AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

4 hours ago, Benkei said:

My point precisely is sex and sensuality = p enises and b oobs is a teen's point of view. I like all the new models as opposed to the pretty obvious old ones, that's why I think the cover is just a bad joke, it has nothing to do with being "oversensitive", so please come down off your high horse and your "how brave GW is by showing b oobs". You'll notice the new models are much more subtle, which makes them much more elegant, as Slaanesh should be.

Not liking a crudish and childish depiction of sexuality has nothing to do with being a puritan. 

Your reaction at something so simple tells me otherwise, I do believe the imagery on the cover was intentional, the artist wouldn't spend hours to do a piece like that without keenly being aware of what the image might invoke in people's heads.  It's far more subtle unlike creature caster who like to make models (you can like the models, buy them etc, if you like them you like them) so they can shove genitals and ****** everywhere, overloading the models with such details just to invoke a reaction.  Those models and its imagery is extremely edgy. In comparison to the cover which shows in a far more better fashion what Slaanesh is about.  Anyway, agree to disagree. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Benkei said:

If you think that cover is "subtle" I don't know what to tell you, and thank you for the patronizing. Must be a cultural thing about sex education. 

Cause I'm a believer in simplicity, it invokes a far more better reaction than something overdone. Right, if that was creature caster, instead of having a simple insinuation, instead of his mace, he would have his genitals there, front right and centre. It wouldn't be the male one, it would be a boob and through the nipple you would get probably another genital or more likely perhaps a hand. He wouldn't be wearing armour either, also let's make sure he is thrusting forward so people know for sure exactly what he is doing. I can go on. 

Instead, GW went for something like this, which in my opinion is far more tasteful, which clashes well with his body horror face. Let's not forget this is being put next to products, which is also commonly bought by children. As I said, agree to disagree. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xil said:

I don't get why it's Slaneeshii's turn again... Considering release order and balance there are others in need first. 

Nevertheless, I like the new Bow Riders, they look awesome. 

On the book? Despite my dislike of our current tome, Slaanesh needed a book at that point, if they didn't get one it would have been almost more than two years without one. In the past when the book came out, ironically I said GW were better off just waiting and releasing everything together, I'm sure Enoby recalls me saying that now that I 've bought it up. But I was wrong, people had collections and overall Slaanesh has been neglected for a long time. At that time, a book was needed to act as a stop-gap, that was what our current book was. 

Also bow riders look awesome, as Angrypanda said I'm sure some of the designers like the movie 300 or were at least inspired by it. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benkei said:

The current book has been so heavily FAQed and corrected it was time for a new one even if it hasn't been 2 years since the current one's release

Without splitting hairs too much (and sure, I'm stoked about the new tome) there wasn't much wrong with the 2019 tome, and the FAQs were less than many more recent factions. Nurgle were more deserving of a new tome, I think (and some new models) but in terms of lore I'm guessing AoS will have more of a focus on Slaanesh than  before, so it's warranted.

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Xil said:

I don't get why it's Slaneeshii's turn again... Considering release order and balance there are others in need first. 

Nevertheless, I like the new Bow Riders, they look awesome. 

While other battletomes do need an update too, Slaanesh's battletome was a mess from all angles. For example, Beasts of Chaos are very weak but their weak rules haven't been FAQ'd or added to so their book was no longer a reliable source. 

As Shinros said, our first book felt like a stop gap; I assume they didn't have all of the Slaanesh models ready, but they wanted to give Slaanesh something so it didn't sit in squalor for years - if it hadn't have gotten it's last book, it would have been the last updated old army by nearly a year. 

Yeah, Slaanesh is getting a lot at the moment - but it's hardly the Space Marines of AoS. The first book was a poorly balanced stop gap for a neglected army and this book is more like the 'real' battletome that brings them equal to the other Chaos Gods.

• Like 3

Mirroring what others have said, our demon book is very much a stop gap to fulfill the promise of every army having a book. Our book needs some heavy work too. 2/3rds of my army mechanics are based on Heroes so we will always push our lists to adding more and more keeper of secrets or chariot heralds. Without such a book, the next line of models would find really no room because they don't generate depravity. I'm hoping next book's depravity mechanic uses the whole army so that we can have maybe a keeper, and some support. Like why even bring a viceleader or two? for the price of two, just bring a vastly surpeior exalted chariot herald. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Benkei said:

My point precisely is sex and sensuality = p enises and b oobs is a teen's point of view. I like all the new models as opposed to the pretty obvious old ones, that's why I think the cover is just a bad joke, it has nothing to do with being "oversensitive", so please come down off your high horse and your "how brave GW is by showing b oobs". You'll notice the new models are much more subtle, which makes them much more elegant, as Slaanesh should be.

Not liking a crudish and childish depiction of sexuality has nothing to do with being a puritan. 

Just a thought, but when you use terms like "manchildren" it tends to make others think you are being intentionally insulting to those who might like the cover which may draw some fire in your direction.

Now, I am SURE you didn't mean it that way at all and were trying to stimulate real discussion. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Do you guys think we'll be getting anything else as well as the shrine as a reveal?

I would be surprised if it's more than that, I think the reveal will be more or less be for the other advent stuff. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, shinros said:

I would be surprised if it's more than that, I think the reveal will be more or less be for the other advent stuff. 

That's what I was thinking - but there's something in the back of my mind saying that GW is hyping up 'more to come' to mean more than one model. Of course, GW hypes all the time and tbh I really wouldn't expect more than one more model with the size of the release we've seen already - but it also wouldn't surprise me if we got one more extra. I'm not sure what though, considering it'd have to not fit in Warcry. Unless they're gonna hit us with a surprise Newborn model

• Like 1

I feel as though it is going to be Sigvald that came out of slaanesh at the end of broken realms morathi as they did with katakros after the forbidden power book and the battle of lethis.  It would be kind of anticlimactic but totally within the realm of possibility.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It would be rather disappointing if the "More to come!" statement at the end was just a "heres the last model guys! We didn't show it off cause we could get away with it", but I don't know what else could still be missing. Anything chariot based would be about it outside of the Large Lad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Do you guys think we'll be getting anything else as well as the shrine as a reveal?

The warcry books gave almost all the "small" unity / non-named heroes to every army. If we go by that, another named hero or monster would be the only possible options. Personally if the shrine ends carring the newborn in it, I could imagine it beeing a dual kit with a no-named monster hero option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

I feel as though it is going to be Sigvald that came out of slaanesh at the end of broken realms morathi as they did with katakros after the forbidden power book and the battle of lethis.  It would be kind of anticlimactic but totally within the realm of possibility.

I honestly thought this was already confirmed but can't remember where I saw it or read it.

1 hour ago, Austin said:

I honestly thought this was already confirmed but can't remember where I saw it or read it.

Sigvald was released from a mirror taken from Shadespire by the KO.

The newborn is described as having a great winged form I believe.

Warcom link with reference to Sigvalds mirror: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/27/sigvald-the-magnificent-is-back-and-hes-brought-friends/

Edited by ArmyOfGrodd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Slaanesh has been my favored god of chaos since 6th edition fantasy. The mortal side and the Keepers were always what did it for me. Selling off a ton of stuff to get ready for these kits to drop...I’m gonna go bonkers on them!

Also, the old book was broken on release and was too good. Now it seems the FAQs have neutered it too far. Glad to fix the stop gap book and get it fleshed out a LOT!

• Like 1

On a completely different note, what are thoughts on the vaguely Persian motiff of the new minis?

I think the aesthetic works really well, but there's some unintended orientalism that hampers my full enjoyment.

I'm not just throwing that term around, Edward Said's concept is specifically that of the Asiatic Orient being construed as wilder, sexually deviant, decadent yet savage compared to the civilising influence of the Occident (the colonising west). Like, the cultural pastiche of eastern influences in the Cypher Lords or Scions of the Flame is great, but it's kinda weird how this is mostly limited to chaos. Set against the Germanic aesthetic of the old freeguild range, you're getting this accidental Order = Occident and Chaos = Orient vibe.

Don't jump down my throat, I'm not saying anyone's wrong to like them (and anyway, *I* really like them). 

Probably the thing that would go a long way to fixing that would be mixing up the cultural influences of Freeguild models when they get updated. That's gonna happen anyway since GW has moved away from the old world approach of committing to a single cultural archetype (like Bretonnians or Tomb Kings). 

It's kinda like with Daughters of Khaine, it would be very weird if the only female representation in the game was 'bloodthirsty bikini babes'. But in the last couple years GW has released many women minis which aren't just that. The issue wasn't so much with DoK but the context that surrounded them.

Same thing with the new Slaanesh models. Love the non-European aesthetic, would love it even more if it wasn't reserved just for chaos cultists.

Edited by Klamm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

In the old word most of the chaos warriors were based on the Huns and other nomadic asiatic groups so Orientalism isn’t something new to chaos in war hammer.

I also get strong Middle Earth Serpent Horde vibes from the new models-  more reason to love them.