AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

@SwampHeart aye my problem is the visual appearance too. It looks daft to have so many command elements within such a small body of models and I still don't really get why GW has allowed this to maintain and even encouraged it. Heck some other armies are worse - DoK didn't have any limits on banners nor musicians - in theory you'd make every single model (that isn't the leader) into a banner and musician. It's also really odd that you can double or even triple up on all the support but you can only have one leader. 

50 minutes ago, Overread said:

DoK didn't have any limits on banners nor musicians - in theory you'd make every single model (that isn't the leader) into a banner and musician.

I believe though best practice was 1 command set per box number if it was not specified. At least I think thats how most tournaments did.

If mono - modeling is an issue, could always make different looking banner and musicians.

Honestly for Slaanesh it would make sense for them to be obsessed with fancy banners and instruments anyways!

(I mean even historicals have a lot of banners depending on the time period/modelers preference)

Spoiler

27c85ce14c1094c7251e6be0743d3941.jpg

Curteys-Knights-e1467058717224.jpg?fit=9

WORSgallery2.jpg

Edited by kenshin620

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I believe though best practice was 1 command set per box number if it was not specified. At least I think thats how most tournaments did.

If mono - modeling is an issue, could always make different looking banner and musicians.

Honestly for Slaanesh it would make sense for them to be obsessed with fancy banners and instruments anyways!

(I mean even historicals have a lot of banners depending on the time period/modelers preference)

Reveal hidden contents

27c85ce14c1094c7251e6be0743d3941.jpg

Curteys-Knights-e1467058717224.jpg?fit=9

WORSgallery2.jpg

The Witch Aelf box actually contains 2 sets of identical sprues of five identical models for the 10 model unit, so you wind up with 2 musicians/banners per box number if you build all the options in the kit.  Then again the Namarti Thrall box also has two (different) banner models and they're only allowed the one per 10 through the FAQ, so, I dunno, I guess.

Not a bad point on Slaanesh favouring an abundance of musicians and banners, I don't think it looks too bad in a big daemonette block, but when you have your five model seeker units where 4/5 are command elements it looks pretty silly.  You can probably get away with not maximising musicians, cos they don't really do anything, but what if they change what the hornblower does later down the line!

On a half-similar modelling note has anyone had any success on magnetising the left hand of the KoS kit?  Obviously the Sinistrous Hand option is the clear winner at present, but I think both the whip and knife look cooler, and I don't want to have to chop their arms off for some impromptu surgery when they inevitable change the rules and make the whip broken in, like, five years or whatever.

1 hour ago, Lucentia said:

On a half-similar modelling note has anyone had any success on magnetising the left hand of the KoS kit? 

magnetized_keeper_of_secretsNot mine but someone on Reddit did magnetize both arms. The big issue I ran into when looking at doing it for my Keeper was that they cloak/jewelry both connect to the wrist on the hand bit so I ended up opting for the cloak and no magnetization since I cared about the cloak a lot more.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/bplpdk/magnetized_keeper_of_secrets/

For the rest of the topic I'm in the same boat, build full command that I'm allowed to just in case. I figure that since it's legal it's better for the occasional times I play against something that can pick off a specific model and won't have to worry as much about losing a key command model.

Edited by Draconaught

3 hours ago, Lucentia said:

The Witch Aelf box actually contains 2 sets of identical sprues of five identical models for the 10 model unit, so you wind up with 2 musicians/banners per box number if you build all the options in the kit.  Then again the Namarti Thrall box also has two (different) banner models and they're only allowed the one per 10 through the FAQ, so, I dunno, I guess.

Ahh yea I think it swaps between per box and per unit increment.

If something is 10-20 model increments, then it's usually per unit increment. If something is 5 (or less) unit increment, then its per box. Usually.....

(and thats why Sequitors can have so many special weapons, because it's per box!)

If one was really worried about looks vs rules, could always have a banner/instrument be magnetized to the base? Then take off when not needed.

Hey guys, in a depraved drove, do the ungors count as battleline? In the azyr app they do appear in the battleline section but it keeps saying the lost is invalid because I need battleline units other than allied ones. What's up with that?

41 minutes ago, Xasto said:

Hey guys, in a depraved drove, do the ungors count as battleline? In the azyr app they do appear in the battleline section but it keeps saying the lost is invalid because I need battleline units other than allied ones. What's up with that?

The warscroll builder site has it as fine. I don't have azyr. The site now has an option for "Ungors of Slaanesh" which say "Battleline, requires Depraved Drove". Is it possible you are selecting the wrong Ungor?

2 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

The warscroll builder site has it as fine. I don't have azyr. The site now has an option for "Ungors of Slaanesh" which say "Battleline, requires Depraved Drove". Is it possible you are selecting the wrong Ungor?

No the app doesnt have that option afaik. It just lets you pick ungors in the battleline section after you have chosen the depraved drove batallion, but it never deems the list "valid". Must be a bug then if the warscroll builder lets you do so

12 hours ago, Xasto said:

No the app doesnt have that option afaik. It just lets you pick ungors in the battleline section after you have chosen the depraved drove batallion, but it never deems the list "valid". Must be a bug then if the warscroll builder lets you do so

Both Azyr and Warscroll builder are not 100% accurate keep in mind. For example the warscroll builder still has Sayl the Faithless and the Godswron Hunt underworlds warband in all the god armies despite the fact they can't take marks!

But yea Ungors are Battleline irregardless of army, as long as they aren't taken as an ally.

The only exception to the battleline thing is tzaangors cause you got 2 forms of tzaangors and the tzeentch tzaangors are battleline in GA Chaos while BoC arent. For some reason...

Looking for thoughts, I love taking a keeper as my general and giving them awesome artefacts but I recently thought of how good some of the artefacts would be on a blade bringer on exalted chariot just because of the volume of attacks. If you augment those attacks in any way that is amplified quite a bit by the sheer number. Like the runeblade for rend -3 on 9 attacks, or ghyrstrike so now all 23 attacks (if the ability doesn't generate even more) are hitting on 2+ wounding on 3+, or even things I'd never take on a hero like the keeper because the odds are so low like sword of judgement. That is doing D6 mortal wounds to heros or monsters on a hit roll of 6+. If they sacrifice a wound to the fane or take a command trait to reroll hits then they are getting 9+ attacks rerolling all fails, statistically likely to get at least two 6's that could be 2d6 mortal wounds to enemy heros in addition to the 14 other attacks they have. idk just thought, and there is no reason you still couldn't run a keeper or two each with their own artefact as well.

4 minutes ago, Browncoat89 said:

Looking for thoughts, I love taking a keeper as my general and giving them awesome artefacts but I recently thought of how good some of the artefacts would be on a blade bringer on exalted chariot just because of the volume of attacks.

Unfortunately to burst your bubble, with very few exceptions (such as Aura buffs), Items and Traits do not affect mounts or companions.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that vampire Coven Thrones would be far more popular.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, kenshin620 said:

Unfortunately to burst your bubble, with very few exceptions (such as Aura buffs), Items and Traits do not affect mounts or companions.

Oh wow, I know I've been out of the game for a little while but that is a huge change, it's like when they started separating artillery crew from the artillery model. That seems super inconsistent, seems like if they are considered separate models for the purposes of artefacts you should be able to target them separately and everything as well. Huh okay, good to know thanks for filling me in.

1 hour ago, Browncoat89 said:

Oh wow, I know I've been out of the game for a little while but that is a huge change,

I thought that was still a rule in 1.0/1.5? I definitely remember people arguing about the coven throne not counting as a mount back then. The only major change in 2.0 is the introduction of "Companions" that are clearly not mounts but also not the main model such as the flesh hound with the mighty lord of khorne.

For those who have used big units of bestigors, what do you find is the best strategy for an alpha strike: 

- charge forward bunched up, likely only getting 10 or so bestigors in to one unit but not drawing the entire opponent's army

- charge forward in a wide line, getting most bestigors into multiple units, but likely having them wiped off first turn 

(This is assuming there's no asf/asl in play) 

I'm unsure as I've not used them, but while I agree big units is the way to go with them, I'm not sure how best to utilise the big units; should they maximise as much damage as possible first turn, or try conserve themselves? I'm kind of siding with maximise damage and try get in like three or so units, hack at them all, and then hope they clear all of the screens/alpha strike units the opponent has before dying themselves. I've noticed they do a tonne of damage, so if there were three units and 10 bestigors per unit, they should knock a severe dent into these units; 30 attacks at 3/3/-1/1 with 6s being three hits should finish off most squishies tbh. 

Edited by Enoby

On 7/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, Browncoat89 said:

Looking for thoughts, I love taking a keeper as my general and giving them awesome artefacts but I recently thought of how good some of the artefacts would be on a blade bringer on exalted chariot just because of the volume of attacks. If you augment those attacks in any way that is amplified quite a bit by the sheer number. Like the runeblade for rend -3 on 9 attacks, or ghyrstrike so now all 23 attacks (if the ability doesn't generate even more) are hitting on 2+ wounding on 3+, or even things I'd never take on a hero like the keeper because the odds are so low like sword of judgement. That is doing D6 mortal wounds to heros or monsters on a hit roll of 6+. If they sacrifice a wound to the fane or take a command trait to reroll hits then they are getting 9+ attacks rerolling all fails, statistically likely to get at least two 6's that could be 2d6 mortal wounds to enemy heros in addition to the 14 other attacks they have. idk just thought, and there is no reason you still couldn't run a keeper or two each with their own artefact as well.

Remember that you can re-roll all hit rolls, not just failed ones.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, kenshin620 said:

While being a bit off-topic in this thread, did they change the Coven Throne´s warscroll? As far as I know nothing about it is a mount.

23 minutes ago, Isotop said:

While being a bit off-topic in this thread, did they change the Coven Throne´s warscroll? As far as I know nothing about it is a mount.

Well they did finally FAQ it

Q: Is the Coven Throne treated as a mount?

A: Yes. In addition, the Handmaidens and Spectral Host are treated as mounts for rules purposes.

And even then, in 2.0 they have introduced the concept of companions which is now the definitive answer of non-mount extra models. 

Except things like daemon weapons for obvious reasons!

Here's a question - with the Chariot kits if you build seeker chariots you end up with 2 spare deamonette riders. So with a handful of chariots you've quickly got a small force of mount-less deamons. So does anyone have any plans on what they've done with theirs? 

I know an easy one is to just make all the chariot mounts have riders to use them up, but otherwise its tricky to work out what to do with them. Of course swapping bodies/heads and arms with the other deamonette kits works well, but you still end up with the same number of riders without a mount.

Are there any other mounts that look good with a deamonette atop? It's not easy to find spare seeker mounts without their riders, even second hand. 

I put a magnet in the steeds and my hellseekers, to make it easier to transport them around in the GW case. This also allows me to switch between hellstriders and seekers. There will probably never be a point when I use both 20 seekers and 10 hellstriders anyways. So with 2 SCs bought and 10 hellstriders, due to the extra bodies from the chariot kits, I was able to assemble 20 seekers.

Edited by Kasper

Hello! I'm totally new to Slaanesh. (but not to AoS) Last week I did a lot of thinking about making a list for my future army.  But I'm surprised, how often I see mix of Slaanesh and Beasts. Is it really the strongest way to play it? I was thinking about something absolutely different, I don't like playing too much hordes. I sow few list of this kind but I want to discuss it, before I put my money in it..

Idea is simple. 4 drops, decide who will start, 4CPs in turn 1 (1 for battalion, 1 for battalion ability, 1 for turn, 1 for using an artefact, then throwing him to the terrain) charge in T1, Then summon Deamonets on objectives, with possible Herald of Slaanesh to chainsummon, maybe summon Keeper if any die. I know I don't have bodies for holding objectives in base list but here I hope summoning wil do..

Advices? Is it ok? Should I do some changes? Should i throw this to a trashcan and ho for Beast list?

1.PNG

Edited by Orzo

Won't make you many friends but should be very effective, most of the time.  The problem is going to be when you face a horde army and produce very few summoning points you'll round out of models very quickly.  Makes it all a bit rock,paper, scissors.

I think most people look to Beasts since so many Slaanesh options are just bad value for points (almost all chariots, fiends, daemonettes) , so beast give you some more options, which generally do well with the exploding 6s of Slaanesh.

To fine tune I'd drop the Chaos Warriors and The Masque to get 15 more Hellstriders (one unit of 10 to keep drops down). Will give you the option of charging in your battle line to break through screens without exposing your characters.  Otherwise well screened armies will take you apart piecemeal.

1 minute ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Won't make you many friends but should be very effective, most of the time.  The problem is going to be when you face a horde army and produce very few summoning points you'll round out of models very quickly.  Makes it all a bit rock,paper, scissors.

I think most people look to Beasts since so many Slaanesh options are just bad value for points (almost all chariots, fiends, daemonettes) , so beast give you some more options, which generally do well with the exploding 6s of Slaanesh.

To fine tune I'd drop the Chaos Warriors and The Masque to get 15 more Hellstriders (one unit of 10 to keep drops down). Will give you the option of charging in your battle line to break through screens without exposing your characters.  Otherwise well screened armies will take you apart piecemeal.

Fair point and I was definitely thinking about it when I was making the list. But, I usually play 2k tournaments in one club and there is really few horde armies, so I won't be meeting them to much. And if I do, its the weak point for sure. 

Partly thinking out loud here but I'm wondering what to direct monies toward next for expanding my Slaanesh. 

So far I've got the following 

Spoiler

Current Slaanesh Army
1 Herald
1 Masque
1 Syll'Esske
1 Contorted Epitome
3 Infernal Enrapturess

30 Deamonettes - full command
10 Deamonettes -
20 Seekers - full command
10 Seekers - full command
10 Seekers - metal

9 Fiends
7 Fiends (metal)

1 Seeker Chariot
1 Hellflayer Chariot
1 Exalted Chariot

1 Endless Spell Set 

1 Mortal Wizard Slaanesh Mark (old metal model)
1 Mortal Mounted Lord Slaanesh Mark  (conversion)
1 Demon Prince Slaanesh Mark (conversion)
2 Cockatrice

I'm currently thinking on a few potential upgrade paths:

1) Slaanesh Getting Started Sets. Bonus is that they give me more deamonettes and also more chariot sets. With 2 in each I can quickly get a couple more seeker chariots and a new exalted with just 2 sets. The downside is that the seekers become a bit superfluous. I've already got a solid unit of 20 and a unit of 10 and I figure I won't need more than one more unit of 10. 

2) Slaves to Darkness Battleforce. Bonus is the saving discount and the fact that it gives me a very sudden core of Slaves followers to make either army supported by the other (Slaves with demons or demons with Slaves). In addition its in limited quantities and its likely that it will sell out fast when Slaves get their Battletome update. 
Downside are a very steep upfront cost and the fact that it is sort of building into a second army before finishing the first. 

3) Keeper of Secrets. Awesome model, but expensive. I'd ideally want to magnetize the key hand to swap between whip, blade, knife and claw. Otherwise a powerful monster that would certainly see use. 

4) Exalted KEeper of Secrets. Awesome resin monster to put on the table and whilst its rules are not great it can easily stand in as a regular Keeper of Secrets. Downside is that its the most expensive single option to pick. 

I'd welcome some thoughts, though I'm likely to not commit to anything till the end of the month or at least when we get full details of Warcry, the last two battle groups and the prices for it all as it could very well steal the show depending on how it comes out and its full details. 

Hello, new Slaanesh polayer tempted by the Dark Prince reporting presence!

I have bought the SC Box, and my question is: can I build another thing beyond the Exalted Chariot? I've red somewhere that I can build even 2 seeker chariots. Is that true?