AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

2 hours ago, Klamm said:

On a completely different note, what are thoughts on the vaguely Persian motiff of the new minis?

I think the aesthetic works really well, but there's some unintended orientalism that hampers my full enjoyment.

I'm not just throwing that term around, Edward Said's concept is specifically that of the Asiatic Orient being construed as wilder, sexually deviant, decadent yet savage compared to the civilising influence of the Occident (the colonising west). Like, the cultural pastiche of eastern influences in the Cypher Lords or Scions of the Flame is great, but it's kinda weird how this is mostly limited to chaos. Set against the Germanic aesthetic of the old freeguild range, you're getting this accidental Order = Occident and Chaos = Orient vibe.

Don't jump down my throat, I'm not saying anyone's wrong to like them (and anyway, *I* really like them). 

Probably the thing that would go a long way to fixing that would be mixing up the cultural influences of Freeguild models when they get updated. That's gonna happen anyway since GW has moved away from the old world approach of committing to a single cultural archetype (like Bretonnians or Tomb Kings). 

It's kinda like with Daughters of Khaine, it would be very weird if the only female representation in the game was 'bloodthirsty bikini babes'. But in the last couple years GW has released many women minis which aren't just that. The issue wasn't so much with DoK but the context that surrounded them.

Same thing with the new Slaanesh models. Love the non-European aesthetic, would love it even more if it wasn't reserved just for chaos cultists.

While I definitely get what you mean, and it possibly could have been the reason for their Persian inspired design, I think it may be for a more simple reason in the case of these new Slaanesh models. While quite a blunt reason, I think it's because someone really liked King Xerxes in 300 when they designed Syll'eske and they designed the mortal range off that. Yeah it sounds dumb but I think it's not too unlikely that someone just said "that looks cool" and thought no further into the more subtle implications.

That said, in a more general sense you're right that Chaos tends to have a much more diverse cast compared to order humans. This might be because Chaos has far more new humans than Order does and they've gotten the chance to be more creative. That said, I saw Lumineth to be more eastern inspired with a bit of Greek inspiration too. And I'd say the general look of Slaves to Darkness is OTT vikings.

16 minutes ago, Enoby said:

While I definitely get what you mean, and it possibly could have been the reason for their Persian inspired design, I think it may be for a more simple reason in the case of these new Slaanesh models. While quite a blunt reason, I think it's because someone really liked King Xerxes in 300 when they designed Syll'eske and they designed the mortal range off that.

My brother showed me the reprint of an old Space Marine comic in which Blood Angels fight through each realm of chaos (on a planet). It‘s called Blood-something.

The Slaanesh city was an Arabic city even back then.

• Like 1

Just now, JackStreicher said:

My brother showed me the reprint of an old Space Marine comic in which Blood Angels fight through each realm of chaos (on a planet). It‘s called Blood-something.

The Slaanesh city was an Arabic city even back then.

That's very interesting. I've always associated Slaanesh with a 'Greek-ish' theme until recently, with the Hellstrider helmets and the Chaos Lord on Boobsnake's helmet. I personally really like both Persian and Greek aesthetics. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:35 PM, Klamm said:

Nice conversion! You'll get some good adornment spares from the keeper kit. I grabbed a pack of gems from greenstuff world to Slaaneshi-ify my various conversions. Depends what facet of slaanesh you want to focus on, I like the gleam but sounds like you want the mutilations.

The hellstrider kit might be a good addition. Not only can the shields be used for armour plating but I notice your bull is missing a tail and the tendrils of hellstrider whips might be perfect.

I've considered doing elk head slaanesh bullgors, horse heads would work nicely, like a Slaaneshi Sorry to Bother You. I was gonna use crypt horrors for the base because they're nicer sculpts and a bit lither but perhaps it's not your bag.

Also, if you do get a ghorgon, you can use the spares from the keeper of secrets to kitbash a more bestial greater Daemon. Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure about the mutilation angle, that's why I was asking for ideas. It's always the case that I like what I sculpted and don't want to change it, I guess, but for the bull I'm thinking about mostly no decoration but his physique - line the golden calf or a prize bull of the Warherd. I'm just unsure if that'd be boring with just a fancy ring/piercing and maybe some gemstones and carvings on his horns. Maybe one of those piercing chains going from his nose to his  horns similiar to the KoS? For the tail I have both a sculpted regular bull one and a big rat tail with a small spiked ball at the end (from Bonebreaker I think). Not yet sure which I'll use, the rat one is freaky looking, which might be a  nice contrast to an otherwise "plain" model.

Great tip with the feral Ghorgon Keeper, I'll probably get SC BoC for the Bestigors and more Ungors (bought one of the mixed BoC boxes back in...6th Edition) and while I don't like the anatomy of the Ghorgon with a Keeper headswap and new shoulders he might actually be cool.

Now to the revealed models. So tasty. Those gigantic seahorse steeds look expensive. I'm surprised that  they come in units of five, but the Slaangors are three to a box - those don't even look like they have a ton of options! The Slaangors probably aren't E2B, either, so I'm really wondering at the price GW will be asking for them. With a small but maybe kit the rules might be pretty good, though ;)

Overall I hope that mortals plus BoC is a decent enough army. And that including a Depravity Drove is still possibly, of course. Daemons are ok, but the current deamonettes not really my cup of tea to build and paint dozens of them (and my Diaznettes collection is rather small).

Re: Greco-Slaanesh, I really dig the Lors on Steed GW killed and got it for Christmas. 

I want a unit or two of spear and shield dudes and dudettes in his style (hello Hellstrider bits), but what to use them as? Ungors? 

Dream:

KoS, heroes, one or two units of Painbringers, couple of archers, both kinds of new riders, Slaangors and a  "Warherd" Drove.

PS: someone bought the last Twisting Catacombs Minotaur General, so I'll have to wait for a restock for my Moo-notaurs. Boooh.

Edited by Binabik15
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Enoby said:

That's very interesting. I've always associated Slaanesh with a 'Greek-ish' theme until recently, with the Hellstrider helmets and the Chaos Lord on Boobsnake's helmet. I personally really like both Persian and Greek aesthetics. 

It's really more of Frank Miller's reimagining of the Persian aesthetic than anything rooted in history, to be honest. A number of the design cues I've noticed seem to come from all over the Middle East and South Asian regions, and I'd be hard-pressed to really find one specific culture to point to as a sole focus. If anything from a historical perspective the weaponry and garb seem to draw more from Indian and Arabian sources, with a splash of Roman gladiatorial wear combined with modern bondage aesthetic. The heavier infantry also seem to have more in common with European armor designs than anything else, as ornate articulated plate armor generally was utilized more in those regions.

Edited by CeleFAZE
  • Like 3

I know everyone wants to see a depravity points change, but do people want to see any changes in the other allegiance abilities? 

Personally, I like the locus and exploding 6s, but I'd like to see something more interactive with our play style,  for example something that encourages us to charge, something that encourages us to attack first, and something that encourages us to attack last. Things that don't dictate what models we bring, but rather give us tools when we play the game. For example, rerolling failed hits/hits of 1 when attacking a unit that hasn't attacked yet, and getting +1 attack/+1 damage/+1 to wound etc when the unit has suffered one or more wounds in that phase. Things that make us ask important questions during the game, rather than having it figured out in list building. 

I didn't play Lumineth for long, but my favourite thing about them was by far the way their aetherquartz ability allowed you to play reactively. 

39 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I know everyone wants to see a depravity points change, but do people want to see any changes in the other allegiance abilities? 

Personally, I like the locus and exploding 6s, but I'd like to see something more interactive with our play style,  for example something that encourages us to charge, something that encourages us to attack first, and something that encourages us to attack last. Things that don't dictate what models we bring, but rather give us tools when we play the game. For example, rerolling failed hits/hits of 1 when attacking a unit that hasn't attacked yet, and getting +1 attack/+1 damage/+1 to wound etc when the unit has suffered one or more wounds in that phase. Things that make us ask important questions during the game, rather than having it figured out in list building. 

I didn't play Lumineth for long, but my favourite thing about them was by far the way their aetherquartz ability allowed you to play reactively. 

This sounds a lot like how Tzaangor Enlightened/Skyfires work, and I'd be all for it. There's not a lot of tactical decision making with our current allegiance abilities, it's all just about piling on the pain as much as possible before opponents can hit back which honestly seems counter-intuitive to the intent of the Depravity rules (wherein it's about pain received as much as pain inflicted.) Give us cool ways to power up our units at the expense of having to suffer damage first in the vein of the Tzeentch schemes. I'm also personally hoping they change the Locus rule back to a 4+ but remove the bonus for Greater Daemons, and now that we have some shooting units, allow the exploding 6s to affect ranged attacks too. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

This sounds a lot like how Tzaangor Enlightened/Skyfires work, and I'd be all for it. There's not a lot of tactical decision making with our current allegiance abilities, it's all just about piling on the pain as much as possible before opponents can hit back which honestly seems counter-intuitive to the intent of the Depravity rules (wherein it's about pain received as much as pain inflicted.) Give us cool ways to power up our units at the expense of having to suffer damage first in the vein of the Tzeentch schemes. I'm also personally hoping they change the Locus rule back to a 4+ but remove the bonus for Greater Daemons, and now that we have some shooting units, allow the exploding 6s to affect ranged attacks too. 

Yeah, I think our current allegiance abilities are just nice 'extras'. As in, they're good but they don't impact much in game choices, besides from wondering what unit to use the locus on (which 99% of the time is just the strongest unit you're in combat with). 

You're right that we act like a blunt instrument at the moment. I remember the first games I had with Slaanesh basically all resolved in the same way - 3 or 4 KoS push forward, charge, locus, kill, summon.  I think it's also why there's not much in the way of tactical discussion on this thread. For those who don't know, there used to be a Hosts of Slaanesh thread that existed until a few days after the battletome and it had about 100 pages. Even though it had fewer choices due to the lack of a battetome, it felt like it there was more discussion as the army was more finesse based and there wasn't just one answer. While I imagine there were fewer Slaanesh players pre-battletome, I feel there's much less Slaanesh rules discussion post battletome because the battletome really only had a few things to talk about. I'm hoping this new battletome will bring more points of discussion to the table. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, I think our current allegiance abilities are just nice 'extras'. As in, they're good but they don't impact much in game choices, besides from wondering what unit to use the locus on (which 99% of the time is just the strongest unit you're in combat with). 

You're right that we act like a blunt instrument at the moment. I remember the first games I had with Slaanesh basically all resolved in the same way - 3 or 4 KoS push forward, charge, locus, kill, summon.  I think it's also why there's not much in the way of tactical discussion on this thread. For those who don't know, there used to be a Hosts of Slaanesh thread that existed until a few days after the battletome and it had about 100 pages. Even though it had fewer choices due to the lack of a battetome, it felt like it there was more discussion as the army was more finesse based and there wasn't just one answer. While I imagine there were fewer Slaanesh players pre-battletome, I feel there's much less Slaanesh rules discussion post battletome because the battletome really only had a few things to talk about. I'm hoping this new battletome will bring more points of discussion to the table. 

My thought reading this was that I am glad I waited for the mortals....

Having 3-4 KoS just doesn't sound fun.  But I am optimistic.   I think GW can do well with battletomes that have actual choice in models/units.  Its just this new 3-4 unit faction thing they are doing that really messes with the ability to have diversity in choice (which I suppose is obvious given the lack of diversity in choice...).

3 minutes ago, Austin said:

My thought reading this was that I am glad I waited for the mortals....

Having 3-4 KoS just doesn't sound fun.  But I am optimistic.   I think GW can do well with battletomes that have actual choice in models/units.  Its just this new 3-4 unit faction thing they are doing that really messes with the ability to have diversity in choice (which I suppose is obvious given the lack of diversity in choice...).

To be honest, while I love the Slaanesh aesthetic and story, rules wise you didn't miss out on much. Not to sound too much like a conspiracy theory, but considering all of the Slaanesh models in the 2019 release were heroes, I have a feeling the rules were written in mind to sell them (especially the KoS). It felt like the rules didn't have much variety or allow for lists without a KoS.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, Enoby said:

To be honest, while I love the Slaanesh aesthetic and story, rules wise you didn't miss out on much. Not to sound too much like a conspiracy theory, but considering all of the Slaanesh models in the 2019 release were heroes, I have a feeling the rules were written in mind to sell them (especially the KoS). It felt like the rules didn't have much variety or allow for lists without a KoS.

That's my thinking too - the troops of the army are good; nothing outstanding but nothing bad; its just not as good as the depravity generating leaders. What was somewhat worrying was the White Dwarf "mortals" army option that came out which gave you a 2x bubble around Syllesske for depravity generation. In theory I guess the designer thought "they'll take more mortals so give them a boost to depravity for that leader"; which then translates too "take that allegiance and get double depravity on your keepers!!!! ;) 

That said moving on toward the future I needy our help my fellow worshippers of excess and indulgence. So far my Host is standing proud with the following:

Spoiler

0 Keepers of Secrets
0 Exalted Keeper of Secrets
0 Shalaxi Helbane
1 Masque 
1 Contorted Epitome
1 Syll'esske 
3 Infernal Enraptures
1 Herald of Slaanesh (I wonder if this might be one of the new models that hasn't been revealed yet - would be nice and would remove the very last of Slaanesh Finecast)
1 Lord of Pain

3 Seeker Chariot 
1 Hellflayer Chariot 
2 Exalted Chariot

30 Daemonettes + command
20 Deamonettes no command
9 Fiends - plastic
7 Fiends - metal
20 Seekers + command
10 Seekers + command
Hellstriders - spears
Hellstriders - Scouges

I've held of on building the 10 hellstriders until the new book lands. 
That said I'm sitting here contemplating expanding things in the month before the big update. I'm torn between the following ideas:

1) Get a second Shadow and Pain box - building a second hellflayer; 10 more hellstrider options; completing the second group of Deamonettes with full command and taking up to a full 30. This sounds like the most affordable and sensible and the DoK content isn't really wasted either (the only part I likely don't need is more khinerai....)

2) A Keeper of Secrets - because its an outstanding model and unlikely to ever go away and something that I really do want to own

3) Push the budget some more and get an Exalted Keeper - because its an even more outstanding model that I've wanted for ages and keep putting off. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

That's my thinking too - the troops of the army are good; nothing outstanding but nothing bad; its just not as good as the depravity generating leaders. What was somewhat worrying was the White Dwarf "mortals" army option that came out which gave you a 2x bubble around Syllesske for depravity generation. In theory I guess the designer thought "they'll take more mortals so give them a boost to depravity for that leader"; which then translates too "take that allegiance and get double depravity on your keepers!!!! ;) 

That said moving on toward the future I needy our help my fellow worshippers of excess and indulgence. So far my Host is standing proud with the following:

Hide contents

0 Keepers of Secrets
0 Exalted Keeper of Secrets
0 Shalaxi Helbane
1 Masque 
1 Contorted Epitome
1 Syll'esske 
3 Infernal Enraptures
1 Herald of Slaanesh (I wonder if this might be one of the new models that hasn't been revealed yet - would be nice and would remove the very last of Slaanesh Finecast)
1 Lord of Pain

3 Seeker Chariot 
1 Hellflayer Chariot 
2 Exalted Chariot

30 Daemonettes + command
20 Deamonettes no command
9 Fiends - plastic
7 Fiends - metal
20 Seekers + command
10 Seekers + command
Hellstriders - spears
Hellstriders - Scouges

I've held of on building the 10 hellstriders until the new book lands. 
That said I'm sitting here contemplating expanding things in the month before the big update. I'm torn between the following ideas:

1) Get a second Shadow and Pain box - building a second hellflayer; 10 more hellstrider options; completing the second group of Deamonettes with full command and taking up to a full 30. This sounds like the most affordable and sensible and the DoK content isn't really wasted either (the only part I likely don't need is more khinerai....)

2) A Keeper of Secrets - because its an outstanding model and unlikely to ever go away and something that I really do want to own

3) Push the budget some more and get an Exalted Keeper - because its an even more outstanding model that I've wanted for ages and keep putting off. 

I’m in the same boat with my tzeentch I’ve been leery of getting the lord of change cause of costs and all I really need is one and a set of chaos warriors with some spawn.  Idk I feel it’s odd to me to have the centerpiece model before you have the rest of the army.  Painting all the different kinds of textures and colors I feel is going to really give me the skills to make the greater daemon the best looking model.

8 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

I’m in the same boat with my tzeentch I’ve been leery of getting the lord of change cause of costs and all I really need is one and a set of chaos warriors with some spawn.  Idk I feel it’s odd to me to have the centerpiece model before you have the rest of the army.  Painting all the different kinds of textures and colors I feel is going to really give me the skills to make the greater daemon the best looking model.

That's part of why I keep hesitating over big models - I'm no painter (one of my 2021 aims is to improve that) so I know any big model is going to be grey for a long while; but then again that's not much different to the rest at present ;). But yeah building and painting are skill areas and big models make you pause and wonder if you wait a few more months you'll be better at both and able to make them just that little bit better. 

10 more daemonettes wouldn't hurt. Who knows if they get some sort of buff. I would hope for a rewrite of our battalions. The Epicurean Revellers is super expensive for Daemonettes and while the chariot option is there, it can't fit the hero version which is a shame, and Fiends were slammed in there for being to be a 1 drop. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:20 AM, Enoby said:

I'd like to see a mechanic that rewards us for strange or highly specific playstyles. Call it "obsessions" and have it either generate depravity or provide a buff to a unit that fulfills it's obsession in that round. It could be like "obsession of pain: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gain +1 to damage dealt by all melee weapons while they are at or below half of their wounds characteristic" or "obsession of speed: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gains +1 to wound rolls until the end of the turn if they end their movement more than 10" from their starting position" or "obsession of beauty: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gains +1 to save if they do not move or charge until the end of the turn"

• Like 4

On 12/28/2020 at 4:19 AM, Klamm said:

On a completely different note, what are thoughts on the vaguely Persian motiff of the new minis?

I think the aesthetic works really well, but there's some unintended orientalism that hampers my full enjoyment.

I'm not just throwing that term around, Edward Said's concept is specifically that of the Asiatic Orient being construed as wilder, sexually deviant, decadent yet savage compared to the civilising influence of the Occident (the colonising west). Like, the cultural pastiche of eastern influences in the Cypher Lords or Scions of the Flame is great, but it's kinda weird how this is mostly limited to chaos. Set against the Germanic aesthetic of the old freeguild range, you're getting this accidental Order = Occident and Chaos = Orient vibe.

Don't jump down my throat, I'm not saying anyone's wrong to like them (and anyway, *I* really like them). 

Probably the thing that would go a long way to fixing that would be mixing up the cultural influences of Freeguild models when they get updated. That's gonna happen anyway since GW has moved away from the old world approach of committing to a single cultural archetype (like Bretonnians or Tomb Kings). 

It's kinda like with Daughters of Khaine, it would be very weird if the only female representation in the game was 'bloodthirsty bikini babes'. But in the last couple years GW has released many women minis which aren't just that. The issue wasn't so much with DoK but the context that surrounded them.

Same thing with the new Slaanesh models. Love the non-European aesthetic, would love it even more if it wasn't reserved just for chaos cultists.

I'm inclined to agree with you in saying only the "bad guy" factions like OBR or chaos get eastern aesthetics. While I like the persian look, I was hoping we'd still get some more greek/hellenic styled units like seen in the DoK art. I'd love to see Order get some non-western styled armies like a cities sub faction that follows the feudal japan aesthetic that the scions of the flame are derived from or a more Celtic styled force like old Albion from WHFB as either an order army or a destruction army that embodies freedom and rebellion outside of sigmar's control. And I'm certain there's a market for Arabian inspired armies even if they have to AoS'ify the aesthetic by making it an army of rakshasa rather than humans or something. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I'd like to see a mechanic that rewards us for strange or highly specific playstyles. Call it "obsessions" and have it either generate depravity or provide a buff to a unit that fulfills it's obsession in that round. It could be like "obsession of pain: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gain +1 to damage dealt by all melee weapons while they are at or below half of their wounds characteristic" or "obsession of speed: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gains +1 to wound rolls until the end of the turn if they end their movement more than 10" from their starting position" or "obsession of beauty: A unit/hero/army with this obsession gains +1 to save if they do not move or charge until the end of the turn"

I really like this idea - I think something that I gives us different ways to play in game with whatever we want is sorely needed. If I want to make a full elite troop army (with one or two buffing heroes), I shouldn't feel like I'm fighting against my allegiance ability. While we'll always have a 'best' option, we should feel as if we can create a variety of different armies and still perform okay because of decisions we make in game. 

Mostly I just want to see more army discussion that isn't "you're going to need more heroes". Things like weighing up the pros and cons of Two Souls vs Painbringers because they bring different things to the table, and making combos with our heroes buffing our troops.

I'd also like to see a complete rethink of our spell list. I remember one spell from the normal daemons list (Hysterical Frenzy) and the healing spell and Slothful Stupor from the greater daemon list. They weren't bad (the greater daemon spells were good if you could cast them), but they were a bit boring. There was very little interesting to buff our own units - no interesting little combos, just mortal wound bombs, healing, and a few debuffs that were hard to cast. I'd like to see more bringing in the pain and pleasure side on our own units; maybe even stuff that makes us take more damage for a bonus. Spells that make us faster, or provide interesting ways to interact with the board. I remember in the Sigvald novel, the sorcerer turned a brass door into curtains so the army could easily get into the keep - having a spell that allowed our army to ignore that bit of terrain would be situational but fun as a low cast. 

Any other ideas for spells?

Happy New Year from Australia, fellow Hedonites!
Today holds a very high chance of further Slaanesh reveals - the palanquin model, presumably - and our new release is close enough that I'm expecting some hype-building articles describing rules and lore sooner rather than later. Exciting times! Are we expecting any other Slaanesh models besides the palanquin? I'm holding out hope for a character mounted on a Seeker, but anything more than the palanquin model would be a very nice bonus.

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Happy New Year from Australia, fellow Hedonites!
Today holds a very high chance of further Slaanesh reveals - the palanquin model, presumably - and our new release is close enough that I'm expecting some hype-building articles describing rules and lore sooner rather than later. Exciting times! Are we expecting any other Slaanesh models besides the palanquin? I'm holding out hope for a character mounted on a Seeker, but anything more than the palanquin model would be a very nice bonus.

Happy new year!

It's a bit of a pipe dream, but I'm hoping we get the Newborn as a model. I'm not expecting it by any stretch, but it would be an awesome surprise.

8 hours ago, Enoby said:

I'd also like to see a complete rethink of our spell list. I remember one spell from the normal daemons list (Hysterical Frenzy) and the healing spell and Slothful Stupor from the greater daemon list. They weren't bad (the greater daemon spells were good if you could cast them), but they were a bit boring. There was very little interesting to buff our own units - no interesting little combos, just mortal wound bombs, healing, and a few debuffs that were hard to cast. I'd like to see more bringing in the pain and pleasure side on our own units; maybe even stuff that makes us take more damage for a bonus. Spells that make us faster, or provide interesting ways to interact with the board. I remember in the Sigvald novel, the sorcerer turned a brass door into curtains so the army could easily get into the keep - having a spell that allowed our army to ignore that bit of terrain would be situational but fun as a low cast. 

Any other ideas for spells?

I'd love the idea of risk/reward spells, seems very slaaneshi. Spells that are dirt easy to cast because they bring a buff and a debuff to the target unit. It'd let you make tradeoffs or gambits to cast on friendly or enemy units to further exploit a strength or weakness or to balance out a unit. Imagine something like "invoke pain: casts on a 4, target unit suffers -1 to hit but gains +1 to damage of melee weapons", "power beyond limits: casts on a 4, units gain +1 to wound but suffer a mortal wound for each missed attack as there body fails to contain their newfound strength" or "blood to quicksilver: casts on a 4, unit can run, retreat and charge but suffers -1 to save if they don't charge this turn"

• Like 1