AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

I think a nerf might be good for us, in a weird way - at the moment, there's not loads to discuss as we know our optimal (if not slightly broken) way to play. With the shake up of a nerf and the new slaves release, it could give us more options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The weaknesses identified early on with HoS are starting to tell as armies gain the tools to bypass our defences.

While we have many unbinds almost every faction released since have significant bonuses to cast totally bypassing the Epitome.

Debuffs are back and since our faction mostly relies on doing expected dmg debuffs are very nasty. 

Factions have the numbers and the models with sufficient durability to control space on the board.

I'm curious to see what GW decides to change but I'm not certain it's necessary as at this point there is going to need to be large changes to list structure to keep HoS as a top tier faction anyway.

A straight up nerf would do nothing to make the book more interesting, i fear. The toughest matches we have are against shooting, tough 1w armies and mortal wounds that are dealt in a way that bypasses the normal fighting sequence.Basically, anything that we cannot control by locus or reduce the damage potential of by hitting it first multiple times is a problem.

An obvious nerf would be to increase the summoning costs of certain units but it would just reduce the amount of summoning we'll be able to muster. Another possibility is toning down the CP farm - we sure have more that we'll ever need with some hosts. But that, again, will do nothing to make you take different units.

People aren't discussing the faction not because the True Way™ of playing is overshadowing the rest. We already have at least 3 distinct styles - goats, herohammer and  self-harm approach and some variance in those. I think the problem is there's just not much to the book besides locus, good battalions and summoning and Slaanesh isn't the most popular faction/god overall.

Edited by Sobakaa

7 hours ago, Sobakaa said:

We already have at least 3 distinct styles - goats, herohammer and  self-harm approach and some variance in those.

How does that Goats style looks like?

I´m contemplating the use of Bullgors in a Slaanesh army simply because Bullgors as well as Keepers are awesome models. And the rather underwhelming Bullgors + the rather overpowered Slaanesh rules might form an army that is ok for friendly games.

33 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I´m contemplating the use of Bullgors in a Slaanesh army simply because Bullgors as well as Keepers are awesome models. And the rather underwhelming Bullgors + the rather overpowered Slaanesh rules might form an army that is ok for friendly games.

@CB42 among others have been very successful lately using the depraved drove battalion. 

So yes, there is a goat style Slaanesh army, and it's very much competitive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hannibal said:

My goats style involves Depraved Drove with 30 Bestigors, 20 Seekers, 60 Ungors, a Keeper, an epitome, a great bray shaman, and Cogs. But you can swap out 20 Seekers and put in whatever you want - another 30 Bestigors, or 3 Doom Bulls and the Masque, or another Keeper and 10 Bestigors, or 9 Bullgors, etc.

Alternately, if you’re looking for less of a tournament competition build, Doom Bulls are great from a # of wounds to points perspective, and generate a lot of depravity when they die. I sometimes play Depraved Drove casually with friends with no keepers and instead 4 doombulls, 2 Ghorgons, 6 Bullgors, and some mix of Bestigors and Ungors. It’s pretty bad but it’s great fun for playing against friends who don’t have tournament lists and aren’t super familiar with the game.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CB42 said:

My goats style involves Depraved Drove with 30 Bestigors, 20 Seekers, 60 Ungors, a Keeper, an epitome, a great bray shaman, and Cogs. But you can swap out 20 Seekers and put in whatever you want - another 30 Bestigors, or 3 Doom Bulls and the Masque, or another Keeper and 10 Bestigors, or 9 Bullgors, etc.

Alternately, if you’re looking for less of a tournament competition build, Doom Bulls are great from a # of wounds to points perspective, and generate a lot of depravity when they die. I sometimes play Depraved Drove casually with friends with no keepers and instead 4 doombulls, 2 Ghorgons, 6 Bullgors, and some mix of Bestigors and Ungors. It’s pretty bad but it’s great fun for playing against friends who don’t have tournament lists and aren’t super familiar with the game.

Thank you for your input. I guess that some Slaaneshi-Bullgor list is going to be created very soon. :)

On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, acovarru91 said:

I have a question about assembling a unit of 10 Seekers. Can I have 2 Hornblowers in my unit of 10 Seekers alongside an Icon Bearer and a Banner Bearer?

You may have two of each (two musicians, two banners, two icons) 1 of each for every 5 models.

The big problem of Slaaneth is they are nearly perfect. Let me explain my point of view. A keeper can cast and dispel two spells, attack twice, generate extra attacks, deal mortal wounds, make enemies attack at the end, recover wounds, make an alpha strike, avoid shield units tanks to 3" range with their best weapon and they generate half of the summon points they cost.

Greetings 

11 hours ago, ACBelMutie said:

The big problem of Slaaneth is they are nearly perfect. Let me explain my point of view. A keeper can cast and dispel two spells, attack twice, generate extra attacks, deal mortal wounds, make enemies attack at the end, recover wounds, make an alpha strike, avoid shield units tanks to 3" range with their best weapon and they generate half of the summon points they cost.

Greetings 

However, he's the only "battering-ram" in the faction with a low amount of high power attacks. If he has no re-rolls he might deal insufficient damage as a result. If something doesn't die to his 2 activations (phoenixes, buffed berzerkers) - you're in a lot of trouble.

9 hours ago, Sobakaa said:

However, he's the only "battering-ram" in the faction with a low amount of high power attacks. If he has no re-rolls he might deal insufficient damage as a result. If something doesn't die to his 2 activations (phoenixes, buffed berzerkers) - you're in a lot of trouble.

I know they need a powerful character, but I think it shoudn't be so powerful in termns that they are impossible to counter by several armys.

Greetings

I had a game with the Syll'esske host against gore grunta Ironjawz. By the end of my opponent's turn 1 (before I could go), I had 94 depravity points (caused by their first turn charge killing a decent number of heroes and my heroes killing a decent number of the gore gruntaz back). I must say, this host has a weird alpha strike defence if you can protect Syll'esske - I could summon 3 keepers because they first turn charged me, which allowed me to table him by turn 3 as his army ran out of steam. 

Screenshot_20191113-231027_Print Spooler.jpg

Screenshot_20191113-231043_Print Spooler.jpg

18 hours ago, ACBelMutie said:

I know they need a powerful character, but I think it shoudn't be so powerful in termns that they are impossible to counter by several armys.

Greetings

That's not the issue of just Slaanesh however. Current slaanesh army can't beat Hallowheart with 60 phoenixes or fireslayers on 55 berzerkers if the mission isn't favorable and the opponent doesn't make some fairy important mistakes. That is more of an issue of AoS in general - you can't just straight up nerf a tier-1 army like slaanesh since there might be tier-0 expensive and under-represented armies like slayers or hallowheart (or skaven).

Perfect solution would be to not just nerf, but to rebalance slaanesh. For example - move some of the keeper's utility to other units while making it cheaper. That way other armies would've been able to snipe or otherwise disable those key pieces and slaanesh would still keep their battering ram monster intact. But sadly that's not how GW balances books.

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

I had a game with the Syll'esske host against gore grunta Ironjawz. By the end of my opponent's turn 1 (before I could go), I had 94 depravity points (caused by their first turn charge killing a decent number of heroes and my heroes killing a decent number of the gore gruntaz back). I must say, this host has a weird alpha strike defence if you can protect Syll'esske - I could summon 3 keepers because they first turn charged me, which allowed me to table him by turn 3 as his army ran out of steam.

In my play against orks at the last tournament (where i took the self-harm list) i was able to summon 5 keepers simultaneously. Almost ran out of models. I feel that orks are a perfect match for us in any host - they deal a lot of wounds but those usually don't have rend and even when they ignore save-after-save it doesn't affect slaanesh at all. And sadly there isn't much orc player can do about that - he just provides more depravity to slaanesh whatever he does in a very one-sided game.

Edited by Sobakaa

Forgive me I know a majority of you all have many games under your belt. We have a small group of us that play AoS in my town. Just a group of friends there are five of us. Our FLGS closed down and we mainly just play each other. We largely play 1250 pt games but our working to 2000. The meta is largely in my favor as the armies are(BCR, IronJawz(haven't play against yet), Seraphon, Ossiarch Bonereapers(haven't played against yet). However, I am having problems with Daemonettes, I just don't see to get alot out of them. Last game I ran 30, 10 vs BCR and they just under perform. How do you all play them in order to maximize? The battalion? 

Hey all, quick question. Anyone used the DP of Slaanesh at all? It gets to attack first if it didnt already attack. It seems it could be a pick for a cheap addition leader for smaller games NOTE: I'm looking at 1k team games.

For 2k sure i understand it isnt good b.c you can just take KoS's, chariots, Contorted, etc..

But for 1k? 

3 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Hey all, quick question. Anyone used the DP of Slaanesh at all? It gets to attack first if it didnt already attack. It seems it could be a pick for a cheap addition leader for smaller games NOTE: I'm looking at 1k team games.

For 2k sure i understand it isnt good b.c you can just take KoS's, chariots, Contorted, etc..

But for 1k? 

I've used it before and I've not found it great - often doesn't feel like it does enough damage to be worth the points and it doesn't really buff any other models.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:10 AM, Jamezorz said:

Forgive me I know a majority of you all have many games under your belt. We have a small group of us that play AoS in my town. Just a group of friends there are five of us. Our FLGS closed down and we mainly just play each other. We largely play 1250 pt games but our working to 2000. The meta is largely in my favor as the armies are(BCR, IronJawz(haven't play against yet), Seraphon, Ossiarch Bonereapers(haven't played against yet). However, I am having problems with Daemonettes, I just don't see to get alot out of them. Last game I ran 30, 10 vs BCR and they just under perform. How do you all play them in order to maximize? The battalion? 

If you want to take daemonettes in your list then battalion is probably the only thing that makes them better. That, and screening them carefully and giving them all re-roll 1s you can get. Personally i don't use them as part of the initial list but summon them later a lot (esp. in syll'esske host where i have more depravity than i can spend).

On 11/18/2019 at 6:32 AM, Maddpainting said:

But for 1k?

I thought of maybe including him into syll'esske host army at 1k since he's cheaper than a big chariot so you can fit another self-damaging endless but with just 8 wounds he might not survive the self-harming phase.

Edited by Sobakaa
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, Maddpainting said:

But for 1k? 

He's.. okay-ish? I'd probably consider him about as optimal a choice as fiends. That is, a solid unit in any other army, but just isn't enough of what we need where we need it. His ability is a great "gotcha" kind of thing, but because of the locus making the important targets go last anyways it really doesn't feel like points spent efficiently, especially since he doesn't have the locus ability either.

I'm willing to give the prince another look after the S2D book comes out, if he gets an updated scroll and can still be marked I'd be eager to see what he can accomplish.

• Like 1