by Darius Hinks. A beautiful exploration of various aspects of Slaanesh. I was hoping we get a novel dedicated solely to Hedonites, but alas I guess not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I hope so.  I read a Josh Reynolds Slaanesh novel where the Beastlord was exceptionally touched by Slaanesh and had some guide and tutelage from a Chaos Lord.  There was also a good Sylvaneth vs Slaanesh short story from maybe a year ago.  BL mostly screws up announcements.  If there is a short story with a good antagonist from an army I play they only detail the protagonists.  I've emailed them several times saying "I would have bought this book had you given us a clue about both factions involved since I'm a fan of both" and like the monolithic ignorance of giant corporations they've ignored that and continued to plod along clueless.   

Name of those short stories? So I can check if I have read them or not.

That Beastlord maybe albino lion headed Ghosteater?

14 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

I said before that I am in love with literally entire release.  I adore the new models.

My concern is perhaps a bit foolish, but for example that artpiece showing palanquin model is done in art style where details are not emphasized.  We are Hedonites, devil is in the details. Thus I hope we get a better artpiece of palanquin model as whole.

I love the new Exalted Steeds, would just love to see that purple seahorse model in art. Once again, perhaps this is a stupid trivia to wish.

That being said, no new BL books dedicated to Slaanesh? Those are bad news.

One of my favorite WHFB books is Sigvald by Darius Hinks. A beautiful exploration of various aspects of Slaanesh. I was hoping we get a novel dedicated solely to Hedonites, but alas I guess not.

I wouldn't be too concerned based on that one piece. The palanquin is effectively part of the background, with the focus on the symbaresh and myrmadesh in the foreground. As a digital artist myself, the further into the background something goes, the more gestural the details tend to become. If you look closely at any piece of art, especially digital concept art and really zoom into the background, you'll find that the brush strokes are a bit looser and the details far more vague. It's just not efficient to fine-grain every part of a busy piece like this, and it also would be kind of overwhelming to the eye to have everything as detailed as the focal points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sorrow said:

Name of those short stories? So I can check if I have read them or not.

That Beastlord maybe albino lion headed Ghosteater?

Yeah Ghosteater.   If I had a spare beastlord I would paint him up albino.  I don't recall him being lion headed, was he?  

The Denied is a Josh Reynolds short audio drama about a slaanesh named character whom he brought back to kill.  

hmm i cannot find the others, sorry.  In a meeting and gleaning my iBooks which after I remove the downloads are a bit harder to find.  Or maybe I bought them through my computer and copied the ebook file over.

5 hours ago, Sorrow said:

Symbaresh and Painbringers look utterly amazing artwork.

I am truly hoping we get more artwork of Glutos model, for that one art piece, due to its artistic style, leave the entire palanquin model devoid of numerous details that actual palanquin model has.  If that is going to be the sole art piece for Glutos and palanquin model, that is a disappointment.

The art showing Exalted Steeds is good, though the Exalted Steeds come across as velociraptors, not the beautiful purple seahorses.  OSemk1qXSacq7hNi.png.2476cfca9dbbf71ca3fe66d07c66fdc7.png

Sigvald art is okay, I suppose. Model looks better.

Lore is rather strange, since I was hoping that big lore part of AOS 3 was going to be Slaanesh/Newborn, and Sigvald taking the fight to Nagash like Teclis is not particularly promising.

I am tagging the following users since I would really love to hear their opinion on my thoughts in this post.

@Enoby @CeleFAZE@Overread@Popisdead@SorryLizard@Klamm

I agree with CeleFAZE (I think they said this - I'm replying on the other page!) that Glutos was meant to be in the background of that picture and I'm sure they'll have a better one of just him. If I were to guess, I'd say this artwork will be on the inside folds of the book. 

You're right that they look more like dinosaurs in this art, but I really like that look to them as well. I think it gives them a predatory look that the normal seekers just don't have. 

As for lore, I do agree that it feels like we're not getting as much attention as expected for the escape of Slaanesh, and the high possibility that AoS 3 will be Destruction themed. However, I have a feeling that the Newborn is just another (large) step to Slaanesh's freedom and we're not at that narrative event yet. It's a shame we're being dragged into another VS Nagash (which feels more impersonal than aelves) like everyone else, but ah well, it will likely mean a greater lore presence later. 

I think Chaos as a whole suffers from a lack of protagonists in Black Library content. Khorne has had some PoV books (two I think) but they're tiny in number compared to where they're an antagonist. Unfortunately writers struggle to write Chaos (or get told not to) so books are usually from an Order perspective. I'd love to have a book on one of our named characters to flesh them out more.

Glutos in that short story seemed interesting - especially as he spoke, everyone (bar Sigvald) looked down  as if they were scared. Maybe his entourage often become his entrèes if they get in his way.

One thing I did notice was that the lady was called a priestess - does this mean prayers?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Lucentia

You were right, the person on the right part of Glutos palanquin does indeed hold some form of incense.

@CeleFAZE

Regarding new story,  both Sigvald and Glutos are told to work together towards same goal. Thinking back on Hateful Stasis story,  the goals align.

Geld-Prince. Lord of Gluttony. Enough. Your squabbles avail the Dark Prince not. Make for the howling lands, where the glimmering spear mirrors past and future. There will the banquet be laid out.

Either Excelsis or Shysh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Popisdead said:

Yeah Ghosteater.   If I had a spare beastlord I would paint him up albino.  I don't recall him being lion headed, was he?  

The Denied is a Josh Reynolds short audio drama about a slaanesh named character whom he brought back to kill.  

hmm i cannot find the others, sorry.  In a meeting and gleaning my iBooks which after I remove the downloads are a bit harder to find.  Or maybe I bought them through my computer and copied the ebook file over.

If memory serves, he was indeed a albino lion headed Beastman. Quite a philosophical one, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I agree with CeleFAZE (I think they said this - I'm replying on the other page!) that Glutos was meant to be in the background of that picture and I'm sure they'll have a better one of just him. If I were to guess, I'd say this artwork will be on the inside folds of the book. 

You're right that they look more like dinosaurs in this art, but I really like that look to them as well. I think it gives them a predatory look that the normal seekers just don't have. 

As for lore, I do agree that it feels like we're not getting as much attention as expected for the escape of Slaanesh, and the high possibility that AoS 3 will be Destruction themed. However, I have a feeling that the Newborn is just another (large) step to Slaanesh's freedom and we're not at that narrative event yet. It's a shame we're being dragged into another VS Nagash (which feels more impersonal than aelves) like everyone else, but ah well, it will likely mean a greater lore presence later. 

I think Chaos as a whole suffers from a lack of protagonists in Black Library content. Khorne has had some PoV books (two I think) but they're tiny in number compared to where they're an antagonist. Unfortunately writers struggle to write Chaos (or get told not to) so books are usually from an Order perspective. I'd love to have a book on one of our named characters to flesh them out more.

Glutos in that short story seemed interesting - especially as he spoke, everyone (bar Sigvald) looked down  as if they were scared. Maybe his entourage often become his entrèes if they get in his way.

One thing I did notice was that the lady was called a priestess - does this mean prayers?

Enoby, you are a gem of this forum.

I think that priestess is the one holding a incense on right part of palanquin. Possibly.

I can not wait to get my hands on new battletome. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, CeleFAZE said:

Anyone read the newest short story?

Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It gives us some interesting insights into what we might be able to expect from Sigvald and Glutos, and I think we see at least some glimpse of the form the Newborn might take.

Thanks so much for pointing this out, I had no idea whatsoever it existed!

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

He really is.  A champion of Slaanesh among all the ups and downs and we need more stalwart good people as WAAC players come and go.  Also always a voice of positivity.  

Agreed. They really drive not only this subforum, but create a number of great discussion threads in the general AoS forum as well. It's always great to see so much positivity online, and really overall I find the Slaanesh community here to be an amazing bunch of people.

Here's hoping we get something new to discuss rules-wise soon.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks for all of the kind words guys - they really mean a lot!

7 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Think we’re getting the preorder this weekend? I got about $350 set aside for this. 

I think we'll get the announcement for preorders this Sunday, then the rules and lore etc throughout the week, then the preorder itself on Saturday. 

Can't wait to see the rules!

I do think we may get prayers - we'd have two priests, assuming the priestess is an actual priest keyword - and that's about the same as Khorne. Obviously one would be tied to a named character, but the warshrine would still get a pick.

• Like 2

I just hope Sigvald isn't crazily priced. Single centerpice model on probably a 60mm base...

Anyway, I plan on keeping any initial purchases small. I don't like having a huge backlog of stuff to paint (and lockdwn has helped me work through years of collecting stuff and not getting round to it so would like to keep it under control!) so will probably get Sigvald and a box of Myrmidesh.

Ultimately I want ~1kpts of Mortal Hedonites (excluding Sigvald) to bolt on to my 1k StD mortals to play games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SorryLizard said:

I just hope Sigvald isn't crazily priced. Single centerpice model on probably a 60mm base...

Anyway, I plan on keeping any initial purchases small. I don't like having a huge backlog of stuff to paint (and lockdwn has helped me work through years of collecting stuff and not getting round to it so would like to keep it under control!) so will probably get Sigvald and a box of Myrmidesh.

Ultimately I want ~1kpts of Mortal Hedonites (excluding Sigvald) to bolt on to my 1k StD mortals to play games.

I personally plan on getting the battletome before the bulk of my new mortals. While I love the new look of things, I'd rather build towards something, and knowing what the new rules are, battalions especially, will guide that significantly.

28 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

I personally plan on getting the battletome before the bulk of my new mortals. While I love the new look of things, I'd rather build towards something, and knowing what the new rules are, battalions especially, will guide that significantly.

Also a good approach. I tend to wait for the first FAQ before planning armies and instead just focus on the models I like.

Doesn't stop me reading all the discussion the moment the book drops of course :D

• Like 1

To be honest I will probably just get one of everything :P I'm not too bothered about how strong every single warscroll is because the people I play against aren't very competitive at all,  and from experience react poorly to strong units (so I've been using chaos warriors, knights, and beastmen). That said, I do hope our book is good but more importantly interesting. 

I really like the Lumineth allegiance abilities and how they allow changes in strategy mid game. I hope our allegiance abilities are responsive.    

• Like 2