AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

I've had a few games using Slaves to Darkness in Slaanesh and they're better than I thought. I use the Pleasurebound Warhost with Chosen and Warriors (though would suggest marauders instead of warriors if you have them), a sorcerer, a chaos lord, and a Karkadrak. It's not as good as three keepers, but it's fun to play with. With the rerolls (I don't mind using pretenders due to not needing Supreme Syberites) and extra hits, chaos warriors do decently and chosen actually hit really hard.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Enoby said:

I've had a few games using Slaves to Darkness in Slaanesh and they're better than I thought. I use the Pleasurebound Warhost with Chosen and Warriors (though would suggest marauders instead of warriors if you have them), a sorcerer, a chaos lord, and a Karkadrak. It's not as good as three keepers, but it's fun to play with. With the rerolls (I don't mind using pretenders due to not needing Supreme Syberites) and extra hits, chaos warriors do decently and chosen actually hit really hard.  

How did the karkadrake perform? How useful were the reroll from sorcerer for out put? I imagine some of those synergies work better with mauraders.  Where you able to use the chaos lords command ability and keep him in position? Who ended up as general?

8 hours ago, Poryague said:

How did the karkadrake perform? How useful were the reroll from sorcerer for out put? I imagine some of those synergies work better with mauraders.  Where you able to use the chaos lords command ability and keep him in position? Who ended up as general?

Karkadrake was actually really solid, which surprised me, especially with the rerolling saves - great at holding objectives and better at damage than I thought he'd be. Probably not as good as spending those points towards a keeper, but worth it otherwise. 

The sorcerer was a secret MVP, especially on the chosen who were great with damage output on tough units.  I did try 40 mauraders but didn't find them great; not saying they're not - I only tried them once - but they are very squishy and  melt to battleshock.

Chaos Lord stayed in position relatively well, but I often had to spend a few moves not being able  to charge as running was necessary. Usually best with chosen as he can keep up. 

Lord on Karkadrake was a pretenders general, with the Pendant of Slaanesh and Monarch of Lies + Strength of Godhood. He makes a very tanky general with a sorcerer in tow.

• Thanks 2

Oh yeah, also from my experience the Chaos Knights are still pretty bad. Maybe I was using then wrong (very possible), but with lances they always got charged into first (due to being too slow for a first turn charge but to fast and expensive to screen) and with the blades they were better, but not good. They seem to need the support of a sorcerer to put damage out, and I'd rather have the sorcerer buff chosen thanks to mortal wound output. That said, if I was to use knights again they'd basically take the role of more durable chosen. Maybe if I put more attention on buffing them they'll shine. 

Big blocks of Chaos Warriors were better than I'd thought they'd be. The lack of rend hurts, but with our exploding 6s, they actually put through quite a few wounds. Their big bonus is rerolling saves, so they're only really a key part of the army if you run them in units of 15 or more. I'd like to try a unit of 25 or even 30, but that lack of horde discount stings. 

I think I've won all games with Slaves to Darkness (Ironjawz, Big Waaagh, Sylvaneth, Karadron), but it's always been based on victory points rather than a board wipe and depravity points have been lower (due to the heroes not been super killy and they tend to be better at buffing troops). I'd say this is much more fun than normal Slaanesh, but it seems competitively worse; you have to think about buffing, activation, and what to spend your limited summoning pool on. I'd say, both from a fun and competitive standpoint, it can help to add a KoS and CE in just for a fast threat and proper magical defence (even with their MW save, this is their biggest defensive weakness).

Overall, Slaves to Darkness Slaanesh  are more fun than normal 3 Keeper Slaanesh, imo. They tend to start strong with being tanky enough to hold objectives for a few turns, but in later turns they may get overwhelmed due to not having the killing power to have dealt with the biggest problem in the opponent's army.  Depravity points kind of help alleviate this, but you don't get many and the recent increases hurt lists like these a lot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xasto said:

So, starting to try to make a list with the big boi himself, what do you guys think of this? Its a very straight to the point, get in your face and generate depravity points army. Any other way you would build this? And which endless spell would you pick with the 40 points remaining, if any at all?

Archaon'sDepravedHost.pdf 5.73 MB · 3 downloads

Looks good, but my biggest suggestion would be to find room for a chaos sorcerer - either by getting rid of the battalion or by getting rid of a keeper and replacing with a sorcerer + epitome. As Archaon is so many points, you want to keep him as safe as possible - the sorcerer's buffs will turn him into a killing machine that just won't die.

So how are we feeling about running the sorc lord on manticore alongside an epitome with hysterical frenzy? The two spells largely do the same thing, but being able to double-dip with them seems like it would make us insanely good at clearing hordes, which in a post-marauder meta is going to be super important.

16 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

So how are we feeling about running the sorc lord on manticore alongside an epitome with hysterical frenzy? The two spells largely do the same thing, but being able to double-dip with them seems like it would make us insanely good at clearing hordes, which in a post-marauder meta is going to be super important.

Hysterical Frenzy is a significantly worse spell, having to be wholly within is a serious limitation. I think I'd rather have Born from Damnation.

On 12/22/2019 at 4:14 AM, Enoby said:

Looks good, but my biggest suggestion would be to find room for a chaos sorcerer - either by getting rid of the battalion or by getting rid of a keeper and replacing with a sorcerer + epitome. As Archaon is so many points, you want to keep him as safe as possible - the sorcerer's buffs will turn him into a killing machine that just won't die.

So I swapped out a Keeper and the Epitome for a Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore AND a Chaos Sorceror Lord. I think the list has some legs, and being only 19 models (not counting the summoning needed 🤣) it'll feel really good to play on the board!

12 hours ago, Forrix said:

Can't find too much recent discussion in this thread on Fiends. Has anyone been taking them? I really like the models and are one of the reasons I've been eying a Slaanesh army. But they seem very expensive for what they do.

Fiends suffer from being very good at something a Slaanesh army specifically wants characters to be doing, while not being characters themselves. I've used them before, and while they are fairly effective offensively and decently defensive in melee (though still quite vulnerable to shooting)  if taken in large enough numbers, they simply aren't terribly optimal. I think if the meta becomes more caster heavy, possibly after the Tzeentch book drops, we might see a token unit being used alongside an enrapturess and an epitome to really put the whammy on mages. Even for that situational purpose they're expensive though.

Edited by CeleFAZE
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, carnith said:

I'm hoping fiends go back down in price. They need to go back around 180, which some people said were still overcosted. Knowing 6 fiends costs more than a keeper is sad. 

Absolutely. They're brilliant models, and it strikes me as so strange that they structured everything in the slaanesh rules to make them synergize so poorly. I personally wonder if DP being character-only was a late-stage design choice, and they didn't bother to change the rules for fiends to compensate.

20 hours ago, Enoby said:

Anyone had any other tests with the new Slaves stuff? 

Not had a chance to play anything yet but Sorcerer Lord on a Manticore looks great on paper.  Especially with an Ethereal Amulet.

Lots of wounds, good damage output, hardy when buffing itself, great horde clearing spell, flying and fast enough to keep up with everything bar seekers.

I want to give the Syll Daemon Steel battalion a good. Lower cost Soul Grinders with +1sv and to hit feel like a bargain.

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I want to give the Syll Daemon Steel battalion a good. Lower cost Soul Grinders with +1sv and to hit feel like a bargain.

Thats what weirds me out, it felt like Daemon Steel was suppose to be the permanent fix for soul grinders in terms of warscroll updates. But that didn't happen so I'm not sure if SG's are worth it outside of the battalion (granted bringing only 1 SG in the battalion is probably a waste of points, very incentivized to bring 3). Unless somehow Disciples of Tzeentch also has their own flavor, but doubtful.

22 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Thats what weirds me out, it felt like Daemon Steel was suppose to be the permanent fix for soul grinders in terms of warscroll updates. But that didn't happen so I'm not sure if SG's are worth it outside of the battalion (granted bringing only 1 SG in the battalion is probably a waste of points, very incentivized to bring 3). Unless somehow Disciples of Tzeentch also has their own flavor, but doubtful.

With the reduced cost I think they are just about worth it outside Daemon steel, if nothing else some shooting for a lot of armies that have nearly none (slaves, khorn, Slaanesh and Nurgle).  A jack of all trades but with enough speed to be a right pain in the bum.  The massive base also mean that is it site on an objective know one can get within 6" of it without getting in combat range.

With Daemon Steel it feels top tier (16 3+ wounds and shooting, woof), but the restrictions on the Syll host and lack of synergy with depravity makes me think it's not going to be shaking up the meta.