AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

I see Myrmidesh being an anvil unit - think Chaos Warriors but even tougher (4+ or 5+ shrug against everything, not just mortals, probably 3 wounds each) and Twinsouls being a blender unit with a whole bunch of either Rend -2 or Damage 2 attacks. 

My hope is for a rebalancing of things. You should have multiple paths in a book in how you want to go. There shouldn't be a clear cut "this is the answer". Take the keeper, its pretty much you take the claw.... or you take the claw... and if you feeling spicy... claw. Some units just aren't worth taking due to cost, such as fiends. 

I'd like to be able to play either a full demon army or full mortal army and not feel I've gimped myself by my choice. 

• Like 1

Does anyone think our Fane will change, or will it still give heroes a reroll to hit? 

It's not a bad ability, just doesn't feel particularly integrated, though it's certainly not the most problematic thing in our current book. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Does anyone think our Fane will change, or will it still give heroes a reroll to hit? 

It's not a bad ability, just doesn't feel particularly integrated, though it's certainly not the most problematic thing in our current book. 

It would be nice to see it get a little more impactful. Maybe it could be the focal point for alternate abilities beyond just summoning. Like at the start it gives a 6 inch aura of extra attacks, and every 12 depravity it gets 6" bigger. At a threshold it also gives reroll 1s to hit, then to wound, then +1 rend, etc. Once you spend your points you reset and the aura goes back to normal. 

Or maybe if they rework depravity generation they could make it more important. Like depravity generation is doubled if the wounds are caused wholly within 18". That would give the feel of your army frolicking around this focal point and trying to show off to get more attention from the daemon. 

Edited by Grimrock

They won't start doing rule previews until it is announced for preorder. So if sunday comes around and it's announced that we go on preorder on 30th, then next week we start getting articles. However, GW tends to have really vague language when it comes to when something releases. You hear February and you think "Oh the models release in February, thats easy!" but GW at times has counted pre-order as release. Recall Orktober when they hyped up the new Ork kits. They went on preorder like the last possible saturday that month and the Speed Freaks! box came in november. It was a joke, but it just told us that release means preorder date, not when you'll actually get the models in your hand. We could be very well looking at valentines day.  

I'm hoping this sunday is preorder announcement, but I'm prepping to wait more.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:37 AM, Enoby said:

I play BoC as well and that terrain piece is quiet possibly the best terrain piece in the game.  ,.. for one of the worst armies haha.  The Fane has always seemed entirely lackluster....  I hope it gets a re-write.

13 hours ago, Enoby said:

With this reveal on Saturday being a pretty big one (and very likely without any Slaanesh releases), when do you think we'll hear any news on our rules?

6 hours ago, Carnith said:

They won't start doing rule previews until it is announced for preorder. So if sunday comes around and it's announced that we go on preorder on 30th, then next week we start getting articles. 

I've noticed as well it's a 1 week lead up after announcement.  I haven't paid much attention to when during the month things are announced.  What Carnith speaks of regarding Orktober seemed to be  unique for either,.. I guess people expected a month of Ork stuff and possibly they did drag their knuckles on the release.  Also Orks are SUPER popular and always a fan favourite.  We have come to expect 31 days of green in October so our perception may have changed as to what GW actually does for every army.  Do we really warrant 11/12th of a year?  As an Ork player I heartily say yes.

While I'm not a big fan of leaks I'm not sure if we got more because of the potato-camera photos or GW actually wanted to have this big splash release.  It feels like Slaanesh has gotten some notable publicity for this release,.. or well,. maybe due to covid this is how it is?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 3:05 AM, Koala said:

Well, the experience teaches that in AoS 2.0 "new ist always better". So i am less concerned with the viabity of the Army as a whole than the inner balance within the Battletome.

The current one is horrible at that. 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:31 AM, Overread said:

Agreed. Right now the current tome just wants you to take multiwound leaders and not much else. 

I hope the new one doesn't end up "Well you can take demons but really you just want lots of mortals". 

On 1/18/2021 at 5:04 AM, Enoby said:

I hope the battletome isn't as dire as CeleFaze's predictions;

One thing to take with a grain of salt is our book could be built with AoS 3.0 in mind (wish listing).  Out of the gate it may not be as obvious.  We're also with the kangaroo leaks, and Slaanesh seeing Cavalry return in a form relatively unseen until now (Hellstriders being a tax).

Just,.. wish listing the armybook has good internal and external balance.  Also that Slaangors can be in a BoC list :D 

3.0 could be a thing, certainly this would be the first book since 2.0 that's a repeat of an existing faction. However it depends if 3.0 is on the horizon (GW has no problem updating books within an edition when there's a big meaty addition like the one coming for Slaanesh) and also what changes between 2.0 and 3.0.

The curious thing is that GW isn't making any noise about 3.0 right now. If they were starting 3.0 books I'd be expecting to hear hints of 3.0 on the horizon; though we might get details this coming weekend. This makes me consider that it could be a 3.0 book but that 3.0 isn't actually going to change much in how armies work and function, or that its not a 3.0 book and that 3.0 is further off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I play BoC as well and that terrain piece is quiet possibly the best terrain piece in the game.  ,.. for one of the worst armies haha.  The Fane has always seemed entirely lackluster....  I hope it gets a re-write

I agree. It feels like they were "forced" to put a terrain feature in without a good idea of what it should do. I like the idea of bargaining with a daemon, but I hope it's not just rerolling hits or take MWs. Maybe it can provide buffs for a price to any unit (though hopefully not ridiculous buffs and the price not just being MWs).

1 minute ago, Overread said:

3.0 could be a thing, certainly this would be the first book since 2.0 that's a repeat of an existing faction. However it depends if 3.0 is on the horizon (GW has no problem updating books within an edition when there's a big meaty addition like the one coming for Slaanesh) and also what changes between 2.0 and 3.0.

The curious thing is that GW isn't making any noise about 3.0 right now. If they were starting 3.0 books I'd be expecting to hear hints of 3.0 on the horizon; though we might get details this coming weekend. This makes me consider that it could be a 3.0 book but that 3.0 isn't actually going to change much in how armies work and function, or that its not a 3.0 book and that 3.0 is further off.

I wonder what changes 3.0 will actually bring. Obviously if we see something crazy rulewise in our new book it could be a clue (like the Nurgle scenery before AoS 2), but if not I'm not really sure what they'll add in AoS 3. There's quite a bit people don't like about AoS 2, but few can agree with what exactly they don't like; battleshock, double turn, mortal wound spam, shooting, hordes - all stuff people have strong opinions on that might not really appear in our battletome as a rules change. 

I think hoards will remain for now because its a cornerstone of how too many small armies work and I don't think GW wants to end up with a game of tiny armies. If anything over time I would expect to see armies get a little bigger every so often as reflecting more of the community having bigger collections and armies having more and more variety of models and options - therefore players wanting to use more of their toys. We've seen this with 40K and honestly most other wargames over the years - even Warmachine has grown since its early days. 

I'd like to see some rules move around and vanish (looking at you double turn); I'd also like to see things like terrain become disconnected to GW's warscroll system and get back a bit of the old school style terrain elements. I'd like to see flying units split into two kinds - full time flying and short term flying. Eg drawing a line between say a KO airship that's in the sky all the time and a Khinerai which can pick and choose and can be in the air or on the ground. It would be neat to see flight as a separate area and broadening the power for a ranged flight unit that can fire whilst in the air but is impervious to ground attacks against it - however that might be a touch too powerful when quite a few factions lack good ranged options right now. 

But I think if we go too far down this 3.0 rabbit hole we are going to stray and wander off Slaanesh. 

Heck fingers crossed maybe we get some news this weekend (I'm not banking on it though but it wouldn't shock me if GW had another little thing up their sleeve for Slaanesh in the new book)

10 hours ago, Overread said:

Heck fingers crossed maybe we get some news this weekend (I'm not banking on it though but it wouldn't shock me if GW had another little thing up their sleeve for Slaanesh in the new book)

Assuming we get a release in February (and not a preview at the end and a release in March), and preorders are only every two weeks, we had the Deathguard preorder on the 17th, which either leaves our preorder to the 31st (for an early February release on the 7th), or the 14th (a rather fitting date really for a later release on the 21st). The earlier the better for me, but I'm expecting the 14th rather than the 31st or 28th. That said, I'm hoping we might get two weeks of previews with hopefully some rules shown sooner rather than later.

Just Realised that all Mymidesh painbringer, falters and the shardspeeker all have a potion at their belt, i am pretty sure there is going to be a drug mechanic link to these potion ! what are your thoughts ? A once per battle ability that boost the number of attack/ strengh somthing like that,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyPippa said:

Just Realised that all Mymidesh painbringer, falters and the shardspeeker all have a potion at their belt, i am pretty sure there is going to be a drug mechanic link to these potion ! what are your thoughts ? A once per battle ability that boost the number of attack/ strengh somthing like that,

Ooh that'd be a cool idea. Tbh, something like Aetherquartz mixed with Fyreslayer runes, but with a debuff would be cool. So for example, you choose which drug to take, which come with a downside, but you can choose to take it in excess for a better bonus but a greater penalty.

17 hours ago, Enoby said:

I agree. It feels like they were "forced" to put a terrain feature in without a good idea of what it should do. I like the idea of bargaining with a daemon, but I hope it's not just rerolling hits or take MWs. Maybe it can provide buffs for a price to any unit (though hopefully not ridiculous buffs and the price not just being MWs).

I agree.  It was just,. ugh,ham fisted mechanic.  

17 hours ago, Overread said:

I think hoards will remain for now because its a cornerstone of how too many small armies work and I don't think GW wants to end up with a game of tiny armies.

I often wonder about Hordes.  40k went smaller boards and while GW loves selling models it approaches too close to the failing mechanic of 8th ed where you needed too much to get into the game.  I also think AoS and now 40k need some reworking.  For example I would like to see Gors and Ork boyz go 2W and unit sizes of 10-20 and ungors and grots respectively as the Horde mechanic of 20-40 models.  Otherwise hordes tend to lose out to which point-per-value is better.  

1 hour ago, HolyPippa said:

While it's cool, I hope it's like Waystones for Eldar or Soulpods for Sylvaneth and an aesthetic thing.  Because it means my large daemon collection doesn't get it and ... won't.  I don't want to buy a mortal army to play Slaanesh I want it to be balanced across the board properly.

7 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

While it's cool, I hope it's like Waystones for Eldar or Soulpods for Sylvaneth and an aesthetic thing.  Because it means my large daemon collection doesn't get it and ... won't.  I don't want to buy a mortal army to play Slaanesh I want it to be balanced across the board properly.

What if daemons got something else, like their locus? So long as they were roughly balanced

16 hours ago, Popisdead said:

100% all for it :P  I just know GW's habits 😉  

Yeah, you're probably right - I'm pretty nervous about this book, in all honesty. I don't want to be too dour on predictions, and I think we'll have some powerful tricks, but I'm sure we'll have some duds and I'm worried these duds will be our coolest models or suspiciously the old daemon models. 

If I'm going to take a guess of what'll be surprisingly good or bad in our battletome, going off the info we already know and just generally what's good in AoS.

Above the curve

Blissbarb archers on foot: shooting in general is very strong en masse, so these guys have the potential to be our strongest unit. If they give them mortal wounds on 6s, they will likely be a spammy unit in the same vein as Lumineth archers

Painbringers: I'm not totally sure on this one, but if they get that 4+ ward save as seen in our Underworlds warband, then I think they'll be here for the same reason Hearthguard are good - they're impossible to get rid of.

Glutos: based off how strong magic has been in AoS recently, and how the last magic focussed model can dominate the phase, I think Glutos will have been created to not fold to the likes of Teclis (though not be as good as them either); I'm not sure what their rules will be, but GW make a conscious effort to ensure big caster can actually cast (besides Alarialle...) so I think Glutos will receive the same treatment as well as a revamped spell lore

Below the curve

Slaangors: I really like them, but they fall into the dangerous territory of 'mega-elite', and they likely only have a 4+ to hit. By mega-elite, I mean things like minotaurs, fiends, brutes - stuff that's usually expensive points wise with about 2-4 wounds. They often struggle to find a niche 

Daemonettes: I feel they won't change and they'll remain subpar compared to maruaders 

Most of our chariots, bar the exalted one: they just always get the short end of the stick, no reason to think this time will be different :P

Hellstriders: if they aren't battleline, they'll likely just be less damaging versions of Slickblades. If they are battleline, they'll likely be competing against blissbarb archers which will probably end up better. They're not in a good place now and I think GW and fans prefer the new seekers

---

It sounds dire, but I think most of our units will fall in the decent to good area, with a few outliers. The biggest issue we'll face is our allegiance abilities, like before. As long as they provide about equal benefit to everyone, I think we'll do well. 

I am curious why so many ppl here assume the archers might get a mortal wound mechanic. From the fluff talk i expect some kind of movement/debuff thing. 

Agreed on the Slaangors, i fear they will be "awesome in theory but to fragile in practice", as are so many comparable Units.J

JustImagine if "making pacts at the fane" was THE major faction bonus. Not exploding 6s or giving ASL . Some huge buffs but risky. Like "have to do x untill your next Hero Phase or the hero dies". Greed! Pride! Spite ( by the enemy who ofc wants to deny you that)

Man, that would be interesting! 

8 minutes ago, Koala said:

I am curious why so many ppl here assume the archers might get a mortal wound mechanic. From the fluff talk i expect some kind of movement/debuff thing. 

For me, it's mostly based of their ability in Underworlds, but that does include the rest of the crew so might not mean anything. Also because Lumineth have it an GW occasionally get into strange design patterns where an ability appears for a few battletomes. Not sure if it'll happen here (I hope it doesn't), but it might. 

I would much prefer a movement or debuff mechanic. 

13 minutes ago, Koala said:

Agreed on the Slaangors, i fear they will be "awesome in theory but to fragile in practice", as are so many comparable Units

I hope they have some sort of special rule that differentiates them from just being a fragile bruiser in an army of fragile bruisers. Not sure what exactly, but maybe some sort of way to make them useful after death to play into their fragility, or maybe some way that other surrounding models buff them (as apparently some see them as avatars).

17 minutes ago, Koala said:

JustImagine if "making pacts at the fane" was THE major faction bonus. Not exploding 6s or giving ASL . Some huge buffs but risky. Like "have to do x untill your next Hero Phase or the hero dies". Greed! Pride! Spite ( by the enemy who ofc wants to deny you that)

Man, that would be interesting! 

I'd like something more active like this, so long as we didn't end up requiring our scenery in a particular place to make it useful, like Sylvaneth. That said, I'm always up for a more active system than what we currently have. I still like exploding 6s for a simple and good allegiance ability, but some abilities that have choices involved would be great.