AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

So my first AoS game was today and I got wiped, mostly due to my lack of understanding of charge ranges, double turns etc. My opponent was able to dictate where the engagements happen and how and got optimal results. I am sure that with time my understanding of the game will improve.

However, I would like to see what comments you guys have regarding my list:

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders Host

Leaders
Chaos Lord on Manticore (280)
- General
- Blade & Runeshield
- Command Trait: Strength of Goodhood
- Artefact: Sliverslash
- Host Option: Hunter of Godbeasts
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Artefact: The Crown of Dark Secrets
Viceleader, Herald of Slaanesh (120)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Daemonettes (110)

Units
1 x Gorebeast Chariots (150)
- War Flail
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Cursed Lance

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Supreme Sybarites (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

I am leaning towards dropping the battalion and adding 10 more Daemonettes.

Hi all,

Hope this is a simple question, I haven't really played since 2nd edition dropped so I'm missing some knowledge.

I'm looking to play Slaanesh with the nice new battletome and I can see that slaves to darkness models can still go in lists I assume due to shared slaanesh keyword. Slaves to Darkness is also an army that can allied in so my question is :- is the only reason to take slaves to darkness as allies rather than as part of main force because you might want a different mark on some units? 

Many thanks 

On 2/16/2020 at 3:29 AM, Jedimasterwiggy said:

Hi all,

Hope this is a simple question, I haven't really played since 2nd edition dropped so I'm missing some knowledge.

I'm looking to play Slaanesh with the nice new battletome and I can see that slaves to darkness models can still go in lists I assume due to shared slaanesh keyword. Slaves to Darkness is also an army that can allied in so my question is :- is the only reason to take slaves to darkness as allies rather than as part of main force because you might want a different mark on some units? 

Many thanks 

Correct. Also there are a number of entries that have no option to select a mark (mindstealer sphiranx, fomoroid, etc.) that you may want to include in your army, which would need to be allied in.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Golub87 said:

So my first AoS game was today and I got wiped, mostly due to my lack of understanding of charge ranges, double turns etc. My opponent was able to dictate where the engagements happen and how and got optimal results. I am sure that with time my understanding of the game will improve.

However, I would like to see what comments you guys have regarding my list:

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders Host

Leaders
Chaos Lord on Manticore (280)
- General
- Blade & Runeshield
- Command Trait: Strength of Goodhood
- Artefact: Sliverslash
- Host Option: Hunter of Godbeasts
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Artefact: The Crown of Dark Secrets
Viceleader, Herald of Slaanesh (120)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Daemonettes (110)

Units
1 x Gorebeast Chariots (150)
- War Flail
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Cursed Lance

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Supreme Sybarites (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

I am leaning towards dropping the battalion and adding 10 more Daemonettes.

I would recommend expanding the marauders to 40 instead. Your list is heavy on the mortals, and marauders really want large numbers to keep their bonuses longer. It might be a good idea to swap the daemonettes out for a unit of hellstriders if you can (either weapon option is fine, though I consider clawspears to generally be the better pick). You won't really benefit much from such a large unit of knights, as they'll seldom all get into range. Either take a look at the slaanesh battalion from the slaves to darkness book (which is explicitly also a Slaanesh allegiance battalion) for a 6 inch pile-in, or split the unit into 2 5-man units. Also if you have the option to change it the sorcerer lord on manticore is a very strong pick, as their unique spell is basically a superior version of hysterical frenzy.

I would recommend expanding the marauders to 40 instead. Your list is heavy on the mortals, and marauders really want large numbers to keep their bonuses longer. It might be a good idea to swap the daemonettes out for a unit of hellstriders if you can (either weapon option is fine, though I consider clawspears to generally be the better pick). You won't really benefit much from such a large unit of knights, as they'll seldom all get into range. Either take a look at the slaanesh battalion from the slaves to darkness book (which is explicitly also a Slaanesh allegiance battalion) for a 6 inch pile-in, or split the unit into 2 5-man units. Also if you have the option to change it the sorcerer lord on manticore is a very strong pick, as their unique spell is basically a superior version of hysterical frenzy.

Thank you very much for the reply. It is definitely worth looking into larger marauder blobs. I am only concerned about managing to fit all 40 into all those "wholly within" effects.

Sorcerer is a good consideration, but I think I will stick to the lord, he is quite killy, and I love the model (I used the Slaanesh head from the chariot sprue and I love the bloke now). Maybe if I mount the Lord on the horse (Daemonic mount) I can fit in the Sorc on manticore.

I am working on expanding my Daemonic options with stuff from Wrath and Rupture and I will definitely have to get my hands on some Marauders as I am currently using proxies. Bloody shame their models are currently so old.

15 hours ago, Golub87 said:

Thank you very much for the reply. It is definitely worth looking into larger marauder blobs. I am only concerned about managing to fit all 40 into all those "wholly within" effects.

Sorcerer is a good consideration, but I think I will stick to the lord, he is quite killy, and I love the model (I used the Slaanesh head from the chariot sprue and I love the bloke now). Maybe if I mount the Lord on the horse (Daemonic mount) I can fit in the Sorc on manticore.

I am working on expanding my Daemonic options with stuff from Wrath and Rupture and I will definitely have to get my hands on some Marauders as I am currently using proxies. Bloody shame their models are currently so old.

I can definitely understand using a great conversion, and I've also used that head for one of my chaos warrior champions. Right now the biggest limiting factor for marauders (aside from the huge unit footprint) is how terrible the old models are, and I'm currently exploring my options for suitable stand-ins that won't break the bank for me.

One rules question - I am digging trough the Wrath of the Everchosen and looking up Faultless Blades as an upgrade to my Pretenders. Pretender general normally has two command traits. Text in Faultless Blades states: 

"A FAULTLESS BLADES PRETENDERS HOST general must have this command trait in addition to any others it has.
Contest of Cruelty..."

Does this "in addition to any others it has" mean that the General now has 3 command traits or that one of the 2 should be this one?

8 hours ago, Golub87 said:

One rules question - I am digging trough the Wrath of the Everchosen and looking up Faultless Blades as an upgrade to my Pretenders. Pretender general normally has two command traits. Text in Faultless Blades states: 

"A FAULTLESS BLADES PRETENDERS HOST general must have this command trait in addition to any others it has.
Contest of Cruelty..."

Does this "in addition to any others it has" mean that the General now has 3 command traits or that one of the 2 should be this one?

The way I read it is that one of the two must be that one. It was poorly worded, but I believe the plural form was meant to refer to the choices you have for the 2nd trait.

I know they FAQ'd it the other way, but what does everyone think about Infernal Enrapturess going back to the broken way and each one generating depravity equal to the number of Enrapturess' you bring? Assuming you lose none before your hero phase you can generate 36 depravity with 6 Enrapturess, which means at the earliest you could summon a Keeper at the end of your second hero phase. It also means you can't have any other heros in your army and lose all other hero options until later.  It cannot be modified by the Syll'Esskan host.

Edited by SleeperAgent

3 hours ago, Karazla said:

If i want to use a host from wrath of the everchosen. Do i only get those bonussen or also of the normal army it belongs to (invaders/pretenders etc)

You get both.

The host of the everchosen, are subfactions for each of the three main hosts. So Lurid Haze are a host who are an Invaders Host. So you get both, and must follow the restrictions of both.

I really cant wrap my mind around this and nothing in the internet seems to absolve me of my ignorance.  Does taking invaders host, or godseeker host TRULY force you to take atleast two of the battalions as specified in the host rules? For example, invaders host having to take 2-4 epicurean revellers? where does this battalion tax rule come from and what am i not getting here?

Hey important question. Does seeker cavalcade batalion allows you to take hero seeker chariots as well (for example herald of slaanesh on exalted seeker chario)? or does it only apply to seeker chariot units

46 minutes ago, Bolek said:

Hey important question. Does seeker cavalcade batalion allows you to take hero seeker chariots as well (for example herald of slaanesh on exalted seeker chario)? or does it only apply to seeker chariot units

Heroes on chariot cannot be included in this battalion

13 minutes ago, Shaquilleoheal said:

Yo guys..If someone wanna use in his list  a bladebringer,wich of the 3 setup is better run?

On exalted chariot

On Hellflayer

On seeker chariot

Exalted for sure, it hits like a truck. The only downside is all the chariot mortal wounds won't be generating depravity. 

36 minutes ago, Shaquilleoheal said:

Yo guys..If someone wanna use in his list  a bladebringer,wich of the 3 setup is better run?

On exalted chariot

On Hellflayer

On seeker chariot

If you fairly compare them (aka normalizing for their different points costs), you will find that in all situations the Exalted Chariot will outperform the others in terms of value before even taking into account the respective mortal wounds abilities:

You can see a simulation of this comparison here. (Note it simulates pretty slowly as the lowest common multiplier of their pts costs is really high) 

slaanesh-chariots.jpg.8893a28b0acd24e65ace6ec008f08229.jpg

This pretty much means that the Hellflayer is always a poor choice as it has the same mortal wound ability that the bladebringer does, albeit a weaker version of it. (aka it is the same thing with poorer efficiency)

Note that this comparison does not take into account the bonus attacks from soulscent triggers which will only serve to widen the gaps.

Things are a little different with the Seeker Chariot as it fills a different role. It unquestionably does the least damage relative to pts costs of the 3 but it is also the most mobile in that it can run and charge thus it is more effective in a role that requires agility. The bigger bases and poorer movement of the larger two mean that they function better as hammers but much worse as flankers as they lag the agility to get into a position in the back line. 

In a nutshell:

• Exalted Chariot is by far the most efficient in terms of damage output relative to pts investment. 
  • Hellflayer is unquestionably the worst as it lacks the high damage of the Exalted Chariot while also lacking the mobility of the seeker chariot
  • Seeker Chariot trades output for mobility. It has the lowest damage output of the trio but is much more agile so can be effective when used differently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azdimy said:

The problem with the exalted seeker chariot, is that it does not fit on the regular chariot base that it comes with it feels like gw forced it in for all the chariots options to save a penny

To be fair, the Exalted Chariot doesn't actually exist as a kit. It is just the clever use of two seeker kits. That said, GW could have thrown us a bone by having it use a larger base size in the official base size list. I have 2 of them but never run them because they are so annoying to play with because of all the spikey things hanging over the base and getting caught on everything.

I think the main reason it even exists though is to get the Slaanesh warscroll count up without having to make more kits. Slaanesh has radically fewer unit options than the other god specifics chaos factions because GW completely neglected to give us a "mortal" side. (other than the old hellstrider kit). Being able to take a single chariot design and turn it into 6 warscrolls at least made the army feel a bit less empty until you realize that most of those chariot variants are "never take"

1 hour ago, themortalgod said:

To be fair, the Exalted Chariot doesn't actually exist as a kit. It is just the clever use of two seeker kits. That said, GW could have thrown us a bone by having it use a larger base size in the official base size list. I have 2 of them but never run them because they are so annoying to play with because of all the spikey things hanging over the base and getting caught on everything.

I think the main reason it even exists though is to get the Slaanesh warscroll count up without having to make more kits. Slaanesh has radically fewer unit options than the other god specifics chaos factions because GW completely neglected to give us a "mortal" side. (other than the old hellstrider kit). Being able to take a single chariot design and turn it into 6 warscrolls at least made the army feel a bit less empty until you realize that most of those chariot variants are "never take"

It used to.  When originally released it was a second box (size of the GEtting STarted but back in 8th) and had instructions and large rectangle base.  Basically double the price ($80 vs the $40 for the seeker/hellflayer).  I wish I still had the instructions as I gather they don't come in the small box?  (I don't know, I only bought the original large box and only one of them).

IMO GW is still being dumb with bases.  First they should have given away rounds like there is no tomorrow.  That bases are $6 a pop still is dumb.  That they sell kits that come without rounds and only squares (CoS looking at some of your units) is astounding nearly 5 units into this game.

I think the latest push towards making chariots better in Slaanesh was good, and differentiates the armies a little more and GW should push towards making Slaanesh Chariot armies more viable.

I heard in Wrath of the Everchosen there is an Invaders option that gives you D3 units that can be pulled off and put into "Ambush"?  Is it correct that you can take the Depraved Drove as Slaanesh and then have them be WotE as well?