AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

The biggest probem I find with most pre-3.0 books is the lack of high Rend or mortal wounds (notable exceptions being Beasts and Tzeentch) meaning they just feel very pillow-fisted, and they usually have worse saves and less synergies/combos to boot. Our book is at least held up by the ease with which we summon and some real hard hitters like Sigvald and the very synergistic Krondspine, looking at something like Khorne is just depressing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I was wondering that too and since the battletomes in V3 AFAIK are generally in a good direction.  I've heard mixed about the Skaven.  A guy on The Honest Wargamer who played them before and liked that they kept it mostly the same but streamlined the book to be cleaner seems to be positive.

The problem I have projecting that onto Slaanesh is we don't need a streamline, but a re-write like Sylvaneth got.  The Sylvaneth big guys got a huge boost and are a blast to play.  That makes me hope the Keeper will be good again.  I don't want to see a return to the Rhelion days of lists but a list where your Keeper wasn't a fire-magnet that was useless in CC.

It's hard to be sure since Nurgle is the only god marked book so far, but I'm hopeful all the greater daemons will follow the Great Unclean One. It got a big jump in points and a slew of buffs along with it. Vastly better combat profile, more wounds, innate healing, and generally better abilities (bell changes aside). I'd love to see all greater daemons become particularly scary and powerful, and fully viable, but expensive enough so you'll only want one or maybe two at most in your army. What that would mean for the keeper is difficult to say since the summoning tax distorts things so heavily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I was wondering that too and since the battletomes in V3 AFAIK are generally in a good direction.  I've heard mixed about the Skaven.  A guy on The Honest Wargamer who played them before and liked that they kept it mostly the same but streamlined the book to be cleaner seems to be positive.

The problem I have projecting that onto Slaanesh is we don't need a streamline, but a re-write like Sylvaneth got.  The Sylvaneth big guys got a huge boost and are a blast to play.  That makes me hope the Keeper will be good again.  I don't want to see a return to the Rhelion days of lists but a list where your Keeper wasn't a fire-magnet that was useless in CC.

I very much agree. It's why I'm hoping they take their time with it and use the strong reaction against the current book to be a catalyst for change, rather than just neatening things up. 

I do think most 3e tomes are closer to "neatening up", but to different degrees - DoK feel hardly changed with a few QoL boosts from what I could see, Orks had a faction added to them but other than that were pretty unchanged unfortunately, but Nurgle and Sylvaneth had large changes to them as both were outdated. I'm hoping they see us as needing as the latter two.

My worry is they'll be scared to do as big a redo as Nurgle, though I think that's what's necessary. Even if they got rid of most of our abilities and rethought everything, I think we'd be more likely to end in a better spot. Despite our book coming out quite recently, the design is still reminiscent of mid-AoS 2, and there are loads of mistakes/outdated rules such as Breathtaker not making sense, Battalions being a core feature of the hosts, very limited rend, and the twins having the wrong weapon profiles. I'm also dissapointed that they didn't expand the mortal spell lore, considering we have a strong mortal caster with an ability to swap spells out... which you'd rarely do as all three choices are pretty bad (with, imo, battleshock immunity being the best). 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jaskier said:

The biggest probem I find with most pre-3.0 books is the lack of high Rend or mortal wounds (notable exceptions being Beasts and Tzeentch) meaning they just feel very pillow-fisted, and they usually have worse saves and less synergies/combos to boot. Our book is at least held up by the ease with which we summon and some real hard hitters like Sigvald and the very synergistic Krondspine, looking at something like Khorne is just depressing. 

Khorne is actually doing ok at the moment with their revised blood tide mechanic but I get what you are saying. I look forward to try that krondspine I have on pre order in my Hedonites army. Some much needed anvil for our faction. I ve found the purple sun has helped a lot of armies that don t have access to  high rend such as Slaanesh

Without wanting to sound too negative: i honestly do not see a new hedonites BT in the near future. We are nicely fleshed out ( pun intended) with models and the current one is not too old. 

I would not be surprised if we have to wait for 4.0 for a new one.

16 hours ago, azdimy said:

Khorne is actually doing ok at the moment with their revised blood tide mechanic but I get what you are saying. I look forward to try that krondspine I have on pre order in my Hedonites army. Some much needed anvil for our faction. I ve found the purple sun has helped a lot of armies that don t have access to  high rend such as Slaanesh

Yeah I know what you mean, it's just...looking at their profiles and comparing them to more modern ones and the contrast with the Rend and mortal output is so sad, Skarbrand being the big exception of course. Khorne and to a lesser extent Slaanesh should absolutely have higher Rend across the board at minimum and less swingy profiles. It's a sad day when I'm envious of Nurgle combat profiles. 

I too expect we won't be getting a Battletome for at least a year. Outside of the ones that are getting updated this year, I'd say there's gonna be at least one more Destruction tome, Khorne, likely the revamped Cities faction, Kharadrons and Ossiarchs at minimum before we get ours.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:49 AM, Koala said:

Without wanting to sound too negative: i honestly do not see a new hedonites BT in the near future. We are nicely fleshed out ( pun intended) with models and the current one is not too old. 

It can be a release without models.  Did skaven get much more than a hero?  I get GW is a models company and releases are a platform for that but the book itself is severely lacking, single list focussed, no synergy, poor lore construction and a lot feels like legacy of things that stood out dating back from 8th ed WFB.  

On 8/22/2022 at 12:18 AM, Enoby said:

My worry is they'll be scared to do as big a redo as Nurgle, though I think that's what's necessary. 

Was Nurgle a huge undertaking?  They were pretty bad at the end of 2nd weren't they?  like dropped Blightlords until spamming them made the book semi-viable.

The other thing I realized is books that are getting Celestial Tomes do not appear in line for a new book.  And I would bet my entire BoC Army that no one who plays them wants a new book hahaha!

I noticed 40k Slaanesh got "daemonic save" back which AFAIK dates back to 8th ed also and well really was significant starting in 2nd ed.  It surprised me Daemons didn't get a "Ward" in AoS.  Perhaps over time we will see a revival of it.  Daemonettes also got a big move buff.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Popisdead said:

I noticed 40k Slaanesh got "daemonic save" back which AFAIK dates back to 8th ed also and well really was significant starting in 2nd ed.  It surprised me Daemons didn't get a "Ward" in AoS.  Perhaps over time we will see a revival of it.  Daemonettes also got a big move buff.

they are bringing back unmodifiable saves since 40k designers decided that we needed things to remove invulnerable saves and demons suffered hard for it. Daemon saves are just invulnerable saves that cannot be negated. 

The movement buff seems to be +3" which is a low average run roll. Seems the army may have lost run and charge, a shame really and the movement is just making up for the loss. So now more daemonettes running 14" up the board for me. Also point leaks for them was daemonettes went from 7 points a model to 12, but doubled in attacks and have a 4+ save at ranged. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, Popisdead said:

Was Nurgle a huge undertaking?  They were pretty bad at the end of 2nd weren't they?  like dropped Blightlords until spamming them made the book semi-viable.

Yes it was. They cleaned up the datasheets and abities big time. 

While they do not have the highest amount of different units you will see most of them do well even in competative metas.

AoS1 ( plus ) Nurgle was a weird list with a few outlier abilities and tons of rules added into it later on to make other things viable.

AoS3 Maggotkin has great internal balance and few to no useless or OP abilities (aka any issues could be fixed just with points changes. Now look at Slaangors).

It also has a clearly distinct playstyle that harmonises well with every unit. 

IMHO they could do with less army wide special rules ( circle of corruption is rather irrelevant most of the time - and when it isnt its random luck) but compared to Hedonites every one of them feels better, more fluffy and more integral into their playstyle.

In short they are the current gold-standard for AoS3 Battletome Design.

• Like 4

I can t wait to see what the Tzeentch bt looks like. I think this will give us a good idea if wards for deamons are coming back in fantasy and if they can repeat the Maggotkin success and we should be excited or not for the next Hedonites tome

So I've been looking at the changes to slaanesh daemons in 40k and I'm thinking they might go in a similar direction in aos as it seems more streamlined. Basically they tossed anything that gave more attacks for more base attacks, run and charge got dropped for move movement in general, activation shenanigans are all fights first now and most heroes give +1 to hit or wound auras with some demons having -1 to hit, wound or both native. And all weapons got an extra pip of AP (rend) or two. These are changes I'd be happy with to make us more reliably threatening.

Hi Folks,

i just want to tell u About the 2days-5games Tournement with 34 Players in Germany last Weekend.

I come with my glutos List.

1.Game against Azir and Nighthaunt Herobomb

I lost in the Long run with 28 to 19 because not enought dmg, no doppel Turn. I had massiv DP but Time was running out and his Charges to good

2. Game against S2D and 2x6 Hero Varanguards

I get Sigvald in his Back but than his doppelFighting Varanguards are to good in DMG Output and with a 2+ Reroll 1s Save to hard to handel. But i fight and it was okay, i lost ähm 23 to 17 i think

3. Game on Day 1 was against Manfred 60 Zombies, 2x20 Graveguard and 3x10 Direwolfs

I give her the first turn, get the MOmentum back and kill the Zombies 15 Direwolfs and 20 Graveguards in my turn 2 because of Bounty Hunter, Buffs and Debuffs and than this it is… i Won 28 to 11.

Day 2 Bonereaper with Arkhan, Katakros and 50 Infanterie

i make it short: I had a doupleturn from 1 to 2 but not enought Dmg (wayne not enought) and lost at the end 28 to 21

Last Game/Game 5 againt FEC with doppelTerrorG, 9 Ghouls, 9 Flayed and so

Am i gave him the first turn, got the charge and the doppelturn and killt 1 TG, 2 littel Heros, and All Infanterie. His Generals on TG fight and figth but after tURN 4 he was tabelt and i won 28 : 13

At the End Place 19 !! 

I am very happy with that.

My next games i will Play with:

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Faultless Blades Pretenders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (400)**
-
General
- Sinistrous Hand
- Command Trait: Contest of Cruelty
- Artefact: Contemptuous Brand
- Host Option: Strongest Alone
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (205)**
The Contorted Epitome (245)**
-
Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation

Battleline
11 x Blissbarb Archers (140)**

Units
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (260)*
-
Reinforced x 1
5 x Slickblade Seekers (230)*
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (55)**
-
Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

Endless Spells & Invocations
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116
Drops: 3

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ibel said:

Hi Folks,

i just want to tell u About the 2days-5games Tournement with 34 Players in Germany last Weekend.

I come with my glutos List.

1.Game against Azir and Nighthaunt Herobomb

I lost in the Long run with 28 to 19 because not enought dmg, no doppel Turn. I had massiv DP but Time was running out and his Charges to good

2. Game against S2D and 2x6 Hero Varanguards

I get Sigvald in his Back but than his doppelFighting Varanguards are to good in DMG Output and with a 2+ Reroll 1s Save to hard to handel. But i fight and it was okay, i lost ähm 23 to 17 i think

3. Game on Day 1 was against Manfred 60 Zombies, 2x20 Graveguard and 3x10 Direwolfs

I give her the first turn, get the MOmentum back and kill the Zombies 15 Direwolfs and 20 Graveguards in my turn 2 because of Bounty Hunter, Buffs and Debuffs and than this it is… i Won 28 to 11.

Day 2 Bonereaper with Arkhan, Katakros and 50 Infanterie

i make it short: I had a doupleturn from 1 to 2 but not enought Dmg (wayne not enought) and lost at the end 28 to 21

Last Game/Game 5 againt FEC with doppelTerrorG, 9 Ghouls, 9 Flayed and so

Am i gave him the first turn, got the charge and the doppelturn and killt 1 TG, 2 littel Heros, and All Infanterie. His Generals on TG fight and figth but after tURN 4 he was tabelt and i won 28 : 13

At the End Place 19 !! 

I am very happy with that.

My next games i will Play with:

- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (400)**
-
General
- Sinistrous Hand
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (205)**
The Contorted Epitome (245)**
-
Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation

Battleline

Units
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (260)*
-
Reinforced x 1
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (55)**
-

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Battle Regiment

Wounds: 116

What was your Glutos list? The keeper of secret is not worth its points in my opinion

I played this List:

Spoiler

- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Grand Strategy: Tame the Land
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (470)*
-
Host Option: General
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Dark Delusions
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (205)*
-
Host Option: General
Shardspeaker of Slaanesh (135)*
-
General
- Command Trait: Feverish Anticipation
- Artefact: Oil of Exultation
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture

Battleline
11 x Blissbarb Archers (140)*

Units
5 x Myrmidesh Painbringers (120)*
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (260)**
-
Reinforced x 1
5 x Slickblade Seekers (230)**
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (55)*
-

Mesmerising Mirror (60)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Bounty Hunters

Wounds: 117

In this List was one of the Problem that i didnt have the MagicPhase. Most of the Games the Other Player was better there.

Glutos: Jes je is fine with his Points and so if he can pump out his Magic and he didnt have to do Magic. Jes he can tank a littel bit (of Course better than a keeper) and cast (but not good enough i think) but his dmg Output is soooo frusttrated, because it is to littel.

He Need 12 Attacks with the Monstrous Claws and 6 Attacks with the Painbringer Hero and the Mortals must be PLUS every Dmg.

Or he had to go 80-90 Points down.

The  Keeper isnt worth it on paper Right. I had to lock if he is still aliven than i hope it goes this way (in a perfekt World Right ;) )

Keeper Charged, Sigvlad Charged --> Sigvald kills the "blocker" Line --> Both can Pile in 6" = helps very much to get to importen Stuff --> Sigvald and Keeper fight again…. (vor 1 CP) = many many Dmg (i hope so)

The Keeper in this constalation can have a 1+ ReRoll /2+ Wound /-2 / Dmg 5 -X against a Hero in Charge. Could Hit like a Train (I would ReRoll by Hit Maybe both Dice if they are no 6s)

We will see. Some Guys say Synessa is a autoinclude in this List and 2x10 Twinssouls instat of Seeker and Giminis but, no, Maybe Change Giminis against Burning Head but, mhmm than i hab 25 Points and downd know what to do with it so ;) We will see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ibel said:

Keeper Charged, Sigvlad Charged --> Sigvald kills the "blocker" Line --> Both can Pile in 6" = helps very much to get to importen Stuff --> Sigvald and Keeper fight again…. (vor 1 CP) = many many Dmg (i hope so)

Sigvald can only fight again if he has an enemy in 3" if you use the Excess of Violence command ability (even if he can pile in 6") so it is unlikely that he can fight a second time against something important.

4 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

igvald can only fight again if he has an enemy in 3" if y

Oh ****** u are Right mhmm than both had to go an the Same big/deadly Star and do what they do. But lets be fair if the Player on the other side know what u do and what u can do u lose in 80% off the Times so... ist okay. I try it. Maybe with synessa (Man she/he can have 'look out sire' and his oure -1 to Hit and can get Bonus on Save from Cover. Nize. And is a Monster, even Nizer ;) )

One of the problem with the keeper is excess of violence is a command ability. You can get roared and denied of the ability and you re unable to go all out attack or all out defense because of it while those are most of the time in my games better ca to use. That would change if the unit could fight a second time immediately after it already fought like the khorne ca in reapers of vengeance.

3rd edition has not been kind even to the hyper tone down keeper warscroll we got in our last battletome. The fact that 3rd ed came with another 25% point increase to it pushed the kos to unplayable outside of narrative game or corner case summon for me

Edited by azdimy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, azdimy said:

One of the problem with the keeper is excess of violence is a command ability. You can get roared and denied of the ability and you re unable to go all out attack or all out defense because of it while those are most of the time in my games better ca to use. That would change if the unit could fight a second time immediately after it already fought like the khorne ca in reapers of vengeance.

Hey Maybe it would be better. In the Way of my Kombo the Keeper Need no All Out Attak, most of the time u can pile him out of the Way to ReRoll Hits, and jes All Out Defense hurts but u can give the Command with the Keeper to Siggi, Siggi give a command to the Keeper (All Out Defense for Exampel) the Problem with staying alive is still there but i cant go to a Tournament the next 5-6 months so i can practise this kombo and Maybe i will be a littel bit lucky and the next jear the Keeper go down in Points to what he is Woth it (so Maybe 320-340) so i can play with him. And Synessa too.

I Change the List a littel bit because Synessa is to good in this:

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Keeper of Secrets (400)*
-
General
- Sinistrous Hand
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (205)*
Synessa, The Voice of Slaanesh (260)*

Battleline

Units
1 x Exalted Chariot (195)**
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (260)**
-
Reinforced x 1

The Burning Head (20)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Bounty Hunters

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 111

Or Maybe the Sickblades in the Bounty Battalion too and go on the 4 Drop ?! but with the 3 drop 1 very often can Choose who start?!?! What might be better?

So I got bored and tried my hand at rewriting the spell lore. 

One thing I wanted to get rid of was healing. I don't think Slaanesh should be healing through spells at least. I would see maybe an allegiance ability of healing based on models perhaps fleeing as heroes feel invigorated by enemies breaking. 

I took inspiration from some Codex: Demon spells as I think they hit the mark on what could be done to improve our lore. I wanted a mix of buff/debuff spells. While I know there are not much buffs for our ranged units, I think that could be better addressed in allegiance abilities/subfactions. 

Acquiessence: All Heralds know this spell. Pick an enemy unit within 18", they take a mortal wound and are reroll 1's to be hit and -1 to movement. 
Overwhelming Acquiessence: 24" range, same as acquiessence, pick 2 units for acquiessence, or same unit twice for 2 mw, full rerolls to be hit and -2 movement.
Cacophonic Choir: keep it 6" but it follows soulslice shards in that it's 6+6d to each unit. Could do something with the keeper's profile in that this spell has a higher flat number and drops with wounds. Like 8/6/4/2. Give it a high casting cost since it could potentially do a lot of mws. 

Lore of Slaanesh
Phantasmagoria: Borrowing the spell from Chaos Daemons, same effect, but each 5+ is a mortal wound in addition. 
Soulslice shards: Works the same, but is a 6+d6 instead of 2d6.
Hysterical Frenzy: I borrowed from old Chaos Demons codex, pick a unit wholly within 12" hero phase fight
Pavane of Slaanesh: I would get rid of hero requirement. Add that units affected by this spell cannot retreat in their next movement phase.
Lash of Slaanesh: Pick a spot within 8", then pick another spot within 12" of the first. Draw 1mm line between both points. All units that have a model crossed over take d3 mws. 
Symphony of Pain: Select a unit within 18" that unit is -1 hit and wound. Again taken from Codex: Demons

Keeper of Secret Spells
Slothful Stupor: Units within 6" cannot issue or recieve commands. 
Quicksilver Speed: Target unit fights first. 
Dark Deliverance: Pick a weapon the bearer has, +2A

Mortal Spells
I'm bad with names
Spell 1: Run and Charge on target unit or bonus to charge.
Spell 2: cv: 8,  +1 Attack, and 6's to hit are 3 hits in melee.
Dark Delusions: Get rid of the bravery game. Unit is +1 to be hit.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:49 AM, Koala said:

I wouldn't be too certain of that. We have some room when it comes to hero releases (so many of us have bemoaned the lack of mounted heroes there's a chance that we could see a boobsnake lord), and after gits get their book all bets are off as to who's getting books in 2023. They're obviously doing something with chaos dwarves after the hobgrots and horns of Hashut, so I imagine they'll be the big book for next year, but beyond that we've got:

Cities of Sigmar: we know there's a big re-design in the pipeline, so this one is possible.

Flesh Eater Courts: another old book that had a decent White Dwarf update, but still suffers from anti-synergy based on 3.0 rules

Khorne: once S2D comes out they'll have lost their last real power-piece, and then they'll probably need the update more than we do.

Beasts of Chaos: actually quite strong after the White Dwarf update, but will have severely outdated Tzaangor scrolls still.

Kharadron Overlords: currently suffering a fair bit from power creep, despite the edition favoring range.

Seraphon: they don't need it, but they're order and 2nd ed, so we can assume it's happening.

Ossiarch Bone Reapers: they need it. Also I'd love to see them get archers and chariots.

And finally Hedonites: I don't need to describe the problems we've got, we're all distinctly aware.

So that gives us 8-10 books, which roughly correlates to the roughly 2 per season they seem to be going with, though someone is probably getting pushed to 2024. CoS could languish until 2024 depending on the rework, and chaos dwarves might be saved for the 4th edition release villain army. So I'd say it's -likely- we get a new book next year, unless DoK and Lumineth get new books AGAIN, which is more probable than I want to admit.

Edited by CeleFAZE
Much like GW before me I forgot about OBR.
  • Like 1

There are 9 books remaining from the rest of the armies. 
slaves is probably an early January release with the rest of the updated kits probably shown around Christmas/New Years. 

most armies on that list don’t need new units, they just need new books, but we know they love adding new heroes. We also saw 10 books this year, so it’s possible. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys a question. When I summon herald on exalted chariot can I give him a spell from the lore or flaming weapon? Thx a lot!:) i have just played and we didnt know what to do! 

Yes, you can since every wizard in your army can get a spell not starting wizard. You ll need to choose at the time the wizard is summoned which I always forget

• Like 1