AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

10 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

Question...  i'm not sure if this is worded exactly the same as 2.0 or not.  But I noticed this about paired weapons in the 3.0 core roles (pg 14):

"Some models are armed with two of the same weapon (often referred to as paired weapons). When this is the case, the Attacks characteristic for the weapon will already take the extra weapon into account, or the model will have an ability to represent the model dual-wielding"

I'm that guy who was always asking about slaangors, so i'm just wondering if this is something that is worded the same or not as before; it seems that Slaangors do not adequately fit the description from the book.  IE; they do not have an ability to represent they are duel wielding, yet the attack characteristics do not indicate dual wielding either (because the unit champion has it (singular) and uses the same attack profile.

Might be pointless, but I was wondering if that's something worth sending to the rules people for clarification?  Or if the assumption is ... yeah, the attack profile represents dual wielding. the champion is just extra awesome and fast and attacks in a whirlwind as if he had two blades in one hand!

I did ask that question to the rules team via email upon release of our battletome and never got an answer

12 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

Question...  i'm not sure if this is worded exactly the same as 2.0 or not.  But I noticed this about paired weapons in the 3.0 core roles (pg 14):

"Some models are armed with two of the same weapon (often referred to as paired weapons). When this is the case, the Attacks characteristic for the weapon will already take the extra weapon into account, or the model will have an ability to represent the model dual-wielding"

I'm that guy who was always asking about slaangors, so i'm just wondering if this is something that is worded the same or not as before; it seems that Slaangors do not adequately fit the description from the book.  IE; they do not have an ability to represent they are duel wielding, yet the attack characteristics do not indicate dual wielding either (because the unit champion has it (singular) and uses the same attack profile.

Might be pointless, but I was wondering if that's something worth sending to the rules people for clarification?  Or if the assumption is ... yeah, the attack profile represents dual wielding. the champion is just extra awesome and fast and attacks in a whirlwind as if he had two blades in one hand!

The fact that it’s Razor-Sharp Claw(s) and not Claw means it’s the same profile whether they have 1 claw or 8. 

If the regular models just got 6 attacks each with their claws they wouldn’t be near as awful. 

• Like 1

So now list building is basically "don't ever take anything whose points were adjusted" with a bit of "don't take Hedonites units" sprinkled on top

And 3 days ago I was uber excited at running a kitted up KoS with the Epitome. I mostly like all the 3.0 changes did, but I can't use most of them due to the way our points changed because I can't build a list to makes good use of Monsters/Heroes/Endless Spells with our new battleline tax and the massive hikes for KoS and Epitome. I can handle the rest, but KoS and Epitome (and probably Daemonettes/Archers) are just too much 

Edited by Benkei
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Benkei said:

So now list building is basically "don't ever take anything whose points were adjusted" with a bit of "don't take Hedonites units" sprinkled on top

And 3 days ago I was uber excited at running a kitted up KoS with the Epitome. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Benkei said:

To be fair, I think Hedonites are now by far our best units (including Archaon as he has the keyword). Now Slaves don't count as battleline and do pretty poor damage, we're better using our own units.

I think, personally, our best battleline is now painbringers or twinsouls - we don't have a cheap choice, so we may as well use our battleline (rather than have it as tax). For a bit of positivity, I can say I'm looking forwaed to using these two units more  

Thanks @Lurynsar for the write up :) I know it would be hard to say, but in a world where we kept our old points, how do you think you would have fared? I'm just curious to see if you'd think we'd be too strong, or if there was any key piece you'd have loved to include 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Benkei said:

And 3 days ago I was uber excited at running a kitted up KoS with the Epitome. I mostly like all the 3.0 changes did, but I can't use most of them due to the way our points changed because I can't build a list to makes good use of Monsters/Heroes/Endless Spells with our new battleline tax and the massive hikes for KoS and Epitome. I can handle the rest, but KoS and Epitome (and probably Daemonettes/Archers) are just too much 

Yeah basically for now… but it won’t last… everywhere I turn on AOS related stuff people are saying the same thing that slaanesh points are wrong… they won’t leave it like that forever 

• Like 1

Having finally finished my first unit of Blissbarb Archers (so much detail. Seriously, SO much detail) I'm going to move onto Twinsouls and then Painbringers, rather than build the Slickblade Seekers I'd had in mind as my next project. They're looking like our battleline of choice as @Enoby pointed out, so I might as well get cracking on them.

I think worries about Slaanesh being squatted as a result of this year's poor rollout is premature and most likely not going to happen. Slaanesh is one of the Big 4 and has been around for a very long time, not only in Fantasy but 40k too. They're an integral part of Games Workshop's proprietary lore and I don't see GW jettisoning them anytime soon. 

Edited by LeonBox
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Enoby said:

To be fair, I think Hedonites are now by far our best units (including Archaon as he has the keyword). Now Slaves don't count as battleline and do pretty poor damage, we're better using our own units.

I think, personally, our best battleline is now painbringers or twinsouls - we don't have a cheap choice, so we may as well use our battleline (rather than have it as tax). For a bit of positivity, I can say I'm looking forwaed to using these two units more  

Thanks @Lurynsar for the write up :) I know it would be hard to say, but in a world where we kept our old points, how do you think you would have fared? I'm just curious to see if you'd think we'd be too strong, or if there was any key piece you'd have loved to include 

I do believe it’s hard to say. I should point out that in all 3 test games I did win. So having “more” certainly wouldn’t have been a detriment. 

That said, I do believe I can offer some insight on the take away’s if we had old points. 

My Hero choices are largely no different. The handful of points do not make or break the list. So having old costs for them wouldn’t have changed anything. 

When it comes to units I believe that the Painbringers at 150 or 160 wouldn’t have mattered. They felt fine, and did exactly what I planned on them doing. The Twinsouls likely would have felt much better at 30 points less for the unit, however they were absolutely fantastic and while the price tag sucks for list building, the 2” melee range was worth the cost. I feel they’re a little too much, but they did work and were hard to shift. So I can’t say they’re overcosted, and might be “too good” at the older cost.

However at 30 points less (60 overall) for the two units of Slickblades would have felt MUCH better. As I said the Blood Knights at 175 (or 195 either way) were just superior IMO. They did what I wanted my cavalry unit to do, they were pointed fairly and just overall seemed much better than Slickblades. They would have not felt OP at their older costs, and I truly believe they are overcosted right now. Blissbarb Archers weren’t bad, but also weren’t great. However that may be more how I played them, so further testing is 100% needed. That said though I feel they may have been much better (not sure they’d be too good though) at 180 they felt alright, and might be “too good” at 160. I feel a middle ground is a better place for them. The Unleash Hell has a lot of power behind it, and we could easily abuse it in a list if they were too cheap. 

The Endless Spell (Wheels) was useful, and helped generate a lot of depravity in the game, and would be totally under costed at its old price. The new rules for Endless Spells make them something the opponent has to try and remove, or can really help your game plan and ruin your opponents. This is something I feel they got 100% right. Spending 100 points feels bad for it, but felt totally fair after playing it several times. They truly are VERY different to use now. 

Summoning felt stupid powerful. Like game breaking powerful. However I’m not sure how much of that was accurate and how much was an inflated sense of points making me feel more powerful than it was. Summoning on average around 1500 points of models seems INSANE (averaged out 50 Daemonettes and 2 Keepers per game), but then again is it as insane as 1200 points? Maybe. It’s really hard to quantify. Daemonettes and Keepers did exactly what I needed them to, and were always a huge part of my victory, and it felt gross summoning more than 3/4s of my initial army in points into the game. But at the same time I would not have been happy I feel to spend 1500+ points on those models, so it’s certainly feels at this point that our summoning is amazing (MSU and what not going forward), but that shouldn’t be the reason they cost so many points. That’s backwards, and very confusing. So yeah summoning is super strong for us, but that’s because of the mechanic and not the points costs at all. The Daemonettes and Keepers are overpriced I feel based on my experiences so far. Great yes, but not 1500+ points great at all. That would not be a good army. 

As to what I felt I was missing? Honestly the list felt very well rounded and comfortable. I’m hoping to bang out the next 7 games before next weekend and will report back. I will say however I cannot consider Gluttos at 475. He was actually too good at 400, and is probably balanced at 475, but because everything else is so costly I don’t believe he’s a good investment overall. Likewise a lot of “support” pieces like the Contorted Epitome, and even Seekers would feel really solid in my lists, but I cannot find a place to cut them and to keep the efficiency we need to make sure summoning goes off. Even if I were to change out both units of Slickblades and the Blissbarbs I’d need to replace them with more combat oriented units that spread easy mortals or damage across the board. Like some mixture of Hellstriders and Blissbarb Seekers. Because summoning is so strong (and honestly the only thing that’s going to keep up remotely viable at this time IMO) we need the things to generate depravity, and while the “support” style units can do it; they give up too much of the battle line and the strengths we do have to be in the list at their costs. I want support pieces to be cheap, or at least cheaper. Even if that means toning them down somewhere. I just cannot justify support right now with points being so tight. 

Hopefully that gives a little insight into where my mind is at with the list and the faction. I have games against Orruks, Daughters, Lumineth and likely more Soulblight coming in the next few days. So hopefully I can give more context to what I'm seeing early, and as others get games in we can put our data together and see where we can shine, and what’s not just a knee-****** reaction from players, and needs something done about it. 

Edited by Lurynsar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I ran some numbers on Hellstriders versus Slickblades, and at their new costs I actually think you're just better off running Hellstriders instead now. 10 Hellstriders (split into two units of 5) cost 270 points, whereas 5 Slickblades cost 230 points. Their rough damage output is fairly similar, but Hellstriders (assuming you take Icons) are Bravery 8 so don't have to worry about Battleshock, and the number of wounds is the same but spread across two units meaning they are less susceptible to being focused down, and those wounds have a 4+ instead of a 5+. Hellstriders are also Battleline. Sadly, I don't think Slickblades are competitive anymore at 230. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Jaskier said:

I ran some numbers on Hellstriders versus Slickblades, and at their new costs I actually think you're just better off running Hellstriders instead now. 10 Hellstriders (split into two units of 5) cost 270 points, whereas 5 Slickblades cost 230 points. Their rough damage output is fairly similar, but Hellstriders (assuming you take Icons) are Bravery 8 so don't have to worry about Battleshock, and the number of wounds is the same but spread across two units meaning they are less susceptible to being focused down, and those wounds have a 4+ instead of a 5+. Hellstriders are also Battleline. Sadly, I don't think Slickblades are competitive anymore at 230. 

While our units can have other utility I think it might be worth looking at the damage our units do and how that compares when it comes to points, if I have time later I will try to do it myself.  It will be sad if I have to say bye to my slickblades for a while as they are some of my favourite models.  Though if slickblades don't seem worth it this puts blissbarb seekers in an even worse place as their damage compared really poorly to pretty much everything and got an even worse points increase than slickblades.

When it comes to models for future realises even if slaanesh had set the world on fire I doubt we would have got the lrl treatment range wise.  Our range feels pretty complete just now so I expect we would fall into category of just getting a new special character or leader and a book no matter what.  I just hope the devs can get over the fear the 1.0 slaanesh book has clearly left them with.

Edited by Apinecone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lurynsar said:

I do believe it’s hard to say. I should point out that in all 3 test games I did win. So having “more” certainly wouldn’t have been a detriment. 

That said, I do believe I can offer some insight on the take away’s if we had old points. 

My Hero choices are largely no different. The handful of points do not make or break the list. So having old costs for them wouldn’t have changed anything. 

When it comes to units I believe that the Painbringers at 150 or 160 wouldn’t have mattered. They felt fine, and did exactly what I planned on them doing. The Twinsouls likely would have felt much better at 30 points less for the unit, however they were absolutely fantastic and while the price tag sucks for list building, the 2” melee range was worth the cost. I feel they’re a little too much, but they did work and were hard to shift. So I can’t say they’re overcosted, and might be “too good” at the older cost.

However at 30 points less (60 overall) for the two units of Slickblades would have felt MUCH better. As I said the Blood Knights at 175 were just superior IMO. They did what I wanted my cavalry unit to do, they were pointed fairly and just overall seemed much better than Slickblades. They would have not felt OP at their older costs, and I truly believe they are overcosted right now. Blissbarb Archers weren’t bad, but also weren’t great. However that may be more how I played them, so further testing is 100% needed. That said though I feel they may have been much better (not sure they’d be too good though) at 180 instead of the 220. I feel a middle ground is a better place for them. The Unleash Hell has a lot of power behind it, and we could easily abuse it in a list if they were too cheap. 

The Endless Spell (Wheels) was useful, and helped generate a lot of depravity in the game, and would be totally under costed at its old price. The new rules for Endless Spells make them something the opponent has to try and remove, or can really help your game plan and ruin your opponents. This is something I feel they got 100% right. Spending 100 points feels bad for it, but felt totally fair after playing it several times. They truly are VERY different to use now. 

Summoning felt stupid powerful. Like game breaking powerful. However I’m not sure how much of that was accurate and how much was an inflated sense of points making me feel more powerful than it was. Summoning on average around 1500 points of models seems INSANE (averaged out 50 Daemonettes and 2 Keepers per game), but then again is it as insane as 1200 points? Maybe. It’s really hard to quantify. Daemonettes and Keepers did exactly what I needed them to, and were always a huge part of my victory, and it felt gross summoning more than 3/4s of my initial army in points into the game. But at the same time I would not have been happy I feel to spend 1500+ points on those models, so it’s certainly feels at this point that our summoning is amazing (MSU and what not going forward), but that shouldn’t be the reason they cost so many points. That’s backwards, and very confusing. So yeah summoning is super strong for us, but that’s because of the mechanic and not the points costs at all. The Daemonettes and Keepers are overpriced I feel based on my experiences so far. Great yes, but not 1500+ points great at all. That would not be a good army. 

As to what I felt I was missing? Honestly the list felt very well rounded and comfortable. I’m hoping to bang out the next 7 games before next weekend and will report back. I will say however I cannot consider Gluttos at 475. He was actually too good at 400, and is probably balanced at 475, but because everything else is so costly I don’t believe he’s a good investment overall. Likewise a lot of “support” pieces like the Contorted Epitome, and even Seekers would feel really solid in my lists, but I cannot find a place to cut them and to keep the efficiency we need to make sure summoning goes off. Even if I were to change out both units of Slickblades and the Blissbarbs I’d need to replace them with more combat oriented units that spread easy mortals or damage across the board. Like some mixture of Hellstriders and Blissbarb Seekers. Because summoning is so strong (and honestly the only thing that’s going to keep up remotely viable at this time IMO) we need the things to generate depravity, and while the “support” style units can do it; they give up too much of the battle line and the strengths we do have to be in the list at their costs. I want support pieces to be cheap, or at least cheaper. Even if that means toning them down somewhere. I just cannot justify support right now with points being so tight. 

Hopefully that gives a little insight into where my mind is at with the list and the faction. I have games against Orruks, Daughters, Lumineth and likely more Soulblight coming in the next few days. So hopefully I can give more context to what I'm seeing early, and as others get games in we can put our data together and see where we can shine, and what’s not just a knee-****** reaction from players, and needs something done about it. 

Thanks for the feedback. This echoes my worries mostly: I'm ok with certain things going up in points (mainly Eternal Spells, a modest increase to KoS and Glutos) and with the LoP tax to get Myrm/Symbs as battleline, but there are some units you just can't include in your lists now, and they happen to be really iconic units too (KoS, Daemonettes, Epitome). I honestly don't give a damn about playing a high competitive army, but I do want to be able to play my amazing miniatures I spent time building and painting, and just a tone down of the worst price hikes would do that

Edited by Benkei
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Apinecone said:

While our units can have other utility I think it might be worth looking at the damage our units do and how that compares when it comes to points, if I have time later I will try to do it myself.  It will be sad if I have to say bye to my slickblades for a while as they are some of my favourite models.  Though if slickblades don't seem worth it this puts blissbarb seekers in an even worse place as their damage compared really poorly to pretty much everything and got an even worse points increase than slickblades.

When it comes to models for future realises even if slaanesh had set the world on fire I doubt we would have got the lrl treatment range wise.  Our range feels pretty complete just now so I expect we would fall into category of just getting a new special character or leader and a book no matter what.  I just hope the devs can get over the fear the 1.0 slaanesh book has clearly left them with.

The kits I think left that hedonites could do with is small, probably saved for some future thing

-Foot slickblades

-new daemonettes

-new seekers/chariots

-mounted lord of pain/wizard

new daemons could be justified in a 40k release leaving really just foot slickblades and a mounted hero as things the army wants to have. The new hero could easily just be a "broken realms" style drop sometime in future. 

For rules that would be nice on a mounted lord either command ability to advance + charge, or something funky like "once per turn can give the redeploy order or an aura of +3 to redeploy move". I feel Slaanesh as faction should have more access to redeploy, we are supposed to be fast and glass canon, having ability to easily move back when charged will help. It also is thematic with teasing opponent. Honestly I was expecting either blissbarb archers or blissbarb seekers to have a retreat when charge option built in to represent them more as skirmish archers. 

Skill wise that lets hedonites play more into skillfull positioning that is punished if you mess up and only take fights that we want to take. 

15 hours ago, Nagashfan said:

Also that sphinx thing -2 bravery plus Archaon -2 could be fun and they can make units fight last also it’s old locus all over again!

I definitely recommend picking up a Sphiranx. Not necessarily because it's good in game (although it looks quite solid right now), but because it's so much fun to paint that I bought two. And I don't even have a Chaos army.

20210620_163412.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I have been running some of the damage numbers though pretty roughly so do not take this as gospel.  I also need to find some good base line units for comparison to put this into a bigger picture, I am open to ideas here. The best damage to points our best unit is the pageant by a fair margin, even though they can't stack their mortals with the exploding to hits any more.  After that twinsouls with rerolls are the best we have against anything with a 4+ save or worse, against 3+ or better it is still slickblades.  Hellstriders with claws get close to slickblades if they get the charge off but if not they will do significantly less damage, after that it all goes downhill.

When it comes to heroes the exalted herald with flaming weapon did a lot better than I expected only really being outclassed by dexcessa with a couple of rounds of extra attacks and siggy if he gets off a good charge roll.  I have found them flimsy in the past but maybe the 5+ ward artifact could help out here.  Siggy seems really dependent on the extra attacks from his charge to pull in respectable numbers, though this is not accounting for how he ignores after saves or fights first.  On the disappointing side the keeper even at top bracket isn't pulling their weight and the masque also puts really poor damage for their cost really paying for the 6" pile in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I definitely recommend picking up a Sphiranx. Not necessarily because it's good in game (although it looks quite solid right now), but because it's so much fun to paint that I bought two. And I don't even have a Chaos army.

20210620_163412.jpg

I am desperate to know how you painted the right one, that's exactly how I wanted to do all my daemons and would be a good baseline for frozen skin on the mortals too.

Masque is going to be a good inclusion though in our armies. Her run and charge and 6" pile allows her to evade unleash hell and can tie up ranged units. She's also one of the cheaper heroes to throw in for subcommander requirements. She's fairly resilient with her ability to heal and a 4+ ward. Finest hour would have her at 4+/4++ 6+d3 3/3/-1/1. It's definitely not great. But she's likely rerolling hits and wounds. Against light shooting units, she can tear them down and force battleshock. 

• Like 1

What are your opinions on the price hike... do you think its some form of summoning tax?

I don't play slaanesh, but comparing the stand-out units seems crazy...

230 for 5 slick blades vs 195 for blood knights.

180 for 10 archers vs 150 for sentinels.

130 for daemonettes vs 115 for bloodletters.

It definitely feels heavy handed, I'd like to think there's a reason.

I have experience playing vs slaanesh and those costs really seem out, I'd put slicks at 170 maybe 180, archers 140, daemonettes 115.

Edited by Ghoooouls

18 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

What are your opinions on the price hike... do you think its some form of summoning tax?

I don't play slaanesh, but comparing the stand-out units seems crazy...

230 for 5 slick blades vs 195 for blood knights.

180 for 10 archers vs 150 for sentinels.

130 for daemonettes vs 115 for bloodletters.

It definitely feels heavy handed, I'd like to think there's a reason.

I have experience playing vs slaanesh and those costs really seem out, I'd put slicks at 170 maybe 180, archers 140, daemonettes 115.

100%. Our summoning is very strong. It is without a doubt the most powerful aspect of our army, and it’s really hard to quantify on paper. Okay experience has shown me that 3rd edition summoning is way more powerful than in 2nd and I expect to find new ways to push it to be even stronger. 

That said in my experiences I’ve also found that Daemonettes, Keepers and Slickblades are likely overcosted. I’ll have to play more games with them to confirm it, but yeah. They aren’t worth the points so far (but summoning the ones we can is awesome, but doesn’t help the points). Blissbarbs are a mixed bag. They’re more expensive than they should be maybe, but the ability to generate depravity at range and combined with Unleash Hell in the battle lines is also very very potent. I’d be hesitant to touching their points until the meta really settled and we saw the effect they have. They were sorta meh to me, but I can easily see them being too good if we can spam them cheaply. So it’s a real conundrum there so far in my mind.

The long and the short of it is we really need to make sure we are using summoning. So use archers and endless spells (seriously love them right now) to generate it early, and push hard in the middle of the board to keep the momentum and summon, summon and then summon some more.  

• Like 3

With 3.0 rules in mind I wouldn't mind if the hosts were adjusted as some are weak

Invaders

The best host, honestly I think lurid haze should just be built into it

Godseekers

Solid, keep the extra movement, maybe build in the exalted speed knights for pre game move on mounted units or bake in scarlet cavalcade

Pretenders

Currently only really works for a super keeper and not even very good of a one, Personally id change the rule for "general can have up to 3 command abilities, and has no limit on the usages of finest hour". This not only makes the super keeper more reliable, but means if you want to run a named character in pretenders they actually get a little more out of it. Bake faultless blades into the host

if I could design two extra hosts for glutos and sigvald

-Sigvalds Mirror guard- MYRMIDESH PAINBRINGERS in this host gain re roll wounds. Sigvald cannot be targeted whilst within 6" of a friendly MYRMIDESH PAINBRINGER unit. Gain 1dp for every unit Sigvald destroys in combat

Command ability- Mirror shields- , units in combat with targeted Myrmidesh painbringer units must re roll successful hits

-Glutos' Banquet-"CONSUME EVERY DROP" For every unit Destroyed within 6" of Glutos treat the battle round for grand gournmand as 1 higher than it currently is. Gain 1 depravity for each unit destroyed this battle round. 

Command ability- Driven by hunger- target unit within 6" of glutos may run and charge

Id give the twins one that basically means they can transferred suffered wounds to the other, so dexcessa takes a hit, synessa can take the wounds. Command Ability swaps the models places on the battlefield.

• Like 2

As I've said before, I'd rather our summoning costs increase to let our points decrease. I'd rather have more units on the board than have to rely on summoning to feel like we have a chance. If I only ever summoning A keeper, then great. I'd love it. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

54 minutes ago, docofallplagues said:

I am desperate to know how you painted the right one, that's exactly how I wanted to do all my daemons and would be a good baseline for frozen skin on the mortals too.

It's been a while since I painted that kitty, but I believe these were the main paints I used:

20210620_184733.jpg.a41edd9bc47bcd018336448d6a1d8146.jpg

Inks on the left, metallics in the middle, paints on the right.

I don't have a recipe you can follow because on single models I just mess around until they look good. The sphiranx was an exercise in value sketching, so it's a fairly low effort paint job.

Start from a black/white zenithal base coat. Drybrush (soft, big makeup brushes) or otherwise layer upward grey/verdigris/white. Mix paints to get a good transition.

Tint everything blue with a blue ink wash. Mix blue with strong tone for the deepest shadows. Do back and forth between drybrushing and washes until it looks good. Be careful, blue game ink dries fairly glossy. Thin it down enough so that it's not an issue or put on a coat of matte varnish in the end.

Metallics are NMM techniques with metallic paints. I don't have a dark silver, so I get darker silver shades by mixing metallics with black ink.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnith said:

As I've said before, I'd rather our summoning costs increase to let our points decrease. I'd rather have more units on the board than have to rely on summoning to feel like we have a chance. If I only ever summoning A keeper, then great. I'd love it. 

Doesnt help that it feels the optimum way to play slaanesh is 90% old daemonettes, hellstriders and seekers which all look like ass compared to new stuff. 

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's been a while since I painted that kitty, but I believe these were the main paints I used:

20210620_184733.jpg.a41edd9bc47bcd018336448d6a1d8146.jpg

Inks on the left, metallics in the middle, paints on the right.

I don't have a recipe you can follow because on single models I just mess around until they look good. The sphiranx was an exercise in value sketching, so it's a fairly low effort paint job.

Start from a black/white zenithal base coat. Drybrush (soft, big makeup brushes) or otherwise layer upward grey/verdigris/white. Mix paints to get a good transition.

Tint everything blue with a blue ink wash. Mix blue with strong tone for the deepest shadows. Do back and forth between drybrushing and washes until it looks good. Be careful, blue game ink dries fairly glossy. Thin it down enough so that it's not an issue or put on a coat of matte varnish in the end.

Metallics are NMM techniques with metallic paints. I don't have a dark silver, so I get darker silver shades by mixing metallics with black ink.

Thanks a million, it's primarily for seekers, instead of purple backs to lighter purple/pink underbellies I'm not planning on using that scheme to go from deep blue to white underneath 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carnith said:

Personally, I never understood why summoning was ever the main focus of Slaanesh. Out of the four chaos gods, why is the Prince of Pleasure considered the summoning god? It doesn’t make sense lore-wise, and it just seems GW didn’t know what to do with HoS when it first released, so they made Uber-summoning the main focus of the army from the lack of inspiration. 

It would of been far more interesting and balanced (for us and the meta) if depravity points could also be used on in-game unit buffs, similar to but also diametrically opposed to Slaanesh’s counterpart, Khorne. Whereas Khorne’s units gain the potential to become stronger for a turn after killing a unit, Slaanesh’s followers would gain spendable, single turn bonuses that alter the battlefield or make certain units more powerful after damaging units. For example, instead of summoning 30 Daemonettes, you can choose up to d3 unit to attack twice, or you can force a single enemy unit to attack last in the combat phase (the old locus of diversion rule). It would be costly but very useful, which is why it’s an end-game ability that requires to you save your DP instead of just spamming mass-Daemonettes. 

Granted, it’s a lot easier to damage something as opposed to destroying it, and would make sense for the DP costs for summoning and these theoretical abilities to be higher than the cost requirements in Khorne’s bloodtithe system; if it reduces our point costs then I would be all for it. 

I’m probably going to be focused on the painting and basing component of the hobby for the next couple of months, as opposed to the gaming aspect, to give myself a break and to observe how we stand after the meta begins to settle in 3rd. It’ll give me time to observe other’s experiences, and make some stronger conclusions; though my gut instinct tells me that the points are incredibly over-priced. Hopefully the FAQ addresses some of the problems, but I doubt it. 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1